Start by marking “Another Way Home: The Tangled Roots of Race in One Chicago Family” as Want to Read:
Another Way Home: The Tangled Roots of Race in One Chicago Family

Another Way Home: The Tangled Roots of Race in One Chicago Family

In her prologue to Another Way Home, Ronne Hartfield notes the dearth of stories about African Americans who have occupied the area of mixed race with ease and harmony for generations. Her moving family history is filled with such stories, told in beautifully crafted and unsentimental prose. Spanning most of the twentieth century, Hartfield's book celebrates the special oc ...more
Published October 15th 2004 by University Of Chicago Press

To ask other readers questions about Another Way Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Way Home

Rebecca Waring-Crane
Assigned for a creative non-fiction class this was a wonderful example of family memory. The author spoke to the class explaining the process of research, writing and publication as she approached it. I now own an autographed copy.
Ciana
Nov 08, 2011 Ciana rated it liked it
This book was definitely an interesting read, but being a Chicagoan I really wanted to read more about the city and the family interacted with its history.
Wanda
Jan 16, 2011 Wanda rated it really liked it
One of my friend's mother wrote this book and I had the pleasure of meeting her during a book signing. I enjoyed reading this book and learning the family history.
Mary
Mar 23, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1CAnother Way home 1D is the fascinating (and sometimes shocking) memoir about the lives of several generations of a close knit, multi-racial American family in the American Deep South and, later, in a more normal environment in Chicago. The book is touching and beautifully written. I recommend it whole-heartedly.
Gunter Nitsch
Jan 17, 2016 Gunter Nitsch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Flan
Dec 09, 2012 Flan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book! This book tells the story about a family in a hidden demographic in our country. It tells the multi-generational tale of a family that for a hundred years has been a mixed-race family. It is a love story, an homage and a historical document of people seldom mentioned in the history books.

I highly reccommend this little gem.

Margaret McCamant
I'm reading this now, but talked about it at the book group and it's been chosen for October. I met the author at a meeting when I invited her to sit in the empty seat next to me. We discovered a number of common interests and friends, and she sent me a copy of her book.
Betsy
Betsy rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2013
Melina
Melina rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2009
De'Juan
De'Juan rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2012
Chef Shannon
Chef Shannon rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Alice
Alice rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2008
Yyarde
Yyarde rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2012
Yamilett
Yamilett rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2007
Jill
Jill rated it it was ok
May 28, 2010
Kerri Hubbard
Kerri Hubbard rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2015
Melina
Melina rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2009
Krista
Feb 14, 2008 Krista rated it liked it
it was good, but not what I expected....
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Pauly
Pauly rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Maria Fernanda
Maria Fernanda rated it it was ok
Jul 05, 2007
Kari
Kari rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2012
Maiamali
Maiamali rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2011
Deditra Zabinski
Deditra Zabinski rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2012
Adela Crandell Durkee
Adela Crandell Durkee rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2015
Brenda
Brenda rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2009
Laviyah Ayanna
Laviyah Ayanna rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2013