Start by marking “The Shakespeare Secret” as Want to Read:
The Shakespeare Secret

The Shakespeare Secret (Kate Stanley #1)

3.43  ·  Rating Details ·  6,102 Ratings  ·  1,128 Reviews
A modern serial killer - hunting an ancient secret.

A woman is left to die as the rebuilt Globe theatre burns. Another woman is drowned like Ophelia, skirts swirling in the water. A professor has his throat slashed open on the steps of Washington’s Capitol building.

A deadly serial killer is on the loose, modelling his murders on Shakespeare’s plays. But why is he killing? A
Published (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Shakespeare Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shakespeare Secret

John
Jan 27, 2008 John rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Peoplpe I dislike. Vivisectionists etc.
Recommended to John by: Simon Mayo Book Panel - what a bunch of plonkers
Oh my... it didn't go well at all.... how can this possibly be the same book that some people have given 4 or 5 stars to. It really baffles me.

I am one of those poor/deluded individuals [and yes - I actually believe there are more of us than some would admit] that actually enjoyed the Da Vinci Code. Believe me.... it was a literary masterpiece in comparison to this nightmare.

Against my better judgement I continued reading long past the point where the book usually gets sent to a furnace. I am n
erin
Dec 04, 2009 erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man, everyone is taking this too seriously. Suspend disbelief and read the novel as a novel! This is not supposed to be literary fiction or intellectually hip nonfiction. This is essentially a murder mysteryish lit thriller! Sheesh!

I may have more warm fuzzies for this book because it kept me entertained while being sick for way too long, but I completely enjoyed it. While I get the Dan Brown comparisons as this was a run-around-the-world-and-find-out-secret-scholarly-stuff-and-other-conspiracie
Alison Looney
Sep 04, 2008 Alison Looney rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Good lord in heaven, this book is a train wreck. It's almost impressive that a plot this unoriginal could also be so maddeningly complicated. I'm somewhat familiar with Shakespeare's plays and the times in which he wrote them, but the jumbled cast of historical characters is impossible to keep straight. I'm surprised the affectedly plucky leading lady could keep track of her own research.

And, of course, the reader is treated to plenty of clichéd (or "classic," if you're being generous) mystery
Angela
Dec 22, 2008 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I have a confession to make, and it is this: I am simultaneously repelled by and attracted to books that shamelessly mention The Da Vinci Code in their blurbs. I think a small part of me keeps hoping that somebody will come along that will take what Dan Brown tried to do with that book and do it again, only better.

The problem is, Interred with Their Bones doesn't do this. It has one major advantage over The Da Vinci Code in that Carrell's prose is infinitely more able than Brown's, but once you
Alan
Dec 27, 2008 Alan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unintelligible romp through pseudo history, December 27, 2008
By Alan A. Elsner "Alan Elsner, author" (Washington DC) - See all my reviews

I thought that this book, promising a historic romp through Elizbathan England, probing the many mysteries surrounding the life and identity of William Shakespeare, would be just up my alley. It combines several themes I love -- history, thrillers, England and Shakespeare. Unfortunately, it fell far short of its promise.
The author clearly loves her history a
Christa
Jul 04, 2008 Christa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I found this book to be fast moving, action packed, and engrossing. The life of Kate Stanley, a former Shakespearean academician and current Shakespearean play director, is shaken when her former mentor, Roz, visits her and is then found dead after a fire in the theater where Kate is working. Kate was given a gift by her mentor hours before her death, and it is the first clue to solving a Shakespearean puzzle. Kate chases clues from England to Harvard University to the American southwest, and th ...more
Kristy
Abandoned because this literary cliche is really starting to irk me. Another member of the Dan Brown School of Lazy History Mysteries, "Interred With Their Bones" is irritating from the beginning. Let's follow the formula, shall we?

1a. Main Character: Literary expert in their field, especially on a specific cult author or text. Text tends to be European. In the case of Graham Moore's eyeroll-worthy book "The Sherlockian," it was Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. In this case, MC Kate Stanley is an expert
LJ
INTERRED WITH THEIR BONES (Suspense-Kate Stanley-Int’l-Cont) – G
Carrell, Jennifer Lee – 1st novel
Dutton, 2007, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780525949701

First Sentence: From the river, it looked as if two suns were setting over London.

Kate Stanley is a Shakespeare scholar who has left the halls of academia for the boards of the Globe Theatre. Her Harvard mentor and friend, Rosalind “Roz” Howard, comes to see her as Kate is preparing her debut of “Hamlet,” giving her a wrapped present and asking that the
Brooke
Sep 24, 2007 Brooke rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, 2009
I had warned myself long ago about avoiding books that tried to jump on the DaVinci Code bandwagon, since they seemed to be slapped together without much care in hopes of capturing the attention of one of the millions of people who had spent money on Dan Brown's blockbuster. I let down my guard with Interred with Their Bones - it was about Shakespeare, not mysterious religious texts, after all. Missing Shakespeare plays! The secret identity of the playwright! Should be excellent.

Except, not.

I w
Oreotalpa
Nov 15, 2010 Oreotalpa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Melissa
Feb 02, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Several months back I happened on a book called Codex which I had hoped to follow in the footsteps of other books I enjoyed about lost manuscripts and literary mysteries. Codex disappointed me severely, but at last I seem to have gotten my wish with Interred with Their Bones.

If such a comparison were necessary, I'd call it a cross between Possession and The DaVinci Code. It is not quite the page-turner that Dan Brown's book is, but then it doesn't have that cheesy "tv-movie-of-the-week" feel ei
Caitlin
I think the best word to describe this book would be derivative. It's the kind of "international chase to uncover secrets of the past" thriller that has become rather formulaic of late. This version adds on the literary weight of Shakespeare, which only intensifies the cliche. If we're not looking for the descendants of Jesus, Shakespeare's lost play is probably the next best thing.
The novel isn't a complete loss. The writing is fact-paced and the set-up is decently entertaining. But sometimes
Linda
Feb 25, 2014 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quest
Theatre director Kate Stanley receives a gift from her mentor, who later is found murdered. Kate follows the clues in the package and is soon on the verge of discovering something extraordinary.

Being an interesting story in general, the book still runs the risk of loosing the reader's attention. There's a lack of generous descriptions and first hand perspective. Kate's feelings isn't always clear. She often seems unaware, or even ignorant, of the danger she is in, which only serves as a diminish
Nicole
Dec 28, 2008 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
In Interred With Their Bones, author Jennifer Lee Carrell plunges you without delay into a suspenseful story revolving around Shakespeare and the burning of The Globe Theatre. In the present day Globe, Kate Stanley is directing soon to be premiered Hamlet when Rosalind Howard, her mentor not seen for many years, asks her to take a gift - an adventure, a secret - and follow when it leads…The Globe Theatre is on fire, the same day when The Globe Theatre burned in 1613 and Rosalind Howard is found ...more
Jessy
This book was just all around fantastic. When I was finished with all Dan Brown had to offer for Robert Langdon, I found myself at a loss when it came to finding such a thrilling, intelligent plot. Interred With Their Bones was just was I was looking for. The adrenaline rush, the intrigue, the historical info - it was just incredibly well rounded. I found it really difficult just to put it down.

The plot was unlike anything I'd ever seen before. It toyed with the mysteries around the famous poet
Laura de Leon
Feb 10, 2009 Laura de Leon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lm-book-club, mystery
This was a hugely fun chase through Shakespeare's work and Shakespeare's lore, including the question of who wrote the works we give Shakespeare's name to.

This book was exactly what it set out to be. Cryptic clues! Chases! Near Escapes!

I know enough about Shakespeare that most of the references in the book rang a bell, but not enough that I could say if any of the conclusions they drew from the clues actually made sense. They all sounded good in the book, though.

With any book of this sort, you
Tracey
Jun 12, 2010 Tracey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, historical, 2010
It was okay as book reads go. The story line was out there and wholly unbelievable which made it fun.

I brought this book at a second hand book store and having finished the book found the following written black biro at the back:
"I, Matthew Jamieson 17/04/2008, Solemley swear that if I should ever, in the future attempt to wear muscle shirts and look "cool" when I am clearly not, that I will immediately cease this behaviour, or else have my ass kicked. Sincerely Matthew Jamieson" I should point
Sue Smith
I find writing thoughts down about books like this one are hard. It wasn't bad. It wasn't breath taking either. It was a pretty action packed novel that is based on the knowledge of Shakespeare - the plots, the ins-and-outs, the characters, the drama - a mystery that was wrapped around the Bard himself.

Unfortunately, it read too much like a Dan Brown novel, but the specialist in this case was a whiz in Shakespeare lore and the holy grail was a missing play. Even the bad guy ended up being a tru
Aoibhínn
The novel is well written entertaining and enjoyable read that combines the hunt for a modern day serial killer who kills his victims by re-enacting some of Shakespeare’s finest death scenes and some possibly true revelations from the life of William Shakespeare himself. Did Shakespeare actually write his own plays and sonnets? Was he really who he said he was? Is there a lost play? You can read the book and make up your own mind.
Christine_v
I really enjoyed this book. It was very easy to read and the story was fast and interesting. I liked all the historical information about Shakespeare and his work.
And for once I didn't hate the protagonist. At times she was blind about her companions but in general she took well the facts and tried to make the best of them.
I would recommend it, if you enjoy lots of information about Shakespeare and his life and an intense travel around the world to gather them first, before the killer.
Brian Benson
May 23, 2015 Brian Benson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally different writing style than other whodunnits I have read. Once I got into the story, I really liked her style. She definitely knows how to turn a phrase. I will for sure read her next offering...
Jane
Feb 15, 2008 Jane rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I haven't actually finished it yet, but this is the worst book I've come close to finishing in a while. Proof that I really shouldn't buy bargain books at Tesco.
Tusar Thakur
Lacked suspense quotient, Tension never built, never connected with the characters. Research though seemed substantive yet lacked the punch and coherence.
Anachronist
What I liked:

Firstly and foremostly I loved the fact that Jennifer Lee Carrell really knew what she was writing about. She is not one of these authors which make factual mistakes, leading their characters on a wild-goose chase to places which don't exist. When she describes a library or a cave you can feel she was and worked there herself. After just a page or two It became obvious that her research and love of the subject is phenomenal. I found myself literally sucked into the various debates t
Sandra
Mar 10, 2017 Sandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story wasn't that bad, however it was really reminiscent of the Da Vinci Code and was hard to follow at times.
Farnoosh Brock
Imagine reading a book filled with quotes, anecdotes, and plots from Shakespeare’s masterpieces!I did not choose to read “The Shakespeare Secret” for the plot or the author. I chose it so I could leaf through bits and pieces of quotes from the bard’s masterpieces, and perhaps get closer to the world of Shakespeare, one that I plan to study in more depth someday.

On the matter of writing style and mastery of language, I think Carrell is a solid author, albeit an extremely difficult one for me to f
Georgia
May 20, 2016 Georgia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boy, this book was tough. I almost wanted to boost it up to 2 stars because I did make it to the end, but during the last 3 discs, I was wishing I was doing anything else. I am a Shakespeare maniac. I studied Shakespeare in grad school, have taught it to actors, stage managed Shakespeare productions, and I have a blog. It takes a lot to make me uninterested in something Shakespeare-adjacent, but Interred with Their Bones managed it.

I listened to the audio version because I have a long commute.
Tina
May 25, 2010 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“At the far end of a maze of police barriers and command tents, we came at last to a wide set of double doors. I frowned. They looked like the main doors to the theater. ‘Had to sacrifice everything else,’ said the fire chief… ‘But I think we’ve saved the Globe.’” (p. 21)
“’He looked round and then leaned in close. ‘It’s the First Folio. After the fire last night, the Widener rotunda’s littered with partly charred pages and scraps of the Gutenberg, but so far, they’ve found no identifiable trac
Amanda
Sep 02, 2008 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone up for a fun read.
Being curious I grabbed this book at the library and held no expectations for what I was going to read. I find that is the best going into any book.

I found the story and plot very complex but entertaining. I found the book to be a great middle of The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova and Davinci Code by Dan Brown. There were quite a lot of twists that kept me guessing and plenty of action. (hence Davinci Code) More than that though, the Author wound herself through every theroy that has existed wit
Betita
Dec 26, 2008 Betita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emprestado
Um livro denso mas maravilhoso.
Há uma busca incessante por uma peça desaparecida de Shakespeare, mas mais que tudo pela verdadeira identidade do próprio Shakespeare, tudo isto misturado com assassinios, fugas mirabolantes e ainda tudo interligado com muitas cenas das peças do grande dramaturgo Inglês.
Este é sem duvida um daqueles livros que nos faz ADORAR ler!

William Shakespeare
É certo que muito pouco se sabe sobre a vida de William Shakespeare. Shakespeare nasceu e foi criado em Stratford-upon-
Fiction Fanatics: March 2013 - Interred with their Bones 13 28 Mar 16, 2013 09:56PM
Goodreads Librari...: Help with book cover and edition 9 170 Jul 12, 2012 05:53AM
Who would be in the movie version? 3 25 Jan 02, 2012 06:27AM
  • Will
  • The Medici Secret
  • Sphinx
  • A Plague of Lies
  • The Gentle Axe (Porfiry Petrovich, #1)
  • The Gentleman Poet: A Novel of Love, Danger, and Shakespeare's The Tempest
  • Anatomy of Murder (Crowther and Westerman, #2)
  • The Seventh Sacrament (Nic Costa, #5)
  • Candle Flame (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan #13)
  • The Intelligencer
  • The Killing Way (Arthurian Mysteries, #1)
  • Girl in a Red Tunic (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #8)
  • The Marks Of Cain
  • The Rose Labyrinth
  • The Book of Unholy Mischief
  • The Poe Shadow
  • The Linguist and the Emperor: Napoleon and Champollion's Quest to Decipher the Rosetta Stone
  • The Mask of Atreus
I've always wanted to write books; early on, my fallback career choices were ballerina and astronaut. It has something of a surprise, though, to find myself writing thrillers. I am now working on a novel of historical fiction about one of my favorite paintings, Jan Van Eyck's Arnolfini Wedding.

Learn more at my web site: www.jenniferleecarrell.com , or visit me on Facebook . I welcome interaction
More about Jennifer Lee Carrell...

Kate Stanley (2 books)
  • Haunt Me Still (Kate Stanley, #2)

“That the good that we do might live on after us, while the evil lies interred with their bones.” 9 likes
“Right, then.” He pointed across to a bank of phones against the wall. “If you want to check your voice mail, now’s the time.”
“Where’s my phone?”
“Out of service.”
“It was fine in the car.”
“It’s not fine now.”
“What’d you do to it?”
“Put it out of our misery. I’m sorry, Kate. But every minute it’s on, you’re traceable to within the length of a football field, anywhere on the planet.”
3 likes