Start by marking “Taken by Surprise” as Want to Read:
Taken by Surprise

Taken by Surprise

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  163 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Snow is falling around the Aspen cabin that Leigh Insley never has time to visit. As winter gathers closer she wonders if it might finally be time to sell her getaway retreat. It’s only a few hours from Denver, true, but her career as a corporate lawyer has left her little time to enjoy it, and the years have ticked by, almost unnoticed.

Snow and ice are part of Margo Tosch
Published November 8th 2011 by Bella Books (first published October 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Taken by Surprise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taken by Surprise

Victoria
Dec 29, 2014 Victoria rated it liked it
Would have been a great book if not for the way she ends it, like all the books I've read by Ms. White.
Cidney
Nov 13, 2011 Cidney rated it it was ok
Upper class 48 year old curmudgeon femme lawyer meets middle aged flannel-clad mountain woman butch with a trucker's stench while in Aspen selling her cabin out there. This manly woman isn't good enough to lick Leigh's $300 dollar boots, yet over the course of the story she stops behaving like a crotchety old bat.

Not very likeable characters. Sex is mild (and one-sided)... sexiness, nonexistent. Nice setting, but this story isn't my cup of tea, folks. Sorry. This writer can actually write... but
Kennedy
Jul 15, 2014 Kennedy rated it really liked it
Leigh and Margo, very difference people yet in my opinion, they have one thing in common, passion. Leigh, work and Margo, Lindsey. My main focus was on Margo and her care and love of Lindsey. My secondary focus, the blooming relationship between Leigh and Margo. The one-sided love making was disappointing because both women had physical needs.
justLezfic
Jul 08, 2016 justLezfic rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, butch-femme, ff
A romance for grandma...

First, let me offer up a disclaimer. I didn't like this story. BUT. There is an audience for authors like this... it's just not me. If you don't mind low key romances that pay no mind to sexiness, sexual tension, the whole build up, and drag you through a mostly plotless story with unlikeable, screwed up older characters... all done by a writer who, technically, writes well... this is the writer for you. You might also like Lori L. Lake's latest.

This tale follows a stuck
Lady Avalon
Jun 22, 2016 Lady Avalon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesbian
Alberta
Jan 13, 2013 Alberta rated it it was ok
I chose this book since it is a finalist for an award and I liked the setting. The story sounded promising so I expected to read a good romance set in Aspen. However, I had major problems with the characters. I just did not like them'at all. Margo is introduced as a woman that smells and feels comfortable in garbage (old food on the floor) and Leigh, the lawyer, is just plain rude and seemed completely fake. She is supposed to be this tough business woman but before you know it, she behaves like ...more
Alida
Dec 29, 2014 Alida rated it it was ok
What prevented me from giving it more stars was the fact that Margo's character development was quite weak. We discover that Margo has feelings for Leigh somewhere in the middle of the book in just one sentence?! That's just weak sauce.
Rashika Deo
May 10, 2014 Rashika Deo rated it liked it
slow moving with slam in love. nice read. did not understand some character s. but a really good read
Alena
May 02, 2014 Alena rated it liked it
Shelves: queer, fiction
As all Kenna White books I've read so far it comes with an abrupt, unsatisfying ending, but otherwise a lovely story.
Lira
May 06, 2013 Lira rated it really liked it
I liked it. I'm glad I didn't let other reviews disuade me. One thing I can say is I thought some of the characters were pointless filler and I could have done without. I enjoyed the main characters and I could see this happening any time. Sometimes love just hits you when you least expect it with the most unlikely person. Sweet ending.
Tamara
Dec 20, 2012 Tamara rated it did not like it
I know she didn't have many pages to create a believable romance...can these lesbian romance books get any thinnner?...but this book illustrates the U-Haul relationship perfectly. One date, one rousing bout of sex and they're in love. Amazing. At least it was a quick read.
Melissa
Jul 16, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it
Definitely not the best book I have ever read. The story line had potential, but I felt that it never quite got there. The two leads were at times unlikeable and seemed unreachable emotionally. That was hard to connect too. An okay read for sure.
Nolly  Sepulveda
Nov 13, 2011 Nolly Sepulveda rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book, and the characters only wish it was longer.
Amirantha
Amirantha marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Lexi Dynon
Lexi Dynon marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Brenna
Brenna is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2016
Basiliskfire
Basiliskfire marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Laurie
Laurie rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Tonyaprice
Tonyaprice rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2016
Et
Et rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Tina
Tina rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2016
Deirdre
Deirdre marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
CLo
CLo marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Sharon
Sharon is currently reading it
May 24, 2016
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
B.J. Somerville
B.J. Somerville rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
Ming
Ming added it
May 10, 2016
Katherine Penix
Katherine Penix rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
  • Warming Trend
  • Breaker's Passion
  • Fresh Tracks
  • Snow Falls
  • Backwards to Oregon
  • Wasted Heart
  • Worth the Risk
  • Pirate's Fortune (Supreme Constellations, #4)
  • Legacy of Love
  • Turn Back Time
  • The Candidate
  • It Should Be a Crime
Award winner, Kenna White, has been a best-selling romance author with Bella Books since 2004. She resides in Southwest Missouri where she likes her feet bare, her jeans faded, and her cream cheese brownies plentiful. She enjoys traveling, creating dollhouse miniatures, being with her family and friends, and writing with a good cup of coffee by her side. (from the author's website)
More about Kenna White...