Pet Show!

Pet Show! (Peter #7)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  326 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Archie wants to enter his cat in the neighborhood pet show--but the cat has vanished! Though all the kids look for him, he's nowhere to be found. But Archie keeps looking. However, the pet he finally brings isn't the cat, but one of the most surprising ever!
Published September 10th 2001 by Puffin (first published 1972)

Jeanette
Something about this book just drew me and the kids in. We loved it. At first my kids were excited about it because Peter from The Snowy Day was in it. Once I started reading it there wasn't a fidget, squirm or stray eye. Would Archie find the cat in time for the pet show? What prizes were all the other kids getting for their pets? And the ending was just, well, sweet.
The illustrations are wonderful and vibrant and I am sure that is part of the appeal for my kids.
I know Ezra Jack Keats is well...more
Angela Moorer
This is another favorite of mine. I like the imaginative nature of the character in the story. Ezra Jack Keats is one of my favorites because he bring real life issues into his stories. I would definitely attempt to have a class pet show and use this book to open up the idea. Students can make pets and tell all about their creations.
Rosa Cline
Mr Keats does such a wonderful job at teaching the listener-reader but not being 'in their face' with that lesson. Along with the beautiful illustrations! I really enjoyed reading this book to by 2 year old granddaughter.

The neighborhood was having a pet show and the little boy kept trying to find his cat; he couldn't find him. And the show had started everyone was winning a prize. And an elderly lady walks up and the cat by her side and the judges gives her the blue ribbon for the best pet. La...more
Britt Guild
I'm thrilled to have found more of Keats' books that follow the endearing character, Peter, from my favorite childhood story, The Snowy Day. In this book we get to meet many of Peter's friends along with their misbehaved pets. Humor, beautiful illustrations, and a child's outlook on the world create a wonderful story in an colorful urban environment. I even found Keats' illustration of himself in the story.

I consider this a multicultural piece of literature as the reader experiences life in an...more
Mitchell M
Pet Show!
Grade/interest level: Primary (1st to 2nd)
Reading level: Fountas & Pinnel: H
Grade: 1.9
Genre: multicultural
Main Characters: Archie
Setting: United States, present time
POV: from narrator

Archie is a boy who found a stray cat, well sort of…the stray cat found him. So the stray cat followed Archie home one day. And not Archie wants to enter the stray cat into the neighborhood pet show. Once he decides to enter the cat is lost! Archie scrambles and thinks on his feet so he can prepare the...more
Pamela
Nov 10, 2010 Pamela rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: children-reads
"Pet Show!" by Ezra Jack Keats was a joy to read...the pictures were so colorful and lively. My daughter really paid attention, but, just like "Peter's Chair," it really didn't call for her to be interactive. She just sat there while I read the book to her. On the other hand, as her mom, I thought the book had a very good lesson attached.
Archie is the main character in this book...there's a pet show going on, and Archie wants to bring his cat, but his cat cannot be found anywhere. There's a huge...more
Rashanda Ravenel
I always thought it would be fun to have a pet in a show where we could show off talents and win awards. I do not think it is a good idea for children to bring pets to school, but I would allow student to bring non-living things that they want to share. We can learn about the different pets we have, then compare and contrast as a class.
Nia King
My imagination just wonders as I read this book! The illustrations are vivid and a great way to incorporate a class pet show! The adventure searching for the missing cat is very engaging and keeps the reader guessing, "what is he going to bring?"
Kelsey Vayens
This picture book tells the story of a young boy named Archie, who during the process of preparation for the neighborhood pet show loses his pet cat. This book is a book that can be enjoyed by all ages because people of all ages can appreciate Keats's use of descriptive text and illustrations to tell the dilemma of a young boy trying to come up with a solution to his problem. In the end, Archie uses his creativity to solve the problem and ends up winning an award at the pet show. I feel that thi...more
Every kid in this rainbow neighborhood is excited about the pet show. Archie's cat is away on a prowl when it's time for prizes. Archie overcomes his disappointment and enters an imaginative pet instead. The plot of this story book is a little quiet for my taste. There is one whole page featuring a chase scene that adds nothing to the story. However, it seems to satisfy my toddler, so who am I to complain?

Keats is one of my favorite illustrators, and the illustrations in Pet Show are fantastic....more
Kiera Turner
I really enjoy reading Ezra Jack Keats books! His illustrations are amazing! This book would be great when discussing the students favorite pets. This book reminds me of Peter's Chair because of the real life situations that children can relate to.
Robert
Ezra Jack Keats returns to his favorite colorful neighborhood, where all the kids are excited to show off their pets and win prizes in the big show. But Archie can't find his cat, so what is he to do?
Amy Poulin
What a wonderful story about a boy named Archie. He was so excited for the Pet Show to show off his cat. As the time grew nearer to leave for the show Archie couldn't find his cat. As the show started the cat showed up with a lady. Archie and all his friends all received ribbons for their pets.

Activities:
-have a classroom pet show with stuffed pets
(create ribbons and different categories for the show so that each pet gets a ribbon)
-Write a response to how Archie felt when he couldn't find his c...more
Peggy
Classic Keats. A story about a local pet show where all the neighborhood children bring in their pets. Everyone gets a prize. Even the boy with a germ for a pet. Cute.
Amy
Bummer. I like Ezra Jack Keats' works, but Pet Show didn't really impress my niece or nephew. They listened to the story, and my niece, at least, thought that Archie's decision to bring a germ to the pet show was pretty funny, but this isn't one they'll remember.

I did a special voice for the little old lady in the story, and my niece said, "Why is she talking like that?" I said, "That's just how little old ladies talk." She replied, "Not all of them. Your mom doesn't talk that way, and she's pre...more
Maria
I love Ezra Jack Keats' art. So vibrant. This book is how I imagine Harlem was in the 70's. I have no idea when or where it is supposed to be set, but when I read it that is what I imagine. My favorite picture in the book is actually on the end-paper. It's a series of old doors painted bright colors an leaning against the wall with some trash and the back half of a cat. I wish it wasn't in the book because without it, I would be able to let the book go. But there is something so perfect about it...more
Mckenzie Quade
I love Ezra Jack Keats. He is a great author and illustrator. I loved his pictures and colors that he used in this artwork. He is so unique and I can always pick out his work. The moral of this story was good for children as well. They could easily relate to the story line because most children have pets when they are younger or throughout their lives. The young boy ends up sharing his cat with a woman so she gets a blue ribbon as well. Everyone ends up with a ribbon and everyone is a winner tha...more
Julia Murphy
Ezra Jack Keats is da bomb.
Nicole Bell
I think that this is a sequel to Hi Cat!. With the help of Willie, Peter, and Susie, Archie searches for the cat, to no avail. Archie decides to enter an empty jar, containing a germ named Al into the pet show. There’s a typo in this book, “As that moment…” should be ‘At that moment…’. The invisible germ would be a great springboard to a discussion of real germs, "improvisation" and illegal pets.
Beckie Coldiron
Who doesn't love a good community pet show!? "Pet Show" is a sweet and colorful book that will be sure to leave students naturally making several predictions towards the end of the book when the main character is faced with a challenging situation. Therefore, this is a fantastic book for predictions! I'd recommend this book for children in first through third grade.
Sonya Huser
Ezra Jack Keats..not a big fan.
In this book, a kid tries to take his cat to the neighborhood pet show where everyone gets some sort of prize. When his independent cat disappears however, he takes an empty glass jar, containing one "germ" named Al. Meanwhile some old lady shows up with the kid's cat and gets a ribbon.
Leila T.
I like the painterly illustrations, and the slice-of-life insight it gives into an child's inner-city visuals, and M has asked for this to be read many times, but I feel like it has a Henry-James-esque ending to it, which, while enigmatic literature, doesn't satisfy me as a reader. And now I feel like Salieri.
Amy
A really cute story about a community pet show - and a pet cat who just does not want to play by the rules! You can kind of tell that this was published in the heyday of the self-esteem movement - everybody gets a ribbon - quietest pet, longest whiskers. It has a fun little twist at the end.
Great illustrations.
Codie Gates
Archie wants to enter the pet show with his cat. But Archie cannot find the cat anywhere. So he goes on a search. When it comes time for the show, Archie brings an imaginative pet. And guess who shows up?

I love cats, so naturally I like this book. Students could create an animal for the class pet show.
Rehema Payne
Pet Show is a good book to read to children before a show and tell. I liked this book because while Archie's cat disappeared and showed up to the pet show without him, he found another "pet" and still got a ribbon. This can teach kids how to be flexible and adaptable when things don't go their way.
Christy
Everyone is talking about the neighborhood pet show, and Archie can't wait. His friends are bringing dogs and birds, and he is going to enter the cat who lives near by. But when it's time to go, the cat is nowhere to be found. The contest is about to start. What can Archie do?

Connie
His books always hit just the right, realistic note.

We really love the part in this book where Archie declares that HIS pet is a GERM. I can see a real child doing just that :)

Definitely check out Keats' books if you haven't before, and for sure you want to get *this* one.
Abi
This is a cute story with pretty illustrations. It would be a great book to introduce germs as a living organism in a science class. It could also be used for teaching descriptive words or using your imagination. This would be age appropriate for First through Third grade students.

Ayoca
Can be used with grades 1-4 to help teach about animals in Science. It's about a boy by the name of Archie, who wanted to enterhis cat into a Pet Show but he couldn't find him. So he entered something else and an old lady entered his cat. They both won prizes.
  • Boundless Grace
  • Thunder Rose
  • Our Children Can Soar: A Celebration of Rosa, Barack, and the Pioneers of Change
  • June 29, 1999
  • Please, Puppy, Please
  • Everybody Needs a Rock
  • Dancing in the Wings
FROM WEBSITE:
Long before multicultural characters and themes were fashionable, Ezra Jack Keats crossed social boundaries by being the first American picture-book maker to give the black child a central place in children’s literature.

In the books that Keats wrote and illustrated, he used his special artistic techniques to portray his subjects in a unique manner. One of these was his blending of gou...more
More about Ezra Jack Keats...
The Snowy Day Whistle for Willie Peter's Chair The Little Drummer Boy Goggles!