Start by marking “A Silly Snowy Day” as Want to Read:
A Silly Snowy Day

A Silly Snowy Day

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  27 reviews
When a tortoise named Shelley decides she wants to stay awake and see what winter is like instead of hibernating with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Tortoise say, "Ridiculous!" Shelley is determined though, and sets out to explore the snow and the cold. As she travels from the duck pond to the hilltop, she finds the other animals agree with her parents - a tortoise out in winte ...more
Unknown Binding, 24 pages
Published January 1st 1996 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about A Silly Snowy Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Silly Snowy Day

Nikki
A. This story is about a little turtle who wants to explore winter. While he explores all sorts of different animals keep telling him to go home that winter is not for turtles. Agains all odds the turtle finds something only he can do in the winter and proves everyone wrong.
B. I relate to this story because the turtle never gave up. I believe this is something important to teach children.
C. I thought this book was really cute with a cute message. But the illustrations are where this book excells
Sherry Thornberry
This little turtle decides maybe he wont hibernate like his parents told hi to and ends up in all kinds of predicaments. Finally, he decides going to sleep would be best. This is a great book to show how parents really do know what they are talking about when they tell their children to do or not do something. This is also a good book to explain to young children why animals hibernate because it does so in a way that is not too verbose and makes sense.
Charlie
Before I rated the book, I thought of rating it 2 stars. But after I realized what the book is used for, I decided to rate it 3 stars.

This story is about a tortoise named Shelley who wants to go out and see what Winter is like. All the animals she meets says, "A tortoise out in winter? Ridiculous! Finally, Shelly goes back to the shed where her mother and father were sleeping. To end the summary, she goes to sleep.
Jody
Preschool age children love to learn new 'big' words and A Silly Snowy Day offers them one, 'ridiculous'. The book also promotes per-reading skills with the repetition in the text. It is a good book to read often until the preschool child learns the story and can pretend to read it to themselves, another pre-reading skill. Pre-reading skills are good predictor points for the child to have success in learning to read in kindergarten. The other plus is my preschool class loves the story and it too ...more
Marit
Oct 22, 2012 Marit added it
Shelves: environment
This was an adventurous and sweet story about a tortoise named Shelley who was determined to go outside when it was winter. Everyone told Shelly that it was rediculous that a tortoise was outside when it was winter, and the animals made fun of Shelley and told her that she could not do the same as them. Towards the end of the book Shelley realize that she actually can do something that the other animals cannot do, and that was to go inside her shell when she was about to break the ice. I would u ...more
Chanelle
A Silly Snowy Day is about a turtle who is curious about what it is like to not hibernate. His parents tell him that it is cold and there is no food but the turtle refuses to listen and is determined to find out about winter. He soon realizes that winter is not for him and loves to hibernate. You can definitely introduce this story while you have teach a hibernation unit. An activity you can do is have students compare different animals' habitats in the winter. Then, you can have students pick a ...more
Kayla Whitlock
Cute book dealing with winter. great for prediction and repetition
Vidya Tiru
A tortoise named Shelley decides she wants to explore winter - find out for herself how it looks and feels instead of hibernating like her parents. Even though her parents say it is ridiculous, she still decides to set out after they are snoring. What she learns out there as a tortoise in winter - in a place out of her comfort zone - makes up the rest of the story. My daughter and I read in a 'I read to you, You read to me' style and thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Theresa
a silly snowy day michael coleman is a book about winter is not for turtles... this story is a crazy sequence of events that a turtle exhibits out in the nature during winter and his return home. found in a second grade classroom
Molly Robbins
This book was pretty boring as I was reading it. You could use this book for upper grades to work on sequencing because the words are not hard but there are a lot of events that the tortoise goes through during the story so you could have your students walk through it to remember where he went. You could have this copy for your whole class so they could refer back to their text to remember all of the events.
Sue Pak
Shelley the Turtle wants to go out and experience winter rather than hibernating. She goes out on an adventure only to find herself wanting to be back home.

This book is appropriate for Kindergarten to 2nd graders. By reading this you can expand to teaching about winter, hibernation, habitats of animals, etc.

This book is also a good book for vocabulary building because it repeats words.
Mckenzie Quade
This book was a comical story that students would love. When teaching a lesson on hibernation this would be a complimenting story. There is a silliness to the book that students would enjoy and laugh at. This is a simple book for reading that could be placed in the classroom library after read aloud to the class. Children could start reading this book independently with practice.
April
Shelley! This little book was really cute. However, the author states that all tortoises hibernate in winter and that just isn't true.
Katie Lee
Shelley the tortoise is very curious! Her parents are ready to hibernate for the winter but she doesn't want to. When Shelley goes out and explores the winter season, she realizes that she is better off hibernating! This book deals with having confidence and not doubting yourself.
Karina Espinales
This is great to use to learn about what kind of animals stay inside for the winter. The tortoise wants to go outside to see how the snow is like. All the other animals are surprised that she is outside. It is very repetitive on some parts. But it surely is entertaining.
Natalie Heavrin
This book is about exploring and trying out new things, even if other people think you can't. Kids will like the silly pictures and they will learn that everyone has something they are good at! I also think this book is good for working with the letter "s".
Shannon
The title of this book blows. This book definately needs a title that reflects the fact that it teaches about reptiles who hibernate. Nothing about the story is silly, and at no point does it actually snow. Who though of this rediculous title??
Kayla
I liked this story. I read it to children in a first grade classroom and they also enjoyed it and found it to be humorous. I would read it again to children. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't my favorite story, but it was cute.
Shannon
This was a cute little story about a tortoise who decides she will not hibernate that year. My kids and I enjoyed the different situations she had to face being awake during winter. Good book for children.
Cassi
Great for winter. Cute tortoise book! Ridiculous! is one of the repeating words in the book... great for building vocab!
A.
Oct 08, 2009 A. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: age 6 and younger
Not much is going on...it's exciting when the turtle ran,flew and broke through the ice....for reading enrichment I guess!
Laci
Students could read the book along with you very easily and would feel confident in making predictions.
Dianne Norberg
I liked the illustrations. The tortoise goes out in the winter and slips on the ice.
Marie Gentilcore
A cute story with cute illustrations that both my kids enjoyed! :)
Diamond (kindle lover)
awww this story was cute
Shayla Kellum
it waz good
Cws
Jul 02, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: je-picture-books
JEPIC-Col
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
  • The Biggest, Best Snowman
  • Let It Fall
  • There Was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow!
  • Just a Snowman
  • Kiss Me, I'm Perfect!
  • Dog in Boots
  • Corduroy's Christmas Surprise
  • Mrs. Wishy-Washy
  • How Do You Hug a Porcupine?
  • The Little Red Hen
  • No Two Alike
Coleman was born in Forest Gate, a suburb in east London. Not long after he was born, his family moved a few miles east to Barking. At the time of his arrival, the area was just starting to recover from the damage it had received during World War II. He lived in a house on Bevan Avenue, named after Aneurin Bevan the architect of the National Health Service. He lived in that estate for 20 years. Th ...more
More about Michael Coleman...
On the Run Crashing Computers Net Bandits (Internet Detectives, #1) Foul Football The Snog Log