The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)

The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns #3)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  8,745 ratings  ·  1,318 reviews
The champion must not waver.
The champion must not fear.
The gate of darkness closes.

Elisa is a fugitive.

Her enemies have stolen the man she loves, and they await her at the gate of darkness. Her country is on the brink of civil war, with her own soldiers ordered to kill her on sight.

Her Royal Majesty, Queen Lucero-Elisa né Riqueza de Vega, bearer of the Godstone, will lead...more
Published August 27th 2013 by Greenwillow Books (first published April 14th 2013)

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
53rd out of 1,465 books — 10,151 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
95th out of 2,477 books — 12,486 voters

More lists with this book...

Rae
Jun 25, 2013 Rae rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
6/18/13: Yes, I'm currently reading my own book. This is because I just got galley pass pages, wherein everything is typeset and I have One. Last. Chance. to make changes. I've found two typos already!

*****
Having so. much. fun. writing this one.
Keertana
Goddamn. Rae Carson, you are a genius. A genius among geniuses. If you only promise to write books that are this good in the future, I will raise a pedestal in your honor. No joke.

The Bitter Kingdom is damn near perfect. Hell, it probably is perfect but since I'm too blinded by the perfection that is Hector, I'm unable to call anything else perfect in comparison to him. *swoons*

Top 5 Reasons To Read The Bitter Kingdom. (In case you needed any convincing...which you HOPEFULLY don't because if yo...more
Aimee (Coffee Table Reviews)
This book. This series. Wow. There are few books that have left me waiting anxiously for what seems like a long time to not end in disappointment. I couldn't imagine, when I started this book, how it would all turn out. I speculated and dreamed up my own ending while waiting to get my hands on this and for once, the book was so much better than anything I could dream up on my own.

Very rarely do books like these end in a way that I thought was just darn perfect. Usually there is something in the...more
Khanh (Kittens, Rainbows, and Sunshine)
This book, while technically perfect and a highly enjoyable read---fell a bit short of my expectations. I've enjoyed the other books in the series, but I don't know...I can't exactly pinpoint it, but this book just didn't leave me completely satisfied; it just feels like I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have. I said it was technically perfect, and I meant it. The writing is great, the plot is quick-paced, and action-filled; character development was well-done. It does have its faults, but t...more
Katie Stout
HECTOR!!!!

Hector has quickly become one of my favorite YA book boys. I'm not even sure what's so swoony about him, besides the fact that he's marvelous. If you've read the books, you know. You just know. Once he shaved that moustache, it was one big swoonfest every time he stepped into the scene.

I also really loved the new setting in this book! Girl of Fire and Thorns had a desert feel to it, and Crown of Embers had more of a tropical thing going on. But Bitter Kingdom is definitely set in a col...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
A trilogy that started with superb worldbuilding and atypical characters in The Girl of Fire and Thorns and continued with court intrigue and an epic love story in The Crown and Embers deserved no less than a stellar conclusion. It was with no small amount of trepidation that I picked up Bitter Kingdom into my shaking hands, afraid but eager to learn Elisa and Hector’s fate.
In Crown of Embers, we left Elisa and Hector in a dreadful situation, apart and with far too many obstacles between them,...more
Marija Jesretic
Just finished #2 and oh.my...GLOOOOB! ; ___ ; HECTOOOOOR, OUR LOVE! When everything was getting SO GOOD. Oh, Rae Carson, you know how to push all of our buttons. Thank you much!
Who's the damsel in destress now? ;D
Sara
I need this book like Bella needs Edward; in a totally inappropriate, co-dependent and life-consuming way.

2013... I want more of my Hector now.

After reading

4.5 stars. Incredible.
Angelica
Before Reading:

This book can not come out any sooner can it? I NEED IT LIKE A DROWINGNG MAN NEEDS AIR! (You all know where I got that from.) I've got to wait till August?!?!?!

After Reading:

“I think sometimes when we find love we pretend it away or ignore it or tell ourselves we’re imagining it. Because it is the most painful kind of hope there is.”

This is a very “quick” and horrible a review because I have procrastinated and I never want to right a review after I’ve read another book (sa...more
Samantha

When I first picked up this series, I was a little skeptical. You see, I'm not a very religious person, and by "very" I mean "not at all". The Girl of Fire and Thorns kind of threw me with all the religious references and God talk. I think that's why it took me so long to pick up Book 2. But let me tell you, once I did, I was hooked.

Which brings us to Bitter Kingdom. I've read quite a few series when the third book was a complete letdown. This is not the case here. I thought Bitter Kingdom brou...more
Cinda
Fantastic ending to a fabulous trilogy. I just love Hector being awesome...
Ferdy
3.5 stars - Spoilers

-Mostly enjoyed it, the action, characters and romance kept me hooked. However, I was disappointed that the majority of The Bitter Kingdom was basically a long journey - I hate it when a story mainly consists of a journey, I don't find it imaginative or particularly entertaining.

-One of the best aspects of the series was the character growth of the heroine, Elisa. She started off fat and useless and transformed into a confident leader. It was refreshing to read a YA heroine w...more
Ash Wednesday
Nov 29, 2013 Ash Wednesday rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of lazurs and pew-pew
4 STARS
I think sometimes when we find love we pretend it away, or ignore it, or tell ourselves we're imagining it. Because it's the most painful kind of hope there is. It can be ripped away so easily. By indifference. By death.

Well that was certainly exhausting.

Two things that this book is not but should be: a videogame (in the Final Fantasy tradition) and the finale of a six or seven book series.

Unlike in Crown of Embers where I found the climax a bit of a head-scratcher and the build up to i...more
Kilikina
Nov 25, 2011 Kilikina marked it as to-read
Fall 2013??...Mega sad face :[
I swear if something happens to Hector like Humberto...I don't even know....
Jodi Meadows
Dear commas.

This book.

THIS BOOK.

Please note the shelf placement. That's very important.
Jisha Mishra
I want this one to come out so desperately! The last part was good enough to EAT and now I'm ravenous for more ^_^
Dani
*** If you are not up-to-date in this series, there will be spoilers for The Girl of Fire and Thorns and The Crown of Embers in the following review. ***

When we last left Elisa & Co. in The Crown of Embers, the situation was admittedly a little dire. And by a little, I really mean, “the fiery pit is right this way, and please, take a complimentary hand basket as you plunge straight into it.” More specifically, at the end of the last book, Elisa found herself at risk of losing her country to...more
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
I had to go grab my reviewer hat for this one, otherwise I'd just be a fangirling mess all over this review, and nobody wants to see that. I've been a major fan of Rae Carson's Fire and Thorns trilogy since I picked up the audiobook for The Girl of Fire and Thorns last fall. And then I immediately inhaled Crown of Embers , which will forever remain my favorite in this series.

And then comes along The Bitter Kingdom, to further shake things up and break my heart a little more. I shall try to keep...more
April
Do you ever delay gratification with a book? I mean, let’s say you feel like you have been waiting forever for a sequel to come into your hot little hands and you finally get it several months ahead of the publishing date, but you just wait because you desperately do not want the story to end, you want to pretend the characters go on and on and on in their lives with adventures and romance and magic? Friends, I had Rae Carson’s The Bitter Kingdom in my hot little hands in March. I held off on re...more
Brook
An excellent ending to one of my all-time favorite trilogies. I read this in one big gulp and didn't feel I could do the review justice--I still can't, but I can urge you all to read this trilogy.

Carson continues creating amazing settings--keeping the world consistent, but fresh in each book. She also introduces new characters, while continuing to develop characters from previous books. Carson's supporting characters are so rich that it adds to the strength of the entire book, making the world a...more
Beth
Sep 24, 2013 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy, ya
The perfect conclusion to one of the most brilliant modern YA fantasies on the market today. Readers will love this whole series, and while I didn't want to leave Elisa's world, THE BITTER KINGDOM hits all the right notes. This is what YA fantasy should be.
Gabrielle (TheYoungFolks.com)
Amazing!! An action-packed and moving finale! If you aren't reading the Fire and Thorns trilogy yet, you are MISSING OUT.

Full review at TheYoungFolks.com: http://bit.ly/15mmuQk
Thomas

Without a doubt one of my favorite YA fantasy trilogies. In the third and last installment of her Fire and Thorns series, Rae Carson delivers a satisfying conclusion to Elisa's journey as a girl, a fugitive, a princess, and more. In The Bitter Kingdom, Elisa puts her safety at stake to save the love of her life, and she fights countless enemies to secure her status as champion of the world.

Rae Carson knows how to develop characters. Elisa grew so much in book one and two that I wondered...more
Nicole
I follow Rae Carson on Twitter was lucky enough to catch a Tweet about her book being available in ARC from Edelwiess. I tweeted her back and she suggested that I sign up with Edelwiess and request an ARC of The Bitter Kingdom, and being a librarian I am lucky enough to get access to released ARC copies of books. I couldn't have been more excited about this one, because the wait for fall would have been excruciating and having this in my hands months before the publishing date made me about ten...more
Ashley
This was a great ending to a great series. Rae Carson sets a standard for writing competency that other lesser YA authors would be wise to measure themselves up to. It might not sound like a compliment when I say that Rae Carson's best quality as a writer is her dependability, but it is. While her writing style doesn't really lend itself to WOW moments, and those she tries to create fall somewhat flat, the underlying strength of her characters, her prose, and her world-building provides such a g...more
Paul Decker
Rae Carson is at the top of my list of favorite authors right now. She not only creates an amazing and interesting world inhabited with complex characters, but she does it in beautifully written prose.
Romance plays a big part of this trilogy, but there is so much more that is bigger. Elisa is such a bigger person than just her love life. And she knows it. The evolution of her relationships from the first book to this one is done so well.

There are so many great minor characters, some that we ha...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
It would destroy me to have you just a little

The Bitter Kingdom is the perfect ending to the Girl of Fire and Thorns trilogy. Rae Carson has hit this one out of the park with the addition of a few new characters and the resurrection of other favorites from the first two books in the series. In addition there are scenes from Hector’s POV with added so much depth and understanding to his character that I loved him even more, if that was possible.

The Bitter Kingdom starts almost immediately after...more
Annabelle Marie Veronica
This book sucked. I only read it because there was nothing else on my kindle I felt like reading although I have not read the first two books. I did give it two stars since because of that, although chances are it would have gotten the one star I really want to give it. There are so many problems with this book. Here are only some of them:

The freaking inconsistencies. Who the fuck edited this?

The annoying and pretentious tone.

The cardboard characters.

The dependence on magic.

The way everything...more
Allison
Hector...need more! So excited for this in 2013!
Garnet
Wow. Just Wow. I don't know the last time that I was totally and completely swept away in a story that i didn't want to eat or sleep or think of anything else until it was through. And then when it was through? Oh! I wanted to cry. I already missed my friends Elisa and Hector and all the rest. The adventure. The world building. The politics. The friendships. The romance. The intrigue. Perfect. This is my jam.

I loved that all the characters had flaws, but they were still heroes because they refus...more
David Estes Fans ...: The Bitter Kingdom Buddy Read 16 16 Jul 01, 2014 01:44AM
The Bitter Kingdom 11 44 Jun 09, 2014 05:34AM
YA Book Gang!!: The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson *spoilers* 1 25 Dec 15, 2013 02:47AM
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Raven Flight (Shadowfell, #2)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms, #4)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
  • The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy, #1)
  • Taste of Darkness (Healer, #3)
  • Rebel Spring (Falling Kingdoms, #2)
  • Asunder (Newsoul, #2)
  • Deception (Defiance, #2)
  • Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #2)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • Lady Thief (Scarlet, #2)
  • A Darkness Strange and Lovely (Something Strange and Deadly, #2)
  • Kinslayer (The Lotus War, #2)
I write books about teens who must do brave things. I'm originally from California, but I moved to Ohio to marry my husband, who is the smartest and therefore sexiest man I know. We live in Columbus with my teenaged stepsons, who are awesome. My books tend to contain lots of adventure, a little magic and romance, and smart girls who make (mostly) smart choices. I especially love to write about que...more
More about Rae Carson...
The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1) The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2) The Shadow Cats (Fire and Thorns, #0.5) The King's Guard (Fire and Thorns, #0.7) The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)

“I think sometimes when we find love we pretend it away, or ignore it, or tell ourselves we’re imagining it. Because it is the most painful kind of hope there is.” 104 likes
“I am strong enough, man enough, to be subject to you.” 43 likes