Start by marking “The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)

The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns #3)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  11,628 ratings  ·  1,506 reviews
The champion must not waver.
The champion must not fear.
The gate of darkness closes.

Elisa is a fugitive.

Her enemies have stolen the man she loves, and they await her at the gate of darkness. Her country is on the brink of civil war, with her own soldiers ordered to kill her on sight.

Her Royal Majesty, Queen Lucero-Elisa né Riqueza de Vega, bearer of the Godstone, will lead
Published August 27th 2013 by Greenwillow Books (first published April 14th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Bitter Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bitter Kingdom

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
52nd out of 1,501 books — 10,338 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
96th out of 2,471 books — 12,486 voters

More lists with this book...

Rae
Jun 25, 2013 Rae rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
6/18/13: Yes, I'm currently reading my own book. This is because I just got galley pass pages, wherein everything is typeset and I have One. Last. Chance. to make changes. I've found two typos already!

*****
Having so. much. fun. writing this one.
Keertana
Goddamn. Rae Carson, you are a genius. A genius among geniuses. If you only promise to write books that are this good in the future, I will raise a pedestal in your honor. No joke.

The Bitter Kingdom is damn near perfect. Hell, it probably is perfect but since I'm too blinded by the perfection that is Hector, I'm unable to call anything else perfect in comparison to him. *swoons*

Top 5 Reasons To Read The Bitter Kingdom. (In case you needed any convincing...which you HOPEFULLY don't because if yo
Katie Stout
HECTOR!!!!

Hector has quickly become one of my favorite YA book boys. I'm not even sure what's so swoony about him, besides the fact that he's marvelous. If you've read the books, you know. You just know. Once he shaved that moustache, it was one big swoonfest every time he stepped into the scene.

I also really loved the new setting in this book! Girl of Fire and Thorns had a desert feel to it, and Crown of Embers had more of a tropical thing going on. But Bitter Kingdom is definitely set in a col
Aimee (Coffee Table Reviews)
This book. This series. Wow. There are few books that have left me waiting anxiously for what seems like a long time to not end in disappointment. I couldn't imagine, when I started this book, how it would all turn out. I speculated and dreamed up my own ending while waiting to get my hands on this and for once, the book was so much better than anything I could dream up on my own.

Very rarely do books like these end in a way that I thought was just darn perfect. Usually there is something in the
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
This book, while technically perfect and a highly enjoyable read---fell a bit short of my expectations. I've enjoyed the other books in the series, but I don't know...I can't exactly pinpoint it, but this book just didn't leave me completely satisfied; it just feels like I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have. I said it was technically perfect, and I meant it. The writing is great, the plot is quick-paced, and action-filled; character development was well-done. It does have its faults, but t ...more
Marija Jesretic
Just finished #2 and oh.my...GLOOOOB! ; ___ ; HECTOOOOOR, OUR LOVE! When everything was getting SO GOOD. Oh, Rae Carson, you know how to push all of our buttons. Thank you much!
Who's the damsel in destress now? ;D
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
A trilogy that started with superb worldbuilding and atypical characters in The Girl of Fire and Thorns and continued with court intrigue and an epic love story in The Crown and Embers deserved no less than a stellar conclusion. It was with no small amount of trepidation that I picked up Bitter Kingdom into my shaking hands, afraid but eager to learn Elisa and Hector’s fate.
In Crown of Embers, we left Elisa and Hector in a dreadful situation, apart and with far too many obstacles between them,
Sara
I need this book like Bella needs Edward; in a totally inappropriate, co-dependent and life-consuming way.

2013... I want more of my Hector now.

After reading

4.5 stars. Incredible.
Angelica
Before Reading:

This book can not come out any sooner can it? I NEED IT LIKE A DROWINGNG MAN NEEDS AIR! (You all know where I got that from.) I've got to wait till August?!?!?!

After Reading:

“I think sometimes when we find love we pretend it away or ignore it or tell ourselves we’re imagining it. Because it is the most painful kind of hope there is.”

This is a very “quick” and horrible a review because I have procrastinated and I never want to right a review after I’ve read another book (sa
Ferdy
3.5 stars - Spoilers

-Mostly enjoyed it, the action, characters and romance kept me hooked. However, I was disappointed that the majority of The Bitter Kingdom was basically a long journey - I hate it when a story mainly consists of a journey, I don't find it imaginative or particularly entertaining.

-One of the best aspects of the series was the character growth of the heroine, Elisa. She started off fat and useless and transformed into a confident leader. It was refreshing to read a YA heroine w
Samantha

When I first picked up this series, I was a little skeptical. You see, I'm not a very religious person, and by "very" I mean "not at all". The Girl of Fire and Thorns kind of threw me with all the religious references and God talk. I think that's why it took me so long to pick up Book 2. But let me tell you, once I did, I was hooked.

Which brings us to Bitter Kingdom. I've read quite a few series when the third book was a complete letdown. This is not the case here. I thought Bitter Kingdom brou
Ash Wednesday
Nov 29, 2013 Ash Wednesday rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of lazurs and pew-pew
4 STARS
I think sometimes when we find love we pretend it away, or ignore it, or tell ourselves we're imagining it. Because it's the most painful kind of hope there is. It can be ripped away so easily. By indifference. By death.

Well that was certainly exhausting.

Two things that this book is not but should be: a videogame (in the Final Fantasy tradition) and the finale of a six or seven book series.

Unlike in Crown of Embers where I found the climax a bit of a head-scratcher and the build up to i
Cinda
Fantastic ending to a fabulous trilogy. I just love Hector being awesome...
Kilikina
Nov 25, 2011 Kilikina marked it as to-read
Fall 2013??...Mega sad face :[
I swear if something happens to Hector like Humberto...I don't even know....
Jodi Meadows
Dear commas.

This book.

THIS BOOK.

Please note the shelf placement. That's very important.
Paula
I loved this trilogy! One of my top series, ever!
Jisha Mishra
I want this one to come out so desperately! The last part was good enough to EAT and now I'm ravenous for more ^_^
Dani
*** If you are not up-to-date in this series, there will be spoilers for The Girl of Fire and Thorns and The Crown of Embers in the following review. ***

When we last left Elisa & Co. in The Crown of Embers, the situation was admittedly a little dire. And by a little, I really mean, “the fiery pit is right this way, and please, take a complimentary hand basket as you plunge straight into it.” More specifically, at the end of the last book, Elisa found herself at risk of losing her country to
Beth
Sep 24, 2013 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy, ya
The perfect conclusion to one of the most brilliant modern YA fantasies on the market today. Readers will love this whole series, and while I didn't want to leave Elisa's world, THE BITTER KINGDOM hits all the right notes. This is what YA fantasy should be.
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
I had to go grab my reviewer hat for this one, otherwise I'd just be a fangirling mess all over this review, and nobody wants to see that. I've been a major fan of Rae Carson's Fire and Thorns trilogy since I picked up the audiobook for The Girl of Fire and Thorns last fall. And then I immediately inhaled Crown of Embers , which will forever remain my favorite in this series.

And then comes along The Bitter Kingdom, to further shake things up and break my heart a little more. I shall try to keep
April
Do you ever delay gratification with a book? I mean, let’s say you feel like you have been waiting forever for a sequel to come into your hot little hands and you finally get it several months ahead of the publishing date, but you just wait because you desperately do not want the story to end, you want to pretend the characters go on and on and on in their lives with adventures and romance and magic? Friends, I had Rae Carson’s The Bitter Kingdom in my hot little hands in March. I held off on re ...more
Brook
An excellent ending to one of my all-time favorite trilogies. I read this in one big gulp and didn't feel I could do the review justice--I still can't, but I can urge you all to read this trilogy.

Carson continues creating amazing settings--keeping the world consistent, but fresh in each book. She also introduces new characters, while continuing to develop characters from previous books. Carson's supporting characters are so rich that it adds to the strength of the entire book, making the world a
Robin (Bridge Four)
It would destroy me to have you just a little

The Bitter Kingdom is the perfect ending to the Girl of Fire and Thorns trilogy. Rae Carson has hit this one out of the park with the addition of a few new characters and the resurrection of other favorites from the first two books in the series. In addition there are scenes from Hector’s POV with added so much depth and understanding to his character that I loved him even more, if that was possible.

The Bitter Kingdom starts almost immediately after
Sara Price.
I was determine to finish this book and I did it! Finally! I will say that I'm giving this book a 4.5 stars because it did fall into the 'the ending is slightly boring' category and I know that is probably my fault but I can't give it a 5 for that reason. However I will say that I loved the way this series ended and I think all things considered it was super duper good!
Gabrielle (TheYoungFolks.com)
Amazing!! An action-packed and moving finale! If you aren't reading the Fire and Thorns trilogy yet, you are MISSING OUT.

Full review at TheYoungFolks.com: http://bit.ly/15mmuQk
Thomas

Without a doubt one of my favorite YA fantasy trilogies. In the third and last installment of her Fire and Thorns series, Rae Carson delivers a satisfying conclusion to Elisa's journey as a girl, a fugitive, a princess, and more. In The Bitter Kingdom, Elisa puts her safety at stake to save the love of her life, and she fights countless enemies to secure her status as champion of the world.

Rae Carson knows how to develop characters. Elisa grew so much in book one and two that I wondered
Nicole
I follow Rae Carson on Twitter was lucky enough to catch a Tweet about her book being available in ARC from Edelwiess. I tweeted her back and she suggested that I sign up with Edelwiess and request an ARC of The Bitter Kingdom, and being a librarian I am lucky enough to get access to released ARC copies of books. I couldn't have been more excited about this one, because the wait for fall would have been excruciating and having this in my hands months before the publishing date made me about ten ...more
Ashley
This was a great ending to a great series. Rae Carson sets a standard for writing competency that other lesser YA authors would be wise to measure themselves up to. It might not sound like a compliment when I say that Rae Carson's best quality as a writer is her dependability, but it is. While her writing style doesn't really lend itself to WOW moments, and those she tries to create fall somewhat flat, the underlying strength of her characters, her prose, and her world-building provides such a g ...more
Paul Decker
Rae Carson is at the top of my list of favorite authors right now. She not only creates an amazing and interesting world inhabited with complex characters, but she does it in beautifully written prose.
Romance plays a big part of this trilogy, but there is so much more that is bigger. Elisa is such a bigger person than just her love life. And she knows it. The evolution of her relationships from the first book to this one is done so well.

There are so many great minor characters, some that we ha
Jessica (Rabid Reads)
Overall a good conclusion to the trilogy.

After all of the excitement in The Crown of Embers, The Bitter Kingdom felt a little anticlimactic. Or maybe it felt rushed. A lot happens in this book; the fact that it's been split into four sections is telling.

In the first section, Elisa, Storm, Mara, and Belen begin their rescue mission, traveling toward Invierne. I can't say much about the second and third sections without spoilers, but the fourth section is the inevitable journey back to Joye D'Ar
100+ Books in 2014: Annemarie's Books for 2014 1 7 Oct 26, 2014 08:53AM
David Estes Fans ...: The Bitter Kingdom Buddy Read 16 19 Jul 01, 2014 01:44AM
The Bitter Kingdom 11 51 Jun 09, 2014 05:34AM
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Raven Flight (Shadowfell, #2)
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
  • The Cadet of Tildor
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms, #4)
  • A Darkness Strange and Lovely (Something Strange and Deadly, #2)
  • Deception (Defiance, #2)
  • The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy, #2)
  • The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass, #0.5)
  • Cold Steel (Spiritwalker, #3)
  • Asunder (Newsoul, #2)
  • Rebel Spring (Falling Kingdoms, #2)
  • Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #2)
  • Horde (Razorland, #3)
I write books about teens who must do brave things. I'm originally from California, but I moved to Ohio to marry my husband, who is the smartest and therefore sexiest man I know. We live in Columbus with my teenaged stepsons, who are awesome. My books tend to contain lots of adventure, a little magic and romance, and smart girls who make (mostly) smart choices. I especially love to write about que ...more
More about Rae Carson...
The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1) The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2) The Shadow Cats (Fire and Thorns, #0.5) The King's Guard (Fire and Thorns, #0.7) The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)

“I think sometimes when we find love we pretend it away, or ignore it, or tell ourselves we’re imagining it. Because it is the most painful kind of hope there is.” 136 likes
“You look beautiful," Alodia says.
I startle at the compliment. Then I smile. "I’m beautiful to the one person who matters."
She nods. "Hector’s mouth is going to drop open when he sees you.”
“I hope so. But I meant me. I’m beautiful to me.”
55 likes