Start by marking “The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)

The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns #3)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  14,848 ratings  ·  1,696 reviews
The champion must not waver.
The champion must not fear.
The gate of darkness closes.

Elisa is a fugitive.

Her enemies have stolen the man she loves, and they await her at the gate of darkness. Her country is on the brink of civil war, with her own soldiers ordered to kill her on sight.

Her Royal Majesty, Queen Lucero-Elisa né Riqueza de Vega, bearer of the Godstone, will lead
Published August 27th 2013 by Greenwillow Books (first published April 14th 2013)

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
52nd out of 1,520 books — 10,593 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
96th out of 2,464 books — 12,470 voters

More lists with this book...

Rae
Jun 25, 2013 Rae rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
6/18/13: Yes, I'm currently reading my own book. This is because I just got galley pass pages, wherein everything is typeset and I have One. Last. Chance. to make changes. I've found two typos already!

*****
Having so. much. fun. writing this one.
Keertana
Goddamn. Rae Carson, you are a genius. A genius among geniuses. If you only promise to write books that are this good in the future, I will raise a pedestal in your honor. No joke.

The Bitter Kingdom is damn near perfect. Hell, it probably is perfect but since I'm too blinded by the perfection that is Hector, I'm unable to call anything else perfect in comparison to him. *swoons*

Top 5 Reasons To Read The Bitter Kingdom. (In case you needed any convincing...which you HOPEFULLY don't because if yo
Katie Stout
HECTOR!!!!

Hector has quickly become one of my favorite YA book boys. I'm not even sure what's so swoony about him, besides the fact that he's marvelous. If you've read the books, you know. You just know. Once he shaved that moustache, it was one big swoonfest every time he stepped into the scene.

I also really loved the new setting in this book! Girl of Fire and Thorns had a desert feel to it, and Crown of Embers had more of a tropical thing going on. But Bitter Kingdom is definitely set in a col
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
This book, while technically perfect and a highly enjoyable read---fell a bit short of my expectations. I've enjoyed the other books in the series, but I don't know...I can't exactly pinpoint it, but this book just didn't leave me completely satisfied; it just feels like I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have. I said it was technically perfect, and I meant it. The writing is great, the plot is quick-paced, and action-filled; character development was well-done. It does have its faults, but t ...more
Aimee (Coffee Table Reviews)
This book. This series. Wow. There are few books that have left me waiting anxiously for what seems like a long time to not end in disappointment. I couldn't imagine, when I started this book, how it would all turn out. I speculated and dreamed up my own ending while waiting to get my hands on this and for once, the book was so much better than anything I could dream up on my own.

Very rarely do books like these end in a way that I thought was just darn perfect. Usually there is something in the
Sara
I need this book like Bella needs Edward; in a totally inappropriate, co-dependent and life-consuming way.

2013... I want more of my Hector now.

After reading

4.5 stars. Incredible.
Marija Jesretic
Just finished #2 and oh.my...GLOOOOB! ; ___ ; HECTOOOOOR, OUR LOVE! When everything was getting SO GOOD. Oh, Rae Carson, you know how to push all of our buttons. Thank you much!
Who's the damsel in destress now? ;D
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
A trilogy that started with superb worldbuilding and atypical characters in The Girl of Fire and Thorns and continued with court intrigue and an epic love story in The Crown and Embers deserved no less than a stellar conclusion. It was with no small amount of trepidation that I picked up Bitter Kingdom into my shaking hands, afraid but eager to learn Elisa and Hector’s fate.
In Crown of Embers, we left Elisa and Hector in a dreadful situation, apart and with far too many obstacles between them,
Angelica
Before Reading:

This book can not come out any sooner can it? I NEED IT LIKE A DROWINGNG MAN NEEDS AIR! (You all know where I got that from.) I've got to wait till August?!?!?!

After Reading:

“I think sometimes when we find love we pretend it away or ignore it or tell ourselves we’re imagining it. Because it is the most painful kind of hope there is.”

This is a very “quick” and horrible a review because I have procrastinated and I never want to right a review after I’ve read another book (s
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

5 Stars

Magically enchanting, and wonderfully addicting, THE BITTER KINGDOM delivers an explosive conclusion that will leave you breathless and yearning for more!!! From it's rich lure of fantasy blend, and it's thickened plot, to it's breathtakingly hypnotic romance, and non-stop action and adventure, and magical background that solidifies this series to it's fullest. THE BITTER KINGDOM was one hell of a finale that I am utterly satisfied with, but drastically needing more...

I am speechless af
Samantha

When I first picked up this series, I was a little skeptical. You see, I'm not a very religious person, and by "very" I mean "not at all". The Girl of Fire and Thorns kind of threw me with all the religious references and God talk. I think that's why it took me so long to pick up Book 2. But let me tell you, once I did, I was hooked.

Which brings us to Bitter Kingdom. I've read quite a few series when the third book was a complete letdown. This is not the case here. I thought Bitter Kingdom brou
Ferdy
3.5 stars - Spoilers

-Mostly enjoyed it, the action, characters and romance kept me hooked. However, I was disappointed that the majority of The Bitter Kingdom was basically a long journey - I hate it when a story mainly consists of a journey, I don't find it imaginative or particularly entertaining.

-One of the best aspects of the series was the character growth of the heroine, Elisa. She started off fat and useless and transformed into a confident leader. It was refreshing to read a YA heroine w
Ash Wednesday
Nov 29, 2013 Ash Wednesday rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of lazurs and pew-pew
4 STARS
I think sometimes when we find love we pretend it away, or ignore it, or tell ourselves we're imagining it. Because it's the most painful kind of hope there is. It can be ripped away so easily. By indifference. By death.

Well that was certainly exhausting.

Two things that this book is not but should be: a videogame (in the Final Fantasy tradition) and the finale of a six or seven book series.

Unlike in Crown of Embers where I found the climax a bit of a head-scratcher and the build up to
Elena
4.5

Amazing conclusion to an amazing trilogy ! Highly recommending this!
Jodi Meadows
Dear commas.

This book.

THIS BOOK.

Please note the shelf placement. That's very important.
Cinda
Fantastic ending to a fabulous trilogy. I just love Hector being awesome...
Kilikina
Nov 25, 2011 Kilikina marked it as to-read
Fall 2013??...Mega sad face :[
I swear if something happens to Hector like Humberto...I don't even know....
Paula
I loved this trilogy! One of my top series, ever!
Jisha Mishra
I want this one to come out so desperately! The last part was good enough to EAT and now I'm ravenous for more ^_^
Dani
*** If you are not up-to-date in this series, there will be spoilers for The Girl of Fire and Thorns and The Crown of Embers in the following review. ***

When we last left Elisa & Co. in The Crown of Embers, the situation was admittedly a little dire. And by a little, I really mean, “the fiery pit is right this way, and please, take a complimentary hand basket as you plunge straight into it.” More specifically, at the end of the last book, Elisa found herself at risk of losing her country to
Robin (Bridge Four)
It would destroy me to have you just a little

The Bitter Kingdom is the perfect ending to the Girl of Fire and Thorns trilogy. Rae Carson has hit this one out of the park with the addition of a few new characters and the resurrection of other favorites from the first two books in the series. In addition there are scenes from Hector’s POV with added so much depth and understanding to his character that I loved him even more, if that was possible.

The Bitter Kingdom starts almost immediately after
Tamara
The series is over!!!

Pretty much hated Elisa, but I did love Hector from book one! I do, however, love how Elisa has went from born a Princess, married into Queen, and accomplished as Empress. Not only has she fulfilled her quest as a God Stone carrier, and survived (much more simple then one would expect), but she has brought enemies as allies, and allies as family. She has created and accomplished peace, all at the mere age of 17.

Even with saying that, I still find this series such a drag. F
Beth
Sep 24, 2013 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy, ya
The perfect conclusion to one of the most brilliant modern YA fantasies on the market today. Readers will love this whole series, and while I didn't want to leave Elisa's world, THE BITTER KINGDOM hits all the right notes. This is what YA fantasy should be.
Rachel Patrick
This review (and others) can be seen in all its proper formatting glory on my blog Beauty and the Bookshelf.

For serious, this series deserves nothing less than five stars.

If I don't write this review then the series isn't really over, right? I just...I know I'm later to the party with this series, but I've fallen in love with it and I hate to say goodbye. (So I'm not going to and you can't make me.) Something about this series just hits the spot, and I adore it. There's an interesting setting, f
Thomas

Without a doubt one of my favorite YA fantasy trilogies. In the third and last installment of her Fire and Thorns series, Rae Carson delivers a satisfying conclusion to Elisa's journey as a girl, a fugitive, a princess, and more. In The Bitter Kingdom, Elisa puts her safety at stake to save the love of her life, and she fights countless enemies to secure her status as champion of the world.

Rae Carson knows how to develop characters. Elisa grew so much in book one and two that I wondered
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
I had to go grab my reviewer hat for this one, otherwise I'd just be a fangirling mess all over this review, and nobody wants to see that. I've been a major fan of Rae Carson's Fire and Thorns trilogy since I picked up the audiobook for The Girl of Fire and Thorns last fall. And then I immediately inhaled Crown of Embers , which will forever remain my favorite in this series.

And then comes along The Bitter Kingdom, to further shake things up and break my heart a little more. I shall try to ke
April
Do you ever delay gratification with a book? I mean, let’s say you feel like you have been waiting forever for a sequel to come into your hot little hands and you finally get it several months ahead of the publishing date, but you just wait because you desperately do not want the story to end, you want to pretend the characters go on and on and on in their lives with adventures and romance and magic? Friends, I had Rae Carson’s The Bitter Kingdom in my hot little hands in March. I held off on re ...more
Paul Decker
Rae Carson is at the top of my list of favorite authors right now. She not only creates an amazing and interesting world inhabited with complex characters, but she does it in beautifully written prose.
Romance plays a big part of this trilogy, but there is so much more that is bigger. Elisa is such a bigger person than just her love life. And she knows it. The evolution of her relationships from the first book to this one is done so well.

There are so many great minor characters, some that we ha
Brook
An excellent ending to one of my all-time favorite trilogies. I read this in one big gulp and didn't feel I could do the review justice--I still can't, but I can urge you all to read this trilogy.

Carson continues creating amazing settings--keeping the world consistent, but fresh in each book. She also introduces new characters, while continuing to develop characters from previous books. Carson's supporting characters are so rich that it adds to the strength of the entire book, making the world a
Sara Price.
I was determine to finish this book and I did it! Finally! I will say that I'm giving this book a 4.5 stars because it did fall into the 'the ending is slightly boring' category and I know that is probably my fault but I can't give it a 5 for that reason. However I will say that I loved the way this series ended and I think all things considered it was super duper good!
100+ Books in 2015: Annemarie's Books for 2014 1 8 Oct 26, 2014 08:53AM
David Estes Fans ...: The Bitter Kingdom Buddy Read 16 19 Jul 01, 2014 01:44AM
The Bitter Kingdom 11 54 Jun 09, 2014 05:34AM
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • Raven Flight (Shadowfell, #2)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
  • Taste of Darkness (Healer, #3)
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
  • A Darkness Strange and Lovely (Something Strange and Deadly, #2)
  • The Assassin and the Desert (Throne of Glass, #0.3)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #2)
  • Deception (Defiance, #2)
  • Rebel Spring (Falling Kingdoms, #2)
  • Horde (Razorland, #3)
  • Liar's Moon (Thief Errant, #2)
  • The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms, #4)
  • Asunder (Newsoul, #2)
  • Sorrow's Knot
I write books about teens who must do brave things. I'm originally from California, but I now live in Arizona with my husband, who is the smartest and therefore sexiest man I know. My books tend to contain lots of adventure, a little magic and romance, and smart girls who make (mostly) smart choices. I especially love to write about questions I don't know the answers to.
More about Rae Carson...

Fire and Thorns (3 books)
  • The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)
  • The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)
The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1) The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2) The Shadow Cats (Fire and Thorns, #0.5) The King's Guard (Fire and Thorns, #0.7) The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)

“I think sometimes when we find love we pretend it away, or ignore it, or tell ourselves we’re imagining it. Because it is the most painful kind of hope there is.” 167 likes
“You look beautiful," Alodia says.
I startle at the compliment. Then I smile. "I’m beautiful to the one person who matters."
She nods. "Hector’s mouth is going to drop open when he sees you.”
“I hope so. But I meant me. I’m beautiful to me.”
75 likes