Start by marking “The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)

The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns #3)

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  20,501 Ratings  ·  2,066 Reviews
The champion must not waver.
The champion must not fear.
The gate of darkness closes.

Elisa is a fugitive.

Her enemies have stolen the man she loves, and they await her at the gate of darkness. Her country is on the brink of civil war, with her own soldiers ordered to kill her on sight.

Her Royal Majesty, Queen Lucero-Elisa né Riqueza de Vega, bearer of the Godstone, will lead
Published August 27th 2013 by Greenwillow Books (first published April 14th 2013)

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverProdigy by Marie Lu
YA Novels of 2013
54th out of 1,520 books — 10,829 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
96th out of 2,463 books — 12,431 voters

More lists with this book...

Keertana
Goddamn. Rae Carson, you are a genius. A genius among geniuses. If you only promise to write books that are this good in the future, I will raise a pedestal in your honor. No joke.

The Bitter Kingdom is damn near perfect. Hell, it probably is perfect but since I'm too blinded by the perfection that is Hector, I'm unable to call anything else perfect in comparison to him. *swoons*

Top 5 Reasons To Read The Bitter Kingdom. (In case you needed any convincing...which you HOPEFULLY don't because if yo
Katie
HECTOR!!!!

Hector has quickly become one of my favorite YA book boys. I'm not even sure what's so swoony about him, besides the fact that he's marvelous. If you've read the books, you know. You just know. Once he shaved that moustache, it was one big swoonfest every time he stepped into the scene.

I also really loved the new setting in this book! Girl of Fire and Thorns had a desert feel to it, and Crown of Embers had more of a tropical thing going on. But Bitter Kingdom is definitely set in a col
Khanh (the Grinch)
This book, while technically perfect and a highly enjoyable read---fell a bit short of my expectations. I've enjoyed the other books in the series, but I don't know...I can't exactly pinpoint it, but this book just didn't leave me completely satisfied; it just feels like I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have. I said it was technically perfect, and I meant it. The writing is great, the plot is quick-paced, and action-filled; character development was well-done. It does have its faults, but t ...more
Aimee
Sep 18, 2013 Aimee rated it it was amazing
This book. This series. Wow. There are few books that have left me waiting anxiously for what seems like a long time to not end in disappointment. I couldn't imagine, when I started this book, how it would all turn out. I speculated and dreamed up my own ending while waiting to get my hands on this and for once, the book was so much better than anything I could dream up on my own.

Very rarely do books like these end in a way that I thought was just darn perfect. Usually there is something in the
Norah Una Sumner
“You look beautiful," Alodia says.
I startle at the compliment. Then I smile. "I’m beautiful to the one person who matters."
She nods. "Hector’s mouth is going to drop open when he sees you.”
“I hope so. But I meant me. I’m beautiful to me.”

description

This trilogy definitely holds a special place in my heart.The characters are so wonderful,especially Elisa who develops so much as a character and Hector who shows us what an unconditional love is.I've never been prouder of a book character before as much a
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
**4.5 Stars**

A fantastic ending to an amazing trilogy. Elisa's character development was phenomenal. She started out as this character with so much self doubt and fear and ended with so much confidence and bravery. Elisa is one of my favorite female heroines of all time.

I had to take away 1/2 a star because I probably should have read this sooner. It took me a little longer to reconnect with the story and the characters, but once I did I was just so engrossed.

Also, I was just freaking swooning
Nastassja
Dec 22, 2015 Nastassja rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone

“I am queen of Joya d’Arena and bearer of a living Godstone. I kneel to no one.”

Final books are always the hardest for me to write about. It is the end, and I know that there wouldn't be any sequels and things will stay the way they ended. At some point I am relieved how everything ended but some resolutions left me disappointed.

The plot. The crown of embers ended with Elisa and Co on the run. They must save Hector, find out the truth about Godstones, and then Elisa must again prove to be the ru

Liz
Nov 13, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it

Usual heroine:
"You steal the man I love? Well, I'm going to cry in the corner for half a book, feel sorry for myself and then just do my best and try to get to you while being stupid once in a while to make the book exciting."
Elisa:
"You steal the man I love? Ha! I will first get a backup plan for my kingdom and then follow you saving lives, yours included, being totally badass, relying on the intelligence of my beloved, and acting like a true warrior."

Seriously though. When everything is ta
Sara
I need this book like Bella needs Edward; in a totally inappropriate, co-dependent and life-consuming way.

2013... I want more of my Hector now.

After reading

4.5 stars. Incredible.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
A trilogy that started with superb worldbuilding and atypical characters in The Girl of Fire and Thorns and continued with court intrigue and an epic love story in The Crown and Embers deserved no less than a stellar conclusion. It was with no small amount of trepidation that I picked up Bitter Kingdom into my shaking hands, afraid but eager to learn Elisa and Hector’s fate.
In Crown of Embers, we left Elisa and Hector in a dreadful situation, apart and with far too many obstacles between them,
Marija Jesretic
Jan 17, 2013 Marija Jesretic rated it really liked it
Just finished #2 and oh.my...GLOOOOB! ; ___ ; HECTOOOOOR, OUR LOVE! When everything was getting SO GOOD. Oh, Rae Carson, you know how to push all of our buttons. Thank you much!
Who's the damsel in destress now? ;D
Kelly
Jan 07, 2016 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I'm a good leader, but you're a great ruler. I am strong enough-man enough-to be subject to you.

I know that it took me long to finally finish this amazing trilogy but I don't regret it one bit. It's always such bitter sweet sorrow for me when reading the final in a Fantastic read. All the characters we great. I will especially miss Storm, Elisa and Hector. These three specifically made this read a roll coaster of gratifying pleasure.

I love Carson's style of writing and the lead heroine Elisa wa
Eilonwy

After a bit of dragginess in the middle, this book redeemed itself with a worthy confrontation with the villain, and a perfect character arc and body-acceptance arc for Elisa. This is definitely one of my favorite trilogies.
Maria Angelica
Feb 19, 2016 Maria Angelica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav2015, tenho, lido-2015
Definitivamente uma das melhores séries que eu já li até hoje. A parte fantástica não é a melhor de todas, mas a protagonista é maravilhosa!! Ela se desenvolve de uma forma crível e no final você fica desejando ter a metade do autoconhecimento, perseverança e inteligência que ela tem.
O romance é uma parte pequena da série, mas é o mais equilibrado e bonito que eu já li em um livro de YA. Os dois se respeitam como pessoas e amantes. Não nada daquele esquema "preciso te proteger", "morrerei sem vo
Ferdy
3.5 stars - Spoilers

-Mostly enjoyed it, the action, characters and romance kept me hooked. However, I was disappointed that the majority of The Bitter Kingdom was basically a long journey - I hate it when a story mainly consists of a journey, I don't find it imaginative or particularly entertaining.

-One of the best aspects of the series was the character growth of the heroine, Elisa. She started off fat and useless and transformed into a confident leader. It was refreshing to read a YA heroine w
Angelica
Before Reading:

This book can not come out any sooner can it? I NEED IT LIKE A DROWINGNG MAN NEEDS AIR! (You all know where I got that from.) I've got to wait till August?!?!?!

After Reading:

“I think sometimes when we find love we pretend it away or ignore it or tell ourselves we’re imagining it. Because it is the most painful kind of hope there is.”

This is a very “quick” and horrible a review because I have procrastinated and I never want to right a review after I’ve read another book (s
Jodi Meadows
Nov 16, 2012 Jodi Meadows rated it it was amazing
Dear commas.

This book.

THIS BOOK.

Please note the shelf placement. That's very important.
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

5 Stars

Magically enchanting, and wonderfully addicting, THE BITTER KINGDOM delivers an explosive conclusion that will leave you breathless and yearning for more!!! From it's rich lure of fantasy blend, and it's thickened plot, to it's breathtakingly hypnotic romance, and non-stop action and adventure, and magical background that solidifies this series to it's fullest. THE BITTER KINGDOM was one hell of a finale that I am utterly satisfied with, but drastically needing more...

I am speechless af
Samantha
Jul 10, 2014 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ya and Ashlee

When I first picked up this series, I was a little skeptical. You see, I'm not a very religious person, and by "very" I mean "not at all". The Girl of Fire and Thorns kind of threw me with all the religious references and God talk. I think that's why it took me so long to pick up Book 2. But let me tell you, once I did, I was hooked.

Which brings us to Bitter Kingdom. I've read quite a few series when the third book was a complete letdown. This is not the case here. I thought Bitter Kingdom brou
Ash Wednesday
Nov 29, 2013 Ash Wednesday rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of lazurs and pew-pew
4 STARS
I think sometimes when we find love we pretend it away, or ignore it, or tell ourselves we're imagining it. Because it's the most painful kind of hope there is. It can be ripped away so easily. By indifference. By death.

Well that was certainly exhausting.

Two things that this book is not but should be: a videogame (in the Final Fantasy tradition) and the finale of a six or seven book series.

Unlike in Crown of Embers where I found the climax a bit of a head-scratcher and the build up to
Ashley
Jan 26, 2016 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves, young-adult, owned
This has easily become one of my favorite series of all time, and this concluding novel did not disappoint.
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
What a great series...I honestly didn't think I would this in the beginning but I was pleasantly surprised with how this series turned out!

Even though it is tagged as YA ---- this book is great for all age groups!
Elena
May 27, 2015 Elena rated it it was amazing
4.5

Amazing conclusion to an amazing trilogy ! Highly recommending this!
Cinda
Jul 15, 2013 Cinda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya, ohio-authors
Fantastic ending to a fabulous trilogy. I just love Hector being awesome...
Lucia
Nov 02, 2015 Lucia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars-read
SERIES RATING AND SPOILER-FREE REVIEW:
Book 1: The Girl of Fire and Thorns - 4 STARS
Book 2: The Crown of Embers - 5 STARS
Book 3: The Bitter Kingdom - 5 STARS

How to sum up this trilogy? The Girl of Fire and Thorn has rich world-building, adventurous atmosphere and remarkable character development. Author also has great storytelling skills. It is so nice to have in detail planned out plot without any plot holes or disruptions of the flow of the story. To be honest, writing and story wise I have
Dani
Aug 22, 2013 Dani rated it it was amazing
*** If you are not up-to-date in this series, there will be spoilers for The Girl of Fire and Thorns and The Crown of Embers in the following review. ***

When we last left Elisa & Co. in The Crown of Embers, the situation was admittedly a little dire. And by a little, I really mean, “the fiery pit is right this way, and please, take a complimentary hand basket as you plunge straight into it.” More specifically, at the end of the last book, Elisa found herself at risk of losing her country to
Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
Overall a good conclusion to the trilogy.

After all of the excitement in The Crown of Embers, The Bitter Kingdom felt a little anticlimactic. Or maybe it felt rushed. A lot happens in this book; the fact that it's been split into four sections is telling.

In the first section, Elisa, Storm, Mara, and Belen begin their rescue mission, traveling toward Invierne. I can't say much about the second and third sections without spoilers, but the fourth section is the inevitable journey back to Joye D'Ar
Kirsti (Melbourne on my mind)
4.5 stars.

There was a LITTLE too much running-all-over-the-map stuff in this one for me to give it a full five stars, but it still wrapped up the trilogy very nicely. Elisa comes into her own so well through the course of the series, and this shows just how far she's come. I love the romantic relationship that unfolds in the course of this story, I love that not everyone gets a happy ending, I love that it's such a Latin-American world.

Essentially, the whole series was a delightful surprise, a
Kilikina
Nov 25, 2011 Kilikina marked it as to-read
Fall 2013??...Mega sad face :[
I swear if something happens to Hector like Humberto...I don't even know....
100+ Books in 2016: Annemarie's Books for 2014 1 8 Oct 26, 2014 08:53AM
David Estes Fans ...: The Bitter Kingdom Buddy Read 16 20 Jul 01, 2014 01:44AM
The Bitter Kingdom 11 59 Jun 09, 2014 05:34AM
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Raven Flight (Shadowfell, #2)
  • Asunder (Newsoul, #2)
  • A Darkness Strange and Lovely (Something Strange and Deadly, #2)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
  • Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #2)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms, #4)
  • Liar's Moon (Thief Errant, #2)
  • Lady Thief (Scarlet, #2)
  • Taste of Darkness (Healer, #3)
  • Deception (Defiance, #2)
  • Infinityglass (Hourglass, #3)
  • The Cadet of Tildor
  • My Date From Hell (The Blooming Goddess Trilogy, #2)
I write books about teens who must do brave things. I'm originally from California, but I now live in Arizona with my husband, who is the smartest and therefore sexiest man I know. My books tend to contain lots of adventure, a little magic and romance, and smart girls who make (mostly) smart choices. I especially love to write about questions I don't know the answers to.
More about Rae Carson...

Fire and Thorns (3 books)
  • The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)
  • The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)

“I think sometimes when we find love we pretend it away, or ignore it, or tell ourselves we’re imagining it. Because it is the most painful kind of hope there is.” 209 likes
“You look beautiful," Alodia says.
She nods. "Hector’s mouth is going to drop open when he sees you.”
“I hope so. But I meant me. I’m beautiful to me.”
100 likes