Start by marking “Richard Bolitho — Midshipman (Richard Bolitho, #1)” as Want to Read:
Richard Bolitho — Midshipman (Richard Bolitho, #1)

Richard Bolitho — Midshipman (Richard Bolitho #1)

October 1772, Portsmouth. And sixteen-year-old Richard Bolitho waits to join the Gorgon ordered to sail to the west coast of Africa and to destroy those who challenge the King's Navy. For Bolitho, and for many of the crew, it is a severe and testing initiation into the game of seamanship.
Published September 27th 1992 by Arrow Books (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Richard Bolitho — Midshipman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Richard Bolitho — Midshipman

Dawn
Sep 29, 2014 Dawn rated it really liked it
Young cornishman Richard Bolitho comes from a long line of seafaring men. In 1772 he is assigned to the Gorgon, an 74 gun, ship of the line, as a midshipman.
Fellow midshipman Martyn Dancer and himself distinguish themselves in the pursuit of pirates on the African coast.
I really liked this book. While in essence it's not much different than other books in the historic naval fiction genre, I found the writing smoother and the descriptions not quite as confusing. I love the thought that I will g
Farseer
May 29, 2015 Farseer rated it it was amazing
Relevant stuff from my review of Midshipman Bolitho, which collects the first two novellas in the series:

This series is more in the style of C. S. Forester's Hornblower than in the style of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin. Kent is not a fancy writer, but he writes in a straightforward and competent manner and he knows his 18th century British Navy stuff. The reader soon is immersed in the atmosphere of the ship, accompanying 16-year-old Richard Bolitho as he fulfills his midshipman duties. The
Laura Lin
Dec 12, 2015 Laura Lin rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Fast paced. Exciting battles. Characters that you almost instantly come to love or hate. The fact that it's a small book keeps one from growing bored with it. Captures the essence of sea life without confusing the reader. Just brilliant. A must read for any sea lover.
Thom Swennes
Aug 10, 2012 Thom Swennes rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All history lovers and lovers of the sea.
Richard Bolitho - Midshipman is the first book of Alexander Kent’s (Douglas Reeman’s) Bolitho series. Published in 1975, it introduces the reader to 16 year old Richard Bolitho as he boards his second ship, the HMS Gorgon. The time is 1772 and England is at peace but that doesn’t mean that the officers and men of His Majesty’s Royal Navy are idle. The Gorgon is sent to the coast of North Africa with the orders to end the plague of piracies that occur there. This is a real salt-spray in your ...more
Tim The Enchanter
A good but not great 3 Stars

The name of the book is a description of the main character. We follow 16 year old Richard Bolitho, a midshipman, aboard the vessel Gorgon as they are tasked to look into and report on the slave trade activity on the African coast.

At times, the book was exciting as there were several good battle scenes. Unfortunately, the fact this volume is so slim (160 pages to be exact) the battle scenes are over rather quickly. This is a problem with this book as a whole. The st
Aug 21, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Having heard of this series and still on a Napoleonic War/Age of Sail kick, I decided to seek it out. The writing is simpler and more straightforward than Master and Commander (it's really not fair to compare the two--despite similar settings they're very different works), and the author takes more time to explain what's going on in terms the reader might understand. This obviously has its benefits, but I ended up feeling less immersed in the world. On the other hand, in many ways I could imagin ...more
June Ahern
Sep 01, 2013 June Ahern rated it really liked it
I do love a high sea tale! And this one didn't disappoint. I've seen every Hornblower series over and over and love the adventure of new lands, brawls, warships and handsome ship commanders which Midshipman Bolitho Sea Adventures by Alexander Kent contains.With the old British language it could become a bit of a drag at times, but then!! A new combat arises and unfairness to sailors gets your goat and the whole bloody thing keeps me turning a page.
I liked it for the genre it is. I liked it for t
Nick
I really liked this book as someone who has read the navel novels by Patrick O'Brian I found this a lot easier going, not so technical with navel terms. It is fast paced and action packed would recommend it.
Rafa Sánchez
Una gran novela de aventuras, con un ritmo trepidante y una buena descripción de lo que debió ser la marina de guerra inglesa en el siglo XVIII. Literatura de evasión y entretenimiento. Seguiré leyendo futuras entregas.
Allan Luna
Sep 05, 2013 Allan Luna rated it it was amazing
Very similar to the Hornblower series, some excellent sea adventure with a goodly amount of land action and intrigue. The author seems to know his way about sailing vesssels. Can't wait to read the next book in the series.
Pete
Jul 16, 2015 Pete rated it it was amazing
One of the first books I ever read, that is of my own choice, I will ever be a Bolitho fan, naval battles at their best.
Robert Brownsmith
May 01, 2015 Robert Brownsmith rated it liked it
Entertaining. Thank goodness I read O'Brien first. I wouldn't have known my starboard from my larboard otherwise.
Ratforce
The Richard Bolitho novels contain many similarities to C.S. Forester’s Hornblower series. Both series are nautical adventures that follow one sailor’s rise through the British Navy.
Peter
May 04, 2012 Peter rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-of-sail
probably the best of the Sail period novel series emulating the Hornblower books. This is the first of the series and sets the tone for all the rest.
Sheena
Jan 13, 2010 Sheena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1988
Read this as one of my bosses at work Mr Tyerman loved sea stories and in the end i thought I would give one a go.
Linda Wallis
Jun 06, 2010 Linda Wallis rated it it was amazing
Borrowed from my brother and loved every single one of these since!
Never mind Hornblower......Bolitho is your man!
Martin Gigli
Martin Gigli rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2012
Kevin McClear
Kevin McClear rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Eric Poulin
Eric Poulin rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2015
Akratellio
Akratellio rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Mark Kelly
Mark Kelly rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2014
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2014
Rick Horne
Rick Horne rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2015
David Tomkys
David Tomkys rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2014
Dan Kujala
Dan Kujala rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2014
Scott Mitchell
Scott Mitchell rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2015
Paul Sadler
Paul Sadler rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Jason Braida
Jason Braida rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2015
Carl Foy
Carl Foy rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2015
Jarrett
Jarrett rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
  • By the Mast Divided (John Pearce, #1)
  • Ramage (The Lord Ramage Novels, #1)
  • Sails on the Horizon: A Novel of the Napoleonic Wars
  • The King's Coat (Alan Lewrie, #1)
  • Seaflower (Kydd Sea Adventures, #3)
  • Lord Hornblower (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order #10)
  • Under Enemy Colors (Charles Hayden, #1)
  • Mr. Midshipman Easy

Richard Bolitho (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Midshipman Bolitho and the Avenger (Richard Bolitho, #2)
  • Band of Brothers (Richard Bolitho, #3)
  • Stand into Danger (Richard Bolitho, #4)
  • In Gallant Company (Richard Bolitho, #5)
  • Sloop of War (Richard Bolitho, #6)
  • To Glory We Steer (Richard Bolitho, #7)
  • Command a King's Ship (Richard Bolitho, #8)
  • Passage to Mutiny (Richard Bolitho, #9)
  • With All Despatch (Richard Bolitho, #10)
  • Form Line of Battle (Richard Bolitho, #11)