Start by marking “Ace: The Very Important Pig” as Want to Read:
Ace: The Very Important Pig

Ace: The Very Important Pig

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  363 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Meet Ace, Babe's great-grandson, who also gets a new cover from Knopf Paperbacks this season. "
A Horn Book Fanfare Honor Book
An IRA/CBC Children's Choice
A School Library Journal Best Book of the Year.
Published March 10th 1992 by Yearling (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Ace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ace

Lisa Bland
Sep 12, 2011 Lisa Bland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a young pig called Ace living on a farm with Farmer Tubbs. Ace gets his name from the birth mark on his left hand side which looks like an ace of clubs.
Ace discovers from very young that he is able to understand the Queens English as well as communicating with the other animals living on the farm. Farmer Tubbs realises that Ace is no ordinary pig and is different from the rest of the animals because he can see that Ace understands him. They become very fond of each other and
Sylvia
Nov 01, 2015 Sylvia rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Ace, seekor babi yang mengerti bahasa manusia. Awalnya Ace mengira semua hewan mengerti ucapan Farmer Tubbs, namun ternyata hanya dia yang mengerti apa yang diucapkan manusia pemilik peternakan itu. Maka Ace mulai berkomunikasi dengan Farmer Tubbs. Jika dia mengorok sekali, itu artinya 'tidak'. Jika dia mengorok dua kali, itu artinya 'iya". Ace pun melatih Farmer Tubbs untuk mengerti apa yang dia inginkan. Termasuk melengkingkan suaranya yang ebrarti dia mau makan. Yup, bukan Farmer yang melatih ...more
Ice Bear
Feb 18, 2011 Ice Bear rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood-reads
I read this to my daughter, and she bought me a copy to read to my grandson. It's good to know that reading can pass down the generations.
Josiah
Mar 22, 2011 Josiah rated it it was ok
Sometimes, if one is lucky, the elements that mixed together to produce greatness in a genetic ascendant can work the same kind of magic in one's own life. For Ace, great-grandson of the renowned sheep-pig Babe, this is exactly what happens.

Ace, unlike all of his brothers and sisters on the farm where he is raised, can understand human speech right from birth. When Farmer Tubbs absent-mindedly speaks to Ace, the pig listens and is able to comprehend the meaning of his words, and before long Tu
Laura Verret
Ace doesn’t want to leave the happy farm with the rest of his siblings. He wants to stay home. So, when Farmer Tubbs asks him if he wants to go to market, Ace replies with a single grunt – that means no. None of the other animals know quite what to think when Ace tells them that he can understand human speech and that he’s developed a yes-and-no system to reply to them, but since Ace is a sweet young pig, they make friends with him. All of them except Megan.

Megan, the Corgi, considers herself to
Soobie's heartbroken
A dodici anni, Soobie scriveva:
Bellissimo libro. Asso, il settimo dei maialini di un fattore e a questi sembra il più intelligente così non lo manda al mercato e lo tiene. Così Asso rimane alla fattoria, dove incontra Nanny, una pecora. Poi arriva la celebrità.
JennLynn
May 01, 2014 JennLynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-my-books
A very sweet, gentle and beautifully written story about a highly intelligent pig who becomes a cherished member of a farmer's family. Ace's relationships with the resident cat, dog and goat are delightful reading, as is his misadventure at the local pub.
Chrisann Justice
Jan 10, 2015 Chrisann Justice rated it it was amazing
I discovered Dick King Smith's books when looking for chapter books to read to Joseph and Alex. We loved every single one we read together!
Charlotte
Feb 03, 2016 Charlotte rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
Obviously I'm not the target audience for this book but I I didn't really enjoy this I found it boring. This is about a pig who can understand English and the adventures he has on the farm.
Laurian
Jul 24, 2013 Laurian rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, children
After reading the Wind and the Willows Cam (4 years old) and I went to the library to see if the librarian had recommendations for similar chapter books that we could read (a chapter a night). It couldn't be too scary and talking animals seemed to be a hit. This book was the first recommendation. Cam seemed to like it especially when I did silly voices for farmer Tubs. But, when we finished earlier tonight he didn't immediately ask me to read it again like he did for the Wind and the Willows. So ...more
Alex Johnson
Jan 23, 2016 Alex Johnson rated it it was amazing
I first read this book when I was in elementary school and I loved it. I had not picked it up again until now. Still a charming and engaging read about an extraordinary pig. Ace is smart and loves to watch television...I think I connected with this as a kid and I still do lol.
James Govednik
Oct 18, 2009 James Govednik rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
CuteFun book for ages 6-7 as a read-aloud, ages 7-9 for independent reading. Ace, the pig of the title, is the Great-Grandson of Dick King-Smith's other notable pig, Babe. Even Farmer Hogget gets a mention. And here is where I edited out the swine fluH1N1 joke.
Jessica
Jun 20, 2013 Jessica rated it liked it
I listened to the audio book and enjoyed it. It's a sort of sequel to "Babe." Ace is a descendant of Babe, but he is special in a different way. My favorite part of the book is the Welsh Corgi, who thinks of herself as royalty because the Queen owns corgis.
Michãel
Jun 16, 2013 Michãel rated it really liked it
Very sweet book, funny, nice dialogue, reminiscent of Charlotte's Web, but without the drama and scary bits. Had to explain some of the British idioms and the pig does get drunk on beer once and enjoys alcohol later in moderation. ;-)
Joy Boyz
Oct 04, 2012 Joy Boyz rated it really liked it
We loved it. I could've done without the part about the pig drinking beer, I edited it to cider. Dick King-Smith is proving to be right up there with Roald Dahl with my boys. They love his stories!
Keiana taisacan
Dec 18, 2010 Keiana taisacan rated it it was amazing
i love this crazy book that hasyou on the edge of your seat waiting to see what will happen in his life nd what will happend now that he discouvers his intellegance
Kate B
Jun 03, 2015 Kate B rated it liked it
Between Dick King-Smith and the author of Charlotte's web we're at rick of never enjoying a bacon sandwich again.
Stargazer
Mar 06, 2013 Stargazer rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-under-12s
Wouldn't read this at the school because of the beer references, but I enjoyed it almost as much as 'Babe'.
Olivia
Oct 15, 2008 Olivia rated it it was amazing
I like this book because tells u how he helps people and how he is isvery funny.
Matt
Aug 04, 2011 Matt added it
Decent childrens book. Nowhere near the level of "Babe" though!
Melissa
May 09, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Read this with my 3rd grader. We both really enjoyed it.
Julia
Feb 22, 2010 Julia rated it really liked it
I read this for a book report.
Alisa
Jul 20, 2012 Alisa rated it really liked it
He WAS and important pig!!
ChIkkA FoReVeR
Jun 16, 2011 ChIkkA FoReVeR rated it it was amazing
this book is very good
Christina
Nov 14, 2012 Christina marked it as to-read
Zach's 2nd grade
Sam Rayburn
Sam Rayburn marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Carson
Carson rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
  • The Adventures of Chatterer the Red Squirrel
  • Stay!: Keeper's Story
  • There's an Owl in the Shower
  • Freddy the Detective
  • The Mayor of Central Park
  • The Middle of Somewhere
  • The Black Tower (Herculeah Jones Mysteries, #7)
  • Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines (The Rescuers, #4)
  • Tall Tales
  • Not That I Care (Friendship Ring, #3)
  • It Was a Dark and Stormy Night
  • A Taste for Rabbit
  • The Piggy in the Puddle
  • Longtusk (Mammoth, #2)
Dick King-Smith was born and raised in Gloucestershire, England, surrounded by pet animals. After twenty years as a farmer, he turned to teaching and then to writing children's books.

Dick writes mostly about animals: farmyard fantasy, as he likes to call it, often about pigs, his special favorites. He enjoys writing for children, meeting the children who read his books, and knowing that they get
More about Dick King-Smith...

“A little of what you like does you good. But you can have too much of a good thing.” 4 likes
“Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy and wise if it don't make him wealthy.” 2 likes