Start by marking “The Jackpot” as Want to Read:
The Jackpot

The Jackpot

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  46 reviews
It hasn't been a very good day for attorney Samantha Khouri. She's been passed over for partner at her law firm, she's coming down with the flu, and she's just learned that her parents' business is teetering on the brink of failure.

But when she discovers that her financially desperate boss has stolen their new client's gigantic winning lottery ticket, she realizes her day
Published (first published May 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Jackpot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jackpot

The Jackpot by David KazzieThe Whaler by Steve RoachCity of Darkness by Kim WrightThe Black Witch by Micheal RiversThe Spanish Helmet by Greg Scowen
Books that look Good
1st out of 70 books — 7 voters
The Firm by John GrishamCornered Coyote by Dianne HarmanThe Lincoln Lawyer by Michael ConnellyA Time to Kill by John GrishamA Game of Proof by Tim Vicary
Legal Thrillers
97th out of 136 books — 253 voters

More lists with this book...

Lynnette Phillips
Jackpot is definitely a different kind of legal thriller. You’ve probably seen David’s You Tube hits So You Want To Go To Law School and So You Want To Write A Novel but until you’ve read his debut novel you can’t fully appreciate his flair for dark humor.

Julius buys the $415 million winning ticket in SuperLotto. He’s so dumbfounded by his good fortune he’s not sure what to do next so he seeks out the advice of attorney Samantha Khouri.

Samantha has had what might be called a bad day; she was pas
Andrew Fischer
Very fast read that keeps you turning the pages faster and faster. All of us have dreamed of winning the big lottery, but none of us knows the problems that can occur. Great read!!
Darrell Delamaide
David Kazzie has written a thoroughly entertaining thriller that shares many of the good qualities of Elmore Leonard and Carl Hiaasen while introducing a wholly original voice. The story takes off from the first page and hardly lets you put it down.

Kazzie succeeds at many levels. Part of what keeps you reading is the violence, the turns it takes and the suddenness of unexpected death. Part of it is the quirkiness of the characters; Kazzie takes the time to explore each character and endow them w
Mike
This has over forty reviews on Amazon so just about everything has been said. The plot idea is not new but that could be said about almost every book recently written. The telling of the tale and the twists and turns of the story keep you reading about the ticket holders' dilemmas. (Even the one star reviewer admits to skimming through it to find out what happens - writer's job done as far as I'm concerned). As a début this is good and bodes well for the writerly future.
Anand
This novel will not leave you disappointed. As a thriller, it attains the objective of entertaining the reader, with lucid and clean style of narrative, coherent plot development, and a reasonably in depth character development. The protagonist, Samantha Khourie, is relatable. The story is interesting and unique, though at times a bit stretched to be believable (especially the second half, where a dangerous killer is on the loose, chasing Samantha and her friend through the city, and try however ...more
A Book Vacation
This is an extremely well written, captivating novel. Kazzie has a superb way with words and is able to keep the reader easily engulfed within this suspenseful tale of deceitand betrayal. Samantha Khouri, an attorney trying to do right by her client, quickly finds herself in the middle of a cat and mouse chase as she attempts to return a lottery ticket, worth $415 million, to the rightful owner. Unbeknownst to Samantha, and those she comes into contact with, her life is in danger simply because ...more
Delaine
WAS REALLY IMPRESSED WITH THIS KINDLE BOOK I BOUGHT .
GREAT THRILLER , SUMMER READ & CAN'T BEAT THE UNDER $6.00 PRICE .
HOPE TO SEE LOTS MORE FROM THIS WRITER .
ENJOY !
Beth
Wow! My only regret is that I cannot give this book 6 stars. I am always a bit hesitant with fiction books as you can often guess what is going to happen about 25 pages in. About 1/3 of the way through this book, the other completely blew away what I thought was going to happen and continued to surprise me all the way until the end. I will definitely be reading any more books that this author writes and I have just called 2 people on the phone to recommend that they go out and read it.
Rodney
I thoroughly enjoyed The Jackpot by David Kazzie. This book is very well written with many plot twists and turns. It grabs you from the first chapter and carries you along through a story with more surprises than I anticipated. The plot is a mostly original idea and I never saw the ending coming.

Highly recommended a solid 5 stars.
D.G. Sandru
Excellent book, well written, captivating, comprising of very realistic language appropriate for each character and social environment. The wit is comparable with Dean Koontz, which I enjoyed very much. The end was a semi-shocker, but it solved the moral dilemma would have ended otherwise. Good book to read.
Julie
I really enjoyed this fast paced, thrilling book about what happened when one ordinary man won an extraordinary amount of money. I recommend it if you like mystery/thrillers. Be warned--it's not easy to put down and I was thankful my Kindle was able to read it to me as I went about my various tasks.
Traci Floyd
This is a book I got for free on my Kindle. To be honest, I didn't really have high expectations for it, but from the first few pages, I was hooked. There are so many twists and turns in the plot that you never know what to expect. A great read! Hope the author writes many more!
Rebecca
This was not a pleasant book for me to read. I skimmed most of it just to find out what happened. It seems like characters suddenly appeared for convenience to add to the story. Too much killing.
I should have just read the epilogue.
Clint
I really liked this book. There was some strong language, so not for those of you with faint hearts. (mom). I liked how the story line didn't go as I thought it would and there were some pretty cool and interesting twists.
Richard Philbrick
What happens when you win the biggest Lotto jackpot in history? Well, everyone wants the ticket and the bodies start to stack up. This was an incredibly fast-paced book and an greatly entertaining read.
Michael Twist
Fantastic effort by debut novelist David Kazzie. The action ramps with each page as Mr. Kazzie demonstrates his acute understanding of the legal profession as well as human nature in general.
Sue  Turner
Crazy fast action, well written. A plot full of threads that pull the reader forward to the very end. A wild read with understated humor that counteracts the plunder and pillage.
Dawn Kluka
This just became my favorite book. I love everything about it. I want to see it made into a movie. It has suspense, action, romance. All around terrific read.
Anne
Easy read and enjoyed it.
Ed Scott
Lots of exciting moments, but how many times can a person elude someone who really wants to kill her. Ending was a little far-fetched too.
Kat
Great to have my heroine be a Lebanese girl. I enjoyed the book and never knew for sure what she was gonna do.
Shirley
The old adage that money is the root of all evil could be the one liner to describe the theme of this book.
Shon Hopwood
A quick read because the action never stops.
Emily Hill
I discovered David Kazzie last November when his YouTube video, 'So You Want To Be A Writer' went viral. And you KNOW why it went viral, don't you?? If you've seen it, you know it answered the groundswell frustration of every emerging writer who wasn't getting an agent/publishera hook-up.

It was the absolute talisman of why Go Indie! became a rallying cry.

I began closing my 'All Smart Cookies Can Self Publish' workshops with the Kazzie clip. I followed his blog. Contacting him, ultimately, I ask
Gloria Antypowich
I would give this a 4.5 if I could.

How many of us dream of having the winning lottery tickets? You might think twice after reading “The Jackpot”! This was a riveting story from the first paragraph and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I read until late at night to discover how it would end.

Julius Wheeler hasn’t had an easy life. He has spent time in prison and is trying to live life on the right side of the law now. He works twenty hours a week, making eight dollars an hour,as a member of the CleanSweep
J.
A thriller about a $415 million lottery ticket and all the people who want it.

Self-published first novel which I found out about via a random series of blog links, and *really* good considering that. Read the first chapter, and actually wanted to keep reading. The protagonist was an interesting, relatable everywoman (oh, also, awesome, right? An everywoman rather than everyman in a thriller, and the book never makes a big deal of this or even gives you any reason to particularly notice it. I did
Trey Simmons
1. What did you like about the book and what could’ve been better?
I loved every moment reading this book it created suspense at every turn I could not put it down! The lives of many are intertwined as the ticket literally changes hands multiple times, through both honesty and deceit. It could have been more organized as you often skip scenes, however there were so many twists and turns within the novel, so it was easy to follow as Kazzie keeps the reader extremely well informed; the ending left
Stacy
The Jackpot seemed like a timely read since the Powerball drawing was in the news last week. This was a debut book by David Kazzie that focuses on how greed can cause things to go really really wrong when somebody wins a large lottery payout. In this case, a down on his luck janitor has won just over $450mm. Unsure of what to do he turns to a lawyer at the firm where he cleans at night for help. Samantha in turn discusses the case with her boss Carter. That is where greed kicks in and sets off t ...more
Loren DeShon
I've recently been exploring the world of inexpensive, independently published ebooks, and while for the most part they have been better than expected, none have measured up to what one expects rom a traditionally published novel that has made it through the filtering process of agents, publishers, editors, etc--until I read THE JACKPOT.

THE JACKPOT is a first rate contemporary thriller. A janitor wins a $450 million dollar lottery, goes to a prestigious law firm for legal advice, and everyone fr
Janice
Oct 14, 2011 Janice added it
Shelves: 21st-century
Disclosure: I know the author!

The Jackpot is a fun read. It has lots of twists and turns, quirky characters, and local color. The story traces the impact of a winning mega-jackpot ticket, exposing fault-lines in society and in individual morality. Villains are spurred to violence, heroes are tempted to their core. Issues of class and race explode in an orgy of greed and betrayal. Through it all, Dave Kazzie writes with a razor-sharp wit, skewering Richmond, VA, and the world of corporate law. I
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Children of the Plantation
  • The Shopkeeper
  • Regret
  • The House of the Wicked
  • A Fatal Verdict (The Trials of Sarah Newby, #2)
  • The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set
  • Crazy Little Thing Called Dead (The Bree MacGowan Series, #3)
Successful Self-Publishing: How We Do It (And How You Can Too)