Start by marking “Tartine” as Want to Read:

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  2,992 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Every once in a while, a cookbook comes along that instantly says "classic." This is one of them. Acclaimed pastry chef Elisabeth Prueitt and master baker Chad Robertson share not only their fabulous recipes, but also the secrets and expertise that transform a delicious homemade treat into a great one. It's no wonder there are lines out the door of Elisabeth and Chad's acc ...more
Published August 24th 2006 by Chronicle Books

The blurb for this book says: "Every once in a while, a cookbook comes along that instantly says "classic." This is one of them." Never have truer words been written!
This cookbook has everything to stretch the ability of an amateur baker to keeping a professional pastry chef interested. Herein are basics such as croissant/danish dough, puff pastry, different kinds of tarts, sweet breads, cookies, cakes, etc. You want baking, you got it! There are explanations on the techniques and the choice of
Uh-oh. It seems I'm one of those rare folks who isn't raving about this cookbook. My review comes from the reading aspect of this only-- not the results from any recipes, because I haven't made any of them yet. Don't throw rotten tomatoes at me, because I know it's annoying to have someone rate a cookbook who hasn't actually made anything from it. So, here's the problem-- I wasn't inspired to WANT to make anything from the cookbook. Yeah. I do love to bake, and I'm not afraid to try new things. ...more
I've been baking out of this book for exactly one year, creating exceptional desserts. My friends and family praise my baking, but the reality is, all I'm doing is following directions. I can only humbly attribute my baking successes to the ability of this book to communicate effectively, the results of which I've chronicled into a personal blog called thetartineproject.
February Four
Lots of yummy-looking recipes to try. The best part is the VERY detailed explanations they talk about, such as how the dough should look, and recommended techniques (eg. instead of beating egg whites at high speed to get stiff peaks quickly, beat them at a lower speed for a longer period of time to get a finer texture).
Yasmine Alfouzan
My current favorite cookbook. I reviewed it here:

And I made a recipe from it, 'Almond-Lemon Tea Cake' which was crazy delicious and quite possibly the best citrusy cake I have ever had. You can see the process/recipe here:
Good book, I use a bunch of the recipes. Wish there were a few more from the bakeshop
I just made the banana cream pie recipe in the book, and though it was quite labor intensive, it was well worth the effort. I have a newfound respect for pastry chefs.

There were multiple recipes that went into the pie which made it difficult to make all at once since I had to keep flipping back and forth between the recipes for the pie shell, pastry cream, caramel, and the banana cream pie recipe that brought it all together. But it's nice to know that the same recipes can be re-used in other re
i was expecting A LOT more pictures but this cook book is more like for some one who is already an accomplished baker and REALLY knows their way around a kitchen. this would be a place that i would go and eat and buy things but as far as making these things for myself i would have to say no i will admit i would be over my head
Christopher Bunn
Brilliant. Superbly written and carefully constructed for the non-pastry person (such as myself, though, I have to say I have fruit pies down cold). Tartine has an excellent array of recipes taken from the Tartine Bakery in San Francisco. My wife was recently up there and came away with an assortment of pastries (lemon, raspberry frangipane, banana cream). Deceptively simple, with an emphasis on deceptive. Anyway, I baked all three of those, plus an apple tart, from the recipes in Tartine. First ...more

This is a fantastic book and I have promised myself that the next time I go to San Francisco I am going to line-up if I have to in order to taste the delicious food and baking at Tartine! What a treat! I also need to get this book and bake many of these amazing recipes. I am inspired to do more and I loved all the stories behind the recipes and the straight forward instructions. For anyone who loves to bake or even ever thought of baking this is a must-have volume. I plan to read Tartine Bread
Julia Lundman
Love it but surprised it doesn't have more recipes from the bakery and very few photos. Still, a great purchase for a baker.
Mills College Library
641.865 P9715 2006
Put simply, Tartine is Mecca, and this book is their gospel.

Thanks to this book, you shall no longer need to stand in line in hopes of receive your sacrament... and you needn't worry that the person in front of you in line will get the last Frangipane croissant.

Except, of course, if you want a morning bun - you'll have to get out of bed and get your ass down to 18th & Guererro if you want one of those - they 'forgot' to include that recipe :\

Again, this is four stars from me because of my not knowing enough to give it five stars. Katya lent me her copy several times. I have just copied the brioche recipe because I have 8 brioche tins from I believe either my great aunt or my grandmother. I am dying to use them. Kayta has never had a recipe fail and it is a beauiful book.
Beautiful pics and mouth watering recipes. I borrowed this book from our library but never got to bake anything from it as most of the recipes were really involved and I just didn't have the time this month. I'll probably borrow it again when looking for some baking inspiration but I don't think I'll be buying it.
I received this cookbook for my birthday a few years ago, and I still can't get over how pretty it is! I made another recipe from it last week and was reminded how delicious all the treats in this book are. These are not easy baking projects - they will sometimes require several days. But they are well worth it!
who thought a famous bakery in sf would be willing to share their recipes with you?? but it's true! now you can make your own quiche (best i've ever tasted), gougeres, banana cream pies, etc etc in the comfort of your own home. just make sure you stock plenty of butter.
If you live in SF, or have ever had brunch at Tartine, you've GOT to check this book out if only to get the recipe for the fabulous fruit-topped brioche pudding--more like a souffle. And the lemon pound cake. And for anything else you want to bake.
I really liked the look of this cookbook and the recipes were mouth-wateringly to-die-for. But the average recipe had three to four pages of instructions making it too intimidating for me to do more than salivate over the pictures and then go eat an Oreo.
This is one of my favorite pasty books of all time. The photography and food styling are amazing and definitely an inspirational resource at my job. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in taking their baking to the next level.
This cookbook is beautiful and inspiring, but the recipes are all-day affairs, and sometimes the finished product isn't divine enough to justify all the work it took to make. Once Patrick spent something like 6 hours on a single chocolate cake!
A beautiful book with recipes that are delicious and work. The recipes are pretty exact in method, but the outcomes are well worth the pickiness. And I also highly recommend you check out the shop next time you're in San Francisco.

I've loved this book ever since it was given to me a couple of years ago. I love it even more since a recent visit to San Francisco, of which a visit to Tartine Bakery was one of many highlights. Great stuff!
Tartine, my favorite french bakery in the Mission, put out this cookbook. My scones taste just like their scones which, in my mind, makes them perfect. Many fancy desserts and bakery standbys. Excellent baking book.
I love bakery cookbooks - they serve as inspiration for me for when I get to open my own.
Devils food cake is good in this one and I'm dying to try the lemon meringue cake - because I love all things lemon meringue.
Dec 30, 2007 Angelar rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with tastebuds and dedication
Shelves: vittles
Oh, Tartine. This cookbook is like having a little shrine to the finest bakery I've ever visited (in the Mission in San Francisco). Beautiful photographs, mouth-watering recipes, and clear, helpful directions.
I love this cafe/bakery in SF! However, some of the recipes are a little off. You'll need to play around with measurements. For example, the gougeres need a lot more cheese and spice than the book calls for...
Makes the flawless goods of Tartine accessible in the home kitchen. Clear recipes that don't sacrifice the quality of the final product for simplicity's sake. Beautiful photographs and overall design.
Pirate Nurse
beautiful not for your average at-home baker. even the easiest recipes are difficult. it's such a gorgeous book, though, so it lives on my coffee table.
Jennifer Wilson
Beautiful. Sometimes I just read the recipes - with their explanations and photos and incredibly detailed descriptions - without any intention of cooking anything
  • Tartine Bread
  • Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • The Pie and Pastry Bible
  • Miette: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop
  • The Pastry Queen: Royally Good Recipes From the Texas Hill Country's Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe
  • Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Cafés of Vienna, Budapest and Prague
  • Chocolates and Confections: Formula, Theory, and Technique for the Artisan Confectioner
  • Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours
  • The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant
  • Baking
  • Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More
  • Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day: Fast and Easy Recipes for World-Class Breads