Start by marking “Tillie and the Wall” as Want to Read:
Tillie and the Wall

Tillie and the Wall

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  14 reviews
All her life Tillie the mouse has wondered what lies on the other side of the wall. Imagining all sorts of fantastic possibilities, she digs a tunnel to get to the other side, where she discovers . . . other mice, just like her! Together, Tillie and her friends work to bring down the wall and unite mouse-kind. Written just before the fall of the Berlin wall, this seemingly ...more
Published March 23rd 2010 by Dragonfly Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Tillie and the Wall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tillie and the Wall

Russell
While the seemingly obvious comparison would be to the wall in A Game of Thrones, ultimately the anthropological effect of the wall is more like the dust cloud around Krikkit in Life, the Universe and Everything. (view spoiler) ...more
Chelsea
I thought I knew all of Lionni's books, but apparently I missed this one as a kid, because it was completely new to me when it came into the store last week. The illustrations, as always, were wonderful.

Mostly I'm reviewing this one because I'm dying to know if this was where the band Tilly and the Wall got their name. The internet doesn't seem to think so, but ... they must have, right? It's fact in my head now. :)
Karin
Well, think of when someone asks you if your dog is smart,and you answer that he's sweet, that's how I feel about this book. It was predictable to the point of being cliche', however, I have to applaud Lionni for allowing one of his beloved mice the courage to find the answer to her own question, and not accepting the status quo. In her quest to find what is on the other side of the wall she has lived with all her life, we are presented with three full-page spreads of delightful illustrations. A ...more
Cindy
This totally explains everything about mice. How they're always in groups, and never just one of them. I'll never look at mice the same way again. Anywho, I like this story, but doesn't beat his other stories.
Anna Stover
What seems predictable and cliche is often fresh and new for children, and Leo Lionni had a true gift for infusing his books with gentle messages of hope and acceptance that are always fresh and never trite. It helps if course that his illustrations are so beautiful, perfectly illustrating the mood and theme of each character and place on every page. It is important for adults to keep in mind that sometimes cliches are there for a reason, and to try to look at the lessons in a book written for c ...more
Molly
It was alright- some promising artwork inside, even if the story was so-so.
Suburban Homeschooler
Surprisingly uninspired story.
Mckinley
What's on the other side of the wall? Curious mouse finds more of same and celebrates. Exciting premise ends up so boring.
Snorkle
This book was a little boring. I found the plot predictable (not that I knew what was on the other side of the wall, but I knew Tillie would find it.) The ending wasn't surprising and I felt like the story was kind of bland. I would only recommend reading if you were a die-hard Lionni fan.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2011...
Connie
This is a sweet story (most of Lionni's stories are sweet, aren't they?) about a mouse and... well, yes, a wall : )

She works hard to get over the wall, or around the wall, or through the wall... until finally she realizes she can go UNDER it, and she's hailed as a hero for ever.

I don't know why Lionni's stories are so good, there's not much too them, but they... they last.
Emerson School  Library
I love that the free thinkers and outsiders in Lionni's books always win out because the others around them appreciate their quirks and their art. They're visionaries whose curiosity pays off because the others in their communities are their best selves. It makes for an awfully nice read-aloud.
Anna Wick
This is one of my favorite books because it encourages students to see whats on "the other side". It encourages them to do something they've never done before.
Sarah Goodwin
This book encourages students to dream, and then persevere to achieve those dreams! It is an inspiring book that would be great for a read aloud.
Pinn
Oct 23, 2008 Pinn added it
I learned about Lionni and his beautiful art. Now I am reading all the others.
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Artemia Lagoon
Artemia Lagoon marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
  • Maria Had a Little Llama / María Tenía Una Llamita
  • Dex: The Heart of a Hero
  • Waiting for the Biblioburro
FROM PUBLISHER:
Leo Lionni wrote and illustrated more than 40 highly acclaimed children's books. He received the 1984 American Institute of Graphic Arts Gold Medal and was a four-time Caldecott Honor Winner--for Inch by Inch, Frederick, Swimmy, and Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse. Leo Lionni died in October of 1999 at his home in Tuscany, Italy, at the age of 89.

Leo Lionni has gained international