Start by marking “The House That War Minister Built” as Want to Read:
The House That War Minister Built

The House That War Minister Built

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  15 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
An Iranian family struggles for redemption amid the twentieth-century conflicts between a medieval religion and a modernizing population, between emerging nationalism and foreign repression. An epic saga with iconic characters, cultural insights, and evocative historical details, The House That War Minister Built covers the Iranian experience from the end of the Qajar dyna ...more
Published September 20th 2011 by Octavio LLC

To ask other readers questions about The House That War Minister Built, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House That War Minister Built

Che'rei Holley
Apr 26, 2012 Che'rei Holley rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, free
The House That War Minister Built by Andrew Imbrie Dayton was a work of historical fiction following an Iranian family for more than a century. The changes they endured from royalty to commoner, love to indifference, hope to despair, and youth to maturity. The historical and cultural information within the story was very enlightening. I have a new view of our Iranian neighbors after reading this amazing account. I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Heather
May 02, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a historical fiction novel about three generations of an Iranian family. The rich details taught me a lot about the Persian/Iranian culture and the struggles that Iranian people had and most likely still have. The characters are brought to life through Dayton's great writing. I found it hard to put the book down. I enjoyed reading The House That War Minister Built and am happy I received a signed copy!
Georgiann Hennelly
May 07, 2012 Georgiann Hennelly rated it it was amazing
This is an epic saga with iconic characters, cultural insights , and historical details. An Iranian family struggles for redemption. A loving, true to life portrait of a nation set against religious and political turmoil of Iran, two generations of persian women struggle towards understanding. The story is beautifully portrayed.
Patricia
Jun 20, 2015 Patricia rated it liked it
Shelves: novel
A tale that recounts events in 20th century Iran as seen through the eves of the War Minister's 3rd wife and widow, Nargess Khanoum. In her 108 years she has witnessed two world wars, an oil boom, 2 Pahlavi shahs (Reza and Mohamed), mullahs, and family drama: love, hate, greed,betrayal, intrigue, horrible gossip, and suicides. All families have their ups and downs but her family is unhappy and angry all of the time. Nargess is naive and trusts the wrong people.. The men in her family make poor c ...more
ChrisGA
Sep 04, 2012 ChrisGA rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
THE HOUSE THE WAR MINISTER BUILT is an insight into a world unknown to me. I have very little knowledge of Iranian history and culture, and this book was an enjoyable way to sample it. It is my lack of such background, however, that made it difficult to immerse myself in the storyline. I struggled to figure out exactly what was happening throughout the first quarter of the book, confused by terms and events I didn’t understand. That said, the book is worth fighting through for the human face it ...more
Rodney Rodriguez
May 12, 2013 Rodney Rodriguez rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I received my copy through the goodreads first read program. I generally like historical fiction but this book was heavy on useless details and I couldn't quite follow the characters. I was bored by the monotony of the rhythm and finally gave up on trying to finish about half way through. I hope to pick it up and attempt to finish at a later date since I feel it unfair to review having not finished the book.
Chelsea Miller
Jun 10, 2012 Chelsea Miller rated it did not like it
Reading this book was a struggle for me. The story was heavy on details and spanned such a long period of time that I found myself skimming through portions just to feel like I was getting somewhere. Generally I am a fan of historical fiction but this book hasn't left a lasting impression on me. *I won this book for free through Goodreads first reads.*
Pam
Apr 20, 2013 Pam marked it as to-read
I just couldn't get into this book, may have to try again.
Susan
Susan added it
May 28, 2015
Mary Steiner
Mary Steiner rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2014
Kelli Tarala
Kelli Tarala marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2012
Nicole Woods
Nicole Woods marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2012
Lewis Halliwell
Lewis Halliwell marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2012
Danielle Joy
Danielle Joy marked it as to-read
Jeannie
Jeannie marked it as to-read
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Emilie
Emilie marked it as to-read
Rebecca Graf
Rebecca Graf marked it as to-read
Alysa Morley
Alysa Morley marked it as to-read
Kelley
Kelley marked it as to-read
Susan Goss
Susan Goss marked it as to-read
Natalie Davidson
Natalie Davidson marked it as to-read
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Shantria
Shantria marked it as to-read
Stacy Robinson
Stacy Robinson marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2012
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2012
Zach
Zach marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2012
Aalabamadill
Aalabamadill marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2012