Miss MacKenzie

Miss MacKenzie

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  290 ratings  ·  41 reviews
This is a reproduction of a book published before 1923. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We believe this work is culturally important, and despite the imperfections, have elected to bring it back into pri...more
Published October 13th 2010 by Echo Library (first published 1865)

To ask other readers questions about Miss MacKenzie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss MacKenzie

Jim
I can think of no more amiable writer than Anthony Trollope, whose novels can be read again and again without any diminution of their original power. As a member of the Yahoo! Trollope group, I have read approximately three-quarters of his 47 novels, many of them twice, and at least one of them (The Way We Live Now) three times.

What is there about Trollope's work that makes it so multiply readable? My answer would have to include such factors as his high moral tone (without appearing to be prig...more
Petra X
Extremely soppy story that would make a stunning costume drama for the BBC as it has all the right elements - nasty dowager duchesses, scamming suitors, impoverished lovers and people dying of consumption or similar. At the end everyone's fortunes are reversed - the poor have money, the snotty get their comeupance, and those who might have been in love for pecuniary advantage are proved to have been decent joes all along. Everyone who deserves to lives Happily Ever After.

Its all quite light and...more
Julie
Dans ma découverte de la littérature anglaise, je découvre cet opus d'Anthony Trollope, auteur qui, je l'avoue, m'était totalement inconnu jusqu'à lors.
Après un début un peu longuet, et malgré un style qui peut dérouter les habitués des auteurs Français comme Zola ou Balzac (cf. les adresses directes au lecteurs par le narrateur), on rentre vite dans l'ambiance victorienne du roman marquée par ses codes et ses règles sociales rigides, les luttes intestines pour quelque héritage, et bien sur, ce...more
Margaret
This is an overlooked small gem of a novel. Margaret Mackenzie is a spinster in her mid-thirties who receives a large inheritance when her brother dies and must then deal with what comes with the inheritance, including several suitors, who may or may not simply be after her money. Trollope depicts Miss Mackenzie with his usual unsparing honesty, and although in his autobiography he called her "a very unattractive old maid", her modesty, charity, and dignity endear her to the reader. I found myse...more
Dianne
Never read this, but was seduced by the fact that it was free on the Kindle. What a good find! Really makes you feel how exposed and fragile was the state of women's lives a couple of centuries ago...at the mercy of the inheritance laws and the good will of family to support them. The sheltered existence led by our heroine as she cares for her brother, who then dies, leaves her totally unprepared to deal with the world on her own. Fun to immerse oneself in such an alien world!
Mike
My first Trollope and a pleasant surprise. For a modern reader not much happens but I quickly found myself immersed in the authors world. His delineation of the female characters is particularly strong and there are many humorous touches. Loved the image of the Rev. Maguire moving 'promiscuously' among the tables at Mrs. Stumfolds tea party. Summed the man up in a sentence. Tempted now to try the first Palliser novel.
Michele
A wonderful book; Trollope's characterisations are remarkably accurate. Indeed the truly wonderful thing about this is that the reader becomes Miss Mackenzie; you react as she would react, however foolish . Now I don't know about you but I think that is quite clever.

Tim
I have found I really do like Trollope and I am trying to discover why, because this book's plot is tedious and the way he treats the title character is almost contemptuous. I suppose it is the 19th century response to the "spinster," but Margaret is only in her mid-30s and comes from genteel stock (class raises its head again and again as well) and her inheritance upon her brother's death causes all sorts of murky men to rise towards her. But I kept reading for the descriptions and because I ca...more
Celia
A very saccharine story as befits the author and the period. Nevertheless it was entertaining, and would have been more so if it had been half as long!
Kat
This unusually short and uncomplicated Trollope novel was a delicious read; there isn't a single slow spot. And the novel is especially interesting from a feminist perspective. I think I can safely say that it's the most unromantic novel with a marital plot--that is, a plot that ends with marriage--that I have ever read.

Miss Mackenzie spent her youth in a dependent and confined environment, nursing her invalid brother. At his death she finds herself free and well to do, and sets out to discover...more
Eliza
Miss Mackenzie, malgré ses 35 ans, n’a quasiment pas vécu : garde-malade de son père, puis de son frère, elle n’a jamais fréquenté la bonne société ni appris les usages du monde. Aussi est-ce avec un oeil malicieux et beaucoup de tendresse que Trollope met son héroïne aux prises avec ce monde. En faisant cet héritage, Miss Mackenzie décide de se comporter comme ce qu’elle croit être, une vieille fille riche. Elle prend donc sous son aile l’une de ses nièces et part vivre dans une petite bourgade...more
Alice
• Mlle Alice, pouvez-vous nous raconter votre rencontre avec Miss Mackenzie?

"Ce livre est le résultat d'une grande chasse à l'auteur qui pourrait valoir Jane Austen! J'ai eu une époque comme ça dont ma PAL garde des vestiges tel que Daniel Deronda ou La Foire aux Vanités."

• Dites-nous en un peu plus sur son histoire...

"Miss Mackenzie a vécu toute sa vie seule et dépendante des autres à s'occuper d'abord de son père, puis de son frère malade. A la mort de ce dernier, elle va hériter d'une som...more
Mrsgaskell
Anthony Trollope is a favourite author of mine and I've been wanting to read Miss Mackenzie for several years. With my brand new Kindle, getting a copy was incredibly swift and easy - not to mention cheap! I'm happy to report that my first Kindle reading experience was a pleasure - Trollope didn't let me down nor did this amazing reading device.

Margaret Mackenzie's mother died when she and her two older brothers were children. Her father was employed at Somerset House and the family was reasona...more
Robyn
Sadly overlooked in the 21st century, Anthony Trollope is a gem of the British literary establishment whose books, whilst less enduringly popular than Austen or the Brontes, are every bit as witty, intelligent and timeless.

Miss Mackenzie tells the story of a middle-aged woman who, having nursed her sick brother for her entire life, finds herself to be the recipient of his fortune when he dies. As she attempts to navigate the social whirl to which she has never before been exposed, the unexpected...more
Kay
Reading this book for the umpteenth time I loved it more than ever. Short and sweet, it has all of Trollope's best features writ small: an engaging plot, funny set-pieces, and characters who mix good and bad and smart and stupid in a thoroughly realistic way. Even the sometimes dithery narrative style adds to the overall perfection of the book, echoing the mind of Miss Mackenzie herself whose thoughts are deep but not neccessarily clear.

My favorite thing about Trollope is his genuine sympathy f...more
Bmankiewicz
Fun to read but not enough description of setting, just, he said then she said and then they went here and then they went there. Why did Victorian men and women think the world owed them an income? As an American I think it is so presumptuous. Nevertheless, Trollope is a good read. Who can forget the yellow gloves and the lazy eye of Miss Mackenzie's two suitors.
Katrina
I really enjoyed this one, but then I am a bit of a Trollope fan. Margaret McKenzie is a spinster who was left nothing when her father died, all his money was divided between his sons. One son is feckless with money and a poor businessman and the other son had been successful early in life but then had a lingering illness through which Margaret had nursed him. In gratitude he leaves his money to Margaret and she decides to move out of London to a fashionable watering place and takes a young niec...more
Wally
Listened to this driving cross-country. It was perfect. The route I took was dull and mostly empty. Had a very nice (free!) audio version from Librivox.org, which I highly recommend; both the audiobook and the website. Some of their readers are great.

Miss Mackenzie is one of Trollope's Virtuous Maidens, but without youth, beauty, boldness, or brains going for her. So she'll never set the Thames on fire, but we learn to love her nevertheless as she wends her way through many trials and tribulatio...more
JA
I can't remember where I heard about this book, but I know I read a description of the scene where she kisses her image in the mirror.

The depiction of the society and attitudes of the time, including of course the author's own biases, is quite interesting. The journey of the title character was, to me (with my biases) a bit disappointing. At various points she toys with ideas that are broader and more free-thinking than her social milieu would dictate -- but then in the end, her happy ending is...more
An other confirmation that I prefer Trollope books with politics and the CofE rather than the soppy live stories that are predictable and end up with dirty old man marrying younger woman!
Kristy
Enjoyable but wow did it drag on. It read as if it was serialized and he decided that he needed four extra installments at the end. Otherwise it's hard to explain why it was necessary for the legal stuff to drag on for pages and pages after the obligatory bumps in the romance were introduced. It's a bit hard to love a book that is so steeped in sexist times and ideas about marriage but it was fun, and Trollope is so witty.
Gabi Coatsworth
I enjoy Trollope and the ironic eye he casts on the world. This novel concerns a young-ish woman ho is unexpectedly left some money, which changes her immediately from a spinster into a marriage prospect. Trollope uses his sense of humor to make serious points about the position of women and the effects of class in Victorian times, and although the novel has the traditional "happy ending" it is still readable today.
Vicky
Not Trollope's best, but still well worth reading. A "middle-aged" spinster (35!) inherits a fortune and is promptly courted by three men, of varying worth. As always, it is amazing how well Trollope understands women and sympathizes with their plights. The men, too, are wonderfully drawn, especially the despicable parson(s).
Kate
I think it's officially time to admit that I didn't finish it. I only remember it exists because it's one of two things on my "currently-reading" shelf. The stakes seemed too low, basically. I mean, it's not supposed to be one of his best books, by any means, and surprise surprise, it's not.
Judy
This is a refreshingly different Trollope novel, taking a middle-aged spinster as its heroine - although it does still turn out to have a love story involved. Also a must for Pallisers fans, as it was written around the same time and a few of the characters put in an appearance.
Ange
What could be more fun than a 35 year old lady that is just beginning life? Was surprised with cameo role a lady from another of his books played in this book. Very much of a fairy tale with the exception that the prince was 50 and not handsome. He is as good a man can be.
Aaron
Miss Mackenzie tells of a middle-aged woman's choice between three suitors. Trollope does a great job of portraying each character without resorting to stereotypes. It is much easier to follow than some of his longer and better known works.
David
This is simple Trollope. Short and without complicating subplots. A simple story of a middle-aged spinster and her attempts to find happiness, or at least a more exciting life, after she inherits some money.
Academama
This is a fun and fairly undemanding read--short, for Trollope, and excellent beach-type reading. (Or, in my case, excellent during-kids'-naps reading.)
Exploring Anthony...: Miss Mackenzie 1 1 Dec 17, 2013 10:14AM
  • My Lady Ludlow
  • The Doctor's Wife
  • The Law and the Lady
  • The Odd Women
  • A Murky Business (Penguin Classics)
  • Scenes of Clerical Life
  • The Awkward Age
  • The Antiquary
  • Pictures from Italy
  • The History Of Henry Esmond, Esq. (Clear Print)
  • Miss Marjoribanks
  • The History of Mr. Polly
  • Before Lunch
20524
Anthony Trollope became one of the most successful, prolific and respected English novelists of the Victorian era. Some of Trollope's best-loved works, known as the Chronicles of Barsetshire, revolve around the imaginary county of Barsetshire; he also wrote penetrating novels on political, social, and gender issues and conflicts of his day.

Trollope has always been a popular novelist. Noted fans ha...more
More about Anthony Trollope...
Barchester Towers (Barchester Chronicles #2) The Way We Live Now The Warden Phineas Finn (Palliser, #2) Can You Forgive Her? (Palliser, #1)