Start by marking “Five Views on Sanctification” as Want to Read:
Five Views on Sanctification

Five Views on Sanctification (Counterpoints)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Representatives of five major Protestant perspectives join in this book to present their views on sanctification.
Published April 19th 2011 by Zondervan (first published April 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Five Views on Sanctification, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Views on Sanctification

Marti Wade
As an editor myself, I have to say this book could use one. Practically no introduction and considerable evidence that the contributors were not on the same page as what they were to provide or who they represented - themselves? the Bible? a whole religious tradition? Moreover, most went out of their way to moderate their views and affirm one another's. This may show evidence of their own sanctification but it also weakened this work as an educational or persuasive book.

Note: It appears that so
Adam T Calvert
While I was not greatly impressed with a previous "Counterpoint Series" book I read (Five Views on Apologetics), this book was a great surprise and a welcomed read.

While there are "five" views, there are basically two main viewpoints: (1) continuity between OT and NT unless otherwise stated (first three articles); or (2) discontinuity between OT and NT unless otherwise repeated (last two articles).

The presentations were laid out as follows:

Non-Theonomic Reformed View - William A. VanGemeren
Theo
Philip
This book strikes at the heart of the continuity/discontinuity debate that still surges throughout evangelicalism today, because ones' decision on this issue is the key to the entire issue in the mind of this reviewer. Overall, I found the book a much needed book as non-evangelical positions in regard to the Law and Gospel are being formed and propounded heavily now. The occasion seems proper now for an understanding of the evangelical positions on the issue.

In the book, five overarching views a
Kessia Reyne
This book gave me a lot to think about, although I found no single system completely sound. I favor Walter Kaiser and his deep love for the Hebrew Bible, but I was stretched by all five essays and their accompanying responses.

What is missing?
1) An appreciation for the ways (in the text itself!) that the Decalogue is set apart as different from (ie., more foundational) than other laws in the Book of the Covenant or the entire Pentateuch;
2) the place of so-called Mosaic law in salvation history
Danny Bennett
Another great addition to the counterpoints series. The controversy centers around the question of continuity verses discontinuity between the law and gospel, the old covenant and the new covenant. The best writers were Kaiser and Strickland; although being the best writer or articulator doesn't necessarly make you right and I was able to track with Strickland a lot easier I think because I went to a dispensational school. I usually read counterpoint books when I have uncertainity about a biblic ...more
Chuck Bonadies
Great book on the relationship of Gospel versus Law. Like most of the books in the Counterpoint series, the strength of this work is the interaction that takes place between the authors.

Some consider the book to be dated since it was published before the so-called "Sanders Revolution" (New Perspective on Paul) really got off the ground. Therefore, although a few of the authors acknowledge "works of the law" as boundary markers, most don't even consider this a viable option. I, however, found it
Tim Woody
Overall this book was not what I was expecting. Out of the five views represented they only differ on a few distinct points. Where the authors diverge there inst enough dialogue, while the commonalities get a lot of pages. I felt from a reformed perspective that the representation given by Hoekema was solid but a more prolific writer should have been sought out. Out of the five views the representation of the Keswick position by McQuilkin was the most practical. Readability 2 out of 5 stars. Inf ...more
Andrew Mcneill
An interesting read although not remarkably helpful. The writers share more commonalities than differences and spend little time discussing those differences. Part of the reason why there are little differences is because they are all clearly theologically aware and careful in their exegesis. This of course means that you get the best arguments from each of the positions which is always a good thing. To be honest, I wouldn't really recommend it if you're wanting to learn more about sanctificatio ...more
Chris Armer
The issue of continuity or discontinuity between law and gospel is filled with great scholars on both sides. This book does a good job at presenting the reader with at least five of the major views and how they agree and disagree with one another. But I don't think the book alone will settle the issue for you. It is more of a springboard for further study.
G Walker
Not bad... not great... one of the few in this series worth hanging on to. Bahnsen and Kaiser are especially helpful. Again... short simple snapshots like the rest of the series... but still not bad. As with earlier books in this series, it deals with too narrow a spectrum of American Christianity - but still, the "general equity" of their arguments carries over into various contexts and the core drive behind their arguments is "universal"... so for that reason, I think this is still a good soli ...more
Sam
Good book. Read for theology of christian holiness with Dr. Chris Bounds. At times, the authors are frustratingly confusing or contradictory, but it was helpful to understand various views of sanctification. Interestingly, the Wesleyan-Holiness position is the only one to advocate entire sanctification as a second work of grace as a crisis experience by faith where God deals with our sinful nature. I wrote two essays from this book.
G Walker
Not bad... not great... Hoekema has some good insights... not his best work though... would have like to have seen them engage a broader range... dealings too much with "fundamentalist" and american categories... would have liked to have seen more historical models addressed, maybe even some broader global perspectives... but that would have required engaging Orthodoxy : ) and at that time of publishing it would have been unheard of.
Mike Grober
nothing easy about this read. however, the different views of the relationship between law and gospel helped me understand the issues surrounding this topic. this book was one more reminder of the complexities of many biblical positions and of the importance of careful study when attempting to frame a position.
Nathan
One of the best of the multi-views books I have seen. I would land somewhere between the Dispensationalist and Modified Lutheran views presented here, but all five positions are engagingly presented, and the interactions of the authors are insightful and too-the-point.
Pj Berner
Dieter on the Wesleyan View: "Entire Sanctification" - process-crisis-process; Wesley never argued for complete eradication of sin nature; simply argued for the doing away of our bent toward sin. (difference?)

Richard Cleary
This book would have been much better of there was a distinctly Messianic Jewish view. It was helpful overall to understand why people view that Law of Moses they way they do.
Miss Lily
Frankly, I don't understand why they wrote so much about this.. Because none of what they argue about the nit picky stuff affects one's salvation...
Rachel
Very helpful in discussing the differences 'entire sanctification' and 'progressive sanctification' as well as two natures in one man.
Jason
Highly recommended for anyone studying the relationship of the Christian to the Mosaic Law.
Kyle Scheele
Good discussion... but could have been better with an actual Lutheran contributor.
John Lawless
Good view from the Charismatic side
Karel
3.1A - Doctrine of Sanctification
Martin A Pitcher
Martin A Pitcher marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Daniel Harder
Daniel Harder marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Thakkar Karan
Thakkar Karan marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Brad N
Brad N marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Roger Welch
Roger Welch is currently reading it
Nov 21, 2014
  • Three Views on the Millennium and Beyond
  • Two Views on Women in Ministry
  • The Potter's Freedom: A Defense of the Reformation and the Rebuttal of Norman Geisler's Chosen But Free
  • Four Views on Hell
  • Are Miraculous Gifts for Today?: Four Views (Counterpoints Series)
  • Four Views on the Book of Revelation
  • The Christ of the Covenants
  • Summary of Christian Doctrine
  • The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, and Documented
  • Historical Theology: An Introduction to Christian Doctrine: A Companion to Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology
  • Believer's Baptism: Sign of the New Covenant in Christ
  • Redemption Accomplished and Applied
  • The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination
  • The Doctrine of God (A Theology of Lordship)
  • Beyond the Bounds: Open Theism and the Undermining of Biblical Christianity
  • The Meaning of the Millennium: Four Views
  • The Shadow of Christ in the Law of Moses
  • Willing to Believe: The Controversy Over Free Will
Five Views on Sanctification (Counterpoints: Bible and Theology) The Holiness Revival of the Nineteenth Century: 2nd Ed. The 19th Century Holiness Movement: Volume 4 God Is Enough Wesleyan Theological Perspectives: The Church (Volume Four)