Start by marking “Hurry! Hurry!” as Want to Read:
Hurry! Hurry!

Hurry! Hurry!

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  347 ratings  ·  76 reviews
Rooster is spreading the word: Hurry! Hurry! All the animals rush to the barn--and arrive just in time to greet the tiniest member of the farm family, hatching out of his egg.Eve Bunting's simple energetic text and Jeff Mack's colorful art come together in a joyful book that's perfect for preschoolers. ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Hurry! Hurry!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hurry! Hurry!

The Worst Best Friend by Alexis O'NeillFire Drill by Paul DuBois JacobsFirefighters! by Patricia HubbellThe Feel Good Book by Todd ParrClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen Cronin
Preschool-'F'
14th out of 15 books — 1 voter
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Flowers for Grandmother by Kendahl Brooke Youngs
Best Books for Two-Year-Olds
34th out of 33 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Camille Ryckman
Brief summary It is a big day on the farm as the hen runs around the farm encouraging animals to "hurry, hurry"
Annotation This book uses minimal text in repeating words and short phrases like "hurry hurry" to push along the story. The pictures help tell the story.
Age appropriateness 0-4 years old
Connection to six early literacy skillsThis helps build print motivation. It is simple and has great pictures that express the minimal text.
Five practices - Reading to show the importance of how a few w
Kelli
Simple text for toddlers, building excitement, graphic and colorful. Delights toddlers.
Nicole Prescott
This is an adorable and simple pattern picture book for children. The story begins with a rooster summoning the rest of the barn animals to be quickly get ready for some unknown event by yelling “Hurry! Hurry!”. A variety of barn animals including sheep, pigs, dogs, ducks, and cows, all gather, run, and help each other get to the barn as quickly as possible. Once they arrive to the barn they all listen to the rooster’s egg hatch and then “Welcome! Welcome!” the new baby chick. Each page repeats ...more
Heidi
Great illustrations. No matter how I tried, I couldn't quite read this one to fully engage the children. It was hard to point out the small animal in the background of one page which would be the focus on the next. And I asked some questions, but they didn't seem to work. But the pictures were interesting to them, and I think they liked the end.

5/1/14 Subbed in Toddler Time, so I did a Farm Animals theme. This was my opener. Small group, but they seemed to like it. By the 2nd page, I remembered
Angela Hutchinson
In this book, the rooster calls out to HURRY! HURRY! to meet the farms newest arrival. This would be a good book to read in the Spring and teaching students about how Spring brings new life. There are not many words in this book, so it would be a great book for a beginning reader. The reader could use the picture to make-up their own story, as well.
Marissa Garcia
The anticipation of a long awaited hatching is vibrantly expressed in this bright, clever little book. Animals pass the word along to each other throughout the farm, urging each other to get over to the barn. They are met with a wonderful moment. They get to witness the tapping of a baby chick’s arrival, and the whole farm family welcomes the little one in joy.

This book communicates its story in very sparse language, allowing the illustrations and typography to express much of the excitement. An
MrsMaryLibrary
Simple alliterative text, building in suspense, excellent for dialogic reading (What do you think will happen next? Why do they say they can't? Are these words the same or different? How long do you think they had to wait for the egg to hatch?) etc. It was a hit! One PreK class even begged me to read it again!
Susan Wright
LeeAnn
A simple tale of welcoming the newest member in the barnyard, but the limited text and illustrations lush with texture make all the difference. Another Bunting book to savor.
Kim
Big bright pictures and repetitive text. Can't imagine this being a child's favorite--not a whole lot happens here.
Heather
My 3 year old loved this book, especially the last few pages. The illustrations are so fun and colorful.
A rooster bursts onto the first double spread urging the other barnyard creatures to "Hurry, Hurry!" What's all the fuss about? Everyone is gathering to welcome the farm's newest arrival.

Jeff Mack's illustrations have soft edges and pastel colors that make his animals warm and inviting and downright adorable. An extremely simple text can be dressed up a little bit with the appropriate noises to match each animal - better yet, ask your audience to make the noises. This would also be great for a b
Bambini Travel
The animals on the farm all "Hurry! Hurry!" to the barn from all corners of the farm in this quick paced read aloud. When they all gather around the chicken in the barn, the readers are as curious as the animals to find out what is so urgent. The crowd hushes as a little egg starts to hatch and a baby chick is welcomed to the world. Eve Bunting is a master with engaging a young audience with brief, intriguing words. The pictures are soft and inviting. A celebration of farm animals and the antici ...more
Dawn
super cute!
PWRL
Jun 06, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
Aimee
Beautiful illustrations. Perfect, simple read for my 3 year old. Good for my four year old too, who reads it independently and with great voices!
Alicia Scully
It's a big day at the farm and the hen is trying to rush everyone together. The book shows various animals making their way to the mysterious event while giving the continuous format of repeated words on each page. Young or early readers will appreciate this and will be able to help read it very soon after initially hearing it but there isn't really much else to go on. Children may learn some new words and the illustrations are wonderfully done with colored pencil but readers may tire of this ea ...more
Candice
Dec 16, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie, Oliver
Shelves: picture-books
This didn't translate well to an e-book. The pictures were separated from the text and it was confusing to read. I might have given it 5 stars if I had read it in print, however, because it is a good story and colorfullly and beautifully illustrated. Rooster wants all the other farm animals to "hurry, hurry" to see the chick hatch from its egg. Each animal prods its young to "hurry, hurry" to the barn to see the big event. The text is simple and the illustrations colorful and appealing.
Jeff
This book has the simplist of texts, but the story is told in the anticipation of the images and the excitement language which includes how the words are displayed on the page. Each page has the same word or short phrase repeated twice, as all of the barnyard animals respond to the chicken's call to "Hurry, Hurry." And the ruckus on the farm is worth it to see that they are all hurrying to the barn to see chick hatch from her egg. A great story, and one of Morgan's favorites!
Sarina Daul
Definitely really simple with the text and focuses more on the drawings.
Tam
Kelly Cooke
iris and i go to the library for story time for babies every tuesday. whenever emily the librarian reads this book, i purposely don't pay attention because if i do, i completely tear up at the end when the baby chick hatches from her egg and yells, "i'm here! i'm here!" it's kind of embarrassing. but not bad for a book that literally only has about twelve words in it.
Cassaundra Aunna
I found the book very entertaining for younger children. It is easy to read, and not a lot of words, so it is great for a two year old who can't stay focused on one thing for too long. The story was cute, and my kids loved it. It's only a great book if your kids enjoy it, and my kids did more than enjoy it, they LOVED it.
Katy Houseman
All the farm animals are in a hurry. but for what? Young children will love the anticipation they will encounter as they have to wait to find out why everyone is in such a hurry. This book is great for predicting and perfect for emergent readers. The story is told using very few words with the help of amazing illustrations.
Linda
This is very good for toddlers two and below. I liked the illustrations and how one little detail is there to link the next page to the previous, but my daughter LOVED the book. It's one of the few that she could focus on from the first to the last page, and still keep turning in her hands after the read.
Mallory Hall
My daughter laughs though this entire book. Adorable story that can be "read' through the pictures. The limited words still allow the reader to infuse different emotions (excitement, anticipation, anxiety). Also, farm animals are always a favorite with the toddlers.
jacky
This was William's favorite book for quite a while when he was two. He loved the animals, and especially loved the hatching egg at the end. I love that you can see the next animal in each illustration and how it conveys a story with very few words.
Rakisha
An adorable story about a farm's anticipation of the arrival of a baby chick. The illustrations are bright and the words are very spare. Perfect for reading with infants and young toddlers. A very nice gift book to place in a newborn's treasure chest.
Jennifer Heise
Adorable farmyard illustrations, simple repetitive text... my four year old enjoyed it but I think the target audience is two or three years old. I think this would also be great for introducing an addition to the child's larger family or friends circle.
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • Five Little Chicks
  • Click, Clack, Peep!
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • What Shall We Do With The Boo Hoo Baby?
  • This Little Chick
  • All of Baby, Nose to Toes
  • Hungry Hen
  • Chicken, Chicken, Duck!
  • Say What?
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • Hello, Day!
  • Worms for Lunch?
19126
Also known as Evelyn Bolton and A.E. Bunting.

Anne Evelyn Bunting, better known as Eve Bunting, is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “The
More about Eve Bunting...
Smoky Night Fly Away Home The Wall Scary, Scary Halloween Flower Garden