The Littlest Angel

The Littlest Angel

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  3,853 ratings  ·  124 reviews
This book is suitable for ages toddler & upwards. Children will sympathise with this homesick four-year-old boy, who only recently came to heaven and now finds himself out of sorts in the heavenly realm. Young readers will enjoy discovering the precious gift the little angel offers to the Christ Child and will learn the important of sharing what they have with others....more
Published September 1st 2001 by Ideals Children's Books (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Littlest Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Littlest Angel

How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Favorite Christmas Books
38th out of 622 books — 807 voters
The Last Battle by C.S. LewisThe Worst Hard Time by Timothy EganThe Biggest, Meanest, Ugliest Dog in the Whole Wide World by Rebecca C. JonesThe Bluest Eye by Toni MorrisonThe Coldest Winter by David Halberstam
The [Superlative] [Noun]
9th out of 254 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Jen
Dec 22, 2012 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
This is my single most favorite story for Christmastime. (I just now realized I have a 1947 copy published by Ideals Publishing Corporation.) The story is very vivid and detailed. The sentiments are so universal to anyone who, at any age, pondered why anyone would look forward to Heaven when it sounded so dull and Earth was so much more interesting. Clearly, the lesson about the gift of the Littlest Angel is also timeless.

I just read it tonight to my son and it occurs to me that this book is a c...more
Cory Howell
When I was a child, I loved this book. It's always been a favorite of my mother and grandmother. In fact, my grandmother just gave my daughter her copy of the book, which had been given to her by my late aunt. So I wanted to like this book when I read it to my daughter today. However...

The theology of this book could not be more flawed. It perpetuates the old folk theology of angels being human beings who died and went to heaven, and idea completely at odds with the Biblical picture of angels. F...more
Kathryn
I love this story! I was, however, not a fan of the illustrations. They just didn't seem to fit my imagination's view of the tale although others will probably feel differently. Still, this is a beautiful tale not to be missed! :-)
Patrick
In some circles, this book is regarded as a Christmas Classic. From where I sit, however, George Bailey's nemesis Mr. Potter would have been right to lump this story with the motivations for the Bailey Building and Loan as "sentimental hogwash."

Tazewell has good things to say about gift-giving, and few children are likely to be offended by an angel who seems so much like one of them, but therein lies one big problem with the book: it pushes the unfortunate and unscriptural idea that angels are o...more
Josiah
The writing of Charles Tazewell is very strong, and flows in a pleasing rhythm throughout the entire book. Additionally, the illustrations of Sergio Leone fit the story perfectly and with rare beauty.
What I take from this classic story most of all is not just that one can present oneself to Jesus without shame, despite one's own imperfections and simplicity and ordinary facade, but that the sacrifices and love and hopes and dreams and feelings of the very small and young matter greatly, and s...more
Cindi
The story was all at once too old for young children and too young for adults. There was something about the illustrations I didn't particularly care for, but it's hard for me to put my finger on what. The part about the little boy's wooden box of treasures that he presents for the Christ child was the only part of the book that I really enjoyed.

But, to be fair, I read three stories to one of my daughters tonight (this being one of them). She chose this story as her favorite.
Heidi
This is an adorable Christmas story about a little child angel who is always getting into trouble, but who gives what he prizes most in the world to the Christ child. He is then ebarassed to have given something that most people would find useless and offensive. But, his gift is the one that is accepted and is used to create the star to lead others to the babe in Bethlehem. So sweet.
Autumn Doughton
Jun 25, 2008 Autumn Doughton rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
This is one of my favorite children's books of all time. I cry every time I read it! The illustrations are beautiful and the whole story is lovely and moving. I look forward to the day when my own daughters are old enough to appreciate this book.
Elizabeth
Beautiful and charming. I can see why it's a classic!
Caitlin
This story begins at the gates of heaven. The Littlest Angel was only “four years, six months, five days, seven hours, ad forty-two minutes of age” when he reached heaven and instantly caused disruption by making the gatekeeper blotch the page in the great book. The Littlest Angel continues to disturb heaven with his behavior. Plus, he could not fly, or arrive on time, or sing, and his halo was always crooked. When the day comes for him to be disciplined he meets the Understanding Angel who soa...more
Brianna
'The Littlest Angel', written by Charles Tazewell and illustrated by Sergio Leone, tells of a "nuisance" of an angel who rather unpopular in the celestial city, a.k.a Heaven. This fictional children's book with its interesting (for lack of better words) illustrations teaches its young readers about the gift of giving. The illustrations do indeed match the text of the book and can capture children's attention. The story is indeed interesting and could promote discussion among students in a classr...more
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 1/27/13 -

Two stars is generous in my opinion. We almost didn't finish it. I *think* we've read a Tazewell or two in the past that we did like and we have The Littlest Tree to try tonight. I offered Julia the idea to pass on it since we didn't like this very much but she said she'd still like to give it a shot.
This is overdone IMO. I like the story - a lot even - but it's just overdone. That's the word that comes to mind when I think of it.
Julia is just over 7 years old and s...more
Pamela
Sweet inspirational story and absolutely gorgeous artwork. When my children were young I would buy a story each Christmas season to be read on Christmas eve . . . and The Littlest Angel was one of their all time favorites, and remains so to this day. My youngest daughter, Jackie, has our original shared copy.
Joanne G.
I can't remember anything about this book except that when I'd read it to my children, I'd invariably get choked up--every time. So, I stopped reading it to them!
Kaethe
We had this when I was a kid, but I never loved it. I much preferred the one about the snowman who becomes ice cream or A Christmas Carol.
White
This book is a real eye opener about priorities, meanings, and memories. The endearing little cherub, after dying and going to heaven, comes upon some learning experiences that even adults could benefit from. As a matter of fact, I consider this book an adult book because it is not the children who have to learn what's inside of it. It is the adults who have lost touch of life's moments and gifts.

I believe that the author knows this, which is why the vocabulary he uses is difficult and advanced;...more
Robyn
My copy published 1962 by Children's Press.

I don't know when my folks bought this book, it was in our box of Christmas books throughout my memory. When my mom was clearing out space in her storage, she gave this one to me. I've not reread it as an adult, but I do remember the story and how sweet it is.
Beth Hollmann
This is another one of my favorite Christmas books. It makes me cry every time. This sweet little boy has passed away on earth and is now an angel, and is having a hard time doing all the things angels are supposed to do - he would much rather run and play. Finally he is allowed to go back and retrieve a box of special mementos from his home on earth. As Christ is about to leave heaven and be born on earth, the angels begin to present him with gifts, and the one that is chosen as His favorite is...more
Christina
I still remember when my father brought this book home for me. It had been an early Christmas present in 1996. I had my father read it to me many times that year. I remember being so captivated by the story and the illustrations.

I will always love this book, and it will always make me think of my father. I'm hoping someday soon, my father can read it to my children.
Sally
I think it is safe to say that this was my mom's favorite Christmas story. She would read it aloud to us every year at Christmas time. When Peter (her first grandson) was five years old, he was selected to play the role of the littlest angel in a church Christmas production. He was so cute (I even have the blackmail video to prove it)! This story will always have a special place in my heart with memories of my mom and my freckle-faced, redhead son.
Susan
Loved this book when I was a child. Such great memories associated with it.
Pat
I grew up with this book. I found a copy for my children. My husband would read it on Christmas Eve.
It sits out on the table every Christmas. A beautifully written story about a little boy who goes to heaven and becomes the littlest angel. He wants to give Jesus a gift from his heart. A little boy's heart. But the problem is; the gift is in his home. How does he get the gift?
Amy
This book has sentimental value for me. This was the book that my grandfather read to us every Christmas growing up. I can hardly read through it without crying because I miss him.

It's not strictly Biblical, but it's one of the best stories about celebrating the birth of Christ. I gave a copy to my kids this year and I hope to start the tradition of reading it to them.
Kenna
I have a difficult time getting through this book. To this date, I have not done so without crying.

A beautiful book that shows you are beautiful and that you are loved no matter what. Everyone has something of value to offer, you only have to find it. We shouldnt be so quick to judge others.

I hope pray that I never get through this book without crying.
Alison
Great book for building vocabulary, a variety of vocabulary is used throughout this book. I enjoyed the plot of this book, and the illustrations are great. Diverse characters throughout the book also make it a great read. Although due to religion in the classroom this book is not appropriate for a classroom setting, but is recommended for a household read.
Brenda Qualls
Although this book is geared toward younger readers, some of the words used are too big for many children. (I think it's more enjoyable for everybody if an adult reads it to children. If the children have questions about certain words, the adult can explain the meanings.) Very uplifting and heart- warming. Perfect bedtime story at Christmastime!
Christineagordon2000
Although I prefer the illustrations from the earlier edition, this book is a childhood favorite of mine. I absolutely cannot get through it without choking up. It is about the innocence of children, and sacrificial giving. The length of the book and the complexity of the language are most appropriate for ages 4+, I think.
Marita
I am not a big fan of this storyline, BUT I love the pictures! Granny gave this to my son ARI 1992 for his 4th Christmas and the Artist's 4yr old son ARI modeled for his dad... and MY Ari had a sandy blond hair like this one and was a VERY busy boy! so I have lots of personal memories attached to this classic tale.
Kylene
I love this book. My family always read this together every Christmas Eve. My mom used to bawl her way through it every year. It wasn't until I was a bit older that I understood why. Now that I'm married and we're starting our own Christmas traditions, I started reading this book...and bawling my way through it.
  • The Little Drummer Boy
  • Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale
  • The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree: An Appalachian Story
  • How Santa Got His Job
  • I Believe in Santa Claus
  • The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey [With Wooden Ornament from the Story and CD]
  • Christmas Day in the Morning
  • The Tale of Three Trees
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • Santa's Toy Shop (Little Golden Book)
  • The Nutcracker
Littlest Snowman The Littlest Tree The Littlest Angel ; And, The Bells Of Christmas The Littlest Uninvited One The Littlest Red Horse