Start by marking “The Reluctant Miss Van Helsing” as Want to Read:
The Reluctant Miss Van Helsing

The Reluctant Miss Van Helsing

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  283 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Having lived long amongst London's ton, Ethel Jane Van Helsing is an astute female who well knows her faults. She has a face unremarkable in its plainness. And yet.at a masquerade ball, anything can happen. There, even an ugly duckling can become a swan.

But tonight is not for fowl play. You see, plain or not, Jane comes from distinguished stock: Van Helsings. And Van Hels

Mass Market Paperback, 342 pages
Published January 3rd 2006 by Love Spell

To ask other readers questions about The Reluctant Miss Van Helsing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reluctant Miss Van Helsing

Marsha
Jul 13, 2014 Marsha rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nobody, not even a Twilight fan
I can’t stand this book. I’m barely into it and I want to fling it at a wall. Besides being burdened with the treadworn plot of vampires and vampire slayers, the heroine is a plain-Jane (that’s actually her name) milksop of a heroine.

She’s bumbling, clumsy and ineffectual at the family profession. She’s been ordered to destroy three vampires and failed miserably at each attempt. The first time, she stabbed a pillow instead of the heart (because she lost her nerve and closed her eyes before stri
Heather Adkins
I wanted to like this book. The plot was cute, the heroine spunky, and the writing okay...but it was, in a word, corny. And not the good kind of corny. At times it reads like a great historical romance with the flowery language often ridiculed by the general public but it's almost too much flower, giving the dialogue a farcical air. Amidst the flowery romance and historical setting, what really turned me off was the author's overuse of modern sayings. She would take well known musical lyrics or ...more
Sherry Wilson
A hilarious book with many fun characters. The author is an expert with puns. You could say this is Buffy the vampire slayer in early Victorian England. A Buffy who has an aversion to blood no less. I will be reading this one again in the future.
Karen
I read this several years ago and forgot all about it until recently. The humor in this story was sort of on the corny side, but it was a decent story, particularly if you don't mind obvious endings. I've read it several times, usually when I'm looking for a fast, easy, fun read. I've never read any of the other books by this author, but I would like to at least read "The Remarkable Miss Frankenstein", as she is the best friend of the main character in this story. This story was left open for a ...more
Kirsten Kowalewski
jane's travails are pretty darn funny, the daughter of vampire slayers who's so incompetent that she fails, usually in a spectacular, embarrasing, and comic fashion. Minda Webber is fond of puns and quotes, but they're sort of a mishmash so if you want an authentic historical vampire story, you won't want to try this. But she is still witty....enough so that I finished reading the book. Unfortunately the book's hero, if you can call him that, is a complete jackass. It's completely baffling that ...more
Fathom
May 12, 2012 Fathom added it
I loved this story. Not because it was well written but because of the comedic story of Vampire and slayer. Here is a girl who hates being a Van Helsing to the very core of her being. She wants to be a lady while her family wants her rolling around in the mud, graveyard surveillance, and staking anything that might be a vampire. Her best friend Mrs. Frankenstein gives a ball where a shot gun wedding is the end result. Little do the van Helsings realize she is now married to the very being they a ...more
Quita
I must say that I was incredibly disappointed by this book. The simple fact is that the heroine is a poor excuse of a character. She annoyed me almost immediately upon reading the book, however I attempted to continue reading but just could not stand how very weak-willed and ditzy she was. The author even tried to give her a frank personality, but she simply did not give off the strong character build that was attempted. Even the hero annoyed me, seeing as he is supposed to be a powerful vampire ...more
Andrea
This book had so much potential! Vampire slayer meets vampire plus regency England. It's a formula for success. However, this book missed the mark. It was definitely supposed to be funny and cute. But it wasn't. Mostly because the book simply tried too hard to be funny and cute. There were way too many modern references and puns/plays on words or phrases. It was TOO much. I think I counted at least 5 different modernism turned regencyism in one paragraph. TOO much.
Jody
Not as good as Miss Frankenstein's story but I did so enjoy getting to find out what happened to Jane. Never would have thought Asher would show back up. I was so said for Jane, dealing first with her dad's crap and then ending up her husband treating her the same way in the beginning. But of course it HAD to end well. Just curious what happens next!
Eliza
It's a fast read. I skimmed through a great deal of it, something I rarely do. The plot didn't interest me enough to get past the plays on words. The constant word play. Word play that goes on constantly.
Heather
Jane Van Helsing hates blood, dirt and hurting people. Too bad her family sets her out to stake the one man she's attracted to. Hilarious moments lead her to a marriage and maybe more.
Linda
Apr 19, 2011 Linda rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: funny
Meh, it had potential. The author is funny and quick but I prefer witty dialogue and a good story over descriptions of sexual encounters. It just needed 'more'.
Lydia
This should have benn a much higher rating, because I liked a lot of things about the book. However, the twentieth century quotes by the dozen did my head in.
Danae
Jan 30, 2008 Danae added it
I just couldn't get into it. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get it. Hopefully someone can.
Shiela Clarisse
Asher and jane was a good couple.. they always like to say humbug. it's pretty cool.
Rowena
Well, what I can say, I'm a sucker for vampires--especially if they are satirical!
Elaine
This book was punny If you enjoy plays on words this is the one for you :)
Sylvia
A funny and quick read. I enjoyed it's silliness.
Melanie
A fun read--The whole series has you laughing.
LeeAnn G
Humor done write with strange beings.
Ladyhawke1990
I almost died laughing
Edward Cashley
I love it it so good
Sierra
Sierra marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Susan Quirus
Susan Quirus marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Ceci Long
Ceci Long marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
  • Just One Sip (Dark Ones, #4.5)
  • Touch of Madness (Thrall #2)
  • Keep Me Forever (Forever Vampires #4)
  • Completely Smitten (Fates #3)
  • Dragons Prefer Blondes (Caruthers Sisters #2)
  • Moonglow
  • Lord of the Night (Night Slayer, #4)
  • A Fiend In Need
  • Crimson Rogue (Crimson City, #6)
  • Eternal Prey (Gods of the Night, #3)
  • Scarlet (Dead World, #2)
  • The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes
  • A Darker Crimson (Crimson City, #4)
  • Hot Dish
  • Rises The Night (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Victoria, #2)
  • How to Lose an Extraterrestrial in 10 Days (Otherworldly Men, #3)
The Remarkable Miss Frankenstein The Daughters Grimm The Reinvented Miss Bluebeard Bustin' Dating Dracula, Jr.