Start by marking “The Reluctant Miss Van Helsing” as Want to Read:
The Reluctant Miss Van Helsing

The Reluctant Miss Van Helsing

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  313 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Having lived long amongst London's ton, Ethel Jane Van Helsing is an astute female who well knows her faults. She has a face unremarkable in its plainness. And yet - at a masquerade ball, anything can happen. There, even an ugly duckling can become a swan!
Published February 1st 2006 by Love Spell (first published January 3rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Reluctant Miss Van Helsing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reluctant Miss Van Helsing

Marsha
Jul 13, 2014 Marsha rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody, not even a Twilight fan
I can’t stand this book. I’m barely into it and I want to fling it at a wall. Besides being burdened with the treadworn plot of vampires and vampire slayers, the heroine is a plain-Jane (that’s actually her name) milksop of a heroine.

She’s bumbling, clumsy and ineffectual at the family profession. She’s been ordered to destroy three vampires and failed miserably at each attempt. The first time, she stabbed a pillow instead of the heart (because she lost her nerve and closed her eyes before stri
Heather Adkins
Nov 04, 2010 Heather Adkins rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book. The plot was cute, the heroine spunky, and the writing okay...but it was, in a word, corny. And not the good kind of corny. At times it reads like a great historical romance with the flowery language often ridiculed by the general public but it's almost too much flower, giving the dialogue a farcical air. Amidst the flowery romance and historical setting, what really turned me off was the author's overuse of modern sayings. She would take well known musical lyrics or ...more
Sherry Wilson
Sep 13, 2014 Sherry Wilson rated it it was amazing
A hilarious book with many fun characters. The author is an expert with puns. You could say this is Buffy the vampire slayer in early Victorian England. A Buffy who has an aversion to blood no less. I will be reading this one again in the future.
Karen
Aug 10, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
I read this several years ago and forgot all about it until recently. The humor in this story was sort of on the corny side, but it was a decent story, particularly if you don't mind obvious endings. I've read it several times, usually when I'm looking for a fast, easy, fun read. I've never read any of the other books by this author, but I would like to at least read "The Remarkable Miss Frankenstein", as she is the best friend of the main character in this story. This story was left open for a ...more
Kirsten Kowalewski
jane's travails are pretty darn funny, the daughter of vampire slayers who's so incompetent that she fails, usually in a spectacular, embarrasing, and comic fashion. Minda Webber is fond of puns and quotes, but they're sort of a mishmash so if you want an authentic historical vampire story, you won't want to try this. But she is still witty....enough so that I finished reading the book. Unfortunately the book's hero, if you can call him that, is a complete jackass. It's completely baffling that ...more
Fathom
May 12, 2012 Fathom added it
I loved this story. Not because it was well written but because of the comedic story of Vampire and slayer. Here is a girl who hates being a Van Helsing to the very core of her being. She wants to be a lady while her family wants her rolling around in the mud, graveyard surveillance, and staking anything that might be a vampire. Her best friend Mrs. Frankenstein gives a ball where a shot gun wedding is the end result. Little do the van Helsings realize she is now married to the very being they a ...more
Quita
Jan 04, 2013 Quita rated it did not like it
Shelves: vampires
I must say that I was incredibly disappointed by this book. The simple fact is that the heroine is a poor excuse of a character. She annoyed me almost immediately upon reading the book, however I attempted to continue reading but just could not stand how very weak-willed and ditzy she was. The author even tried to give her a frank personality, but she simply did not give off the strong character build that was attempted. Even the hero annoyed me, seeing as he is supposed to be a powerful vampire ...more
Andrea
Aug 05, 2013 Andrea rated it did not like it
Shelves: hated
This book had so much potential! Vampire slayer meets vampire plus regency England. It's a formula for success. However, this book missed the mark. It was definitely supposed to be funny and cute. But it wasn't. Mostly because the book simply tried too hard to be funny and cute. There were way too many modern references and puns/plays on words or phrases. It was TOO much. I think I counted at least 5 different modernism turned regencyism in one paragraph. TOO much.
Jody
Sep 03, 2011 Jody rated it liked it
Shelves: donated
Not as good as Miss Frankenstein's story but I did so enjoy getting to find out what happened to Jane. Never would have thought Asher would show back up. I was so said for Jane, dealing first with her dad's crap and then ending up her husband treating her the same way in the beginning. But of course it HAD to end well. Just curious what happens next!
Eliza
Aug 11, 2008 Eliza rated it liked it
It's a fast read. I skimmed through a great deal of it, something I rarely do. The plot didn't interest me enough to get past the plays on words. The constant word play. Word play that goes on constantly.
Heather
Sep 12, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
Jane Van Helsing hates blood, dirt and hurting people. Too bad her family sets her out to stake the one man she's attracted to. Hilarious moments lead her to a marriage and maybe more.
Linda
Apr 19, 2011 Linda rated it it was ok
Shelves: funny
Meh, it had potential. The author is funny and quick but I prefer witty dialogue and a good story over descriptions of sexual encounters. It just needed 'more'.
Lydia
Mar 17, 2013 Lydia rated it it was ok
This should have benn a much higher rating, because I liked a lot of things about the book. However, the twentieth century quotes by the dozen did my head in.
Danae
Jan 30, 2008 Danae added it
I just couldn't get into it. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get it. Hopefully someone can.
Shiela Clarisse
Dec 22, 2010 Shiela Clarisse rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Asher and jane was a good couple.. they always like to say humbug. it's pretty cool.
Rowena
Well, what I can say, I'm a sucker for vampires--especially if they are satirical!
Elaine
May 03, 2011 Elaine rated it really liked it
This book was punny If you enjoy plays on words this is the one for you :)
Sylvia
A funny and quick read. I enjoyed it's silliness.
Melanie
Jul 03, 2009 Melanie rated it really liked it
A fun read--The whole series has you laughing.
LeeAnn G
Jan 08, 2011 LeeAnn G rated it really liked it
Humor done write with strange beings.
Ladyhawke1990
Sandra
Sandra added it
Feb 04, 2016
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Erin
Erin added it
Jan 24, 2016
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Laranna Knight
Laranna Knight rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
  • Just One Sip (Dark Ones #4.5)
  • Kiss Me Forever / Love Me Forever (Forever Vampires #1-2)
  • Completely Smitten (Fates #3)
  • Scarlet (Dead World, #2)
  • Moonglow
  • Lord of the Night (Night Slayer, #4)
  • A Fiend In Need
  • Crimson Rogue (Crimson City, #6)
  • Dragons Prefer Blondes (Caruthers Sisters #2)
  • Hot Dish
  • Touch of Madness (Thrall #2)
  • Witches Be Burned (Magic & Mayhem, #2)
  • La Vida Vampire (Oldest City Vampire, #1)
  • Down With The Tunes (Who Needs Christmas? #5)
  • Rolling Thunder (The Truth Chasers Series #1)
  • Twilight Fall (Darkyn #6)
  • Seduced by Crimson (Crimson City, #5)