The Fifteen Streets: A Novel

The Fifteen Streets: A Novel

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  613 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Catherine Cookson was one of the world's most beloved writers. Her books have sold millions of copies, and her characters and their stories have captured the imaginations of readers around the globe. Now, available for the first time in this country, comes one of Cookson's earliest and most stirring historical romances: The Fifteen Streets.

John O'Brien lives in a world whe...more
Published April 12th 2011 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about The Fifteen Streets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fifteen Streets

Dagny
Marvelous. It's been entirely too long since I read one of Cookson's book. This is one of her early ones portraying the dire poverty and struggle of many in Tyneside, England. The storyline was gripping and I read almost straight through the last half without a break.
Rhapsody
This was my first read by Catherine Cookson, but I've watched almost all of the miniseries based on her novels, including the Fifteen Streets miniseries. I thought this book was pretty good and more or less what I expected. The story takes place in England, maybe 100 years ago or so. John is a young man from a very poor family who falls in love with Mary, a modern-minded young woman from a wealthy family. The class difference provides a big conflict, not to mention his very difficult family situ...more
Julia
I recently discovered Catherine Cookson's prolific works. Last week I read The Dwelling Place (1971) and I LOVED it. I did not like The Fifteen Streets (1952) nearly as well. I'm not sure if I did myself a disservice by picking one up at random to read and then trying to go back. (On the other hand, if I read this one first, it might have been the first AND last of Cookson's books I attempted to read, so who knows.) It might be unfair to compare these two works, but I can't help it. The Dwelling...more
KA N Newton
My most favourite Catherine Cookson book - the Kindle Edition has a different cover. Plain purple with the head and shoulders of Catherine Cookson pictured on it.

Poor mean streets nicknamed "The Fifteen Streets".

A family with two older sons - one good and one a baddie with a sick father and a mother who was the centre of the family and younger siblings.

The goodie falls in love with the school teacher (daughter of a wealthy man) of his younger sister. The baddie chasing everything in skirts.

The g...more
Tara Chevrestt
I have read a good twenty Cookson books at this point and all except one have warranted at least three stars till now. I had a hard time with this one. The subject matter did not really interest me as much as Cookson's usual choices. Besides being about a very poor, struggling family on Fifteen Streets, it focuses on the late 1800s/ early 1900s religious tensions between Catholics and Pentecostals.

It has the usual dramatic twists that Cookson is famed for, but in this case they were predictable...more
Lizzy Attwood
I have to admit i saw the film whilst on holiday, and i loved it! So there was no doubt in my mind i would love the book! And i did it had me in tears even though i knew what was going to happen. It's alot darker than the film and i think that makes the ending more triumphant. The characters are described in perfect detail that you really can picture them. It is a little far fetched and in the reality of things i doubt that the ending would be so merry, but i love this book and the story is as o...more
Lorrie
Catherine Cookson is one of my favorite authors, and I've enjoyed most of her books. I think this was one of her early works before she became a popular author. It was difficult to read. She assumed that her readers would know some of the words she used, but I haven't even heard them. The ending begged for a sequel, but I hope she resisted the urge to follow this drama. Thank goodness she began to write well enough to be a favorite for so many people.
Rezeda
This is the third book of Cookson that I've read, and already it seems repetitive. I know, that this book was the first, but, unfortunately, Cookson used the same types and devices in later books in the same manner.
Main character and his mother were almost repeated in
in "The Menagerie", and "good priest, bad priest" pair seemed just too familiar after reading "The Maltese Angel".
Probably, if I read this book first, I would like it better.
Ginger
Don't waste your time with this depressing book. Nothing good happens in it. Oh I'm sure you can find deeper meaning in the family who is wealthy and moves into the district to help the people and I agree that that is the epitome of Christian living, other than that, nothing worth wasting your time on if you like to read for a lovely escape. If you like depressing books, go for it! You should love this one.

C
Read this upon recommendation. It was a little hard to get into because of the dialect of the speakers. Set in Ireland, it's the story of a family living in a poor area. Quick read, but the ending wasn't clean and left me a little disappointed. The cover, by the way, is not an accurate portrayal of the book (if that sways you one way or the other).
Rebekah
Cookson's tone is a little moralistic for me (think Louisa May Alcott) but you can always count on her for a happy ending where the good guy totally wins. This is one of my favorites of her books--I liked the protagonist couple that much. Also, you can find a lot of her stories in made-for-TV movies of varying levels of quality, so sometimes that's fun.
Ashley
It's a pretty depressing book. Yes everyone else raves about the struggle for survival for lower classes but I'm more superficial. I don't enjoy books anymore that are so negative usually. At least the ending turned out ok. I'd rate it 3.5 if there were half stars. It took me a while to get into it though.
Nellie Reeves
One of the very first books I ever read and one I have read many times. Such a wonderful story from such a wonderful storyteller. I always thought Catherine Cookson was a female version of Charles Dickens, of the few books of hers that I have read. I loved this tale and was so thrilled to see the happy ending.
Lili
I read all of Catherine Cookson's books some years ago and enjoyed them immensley. I recently re-read all of them and find that on a second look I found them all so very predictable, and was rather disappointed. However I'm sure that it is my tastes that have changed not the calibre of her story telling.
Susan
As in most of Cookson's books she writes with strong female characters overcoming some miserable circumstance or misfortune. I also love the English accents given her characters. If you like books set in old England and well developed characters, you will enjoy books by Catherine Cookson!
I discovered Catherine Cookson through a fellow Jane Austin loving friend. Cookson writes about a much different class of people with some serious hardships. I am captivated by her characters and plot lines. I will definitely read more of her books.
Barbra
Life in the Fifteen Streets was tough - a continuous struggle for survival. Some families gave up and descended into a dismal state of constant poverty. Others, like the O'Briens, fought grimly for a world they were only rarely allowed to glimpse.
Pauline
I love this book. My favourite Catherine Cookson book by far. I love the characters, the story telling and how the hardship and reality of life back then cames out of the pages. A fantastic book.
Geri
I have read most of Catherin Cookson's writings and am always captivated by the story and by the characters. She is one of my all-time favorite authors.
Keri Miles roper
Couldn't finish it. It may be wonderful, and I may try again at another time, but it was a struggle to get thru the first 50 pages, so I'm holding out.
Amy Franks
One of her better historical fiction books - a tale of early London and a dockside family. Lots of drama.
Amy
Elodie
This was her first book and it was a joy, Catherine Cookson only got better.
PWRL
  • Foxfire
  • Bride of the MacHugh
  • The Two Mrs. Abbotts
  • The Journey
  • Tanamera (Coronet Books)
  • Upstairs Downstairs
  • Search of the Moon King's Daughter
  • Deep Summer (Plantation Trilogy, #1)
  • Stolen Promise
  • Score!
  • Swan's Chance (Wild Swan Trilogy, #2)
  • The Long Masquerade
  • Hidden Talents
  • The Cup of Ghosts (Mathilde of Westminster, #1)
  • Magicians of Gor (Gor, #25)
  • Westward Hearts (Homeward on the Oregon Trail, #1)
  • Zeke and Ned
Catherine Cookson was born in Tyne Dock, the illegitimate daughter of a poverty-stricken woman, Kate, whom she believed to be her older sister. She began work in service but eventually moved south to Hastings, where she met and married Tom Cookson, a local grammar-school master. Although she was originally acclaimed as a regional writer - her novel The Round Tower won the Winifred Holtby Award for...more
More about Catherine Cookson...
Dwelling Place Tilly Trotter The Mallen Streak The Glass Virgin The Black Velvet Gown