Start by marking “The Gathering Storm (Crown of Stars, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Gathering Storm (Crown of Stars, #5)

The Gathering Storm (Crown of Stars #5)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,702 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
The fifth book in Kate Elliott's popular and acclaimed Crown of Stars saga is exactly what the title implies: a gathering storm of dark, centuries-old forces preparing to make a final, cataclysmic return...
Published February 4th 2003 by DAW Hardcover (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Gathering Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gathering Storm

Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
A disclaimer: for someone who’s read a lot of fantasy, I am not a big series reader. In fact, after beginning Crown of Stars I realized that, should I make it through all seven volumes, it would become the only completed adult epic fantasy series longer than a trilogy that I'd ever read in its entirety. Every word there counts: I’ve read entire epic fantasy series for younger readers, mostly when I was one. I’ve read series that wouldn’t quite count as “epic fantasy,” because they ended, then ad ...more
Leseparatist
Jan 26, 2016 Leseparatist rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 2016
Still very enjoyable, but a bit of a disappointment compared to the previous volumes. It felt like a lot of shuffling of pieces took entirely too much space, and at a certain point I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the obvious mumbo-jumbo for the sake of getting the timeline to fit all the disparate threads. This character gets sick for three months! This character travels in time for a year and a half! This character gets stuck in a cage and eats algae for a month! This character travels to N ...more
Mei-Lu
Feb 16, 2012 Mei-Lu rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Although the Gathering Storm is the fifth in a seven volume series (Crown of Stars), it’s the last one I read. In fact, I didn’t even finish this book. I got to page 672 and I gave up. Still, I feel like this book should count for two reasons: 1) plenty of books manage to tell their stories in 672 pages or less and 2) I need to get something out of the torture that was reading this series.

In the Gathering Storm, Liath and Sanglant finally reunite to prevent the upcoming Apocalypse together. But
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

The Crown of Stars series is well-thought out and obviously well-planned. It's epic in scope and it's got a lot of texture. There are many complex characters who we follow in parallel, as in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. Some of them are very likable, and there are some really excellent villains (e.g., Hugh). Ms. Elliott's creatures are imaginative and enjoyable, and I especially liked the way they interact with the humans. Ms. Elliott uses a lot of descr
Alice
Apr 24, 2010 Alice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, series
EPIC.

This book is epic. And normally, I like epic. But for some reason, this series makes me feel stupid. There are so many characters doing so many things in so many places, and what with the wacky time shifting and whatnot in this book, I just can't keep up. I spent most of my time going... "wait, WHERE are we? What is happening? Where did Liath go?"

I feel badly about it, because this author does things I normally like... taking archetypes and twisting them around, avoiding the happy endings f
Kerri
Jan 05, 2009 Kerri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the great things about this book, about this series in fact, is that it's nearly impossible to put it down. You may have prior commitments or friends to hang out with or whatever, but you still can't help but wonder when Liath and Sanglant will finally reunite, or where Hanna and Rosvita and friends will end up when they travel through the crowns, or if Alain will ever find happiness in the present. Almost no one finds true happiness in this fifth volume of the Crown of Stars series as th ...more
Kristi-anne
Sep 09, 2015 Kristi-anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read these a while ago and was one of best sets I read so far, so anticipating all the way through all 7 books omg such good set I wished they never end, one of those where you finish and think "NOW WHAT?! :("
AWESOME!
Dave
Jan 08, 2008 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
I am really enjoying this series a lot. I like the way you actually care about the supporting characters as well as the main ones.
My only complaint, and it is a small one, is when you get really excited to see where the story is going with one character.....right as the author switches viewpoints.
This one has a pretty satisfying 'ending'. I can't wait to get started on the next one.
Ryan Mueller
May 09, 2016 Ryan Mueller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
This book is very typical of the series. While there are a lot of slow sections that I struggle through, the end of each book always rewards me for my patience. Kate Elliott is capable of writing some truly amazing scenes. Her characterization is also some of the best in the fantasy genre. I think this series would be among my favorites if the pacing were faster.
Gilda Felt
Sep 10, 2015 Gilda Felt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The series has really hit its stride, now, at least for me. Of course, a lot of that may be because Liath and Sanglant, my favorite power couple (*g*) are front and center. Throw in griffins and centaurs, and you have a rousing tale that is only getting better. And I love Alain’s connection with Stronghand. Their story is definitely getting more interesting. There have been deaths, some, unfortunately, of well-loved characters, but there are still many stories to be told before the end.

Okay, the
Jenny
Mar 21, 2016 Jenny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dar B
Feb 15, 2011 Dar B rated it liked it
I really liked this novel in the way that I could not get through it quickly enough. I kept yearning for more and hardly could put it down! That is good; one tends to prefer interesting stories, characters, creatures, and worlds. However, this is the fifth book within this series and I believe that the author began referring to the impending "cataclysm" as early as the second book (I tend to mix up what was included in each separate book). Well, the "cataclysm" takes place within this book and w ...more
Sylvia Moore
Finally, I finished this tortuous book! I nearly gave up several times, but I've slogged through this series thus far and there are certain characters that I like well enough to want to know what happens to them. Although Elliott's prose is pretty, it's often too wordy. She relies too much on description, and not enough on action. The plot of this book, and the series itself, just drags on far too long. A good editor could have easily cut the page count in half, and still told us all we needed t ...more
Meuryc
May 30, 2014 Meuryc rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I misplaced this book and found it again this weekend. Maybe I will try getting back into it. So far it is typical Kate Elliott. There are so many subplots I need a score card to keep up. I find myself wanting to jump ahead just to get to a subplot I care about.

I misplaced this book again and I have no real desire to find it. As I read through other reviews I find that I am not alone in my frustration. I think when I do find this book again I will add it to the give away pile and write it off. I
Claire
Sep 30, 2015 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lengthy and detailed, a medieval fantasy with reality based details but an entirely different set of problems.
Kereesa
I enjoy the only books I've found in this series have been the odd-numbered ones.
Erinn
Oct 17, 2011 Erinn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
Oh. My. Goodness!

Such a good book! Elliott did a masterful job playing out every single storyline. She kept shuffling through them all and I'd always get so into that each one that I hated having to read the next, never mind that I'd been wanting to read more of it a chapter or so previously.

It had such a great ending too. I can't wait to see what the last two books have in store. I'd say more, but then there would be spoilers. We all hate spoilers, so I won't do that to anyone.
Sue
Feb 17, 2009 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first 30 pages or so of this book had at least a typo a page, and the last 10 or so pages did as well. Doesn't anyone copyedit/proofread any more? It was as if they let MS Word do the spellcheck for them - most of the errors were actual words, just the wrong words. I almost threw the book down in disgust, but I have the next two books in the series to read, and I couldn't read them without reading this one. I hope these errors weren't in the hardcover edition!
Alexis
Nov 06, 2014 Alexis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are long books, but really good. The lines become blurred between fantasy and real history.
Deanne Robin
Apr 27, 2013 Deanne Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The cataclysm is finally here and everyone is scrambling to either stop a great disaster or be part of the problem. Of course those that are part of the problem think they are the solution and it is unclear which side is right until the cataclysm has already happened. Again there are a lot of point of views to follow and it can seem to drag along at times. But as I read the book I had the hope it would all make seance by the end.
Katherine
Feb 14, 2008 Katherine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Fifth in the Crown of Stars series. Elliott manages the multiple threads of her complex fantasy epic with admirable skill, her characters weaving through different countries and relative timelines, each doing their best to reach their own goals as the cataclysm looms. Feels a bit rushed at times (especially considering the slow and careful build-up of the previous four books), but very exciting overall.
Sarah Jane
The Crown of Stars series is my first introduction into science fiction and fantasy novels. That's the only reason they would get such a high rating. As a young girl I related with the character Liath, especially her ability to escape to an attic in her mind where she hides all her pain. It taught me a valuable coping mechanism, and probably helped me in later years with meditation.
Ben
Apr 08, 2013 Ben rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was a disappoint. Some of the characters plotlines seem to be running in place and the 'climatic' finale was awful due to sloppy writing. I think Elliot grew bored and tried to write the last third of the book as quickly as possible. Hopefully the last two books in the series are better, but I'm not holding my breath.
Tim
Dec 21, 2008 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Crown of Stars continues to be complex with a capital C, but not so murky that you're frustrated. Volume 5 would seem to be just about the climax of the series, with the warned-against cataclysm virtually destroying the known world. There's much more to come, but I'd argue that the series was never quite as good afterwards.
Mike
Aug 05, 2008 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm trying really hard to love this series, but so far I only like it. Parts of it are thoroughly engaging and parts seem to drag on indefinitely. The author has some good creative ideas, and the plot jumps made in the story aren't always predictable. I like the series enough to continue reading it.
Sara
Aug 21, 2008 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a little better though I still think the plot line moves along a little slowly. The beginning was hard to get through but it got better around the middle. I'm just barely interested enough to finish reading the series.
Armando Alvarez
Sep 18, 2007 Armando Alvarez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages 17 and up
just as confusing but worth reading. If you have the extra time I recommend this book . you weave your way through it and its easier if you have a good maturity level.
Arthur
The last an OK book in the series. The last two books are complete rubbish. It would be better if she never wrote them.
Jay
Feb 06, 2008 Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This one was still a little confushing but not as bad as book four. It was a fun read.
Erin
Feb 15, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it
Would have been three, but the ending to this book was pretty amazing so 4 it is.
In this book who and what are Sorrow and Rage? 3 8 Sep 25, 2012 10:50AM
  • Hunter's Death (The Sacred Hunt, #2)
  • The Gold Falcon (The Silver Wyrm, #1; The Dragon Mage, #4)
  • The Golden Key
  • Wild Magic (Fool's Gold, #2)
  • Fugitive Prince (Wars of Light & Shadow, #4; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #1)
  • Towers Fall (Towers Trilogy, #3)
  • The Second Draeken War (Combined Edition)
  • Shapechanger's Song
  • The Shattered City (Creature Court, #2)
  • Velveteen vs. The Multiverse (Velveteen vs., #2)
  • Magi'i of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #10)
  • Breath and Bone (Lighthouse, #2)
As a child in rural Oregon, Kate Elliott made up stories because she longed to escape to a world of lurid adventure fiction. She now writes fantasy, steampunk, and science fiction, often with a romantic edge. It should therefore come as no surprise that she met her future husband in a sword fight.

When he gave up police work to study archaeology, they and their three children fell into an entirely
More about Kate Elliott...

Crown of Stars (7 books)
  • King's Dragon (Crown of Stars, #1)
  • Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2)
  • The Burning Stone (Crown of Stars, #3)
  • Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4)
  • In the Ruins (Crown of Stars, #6)
  • Crown of Stars (Crown of Stars, #7)