Start by marking “Hey! Get Off Our Train” as Want to Read:

Illus. in full color.

An IRA Children's Choice
A Parents' Choice Award winner for illustration
A California Children's Book Award winner
Published July 5th 1994 by Dragonfly Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Hey! Get Off Our Train, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hey! Get Off Our Train

The Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgFreight Train by Donald CrewsThe Little Red Caboose by Marian PotterTrains by Byron Barton
Picture Books about Trains
24th out of 116 books — 45 voters
Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonThe Amazing Super Great Awesome Incredible Fantastic Space Race! by Othen Donald Dale CummingsGuards! Guards! by Terry PratchettHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss
Titles with an Exclamation Point!
115th out of 538 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Holly
Brilliant book! Good for shared reading (EYFS and KS1) and early readers.

The story can be used to introduce children to the ideas of the environment, endangered animals and the problems they face.

The stroy also lends itself very well to role play and disucssion of characters.
Ugo Norcaro
Oi! Get off our train
John Burningham
This book had me at Oi! The story is making statements about the plight of endangered animals and the treatment, pollution of the environment (Planet Earth), so loads of opportunities to link in with other topics. There is a distinct pattern to the story layout which will help developing readers, as well as the repeated catch phrase from the book’s title. All the separate segments are cleverly interlinked, but at the same time providing convenient places to
Lisa Vegan
Mar 10, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everybody; kids who care about endangered wild animals
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Oh, I just loved this. It turned to be about something even better than I’d anticipated, and there’s a wonderful twist ending I did not expect at all.

I love trains. By the time I was eleven, I’d been on 2 ships, I plane, but multiple train rides, including 9 times on the California Zephyr, between the San Francisco Bay Area and Chicago. So, I really enjoyed the part about the train, including the mesmerizing illustrations.

But. this book is actually about endangered animal species, and why they a
Katie
Story of a boy who dreams of driving a train at night. he goes to lots of different destinations where of animals try to get on (hence the title and its repetition) and they all reasons why they have to get on eg., the tiger wants to get on "... because they are cutting down all the forests that he lives in and soon there will be none of us left."

Quite heavy for a picture book. Also quite long and pictures are quite abstract - more of a sophisticated picture book.

I think this is more for a Y1-3
Heidi
introduces the idea of extinction to young children...interesting illustrations. Grif liked it for the trains and the animals.
Vivian
A little boy goes to sleep hugging his pajama-case dog and dreams he and pooch are on a train journey. My favorite aspect of this generously sized picture book are the full-page scenic illustrations and the boy's asides, such as "if there's time, we can have a picnic" or if there's fog "we can play ghosts." On every other page an endangered animal wants to come on board, explaining their dire peril if they are left behind.

For purposes of pre-school story time I left out the endangered peril expl
Natalie Zagara
An important message is explored in this story about a young boy who takes a journey on his train at night as he sleeps and dreams. The boy's mother sends him off to bed as she complains about him playing on his train. As he enters Dreamland, the boy and his dog ride his toy train and encounter different types of endagered species that would like them to pick them up and give them a ride on his train. Each animal has a good reason as to why the boy should pick them up and take them for a ride. E ...more
Charlotte Dutton
John Burningham's Oi! Get off our Train follows a young boy as he sets off on his round-the-world trip to Dreamland on the Night Train. With only his toy dog for company, the little boy is soon joined by an array of environmentally endangered animals asking if they can join him on his journey. Although not quite sure at the start, the little boy by the end of the story fills his train with the animals and together they explore different environments, weather and habitats before they all return h ...more
Gracie Guagenti
A boy travels through his dreams picking up animals that are hitchhiking to avoid extinction. When he awakes his mother wonders where all of the animals came from. This twist at the end of the book was clever, but would confuse younger children. An educator could use this book as an introduction to conservation or endangered species. The illustrations are created using what I believe is colored pencil. They start off very clean while the boy is awake, but become more artistic as he dreams.
Marissa Pezzullo
This book is a very clever way of teaching children about endangered species. This would be a great read aloud book to teach children about animals and what it means to be endangered. I really liked the way the whole book is meant off of a dream. The colors are light water colors, but pop when they should.
Yasser Elgendy
Angel Serrano
Aunque la historia es un poco rancia desde el punto de vista de explotar el ecologismo para vender el libro, algunas de las ilustraciones son excelentes, aunque al libro le falta la coherencia de estilo en los dibujos, se agradece la repetición en el texto.
Jessica Minnoia
This is a fantasy picture book where a boy goes on a train ride and picks up various animals along the way. Each time a new animals gets on board, the other animals yell "Hey, Get off our train." The various animals then plead their case why they should be allowed on ( the elephant is afraid they are coming to cut his tusks off, a seal wants to come because of water pollution, etc).
I would use this book as a read aloud to introduce children to the idea of protecting the Earth, most likely on E
Kevin Ryan
A book about a young boy who slips into dreamworld and has an adventure on his play train. Animal after animal, after hearing their sad story, is let on this train for this understanding young boy.

Audience: 2-5 grade
Genre: Fiction
Topic: treatment of animals

The illustrations relate directly to the text, having a good text to power relationship without the pictures alone telling the story.

Good for any kind of read: independent, shared, or read aloud

The issue brought up in this book is the humane
Modboy
Aug 19, 2010 Modboy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Modboy by: Brooklyn Library
I really enjoyed this story about a boy and dog who go on a train journey. Along the way they meet many animals and each time they are welcomed with "Hey! Get Off Our Train!" The animals explain why they need shelter with some type of story of ecological destruction. The book has a great pace about it. There's the excitement and humor of "Hey!..." followed by a serious discussion from the animal in question, followed by a beautiful textless painting of the train traveling through the countryside ...more
Clarcy
Hey! Get Off Our Train by John Birmingham is the story of a young boy whose dreams take him on an adventure in his toy train, resulting in several rescues of endangered animals. Each time a new friend joined them, another adventure ensued until the boy knew it was time to wake up so that he could go to school.
The illustrations are endearing and charming, drawn in soft dream like colors, and very childlike. It really seemed like I was reading a dream, I remember having dreams like that as a chil
Jul 07, 2013 Sarah added it
A little boy sets off on a round the world night train to dreamland with only his toy dog for company. But soon all sorts of endangered animals are asking if they can join them on their jouney.

This book is good for children in the eyfs and ks1

I read this book to my nursery class and then we spoke about when we have needed help and discussed how we felt.

The children then wrote a sentence describing why the animals needed help.

This book is fantastic for children as they can join in with the repet
Beth
During his dream train ride lots of animals ask to ride the train and he relents to let them aboard. The elephant was in danger of losing his tusks. The seal is left with dirty water and few fish to eat. Crane is in danger of losing his marshes. Tiger is seeing his forest being destroyed. Being turned into a fur coat is a concern of polar bear.
In the morning the boy is off to school, but his mom lets him know about the animals in the house.
Perhaps this book can spark discussion about Earth Day,
Linnea Lyding
I loved this book! John Burningham has done a wonderful job combining excellent drawings that enrich the text. The story enters into the fantasy world of dreams. At the same time, it shares the plight of many animals in this world. As the main character falls asleep, the pictures take over the pages illustrating what takes place in his mind. The character and his dog (pajama case) share adventures and pick up new friends along the way because they are in trouble. In the end...
Jessica
I really liked this book. About a boy's dream. On a train ride throughout the world he picks up endangered animals along the way. Each time a new animal stops to get on the other yell Hey! Get off our train. Each animal pleads his case. The next morning the little boy wakes up for school with a house full of endangered animals. Great to use in a science lesson.
Cedric
Another John Burningham triumph! This book is fun for children, and yet still contains a very powerful global message. The preservation of our wildlife should be so important to us. This book points out some sad consequences of the humanization of the planet. But even still, it is a fun, hopeful and fancifully imaginative book. Definitely read this one!
Sharon Green
grades K-2
emergent
read aloud/shared reading
ecological fable
environment
repetition/dialogue/illustrations whimsical&abstract/humor
in a dream, little boy and faithful dog companion set out on a trip around the world. they encounter various endangered species that want to get on board their train. Animals homes are no longer safe for them.

Tommy
This is an odd book. I think our copy may be missing some pages because some of the animals seem to appear mysteriously. It's a strange combination of a train book with an environmental message, but the boys enjoy it.
Danny
Chinook
First off, mine was Oi! Get Off Our Train and the word Oi was half the fun! Six classes of kindies, unimpressed.
jenna nims
great story - says a lot about environmental issues in a way for kids to understand.
Sarah Stumphf
Excellent mix of bedtime story and conservation.
Discussion post #5 1 1 Feb 24, 2015 06:50PM
  • Franklin's Neighborhood (Franklin)
  • Merry Un-Christmas
  • Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Book?
  • Mister Magnolia
  • Terrific Trains
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • Truck
  • Beware of the Frog
  • The Santa Trap
  • Is There Really a Human Race?
  • Two Little Trains
  • Haunted House
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Feelings
  • Max's Dragon Shirt
  • I Knew You Could!: A Book for All the Stops in Your Life
  • Roadwork
  • Ginger

Married to Helen Oxenbury They have one son and two daughters.

John Burningham was born in 1936 in Farnham, Surrey, and attended the alternative school, Summerhill. In 1954 he spent two years travelling through Italy, Yugoslavia and Israel, working at a variety of jobs.

From 1956-1959, he studied at the Central School of Art, after which he designed posters fo
More about John Burningham...
Mr. Gumpy's Outing Avocado Baby There's Going to Be a Baby It's a Secret! Mr. Gumpy's Motor Car

“There are lots of animals in the house.
There's an elephant in the hall,
a seal in the bathtub,
a crane in the laundry,
a tiger on the stairs,
and a polar bear by the fridge.
Does this have anything to do with you?”
1 likes