Start by marking “Dinosaur Train” as Want to Read:
Dinosaur Train

Dinosaur Train

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  35 reviews
All Aboard!Have your tickets ready for the most exciting ride of your life on the Dinosaur Train!
Published September 17th 2002 by HarperCollins (first published September 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaur Train, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinosaur Train

The Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgFreight Train by Donald CrewsTrains by Byron BartonThe Little Red Caboose by Marian Potter
Picture Books about Trains
35th out of 108 books — 42 voters
Dinotopia by James GurneyEdwina, the Dinosaur Who Didn't Know She Was Extinct by Mo WillemsDinosaur Bones by Bob BarnerHow Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food? by Jane YolenHow Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You? by Jane Yolen
Dinosaur Picture Books
59th out of 99 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

R. C.
Not even that great for a kid who loves trains and dinosaurs. There was something missing from the pages in this book, not in a good way that would get kids thinking, just in a dopey author & half-baked illustrator kind of way. I had to explain to my four-year-old what the book meant even though all the vocab was beneath him and the illustrations were simple. One to avoid.
Lauren
Yes, the book is short on content, but there are few young boys who are not crazy about dinosaurs or trains--most probably, both. This is the fulfillment of that kind of boy's ultimate fantasy--being picked up from his own bedroom to ride on a train with dinosaurs. Love the front cover illustration of T-Rex inhaling the train smoke and blowing it out his nostrils.
Becky Martin
Jesse is a young boy who loves nothing more than to play with dinosaurs and trains. One day, he is getting ready for bed when a train full of dinosaurs stops at his house to pick him up. When the train accidentally falls over, Jesse uses his skills of playing to help lead the group and solve the conflict. It a cute story to show that dreams can really come to life. The illustrations are filled with solid colors, and emphasis is put on the characters and objects rather than the background. The di ...more
Sarah Sammis
Most of the time when I'm in the picture book and early readers section of the children's library, I am looking for books for my children. Sometimes though a book catches my attention. Dinosaur Train by Steven Gurney is one of those books.

Two years ago I read "Bread and Circus" by Steven Popkes. The plot centers on a coach of a dinosaur soccer team who travel to their venues on a train.

As it turns out Dinosaur Train has fantastic illustrations that bring to life the night time adventure of a boy
Rachel
I think my son loves this book for the cover image alone. He kept going on and on about the giant feet and the T-Rex inhaling all the smoke. It is about a young boy named Jesse who really loved dinosaurs and trains (just like my son), and after drawing a picture of the two together, he gets invited on a real train operated by them. After exploring the train car by car, the whole train leans over to look at a volcano that Jesse has seen and it topples over. After helping to right the train, he ge ...more
Joanna
This book starts out with how Jesse's usual day is "Trains and dinosaurs. Dinosaurs and trains" accompanied by illustrations of him playing with toy trains and dinosaurs and painting them and I had to say, I felt a very real pang of jealousy. Man, wish my days were all trains and dinosaurs, dinosaurs and trains...
Naomi
Cute fantasy read for the early reader. I found the story to be mediocre, but it was the illustrations that really made this book stand out.
Mediaman812
Look. All you have to do to get a boy between the ages of 2 and 10 interested in a picture book is put dinosaurs, trains, sports, cars, or construction equipment in it. John Steven Gurney just threw two of those into the same book.

My son loved it, but I hated it, and since I'm writing the review, it's my opinion that counts.

This disjointed collection of pictures barely qualifies as a story. If you're looking for dinosaurs and trains (which seems to be a growing sub-genre), I'd recommend All Abo
Restokes92
This book is about a kid named Jesse who loves train and dinosaurs (sounds like me as a kid). One day a train full of dinosaurs pulls up to his house and he joins them. The train falls over and Jesse helps out his dinosaur friends. I would use this book as a read aloud and I would loosly use it to put ELA and science together because it does display some science about dinosaurs (carnivores eating burgers, herbivores eating salads). The illustrations in this book arre great so it would also work ...more
Emyrose8
Awesome pictures! Not much story.
Tara
*sigh* I want to give this book a bad review because, in my opinion, it is just a glorified version of Snakes on a Plane or Cowboys and Aliens...combining two things that shouldn't go together. But alas, this book is intended for my daughter and she is IN LOVE. Everyday I am asked about this book. She wants to know how a train falls over. She wants me to feed her food with a choo choo train. She loves the dinosaurs...and trains. So, maybe it will work for your kids!
Samantha
Combining two childhood favorites, a boy draws a picture of dinosaurs on a train and the scene comes to life. He hops aboard for the adventure of the lifetime and even encourages the dinosaurs to upright the train after it falls off the track.

Illustrations give the dinosaurs a friendly/realistic look, meaning that different types of dinosaurs are represented, but they don't look too scary to share with pre-readers.

Great read aloud.
Nancy Jo Lambert
I am giving this one three stars, because little boys (ages 2-5) will love this book. My son only thought it was so-so, but he is a very discerning reader. I think most boys that love dinosaurs and trains will love this one. It has minimal content and there are several moments where the readers goes, "What?" but overall it is a fine book for the little ones.
Stephanie Tuell
excellent combonation about trains and dinosaurs and imagination. this is an excellent book about a little boy, jesse, who loves trains and dinosaurs so much. one night, right before bed, his imagination takes him on a train ride with dinosaurs. it's jesse's dream come true!! excellent book for a train or dinosaur lover of all ages
Brooke Birchler
The books has wonderful illustrations and would be really good for a child to read if they love dinosaurs or trains or both. Some of the dinosaurs play roles of the people who actually work to operate trains so the children reading the book can learn the names of the train workers.
Mary
This book is very similar to the polar express except it is with dinosaurs. A little boy goes to sleep and dreams of his two favorite things—dinosaurs on trains! They go on an excellent journey and return to his room. It is a good story for younger readers and also for read aloud.
Heidi
The pictures are enjoyable to look at--much better appreciated in a lap-read. I can't really feel behind it in a storytime--not just yet. I'd have to think how I'd go about it. But I would definitely book talk it or have it available for them to read afterwards.
Maddypictures
This story is notable because it features two things:
1) DINOSAURS!!!
2) TRAINS!!!!

That's all you need to know, really. The story is slight, but that doesn't stop the children at my storytimes from being enchanted with it.
Jeanette
This book bugs me. I really do not like reading it out loud.
But it has dinosaurs and trains so the kids think it is great. Thankfully, now if the kids request it I can have my son read it. :-)
Laneika Cason
PB34. I like the pictures in this book more than I did the story itself. I liked the use of the warm colors throughout. I think the short text allow the pictures to speak for themselves.
jacky
Very different from the TV series that came after, but you can see where the seed of the idea came from. Any enjoyable read combining two kids favorites: trains and dinosaurs.
Gail
Not to be confused with the cartoon, this book seems explicitly written for boys (no problem with that!). My three year old daughter wasn't that into it.
Molly Naugher
Definitely includes both dinosaurs and trains as advertised but little else. Not much story and very little to back up the story that is there.
Although not the most substantive of children's stories, the idea of dinosaurs & trains...together...in one book is a WINNER for my kid.
Lindsay
I think a lot of little ones would enjoy this but it wasn't anything special to me, apart from combining dinosaurs and transportation.
Miekka
We've read two dinosaur train books now and this is the better of the two. Lots of action, good rhymes. Ages 3 and up.
Brian
Feb 17, 2011 Brian rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
The illustrations are great, but there's not much of a story, unfortunately. We shall see how much the kids revisit this title.
Malcolm says, "I liked the train, I likes the boy, I liked the T Rex on the cover, and that's all."
Angie S
Both of my boys adore this book... one can never go wrong with trains and dinosaurs.
Bruce
Not much of story told here. The creativity was great but not much was done with it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • If the Dinosaurs Came Back
  • Twenty Big Trucks in the Middle of the Street
  • Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn to Read?
  • What Can a Crane Pick Up?
  • I'm Fast!
  • Down by the Station
  • All Aboard the Dinotrain
  • Purple Little Bird
  • Silly Suzy Goose
  • Hide and Seek
  • Dinosaurumpus
  • Polar Bear Morning
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • Perfectly Percy
  • Jump!
  • A Funny Little Bird
  • There Was a Coyote Who Swallowed a Flea
Over the River and Through the Woods (Cartwheel) The World's Best Salesman Jokes Brave Community: The Digger Movement in the English Revolution Three Verse Plays: Jehanne D'arque, The Courtship Of Soren Kierkegaard, Bess And Bob The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries, #1)