Start by marking “Watch Mommy Die” as Want to Read:
Watch Mommy Die

Watch Mommy Die

In The Hands Of A Sadist. . .

First, he bound and beat his girlfriend, a 43-year-old librarian. Then he went after her teenaged daughter--warning her, "Scream and I will kill you both"--before knocking her unconscious. When the teenager awoke, he proceded to rape her. And in a final horrifying act of depravity, he forced the girl to watch as he slit her mother's throat. But
Published May 1st 2011 by Pinnacle (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Watch Mommy Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watch Mommy Die

♥ Marlene♥
OMG this is not good. I have read just a little bit and except for the outcome I have been told everything I need to know.

Here I thought this author had written some great books. (this was based on the amount of books he had published) The one I had read of him was not so good as well which was The Burn Farm.

I do feel that with the coming of the ereaders and self published books, so many very badly written books have been published. It feels most books suck now and it is hard to find the good o
Ruth Turner
Aug 24, 2014 Ruth Turner rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
Lacking in emotion, poorly written, disjointed and often boring.

I'm not sure why I pushed myself to finish this book.
Syntactical Disruptorize
Why do so many half-witted hacks turn to true crime? Do they really think that a disjointed recital of the facts surrounding a murder, however horrific, will make for a compelling book? You have to have a narrative. This book sucks, as do too many of its kind.
This is another new to me True Crime author. This is also just one of those books I picked up at the library. Stephen Stanko was an ex-con and a published author. He used his status as a published author to impress people and glossed over why he went to prison. He had people convinced he was a nice guy. They are all nice guys until you find the bodies in the crawl space – sorry – wrong book.

He kept a scrapbook of serial killers, later it became apparent he was using it for ideas on how to become
true crime books are the potato chips of my reading life. this one was okay. I picked it up because one of the murder victims was a librarian. the killer frequented her library and they eventually started a relationship. besides the librarian angle, one of the details I'll remember most about this book was the mention of Stanko's business card, which read: "Stephen Stanko: Paralegal and Exotic Dancer." I can't believe the author didn't make a bigger deal about that. I mean, that is clearly the b ...more
Jen Walker
I liked the first half of this book, but stopped reading into the second half. I haven't read many of these types of books before but I thought this was just ok. I didn't like the second half because I really did not care to here about the killers previous crimes or life that really were not all that exciting.
Andrea Gordon
I wasn't entirely thrilled with the writing of this book. Also I felt a lot of details were missing. Preferring Ann Rule so far for true crime
Oct 20, 2012 Chandra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this book. I couldn't finish it. The story was good but I didn't care for the writing.
Ronnie Cramer
Better than one would expect from the lurid title. It's the story of a South Carolina con man who gets a book published while he's in prison, then upon his release he 'graduates' to rape and murder.
Stacy Sweeney favoroso
I love true crime books but I couldn't finish this book.
Karen Madsen
Feb 24, 2014 Karen Madsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good book
Nov 16, 2012 Jaime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I am a true crime junkie. I hadn't heard about this case, or the events leading up to it, before reading the book. It was a bit hard to read, not because the writing wasn't clear or attention-getting, but because it is different, when you read of horrific crimes, and you know they really happened to someone. I found myself wishing that the events would change, that the people in the story would do something DIFFERENT, to make the outcome something other than what it was.
Apr 28, 2015 Cyndi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read alot of true crime books but this one did not hold my interest. It was poorly written and oftentimes I thought the other was trying to be funny. I gave up in the middle. Although his crimes were horrific I just didn't care enough to find out what happened at the end.
Eileen Lachapelle perry
part 2 was boring
Marianne Stehr
May 19, 2011 Marianne Stehr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting book that follows the step by step violence and justice to killer Steven Stanko. I was unfamiliar with these crimes prior to reading the book and now feel very much the expert. It is a well written, well researched and detailed account of the violence, the victims, the criminal and the justice system of South Carolina. It is definitely one of the better true crime books I have read.
Lynda Kelly
Oct 23, 2011 Lynda Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
I really enjoyed this if that's the right word.........I'd never heard of Stephen Stanko so he wasn't the prolific murderer HE thought he was !! A nasty piece of work for sure. A couple of his victims that survived were certainly very brave ladies and made sure he was going to pay for what he'd done-good for them !!
Jul 20, 2012 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a true story and was hard to read, just because of what the story is about. It is actually informative and pretty well written, probably only emotion that keeps me from giving it 5. The woman from this story is from my hometown and went to my highschool
Paige Bradish
Jun 30, 2011 Paige Bradish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didnt know if i'd like true crimes but i found out that i really do. I find them quite interesting. Which is good. I thought that when it got to the trial part that i was going to get really bored but i didnt at all.
Kaotickitten Box
The book was OK. There were editing issues that broke up the flow. Also the writer should have stuck to one name not switching between the given, nickname, and last names.
Aug 24, 2011 Ferin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-give-up
Suggested by a friend. The writing style was okay. This is a true crime novel, which I didn't know when I began reading. Very tragic story.
Feb 19, 2016 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
I enjoyed the book because I live in South Carolina and am familiar with the localities where the crimes were committed.
Terry Chambers
Aug 03, 2011 Terry Chambers rated it really liked it
A very compelling read - did not want to put it down.
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2016
Barbara Adair
Barbara Adair rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2016
Mrs E J Bazeley
Mrs E J Bazeley rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2016
Tammy Hill
Tammy Hill marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2016
Sarah Tracy
Sarah Tracy marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2016
Cassandra Kelly
Cassandra Kelly rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2016
Angela rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2016
Lauretta Valdivieso
Lauretta Valdivieso rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Bitter Remains: A Custody Battle, A Gruesome Crime, and the Mother Who Paid the Ultimate Price
  • No, Daddy, Don't!: A Father's Murderous Act of Revenge
  • By Their Father's Hand: The True Story of the Wesson Family Massacre
  • Dead And Buried: A Shocking Account of Rape, Torture, and Murder on the California Coast
  • To Love and to Kill
  • Such Good Boys: The True Story of a Mother, Two Sons and a Horrifying Murder
  • Our Little Secret: The True Story of a Teenager Killer and the Silence of a Small New England Town
  • Driven To Kill
  • Evil Intentions: How an Act of Kindness Led to Senseless Murder
  • The World's Most Evil People
  • Blood in the Snow: The True Story of a Stay-at-Home Dad, his High-Powered Wife, and the Jealousy that Drove him to Murder
  • Delivered from Evil: True Stories of Ordinary People Who Faced Monstrous Mass Killers and Survived
  • Cry Myself to Sleep
  • Trace Evidence: The Hunt for the I-5 Serial Killer
  • Evil Beside Her
  • Abducted
  • I'll Take Care of You

“Murderers with severe personality disorders, police had learned, sometimes could fool a lie detector because they lacked shame and guilt, and didn’t feel the normal stress when lying.” 3 likes
“Vanderbilt University scientists had discovered chemically testable differences between psychopaths and others. One was the variance in levels of dopamine, a naturally produced chemical that contributed to a person’s motivation and pleasure. Those scientists concluded that the elevated level of dopamine was not an additional symptom to the personality abnormalities already known, but rather responsible for the personality changes.” 2 likes