Body for Life for Women: 12 Weeks to a Firm, Fit, Fabulous Body at Any Age

Body for Life for Women: 12 Weeks to a Firm, Fit, Fabulous Body at Any Age

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  320 ratings  ·  60 reviews
The bestselling Body-for-Life program is now tailored just for women—to help them achieve dramatic weight loss and body-changing fitness in just 12 weeks!
The #1 New York Times bestseller Body-for-LIFE helped hundreds of thousands of people the world over to build stronger bodies and enjoy a higher quality of life. Now Dr. Pamela Peeke, bestselling author of Fight Fat After...more
Audio CD, Abridged
Published April 16th 2005 by Macmillan Audio (first published 2005)

Tania
I am now on day 3 of body for life, and have already lost 1% fat and 1 and a half kilo. So feel very motivated. I liked that the book was written specifically written for women, and that it I can do the whole program without joining a gym. I am also a big fan of the 80% of the time rule, no-one's perfect, and this will help me not giving up when having a bad day.
Kathy
For Middleton Ladies Twelve Week Challenge.
Starting the Challenge tomorrow, but with Sundays being my rest days.
I like the internal motivation that she has you work on, and the idea of keeping your jounral.
The Vitamin I, is what I know that I will need help on. Push the intensity.
Kristen
You can read this review and others on my blog at http://awriterswife-bcray.blogspot.co...

I checked this book out from the library because I'd heard that the Body For Life books are really good, and I know that women have some fundamentally different obstacles when trying to loose weight and get in shape. I'm definitely not in as good of shape as I was in high school and college. Not that I want to get all the way back to that (or that I think I can even physically do that anymore), but I know m...more
Jami
I agree with all that Dr. Peeke suggests in this book and I am anxious to share this info with family. The one thing I had a hard time with was the flow and format of the text. She describes each hormonal milestone for each aspect of her formula "Mind, Mouth, Muscle" and so you go from one to the next and then back to the first again. I think I would have liked to have read one milestone in its entirety and then the next, instead of jumping back and forth (my brain has to work in simple orderly...more
Delores
Every so often, I read a "healthy" book as motivation to fuel my fitness journey. There were many things I liked about this book:
1. It was written for women, by a woman
2. The information was practical
3. It deals not only with your body (exercise) and nutrition (food) but also your mind (mental).
4.The fitness regime is doable, she encourages weights and cardio, which I like.
5.The nutrition plan also seemed reasonable although I didn't necessarily pour over the recipes.
6.There were some handy lis...more
Beth A.
I like the concept of removing weight instead of losing it. It makes sense; when we lose something we usually try to find it again. I liked that this book talked about the way different life stages affect body weight. And I liked the way Peeke recognized that if you are not fit you need to start exercise gradually. I wish she saw the same thing with regards to poor eating habits. The diet seemed pretty strict, and too low calorie for an active overweight person like me.

I probably should stop re...more
Mary
Another excellent motivating book by Dr. Pamela Peeke! Easy to follow plan following a Mind-Mouth-Muscle focus specific to challenges Women face. The section on the Mind was extremely helpful! Another 'keeper' for my bookshelf!
Crystal
okay so I was looking for a boost, some "insider secrets" if you will. This book was targeted at women 50+, it doesn't say that, but once you are into it, you can tell.

It did have some really helpful nutrition info. targeted at women interested in the "body for life" program-so that made it worth it. I caught quite a few areas that I had ALL wrong with my diet. Hopefully it was worth the $30 ????

But if you are looking for a stricter program, like I was, I would go with the original "body for lif...more
Star
Good guidance.
I listened to the book on CD.
She's annoying when she calls her listeners "Girlfriend"...sounds forced/disingenuous.

Rebecca
More like 3.5 stars. The nutrition and exercise portions are nothing revolutionary. What I do like about this book:
1. It is written for women by a woman who has counseled numerous women through their journies.
2. It helps women find the true motivation behind the desire to get healthy. Not many other books really help you focus your mind to help you get through the challenges you will encounter.
3. There is a free website to help you complete your goal and give you motivation.
4. Photos and stories...more
Lindsay
This book is ok! If you are a woman who really struggles with diet and is brand new to working out then this is probably a good book to read. If you are active, I think the workouts will be way too tame and the eating plan is pretty much common sense. I also strongly disagree with the author encouraging the use of artificial sweeteners such as spenda and sucralose as healthy alternatives. Some good information on the changes women go through, but all in all not a great book or program for anyone...more
Fostergrants
Nov 25, 2007 Fostergrants rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women of a certain age
i was so inspired by this book. she understands the particular difficulties women approaching middle age and beyond have with maintaining their weight. no gimmicks or starvation diets or weird unnatainable goals. she stresses building strength and being healthy - not being thin or eating foods that are difficult to share with family. i liked her non judgemental voice. the stories and before and after photos of women in their 70's and 80's who turned their health around made me cry and join a gym...more
Melanie Hughes
Dr. Peeke evokes caring in her book, and also some good motivation to get your rear in gear. Although the intensity level of this book doesn't seem as high as the original B-F-L book, it does address some of the medical differences between women and men. I would have liked to have seen more of a discussion on estrogen and fat retention. A little more science, I guess. But, I re-read it yesterday, and got up and lifted weights today and got sweaty, so it did inspire me =D
Donna
Jul 16, 2008 Donna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Donna by: Dr. Peeke
This is the Dr. doing the Fit For Life tv show Steve is on. He is reading Fit for Life, and I am reading this one. Let's see if it helps!

So I finished reading and now I am actually doing. Gotta say, Dr. Peeke knows what she's talking about! You have to be in the right mindset to get your life back in order, body and soul. I am learning so much and it's really helping me. Just hope I can stick with it!

Cynthia
I've read this twice. I've read it through different stages in my life. It is a little off from the original Body for LIFE. I think I prefer the original and the Champions versions of BFL, however, there is a lot of helpful information in here about the changes women go through during their lives which is great for women who don't have other female family members to discuss these issues with.
Suzanne
I like the concepts in this book regarding weight loss. Dr. Peeke stresses not to rely on the scale to tell you if you are succeeding at weight removal and she also stresses that to be successful at weight removal you have to reduce your calories & increase your movement.

There is some really good sound advice and information. Now if I can just follow through with the 12 week plan.
Emi
This was good because it was geared towards women. It was ok because you had to be in the gym 6 days a week until you reach your goal weight. It's just another low fat diet, eat every 3 hrs. It works only if you follow it to a T. She recommends eating lots of protein but says she'd prefer everyone follow a vegetarian diet like herself but if you can't then it's ok to eat meat.
Amelia
Dec 30, 2007 Amelia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fat people. haha! just kidding
Body for Life rocks. I still use most of what this book taught me without being 100 percent serious about it and I stay in pretty good shape and if I want to get in great shape fast, I know exactly how to do it and I don't even have to go on a diet! I even get to eat more than normal. Yes!

Everyone should read this tonight and make it their New Years resolution:)
Kathy
Technically I'm done reading through the book. I'm now about to begin the 12 week program, which promises a fabulous body at any age, through a contract with yourself to commit mind, mouth, and muscle to achieving your personal target goals, and printable eating and exercise plans to help you do it. I'll adjust my review when I've finished my twelve weeks. :)
Teresa B
Oct 29, 2013 Teresa B rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: woment of every age (and the men who love them)
I enjoyed this upbeat, way-to-go approach to women's fitness. The book is all about nurturing physical and emotional health during each "hormonal milestone" women experience.

I listened to the audiobook twice, first assessing the overall components of Dr. Peeke's text. The second time I listened for practices to apply to my own life.
Kathleen Messmer
I would have given this book 5 stars but for the age. It needs a newer edition with a few updates in metabolic research. The personal stories are very inspiring and any woman who thinks she doesn't have time to take care of herself should have another think on it. You can't care of anyone if you don't take care of yourself.
Alaina
Jun 13, 2007 Alaina rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to get fit
The author is a bit stringent and she and I differ in our opinions on what makes for delicious food (sorry, an exclamation point after the description doesn't make plain yogurt with a packet of splenda sound any yummier). But those Before and After pictures look so amazing... how can you not give the 12-week plan a whirl?
Misti
I don't know about the mantra and the motivational questions section (a little goofy if you ask me), but after reading Body for Life I appreciate this books focus on women and how we need to adapt our eating/exercise habit through the different phases of our life. I also lost 15 pounds after adopting this way of life!
Tiffany
Definitely a good motivator to get your body in shape and eating well. The biggest problem I found was that on a small budget (which is me) I can't afford a lot of the healthier food that she was suggesting. But I did enjoy the motivation and I have been trying to work out better to stay in shape more that way.
Patty
A great book to inspire healthy life choices. I wanted to read it for the explanation on how to do a daily food journal, but I got so much more out of it.
Jadamo7117
Mar 22, 2012 Jadamo7117 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Yikes! I need this! The before-and-after photos are stunning. I had the original Body for Life book years ago, but this one is aimed at women, so even better. The day I got it (used, at Half-price books) Hy-Vee had ergonomically correct weight benches for sale! Was that a sign? I want one!
Meg Cusack
Jul 28, 2010 Meg Cusack rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all women who want wise counsel on health and fitness
Recommended to Meg by: my female obstetrician
My obstetrician told me I should read this book. I was asking her about how to generally maintain health and fitness as I age. She said if there is one book I could buy on these topics, this is it.. It is sensible, not overwhelming, practical and well-researched. It applies to women of all ages.
Jill
Good for what exercises to do as a woman, how to take your measurements, ect. But not really clear on how to take the body for life challenge. Like what you do during that 12 week challenge. Must get the original book, "body for life" as well. This is filled with reasurring sucess stories though!
Lyn
Awesome book! Great detailed information. Even has a section that has a list of calories burned per minute while doing various cardio activity - including those you do while gardening. An entire exercise guide - including pictures and tips. This is the best book I've found yet.
Alaina
This is the best book I've read about nutrition for women, with easy to follow steps on how to loose weight and stregthen yourself! A book i've reccomended to anyone wanting to know the correct and easy way to get in shape the 90 days challenge is gReat!!!

• Eating for Life: Your Guide to Great Health, Fat Loss and Increased Energy
  • Ageless: The Naked Truth About Bioidentical Hormones
  • 40 Days to Personal Revolution: 40 Days to Personal Revolution
  • Make The Connection: 10 Steps To A Better Body   And A Better Life
  • The Making of a Nurse
  • Galloway's Book on Running
  • Age Is Just a Number: Achieve Your Dreams at Any Stage in Your Life
  • Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?
  • The Obesity Myth: Why America's Obsession with Weight is Hazardous to Your Health
  • Lifehacker: Upgrade Your Life
  • Sugar Blues
  • The Pilates Body: The Ultimate At-Home Guide to Strengthening, Lengthening and Toning Your Body- Without Machines
  • Moving in His Majesty and Power
  • The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth about What You Should Eat and Why
  • Take Time for Your Life
  • The First Woman Doctor: The Story of Elizabeth Blackwell, M.D.
  • The Truth about Beauty: Transform Your Looks and Your Life from the Inside Out
  • The Complete Prophecies of Nostradamus
Dr. Pamela Peeke is an internationally recognized expert, physician, scientist and author in the fields of nutrition, stress, fitness and public health. On stage or in front of a camera, she combines her trademark energy, wit and humor with the latest scientific data to motivate and educate audiences of all ages to transform themselves for healthy living.

Dr. Peeke is WebMD's lifestyle expert for...more
More about Pamela Peeke...
The Hunger Fix: The Three-Stage Detox and Recovery Plan for Overeating and Food Addiction Fit to Live: The 5-Point Plan to be Lean, Strong, and Fearless for Life Fight Fat After Forty: How to Stop Being a Stress Eater and Lose Weight Fast The National Body Challenge Success Program for the Whole Family