The Warlord's Secret

The Warlord's Secret

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  255 ratings  ·  27 reviews
The demon-possessed Warlord of Tiyan is at war with enemy kingdoms and her own impending madness. She discovers the answer to both her problems in Taran, a slave-turned-scout obsessed with vengeance and determined to have Tiyan and its queen for his own. Fantasy romance. Non-erotica.
Published April 18th 2011 by Createspace (first published April 17th 2011)

Katie's Hellion by Lizzy FordDamian's Oracle by Lizzy FordDamian’s Assassin by Lizzy FordMaddy's Oasis by Lizzy FordKiera's Moon by Lizzy Ford
Indie Eclective
7th out of 56 books — 43 voters
The Mating by Nicky CharlesDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenCutters vs. Jocks by Elizabeth MarxDemon Girl by Penelope Fletcher
Best Free eBooks
80th out of 483 books — 1,010 voters

More lists with this book...

Owen
In compliance with FTC guidelines, I disclose thatI received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

This is little more then generic fantasy plot devices and an overwrought tale of "true love" etc.

There is no pacing in this book. The action progress without reference to any time or travel, making it seem that this entire book takes place over the course of a few hours and in an area the size of a football field. For some great kingdom and its jewel of a city under siege, characters com...more
Heather
I got this book through the First Reads program.

The story was promising: a war-torn land, the hope rests on a man who may turn out to be the enemy and the woman he is destined to love & kill.

The story was the only part. I couldn't connect with the characters. They seemed flat to me. The best character was a bad guy but that was only because I could see his motivations.

I got a bit tired of being told how the characters felt instead of being shown. The man and the woman protagonists 'fell in l...more
sraxe

The reader is pretty much thrown into what feels like the middle of a novel with little to no character development or world building. The pacing was terrible and feelings and motivations of characters were so erratic and most everything felt confusing because it was all over the place.

I also highly dislike insta-love so this was a definite turn-off for me. Vara, one of the characters, even points out that it's been only a week! "You who claimed no loyalty to any kingdom have sworn yourself to T

Linda
This one took me a little time to get into, maybe because the style was a little different from what I got used to with the first books I ready by Lizzy.

Once I did start getting into the story, a part of me also started to get irritated with both Taran and Rissa. He was so focused on getting revenge, it took him awhile to realize that there were people who looked up to him and wanted to rely on him. Rissa could have used his help beyond being her guardian early on, but there was just so much mi...more
Heather andrews
Hate to say this but the book wasn't my cup of tea. Lizzy did a great job at writing and the characters it's just the plot wasn't for me. I enjoyed the fact that Rissa wasn't a damsel in distress and would do anything for her people. Taran Oh. My. God. that man wasnt so much for freedom, but doesn't know what to do as he starts to fall in love. "He deepened the kiss, thrilled when she responded by becoming more demanding, more passionate. She responded with none of the reservation she normally d...more
Kelly
This story was a little uneven and sometimes the action jumped around a bit yet at the same time it was weirdly compelling. I don't know what Lizzy Ford does to pull me in to the point where I can't stop reading, but she does it well.

Plot wise, this was an intriguing book chock full of demons and madness, warlords and honorable former slaves. The characters would sometimes swing from one emotional extreme to another without any reason, but I found myself overlooking those flaws just so I could s...more
Kasey
This was an interesting idea, but the story wasn't very thought out and honestly didn't flow well. In a world with horses for transportation and war on the horizon nothing played as it should. Traveling the length of an entire Kingdom seemed to take mere minutes and the whole book read like this. Conflicts and histories that should have been played up felt as if I was reading a condensed only the highlights parts. I didn't feel like I was drawn into the story or that our characters were rounded...more
Katie
I like Warlord's Secret, not as much as the "Damian" series, but it was good. It flowed well, and was an easy read. I read it in a few hours, so it captured my attention. I was a little confused with the book starting out with an "Excerpt from the Book of the Dead" since I didn't know what The Book of the Dead was, but once I figured that out, all was ok. I actually went back to read that part again. Maybe I'm just a little thick headed :) If you like a good "paranormal" book like I do, that is...more
Emily Liz
This book was great!!!!

Taran was a good character. Even if he was a little bitter because of what happened to him in his childhood. The way the author wrote the character was very impressive. It is very hard to like a character like Taran. Some authors make a big mistake when they make a main characters to mean. Reader tend to lose interest in them and look for other characters to like. I've done that many times. This book was fast pace and it was kinda hard to hate any characters because before...more
Sue
First let me say, I love Lizzy Ford's book! The characters and worlds that she creates are original and exciting. While often the first chapter or two are developmental and confusing (I usually have to reread them)once into the story, it's a page turner. The Warlord's Secret is no exception. I did find the story jumped around at times making it a little hard to follow but I had a hard time putting it down. I was very happy at the end to see that there is potential for the story to continue!
Jill Hunter
Considering this book is described as a fantasy romance, there was very little romance in it. Only two spots and they were brief. Prefect for the romance light types like me. The story is strong and characters well described and believable. There were a few points I just didn’t get, mostly pre-storyline history, which would have made the story more understandable. I prefer my kissing with a-lot of killing thrown in, so this book worked well for me.
Emmanuelle
Another great book by Lizzy Ford. It started off a little slow, but quickly built up speed. By the end of the book, I couldn't put it down.

Throughout the book, it keeps you in suspense as to who exactly is the "good" guy and you sometimes don't even know who to root for. Many twists and turns that keep you on your toes as you're reading. I loved the ending and how you didn't know if they would really succeed at all.

Ashley Soliday
Truth be told this was my least favorite book of Lizzy Ford's I have read and I've read a lot! I can't really say what it was about the book that I didn't care for it just wasn't for me but by no means am I saying it was a bad book. I would tell you if you have read Lizzy's books in the past and liked them give this one a shot too and you might find that you like it.
Amalia Kollarou
It wasn't what I expected. The story was promising but the filing I got was like all the facts took place in 3 days in a small area not in a kingdom. The protagonists where not so powerful as I was expecting to bee due to there roles and they really fell in love VERY quickly. At the end the story closed so quickly and I felt like the author was in a harry to finish it.
Ginelle Blanch
I know that this was meant as a stand alone but, I really with that Ms. Ford would reconsider! Not a very happy book most of the way through but, I love Taran and Rissa, Hilden and Vara! The ending turned out to be really good, I had been a bit concerned for a moment and am still interested in knowing what becomes of Sirian and the demons...
Melissa ownsbey
liked the cover
loved that it had some romance mixed with fanasty
it was great i enjoyed the book very much
i thuoght it sad when taran family his whole familywas murder not good
but i am he found a woman to fought for
it had everyhing i liked in a book if u havent read this book go out and buy it you will like
i loved this book
Ruba
I had high expectations after reading a preview that the over hyped immortal realm is explored in this part.I felt a little disappointed after completing this book though. But it was a lot different than the 2nd and 3rd part of this series. And the story goes very slow.
Debbie
Got this book as a free Kindle download. Finished it within 24 hours. Once you start, you don't want to stop. Hope there's a sequel. Love the characters - Rissa and Taran. Want to know more about their love story. Rissa is an amazing female clan leader.
Cortney
This book was really good! I loved how the ended left it kind of a mystery and it wasn't just a happily ever after. I really like The author so I'm glad this turned out good.
Renee Lippert
I just the book in the mail yesterday, and after work I'm going to start into it! I should note that I received this book from the First Reads Giveaway.
P.A.
The back story is a little confusing until you get further into the story. Once into the story it's page turning action that will keep you reading.
Heather
The story was interesting and a bit dark. I enjoyed the action and characters. The only draw back was that the story jumped around a bit.
Janell
Interesting premise, but I found myself pushing through to finish...looking for something interesting to happen - it didn't.
sharon
This story has lots of twists and turns and good and evil is not so easily seen great book
Ruby
very underwhelming. flat characters and boring plot. i'd skip this one.
Amber Griffith
I won this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Thank you.
Bea
Bea marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Torie
Torie marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
The warlord's Secret, Discussion 1 5 Sep 21, 2011 09:38PM
  • Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (Niki Slobodian, #3)
  • The Indie Eclective: The Halloween Collection
  • Evren: Enter the Dragonette
  • Silver Moon (Moon Trilogy, #3)
  • A Scandalous Past (Scandalous, #4)
  • Worlds Unseen
  • Micah's Magick (Elemental Witches, #4.5)
  • Dawn of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #0.5)
  • Chocolate Covered Billionaire Navy SEAL
  • Rowena Through the Wall
  • Rourk (Keegan's Chronicles, #3.5)
  • Spellbound (Legend, #1)
  • Sin and Sacrifice (Daughters of Eve, #1)
  • Birthrights (The Awakening Trilogy #1)
  • Quinn, a Vampire Watcher's Story (Royal Blood Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Stone's Kiss (The Avatars, #1)
  • The Wish (The Devil's Lover, #1)
  • Wanted (Thief of Hearts Trilogy, #1)
Lizzy Ford is the author of over seventeen novels written for young adult and adult paranormal romance readers, to include the internationally bestselling Rhyn Trilogy, Witchling Trilogy and the War of Gods series. Considered a freak of nature by her peers for the ability to write and release a commercial quality novel in under a month, Lizzy has focused on keeping her readers happy by producing b...more
More about Lizzy Ford...
Damian's Oracle (War of Gods, #1) Katie's Hellion (Rhyn Trilogy, #1) Zoey Rogue (Incubatti, #1) Katie's Hope (Rhyn Trilogy, #2) Dark Summer (The Witchling, #1)