Start by marking “Seven Minutes to Noon” as Want to Read:
Seven Minutes to Noon

Seven Minutes to Noon

On a day that seems perfectly ordinary, Alice Halpern waits for her best friend Lauren at Carroll Park, the Brooklyn playground where they meet with their children every afternoon. But when Lauren doesn't arrive, and then fails to pick her son up from school, a normal day transforms into a nightmare.

The police desperately search for Lauren, who is nearly nine months pregna
Nook, 274 pages
Published May 2nd 2011 by Blue Table Books (first published May 3rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Minutes to Noon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Minutes to Noon

Chana
Jan 24, 2009 Chana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
A mediocre mystery/thriller. The police were busy but never really solved anything to completion. The story was sordid and pitiful. The author throws out so many red herrings that I thought I was swimming in a school of fish. The best scene in the book is the one where our main character talks to the butcher in the walk-in freezer, that was tense and creepy. The most realistic mystery/horror element in the book is the price of housing in Brooklyn.
VLynch
May 07, 2012 VLynch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, drama
Katia Lief is one of my favorite authors right now. I found her books to be affordable on Barnes and Noble and I have purchased all that she has written. (I love affordable Ebooks!). This book is very good in the "oh my gosh, what if this happened to someone you know" feeling. I could not help but to actually feel scared for the characters and hope that all turned out well for them in the end. Can you imagine if your wife/husband never returned home one day? How your entire life would turn upsid ...more
Suzanne
3 friends who had children, went to the park together. 2 of whom owned a business. 2 were pregnant at the same time. One of the pregnant women was reported missing. She also had a husband and a 5 yr old son. 2 days later, she was found dead. Her unborn baby was stolen from her as well.
UGH!! How could anybody do that? Crude C-section!! Give me the shivers just thinging about it. Was this a black market scam or what? Did one of the friends--wives or husbands-- commit such a violent acts?? Definite
Victoria
Jul 21, 2009 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book interesting in the way it made me suspicious of first one character, then another. I always like mysteries that I can't figure out right away. This story is told from the point of view of a pregnant woman friend of the first victim rather than from the detectives who solve the crime, so we never know completely what the detectives know. The plot was maybe a little far-fetched, but it was good escapist summer reading.
Zan
Oct 13, 2008 Zan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually read thrillers, but a friend of mine from college wrote this book, and I'm glad she did. It takes place in the familiar neighborhood of Carroll Gardens, in the familiar social network of a certain type of woman with young children in such neighborhoods, and the victim is one of our own... creepy. But "Kate Pepper" evokes this world with a sureness of touch and ample detail. I guess I'm a sucker for books that take place in Brooklyn.
Karen
Jun 26, 2008 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Karen by: Rochelle Hadad
Shelves: entertainment
I learned that I don't like suspense. Once, I watched "wait until dark" starring Audrey Hepburn. and literally jumped out of my seat and ran in to the other room... I should have known that reading suspenseful books would be worse :) Otherwise a good read.
Debrah
Sep 09, 2012 Debrah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was third or so Katia Lief book and my last. Didn't enjoy the characters, storyline was hard to believe and ending was abrupt and because I hate to finish a book, found myself skipping through to the end.
Gloria
Aug 04, 2009 Gloria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
I love this book, your interest is peaked after page 2 and you can't put it down!!!
Singletary
Dec 07, 2012 Singletary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Singletary by: yard sale, I got taken
WARNING: May contain a spoiler!

I wish there were an option for no stars.

This is a really horrible book. The author blathers uncontrollably with drivel. I had a hard time keeping characters straight. Probably because I lost interest in the story so many times. As for Sylvie, I still don't know who she was, or Analise, for that matter. Was one of them really Judy's daughter?
Now, the thing that makes this SO unbelievable...A little background first. Lauren is a friend of Alice. They are both preg
Margaret
Mar 30, 2012 Margaret rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disconcertingly cosy view of Brooklyn - that also never mentions Manhattan.
It was OK - especially since it cost all of 50p - but curiously uninvolving and certainly never scary.
My main gripe (trivial though it is) is that on my eReader I only ever get the option of small / medium / large font & always go with small but in this edition the small font is too large - barely 2 paragraphs per page. It wasn't as bad as when you accidentally pick up a large-print book & it shouts at you but it
Tracy Santoria
This is a hard book to review. I read it on a recommendation from someone. I wanted something other than the romance novels that were filling up my nook so I figured why not.
I know it's going to be a great book when I have a hard time putting it down. Unfortunately I was able to put this one down. Don't get me wrong, the book was good but it dragged in areas and failed to keep my attention.
The concept of the story was great but the presentation could have used more work.
I rated this 3 stars b
Vanessa Mellor
Oct 05, 2014 Vanessa Mellor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Katie Lief is very talented, the way she writes brings you into the story like your there in the middle of it all, the small attention to detail makes her stories so real life. Found it very hard to stop reading as was dreading but excited about what was to happen next. You won't be disappointed I promise. Great read (as all her books)
Kaethe
Jun 11, 2009 Kaethe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
lamish, not all that suspenseful, hard to relate to people who describe others as greedy while trying to buy a 1.2 million dollar home, weirdly neglectful of the children while deifying pregnancy
Ruby Regnier
This is a mystery book; It has an attractive female detective an FBI profiler and the author makes it all a very "sit on the edge of your chair" type of book.

The reason I read mystery books is to try & figure out the clues to solve the mystery.
DarkMaron
Dec 13, 2015 DarkMaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Das erste Buch was ich von Kate Pepper gelesen habe und war gleich sehr zufrieden damit. Eine Schwangere Frau und ein Mörder, der Schreibstil einfach sehr gut umgesetz in der Geschichte. Hat spaß gemacht zu lesen.
Leonie Byrne
Apr 02, 2013 Leonie Byrne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic little novel from Katia Lief this one however disappointed me in some ways purely for the fact it was quite predictable and a not quite as fast and intense as some of her other novels but overall a good read!
Dennis Cook
Aug 25, 2012 Dennis Cook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: katia-lief
Another really great book. It was full of twists and unexpected outcomes - - I would recommend this to any reader who likes a mystery suspense.
Courtnei
Dec 22, 2012 Courtnei rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the story. The characters were believable and the story was full of twists and turns. It was a good mystery with just enough suspense...
Gen
Sep 07, 2014 Gen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Slow-paced and too long drawn-out. I found myself just scanning the second half of the book, trying to get the big mystery. And when it came, it was a little underwhelming.
Lili
Apr 25, 2012 Lili rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction, kindle
An interesting story with an overly involved plot and very little action. I found the author tended to waffle at times making some passages overly long.
Cassandra
Jun 01, 2012 Cassandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book up until the last chapter. Terrible ending. It was pointless. If the author wasn't going to properly explain then she should've just left it out.
Melissa
Sep 11, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars--Read when author was called Kate Pepper. Exciting and suspenseful through most of the book but the ending just fell apart. Pregnant woman goes missing.
Lisa Currier
This is an average murder mystery. There were alot of suspects to keep the action going. I didn't really like the ending, it seemed rushed.
Tania
Dec 05, 2013 Tania rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is my 3rd Katia Lief book and by far the worst. Dont know why I continued to read it. I really liked Alice and wanted the book to be good but to no avail!!!!
Dawn
Nov 04, 2008 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a goos suspense novel.
This was an "edge of your seat" suspense novel. I really enjoyed it. This was the second book I've read by this author. So far she is two for two.
Joanne
Aug 30, 2008 Joanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much slower than her first book - "Five Days in Summer". I read it because I liked the authors first ever book. I have "Here She Lies" just waiting for me to read.
Lisa
Mar 02, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tale of murder, tragedy touches the lives of friends, a killer on the loose in Brooklyn with a taste for pregnant women, not the best book in the world but I have read worse
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Esme
Esme rated it did not like it
Mar 12, 2011
Donnamw
Donnamw rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2012
  • Without a Sound
  • No One Heard Her Scream (No One, #1)
  • The Cruelest Cut
  • Cruelty To Innocents (The 911 Abductions, #1)
  • On the Ropes (The Duffy Dombrowski Mysteries, #1)
  • My Sister's Keeper
  • Saving Scott (Pine Hills Police, #3)
  • The Brain Vault (Stephanie Chalice Mystery #3)
  • The Final Kill
  • التعويذة الغامضة
  • Summer of Secrets
  • Final Breath
  • Edith
  • Bewitching Kisses
  • Section 8 (Jim Vaughn, #1)
  • Soul Restoration: Hope for the Weary