Start by marking “Complete Poems” as Want to Read:
Complete Poems

Complete Poems

3.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  272 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Ernest Hemingway never wished to be widely known as a poet. He concentrated on writing short stories and novels, for which he won the Nobel Prize in 1956. But his poetry deserves close attention, if only because it is so revealing. Through verse he expressed anger and disgust—at Dorothy Parker and Edmund Wilson, among others. He parodied the poems and sensibilities of Rudy ...more
Published January 1st 1983 by Bison Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Complete Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Complete Poems

Bob Nichols
Sep 18, 2015 Bob Nichols rated it did not like it
Most of this collection didn’t resonate. Much of it was “inside” stuff – messages, of the “get back at” sort, directed at or to be understood by certain individuals. Some of the language was racist, or edgy and course (“whores and bitches”). There are photographs, and copies of his poems as works in progress. The second poem in this collection is titled “Blank Verse.” It consists of punctuation marks only, void of content. The editor’s note explains that this was the high school Hemingway’s “lit ...more
Bonny
Oct 27, 2011 Bonny rated it did not like it
This book was extremely disappointing. I love Hemingway's novels and short stories, but can now state without any hesitation whatsoever, how much I hate his poetry. I can count on one hand the moments I felt any kind of brilliance here. What does it say when this poem from seventeen year old Hemingway is my favorite?(!!!!!):

[Blank Verse]

“ “
! : , .
, , , .
, ; !
1916

This poem at least has some wit and humor.

The editor tries to sell it all as some kind of special portal into Hemingway's psyche,
Stephanos Athenasios
Feb 18, 2008 Stephanos Athenasios rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised to come across this book. It is a little embarassing to admit, but until a week ago, I didn't know ol' Ernie wrote enough poetry to be collected. Not every piece is a winner, but overall it is strong enough to warrant a solid read from anyone who's enjoyed his more seminal works.
Steph
Mar 31, 2014 Steph rated it really liked it
Contrary to most of the disappointed reviewers, I have not yet read any of Hemingway's classics. That being said, I was amused by his poetry. The forward says quite clearly that he didn't want to be known as a poet and many of his poems are obviously parodies (and/or the product of heavy drinking).

I smile every time I think about this line:
"And I'd rather eat shrimp salad,
(Tho' the Lord knows how I hate the pink and scrunchy little beasts)"

And the childish:
"Home is where the heart is, home is wh
June Geiger
Oct 11, 2011 June Geiger marked it as to-read
Tempted to create a new MUST READ shelf for this one.
A.
Mar 01, 2010 A. rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
This is what I learned from this book:

If you sneeze on a piece of paper, then you become famous, then you die,

or

If you sneeze on a piece of paper, then you die, then you become famous,

that piece of paper becomes a treasure!...or perhaps a national treasure!

Not sure how many pages the Editor/Publisher wasted in this book to show us, the readers, some photos of hand written notes and scraps....as if we, the readers, can recognize Hemingway's hand writing when we see it!lol

....as if the Editor/Publ
Jake
May 29, 2012 Jake rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Hemingway's one hell of a novelist, but I can't say he's one hell of a poet. There's poetry in and to his works of fiction. They're beautiful, just gorgeous tales of love and loneliness. His complete collection of poems starts off with dopey rhymes, like they were for kids sports magazines at the time. It's hard to believe the same man who barreled through life would rhyme so many obvious words. But a decade or two after the Great War settled in him, sometime around the second one that conquered ...more
Claudia
Mar 23, 2015 Claudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Biografia con foto dell'appassionante vita di Hemingway. La Parigi bohemienne, l'Africa selvaggia, Cuba, l'America, l'Italia.
Quest'uomo però cacciava un pò troppo per i miei gusti, abbatteva elefanti e gazzelle come fossero formiche.
Terrificante la foto 67, ritratto di famiglia in cui la didascalia spiega come siano morti: il padre di Ernest si suicidò, un fratello si suicidò, una sorella si suicidò, lo stesso scrittore si suicidò la mattina del 2 luglio 1961. Direi che nessuno possa avere dub
Olivia
Jan 11, 2015 Olivia rated it liked it
I got this book with good things in mind from other friends about Ernest Hemingway. I wasn't familiar with any works from Hemingway. When becoming acquainted with a few of his poems I felt at times they were childish, at times I thought they were provocative, and some poems were tragic. Despite the other reviews of his poetry, I say he might of been a better novelist but he was a pretty good poet!
Andrew
Apr 19, 2014 Andrew rated it liked it
If you are interested in Hemingway this book is kinda important. It includes his poems and background notes about the context, people, and places mentioned. The poems are pretty good too.
Baiocco
Jun 01, 2008 Baiocco rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Cutthroat Ecstasy. I guess that's how I would describe the relationship I had with the girlfriend who gave me this book. The girl, on her own, was incredible. She gave me this book for valentine's day and circled a poem for me to read and left me a little note. To this day it remains the only poem I've bothered to memorize and is one of my favorites. And that I am just now rediscovering poetry and realizing I like the short one's and she would send me the following makes me really want to run in ...more
Trevor Frese
Feb 20, 2016 Trevor Frese rated it it was amazing
What a genius. Still remember my favorite poem from this guy:
"I'm oft'n wild wimmuns
and Cognac,
and sinning,
for I'm in lOOOOOOVEEE."

Genius
Kaleigh Vaughn
Jan 25, 2016 Kaleigh Vaughn rated it it was amazing
Completed this book on my flight to New York. It set quiet the tone.
Chingsin
Apr 09, 2014 Chingsin rated it did not like it
the first half of the book was unbearable, maybe because i preferred his prose than poems
Brian
Nov 30, 2013 Brian rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I enjoyed two things about this book very much: the editor's notes that accompanied most of the poems; and the fact that Hemingway was such an awful poet, which gives me confidence. He really was just so bad; it's incredible. It seems that he knew he was awful, which is good. There are a handful of decent lines and ideas scattered throughout, but this is a very sad collection, and I don't recommend it for anything other than satisfying scholastic curiosity.
Haythem Bastawy
Feb 23, 2013 Haythem Bastawy rated it liked it
Not many of the poems are brilliant, a stark difference between Hemingway the novelist and Hemingway the poet and he knew that, hence he left most of his poems unpublished during his life-time, only after his death we got a chance to read them.

Nevertheless the book is important, as a fan of Hemingway's prose I could see Hemingway the man in his poetry and I could relate the moments of anger, desire and loneliness in his poems to their counterparts in his novels.
Vincent
Jun 18, 2014 Vincent rated it it was ok
Some few gems, though no diamonds, in the rough; clearly poetry was just a vehicle for him to reach his destination and not his preferred method of travel.
Danny Hampson
Sep 21, 2010 Danny Hampson rated it liked it
Ernest Hemmingway was never known as a poet and this book is a testimony to why. Many of the poems feel rushed and underdeveloped, like Hemmingway never intended to have them published (the collection was first published in 1979). However, their are a few outstanding pieces that help to redeem the collection. Even at their worst the poetry offers an intresting perspective on Hemmingway for the serious fan.
E. T. Brother
Mar 29, 2015 E. T. Brother rated it it was ok
Very pitiful.
Chelsea
May 03, 2009 Chelsea rated it really liked it
I'm not a poetry person but for some reason (during a shopping therapy trip) I bought this book. Some poems didn't really catch my attention but others I loved! I was pleasantly surprised at his humorous poems... honestly I was expecting an entire book of serious, well-detailed, philosophical poetry.
Michael
Aug 13, 2008 Michael rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Hemingway wasn't a poet! This was full of racism, anger, and silly rhymes. It harms his brilliant writing. This stuff would never have been published if it wasn't for his success as a writer.
Eckhard
Aug 29, 2008 Eckhard rated it liked it
He may have been a first-rate novelist, but these poems are pretty pathetic. However, some of them are superbly albeit unintentionally funny. Who can resist "Ezra Pound is the shit"?
Sarah Wentworth
May 03, 2008 Sarah Wentworth rated it it was amazing
Don't like his novels? Try this. Witty. Crass. Sexist. Drunk.
Dec 10, 2007 Laura rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: is a hardcore hemingway fan
I love Hemingway, but he should have stuck with the prose...
Jennifer Snyder
Jan 03, 2013 Jennifer Snyder rated it really liked it
I have always preferred Hemingway's poetry to his prose.
Nick Ernst
Apr 21, 2013 Nick Ernst rated it liked it
There were about 3-4 that were great, that was it.
Sam Scholes
Dec 12, 2008 Sam Scholes rated it did not like it
Hemingway should have stuck to prose...
Katherine Clare
Jul 05, 2011 Katherine Clare rated it did not like it
Awful. Just awful.
Mackie
Mackie marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
  • Veinte poemas de amor y una canción desesperada / Los versos del capitán
  • Hemingway: a Life Story
  • A Lovely Love Story
  • Serial killer: storie di ossessione omicida
  • Sixty Poems
  • Antologia Poetica
  • The Celebrated Jumping Frog and Other Stories
  • I Has a Hotdog: What Your Dog Is Really Thinking
  • St. Mawr
Ernest Miller Hemingway was an American author and journalist. His economical and understated style had a strong influence on 20th-century fiction, while his life of adventure and his public image influenced later generations. Hemingway produced most of his work between the mid-1920s and the mid-1950s, and won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1954. He published seven novels, six short story collec ...more
More about Ernest Hemingway...