Betrayal (Haunting Emma, #2)

Betrayal (Haunting Emma #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,869 ratings  ·  181 reviews
Emma Vaile is the most powerful ghostkeeper in centuries. Which is great when she's battling the wraith-master Neos, but terrible when she's flirting with fellow ghostkeeper (and soul mate) Bennett. When ghostkeepers fall in love, the weaker one loses all power, and that's not something Bennett can handle. Heartbroken and alone, Emma tries to lose herself in school with fe...more
Paperback, UK Edition, 288 pages
Published September 5th 2011 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betrayal

Melissa
I was lucky to get my hands on an advanced review copy. LOVED it. I love the way Lee Nichols writes--one minute I'm laughing and the next I'm scared, on the edge of my seat.

"Here's the thing about ghostkeepers. When we die, we die. There's no coming back like other people. But people like Coby could be summoned. Or at least their ghosts could."

And then she summons him, even though she's blamed for his death in the first place . . .

Could not put this book down!
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

If there's something strange in your neighborhood, who you gonna call? – Emma Vaile! She may be only seventeen, but she’s the most powerful ghostkeeper in generations. She can summon, communicate, and dispell ghosts back to the Beyond. She’s like the Buffy version of a ghostbuster, minus all the punning, though she does have a brooding boyfriend and in BETRAYAL, even gets a Giles-like teacher.

Buffy comparisons aside (always a good thing), BETRAYAL does...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Reviewed for MM's by Sophie:

I picked up Betrayal right as I finished Deception (see link for review) and let me tell you, Mundie Moms, I was filled with anxiety (in a good way). We know by now all about Emma’s strength and her legacy. But, Deception ended with such a reveal that I was left thinking, “Oh boy, how will this work out?” Those are the best kind of endings, aren’t they? A reveal not a cliff-hanger. I think so.

So, on to Betrayal and my non-spoilery thoughts. We all know, as readers, th...more
Sammee (I Want to Read That)
Having really enjoyed Deception I picked up this one as soon as I'd finished the first one.

Now that Emma knows she is a Ghostkeeper and understands what it means she throws herself into her role. This installment is much more action packed than the first and there is still the romance and mystery element to keep me hooked!

The characters really develop in this one too. Emma becomes much stronger - and more accepting of her abilities. Her relationship with Bennett is still a driving force of the s...more
Lauren
Ever since reading the promising start to this trilogy, I've been dying to know what will happen to next to Emma, Bennett, and all the other ghostkeepers and their friends, family, and enemies I came to love and even hate in some cases. Thankfully enough Betrayal was a fabulous continuation to this rock solid series. I'll even go so far to say this was even better than the first one- something I thought would be nearly impossible!

Betrayal starts shortly after Deception ended with Emma picking u...more
Emma (BelleBooks)
Betrayal is the second book in the Haunting Emma series by Lee Nichols
Betrayal starts up right where we left Emma in the first book Deception and she is still coming to terms with the loss of two of her close friends. She is confused about her and Bennett's relationship, they both want to be together but can't as they are both ghostkeepers and Bennett will lose his powers. So until they find a way to defeat Neo's they both have to keep their distance and their feelings under control.

The story pr...more
Brob
I was really excited for the continuation of Emma’s story. The plot was still amazing in this book as Nichols has brought a whole new concept to the paranormal genre. I love the world that she has created with the different types of ghostkeepers. The reason Emma is so impressive is that she has all the powers that everyone else has independently and then some. In the second book her powers continue to grow exponentially and she proves what a loyal and protective person she is.

There are several...more
Aydrea
I loved Deception (the first book) and I have been waiting to read Betrayal and it did not disappoint. There were some great twists in this one & I wasn't sure what I believed. The thing I love best about this series is Emma because she is such a great character. She has things thrown at her and she has taken everything in stride. She has grown to be very kick butt, however she still has issues. Emma is a strong person but you can still relate to her. I was glad that Natalie, Coby, Sara, Har...more
Looksie (At Looksie Lovitz: Books and Wits Blog)
Betrayal picks up right where Deception left off so if you haven't read the first book, this review might not make any sense so back up and read the first. It's a cute and short series and it's a serious page turner.

Emma had to deal with a missing family, the discovery of becoming a ghostkeeeper, a strange past, and a hot/cold relationship with the ever addictive Bennett. Oh and there is this evil ghost thing called Neos. Emma must over come it all. Bennett has finally admitted his feelings for...more
Lyndsey Rushby
I loved, loved, loved the first book in this series, Deception, and as soon as this book came through my door I started reading until I was at the very end.

Due to Emma now knowing what she is and what she can do, there was a lot more action in this book compared to Deception. The fight is on to finally get rid of Neos and Emma and her new gang of ghostkeepers are on the case of figuring everything out. The other ghostkeepers are much more experienced than Emma though so when things begin to go...more
Karen & Gerard
Betrayal by Lee Nichols continues from where Deception left off and is just as good, if not even better! There is a lot of action fighting ghosts in this book and also her love life with Bennett heats up. Her friendships at school fall apart but then when she finally tells the truth about Coby, they are restored. There is a lot of ghost fighting action in this book and Simon and Lukas are assigned by the Knell to help Emma. The fun and humor continue with Coby in ghost form continuing to hang ou...more
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)

"As chilling and page-turning as Deception, this sequel will grab readers and hold them to the last page."

I agree one hundred percent, Deception was a great read and Betrayal is just as good if not better. Things are quickly changing for the ghostkeepers. Everything they thought was impossible is all of a sudden possible, and everything they believed to be rumored is real after all.

As Emma learns to deal with her friend's death and the weird relationship she has with Bennett, she has to also lea...more
Kathryn (Beastie Books)
I thought this was a good continuation of the series, but I didn't like it as much as Deception and I wasn't left with very strong feelings about it.

The summary makes it seem like the entire plot is dedicated to finding out who the traitor is, when really that happens in only the last few chapters. The ending itself was a little too rushed for me. I felt like so much was happening in such a short amount of time. I didn't have time to process everything that had been learned and that had happene...more
Tasha
Emma is dealing with a whole lot of issues - some more normal than others. She's in love with a boy she can't be with; she doesn't know where her parents are; her friends blame her for Coby's death ... As well as all of this, she's one of the most powerful ghostkeepers there is and so it's down to her to stop Neos, the wraith-master.

This second book continues pretty much right off from where the first one finished. I liked that there was only a small amount of recapping and that the story got go...more
Reading Vacation
I fell in love with ghostkeepers Emma and Bennett in Deception, the first book in this series. They wanted to be together, but Bennett would lose his power to the more powerful Emma. I enjoyed how they innocently struggled with their feelings.

This time around, Bennett goes missing for a good part of the book. While he is gone, Emma is sad, but she hooks up with some new ghostkeepers and her loyal friend Natalie. When Bennett finally returns, Emma realizes that he has changed and it’s not for the...more
Stefanie
This is a fun, fast read. I am learning about the difference between great YA fiction and just fun stories. My favorite YA books - Hunger Games, Matched, Delirium - tell stories of young girls figuring out who they are and usually involve some kind of romance. This series does too. The difference, though, is that the really good ones also hold up a mirror to our culture and offer some kind of social commentary, whether it's about our taste for violence, the slippery slope of reality television o...more
Krista
ARC review.

Betrayal is a fantastic installment in the Haunting Emma series. In this second outing Bennett pops up here and there but there are compelling reasons for his absence. His absence gives the reader a chance to get to know the other people in Emma's world and to view the real bonds she is forming with her new "family". (Right now her "real" family's actions and motivations are so confusing and unclear.) I found myself questioning and doubting everyone right along with Emma and this book...more
Kandi
This was amazing! 4.5 stars really, an improvement from the last book, Deception. MY FAVOURITE out of the three

Gosh, I love the mystery, suspense and action! It was really exciting, heart stopping and intriguing to read.

I love Emma's team! They are all so funny together and I love her growing friendship with Natalie as well (:

Nicholas!! OMG I can't believe it was him! I did sort of believe for a fleeting second if he had something to do with this but I waved it off thinking he was too innocent...more
Amy
Book 2 in this series, even better than the first! Loving this series, quick easy reads but very interesting and entertaining too. Love the bits of humor. All the characters are great. This book shed light on who Neos is and why he is so evil and power hungry. I still haven't fully understood about Emma's parents and brother.... But I guess some things had to be left for the third book, :).
Bring on book 3! Becky, hurry up and order it, lol. :D
Crazy for Books (Stephanie)
It was good. Not as good as the first. I seemed to have forgotten a few things, because I wasn't clear on a couple of things that were happening. I didn't like how Bennett was so absent in this book, how the parents seemed to creep in for a moment or the brother sent a cryptic message that barely warned of anything. If you're going to help her, help her. I felt like all of it was to drag the story on. With no real result at the end.
Kathy
I liked Betrayal better than the first one Deception, someone Emma trusts and loves is deceiving her and honestly I kept guessing this person, no that person, and back around again until the end and I suprised at who it was...not gonna say though no spoils. I really liked the new guy Lukas and the jock ghosts were hilarious and Harry as always. Looking forward to reading Surrender, hopefully Emma will get the bad guy and also get Bennett too!!
Brianna
I had read the first book in the series back a couple years ago and I found this on the clearance rack and picked it up. I had almost forgotten how I liked the character of Emma and her strength and spunk. I also like Natalie's character as well and they make for good reading.
There is a lot of scary ghosts and wraiths and all manner of things to make you scared. The gore is a little gross but you get thru it because you want to get to the big ending.
Now the ending is set up for a sequel but it's...more
Emily
Page (One Book At A Time)
What's frustrating is when you read the first book in a series and you love it, then wait way to long to read the next one. You build up the first book for so long, that the second is a let down. I think that's what happened here.

I do want to be clear and say the Betrayal is in no way a bad read. I enjoyed it. But, it lacked the spark that the first book had for me. Emma is really lost without Bennett in this story. I don't mind when a character depends on another to a certain degree, but I thou...more
Nina
After reading Deception I couldn’t wait to start Betrayal. Deception was a great start to the Haunting Emma series and I couldn’t wait to find out what was in store for Emma.

Emma is still a likeable character. She is much stronger than in the first book and determined to find Neos & destroy it. Bennett is a bit more likable, but unfortunately now he also has lost his mind. Really, what’s wrong with this guy? I know that if he stays with Emma, he’s going to lose his powers, but what he did wa...more
Lizzy
I really enjoyed Deception, the first book in the Haunting Emma series. Since I loved it so much, I had pretty high expectations for the follow-up, and Nichols was able to live up to them. There's more adventure, romance, and ghosts. Plus, a fairly shocking end to the traitor mystery!

Things haven't been easy for Emma since we left her in Deception. Her old friends blame her for the death of Coby, her relationship with Bennett is unable to move forward, and she still has to worry about Neos. As t...more
Kayleigh {K-Books}
Posted on K-Books

Firstly, I wanna say a big thank you to Bloomsbury for sending me a review copy of this book. I received this along with the first book in the series Deception and as soon as I finished Deception I couldn't wait to start this one.

I really liked this book more than the first one, there's a lot more action than the first one and I loved that.
Betrayal starts right where Deception finished. Emma is the most powerful Ghostkeeper and is put with...more
Karen
Betrayal is the second book in the Haunting Emma series. It was good to catch up with Emma and Natalie and I enjoyed the new characters, Simon and Lukas too. Bennett didn’t appear in this book as much as I’d hoped, but then I wasn’t sure I liked the change in him much, so maybe that’s a good thing.

My favourite characters in the book had to be the ‘friendly’ ghosts. I adored Coby and Anatole. How awesome would it be to have a ghost cook dinner for you? I didn’t enjoy Emma quite so much this time...more
Natframpton

Betrayal was everything I hoped it would be. The series continues right where it left off. Emma has come to terms with being a ghostkeeper and having the lovely Bennet at her side. The story revolves around trying to defeat Neos the wreath master the strongest wreath anyone has ever come across.

Emma and Bennet want to be together but they know it isn't possible whilst Neos is still a threat as Bennet will lose his powers if they are together. It's such a sweet situation and there are some really...more
Idris

Betrayal is the second novel of the series Haunting Emma by Lee Nichols, and I need to say that I really liked this book.

CAUTION.... Some SPOILERS.

The story continues where it ended on the first book, after Cody's death. When Emma finds out that she cannot be with Bennett, because he is going to lose his powers... And when Sara and Harry don't want to talk her because they feel she is responsible for Cody's death. Neos is gaining power, and she is the only one who can stop him.

When I read the...more
  • Dare (Greystone, #2)
  • Shinobi Life, Vol. 03
  • One Hundred Candles (Past Midnight, #2)
  • The Rebel (Roswell High, #8)
  • Blood Fever (The Watchers, #3)
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
  • Wild Ones, Vol. 6 (Wild Ones, #6)
  • The Eve (The Eden Trilogy, #3)
  • A Field Guide to Vampires: Annotated by Lucy Hamilton (Drake Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Dead Rules
  • Tsubasa: Those with Wings, Volume 1
  • Only You (The Mephisto Covenant, #3)
  • Silent Howl (The Blue Bloods, #2)
  • Deathly Contagious (The Contagium #2)
  • Indelible (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #2)
  • The Screaming Season (Possessions, #3)
  • Spellcaster (Spellbound, #2)
Lee Nichols is the author of five novels for adults, including the bestselling TALES OF A DRAMA QUEEN. She'll be making her YA debut in 2010 with DECEPTION: A Haunting Emma Novel. Follow her on Twitter at LeeXNichols or Friend her on Facebook at Lee Nichols. http://www.leenicholsbooks.com/
More about Lee Nichols...
Deception (Haunting Emma, #1) Tales of a Drama Queen Surrender  (Haunting Emma, #3) Hand-Me-Down Wednesday Night Witches (Red Dress Ink)

“Because it's still a heartache. And nothing makes you want to die more than that.” 26 likes
“Lukas grinned at me. "I didn't know how badass you are. That's kind of hot.” 13 likes