Buddha Standard Time: Awakening to the Infinite Possibilities of Now

Buddha Standard Time: Awakening to the Infinite Possibilities of Now

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  261 ratings  ·  30 reviews
We're all given the same twenty-four hours a day.We can spend our time feeling hurried and harried,overwhelmed by chores and demands, distractedand burned out . . . or we can awaken to BuddhaStandard Time, the realm of timelessness whereevery choice, every action, and every breath canbe one of renewal and infinite possibilities.

Buddha Standard Time shares one of the greatr...more
Published May 24th 2011 by HarperCollins e-books

To ask other readers questions about Buddha Standard Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buddha Standard Time

Michele Harrod
I read this book in Buddha Standard Time that's for sure - it has taken a while, but it has felt like dipping into a quiet meditation session with each chapter. This is really beautifully written. I simply get to the end of these sorts of books, and I despair - because I can't understand why we don't teach children a lot of these practices and principles at school.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a nerd. I enjoyed trigonometry and calculus, but neither have served me one dot in my adult life. I left sc...more
Arminzerella
If you’ve ever felt stressed out, overworked, under pressure, underslept, and as though there are not enough hours in the day, this book is for you. Lama Surya Das understands where you’re coming from and can provide you with the tools you need to live in the now, slow down your crazy fast-paced life, and find time in unexpected places. Not only will you slow down, you’ll also become more efficient, more productive and happier if you take time for meditation, reflection, and yourself. Practice e...more
Viv JM
I found this a little disappointing really. There are some nice meditative practices explained, and some interesting scientific theory about the benefits of meditation. Other than that, I didn't feel it offered anything very astounding and was a little too lacking in the Buddha aspect of "Buddha Standard Time" for me personally. It had a self-help-for-stressed-out-executives vibe about it, which wasn't really what I was looking for! Not a bad book, but not exactly life changing either. I think i...more
Daiyaan
I enjoyed the cross cultural and religious references in this book which really helped make it accesible to people who do not necessarily believe in Buddhism. I did however think that the author wasn't always qualified to use draw certain scientific conclusions from evidence that he had gathered, probably, in short articles or from newspapers.

The methods of meditating were useful and should help anyone who reads the book. Overall I think it is an enlightening experiance and would definately rec...more
Paula
Awesome book. Reminded me of many things that I learned on my yoga retreat this summer. Minfulness and living in the present moment is the key to happiness.
Alain Burrese
In the hustle and bustle of today's world, it seems that there is never enough time, and the stress of trying to juggle everything as we worry about the past and feel anxiety about the future keeps us from living the life we really want to enjoy. And while there are many “time management” books that can help, none are quite like “Buddha Standard Time: Awakening To The Infinite Possibilities Of Now” by Lama Surya Das.

Drawing from Buddhist wisdom, this book will appeal to Buddhists and non-Buddhis...more
Bryce Holt
A life-changing reminder of how we perceive time and its effects incorrectly in the modern world. Lama Surya Das is a Jewish Long Islander converted to Buddhism back in the 60's/70's, so his relationship to growing up in an American lifestyle, converting to Buddhism and then reestablishing himself into the American landscape with his Buddhist practices proved utterly fascinating to me.

You know, this book helped me breathe. I realized just how little I was focusing on breathing, and that slight...more
Al
An interesting discourse on various methods, mostly involving meditation, of controlling stress and finding harmony in one's life by focusing on the present. Most of the ideas are quite practical, although there is a certain amount of "technical" Buddhist material. There is also the normal profusion of anecdotal material, included to make the lessons more palatable (and salable), and to make a book out of what could otherwise have been a medium length article.
Djrmel
Stop and smell the roses.

Repeat.

Choose your relationship with the universe from the menu of any religion or philosophy, leaving out the parts that dwell on the past of stress you about the future.

Now stop and smell the roses some more.

Snark aside, I actually thought this was a decent book for bits and bobs about how to dwell in the present.

ETA: Okay, that was a damn with faint praise sort of review, and this book deserves better than that. Case in point, this morning when I was mentally going o...more
Maxine
Repetitive, too long, and a bit too wishy-washy and spiritual for me. This also took me a long while to read. I lost interest halfway through and really only made myself read the rest of it (again, repetitive). Although this is a short book, it probably could have been shorter.

There are some good ideas and practices in this book, but overall I didn't love it, or Surya Das's writing style. But, I think I will try and take some of the ideas from this book and try and incorporate them into my life...more
Linda Hollingsworth
How to make the most of every moment would be an alternate title for this wonderful book by Lama Surya Das; he paraphrased it as, "being there while getting there, every single step of the way." Great wisdom unfolds throughout this book in a way that not only turns the light on for us, but also shines that light on the path. He does this with clear description that stimulates self-recognition and exercises that allow us to practice the change we want in our lives. I've already read this book sev...more
Gloriavirtutisumbra
This book is totally not what i thought it would be, and i'm not sure how i feel about it. Yes there's lots of good information and good ideas in it. But it feels cobbled together, ad-hoc out of a therapy bargain bin. He does have some excellent points as to how we experience time, and how we can reclaim it for our own sanity and spirituality. Just be sure to bring a sieve along when you read it so you can winnow out what you need and let the rest go.
Anna
This was really good for me. It's the kind of book I will keep handy at home. Some of the breathing and simple meditation exercises are just right for me. I don't see myself getting into lengthy meditation sessions, but short meditation and relaxation practices are something I really value. Also the idea that some of my regular daily activities can become more meaningful if I approach them with more purpose and intentionality.

Audra
Much of this book is common sense, strategies that we know of but cannot seem to bring ourselves to do here in the 21st century. I loved the emphasis on small, easily attainable action steps. It reminded me that even in the busy life of a preschool teacher, there are moments when I can "breathe, smile, relax." I especially love the constant connection back to the natural world. And I will be sharing this book with others.
Christopher Kijowski
I have always enjoyed the Lama's writing. It is simple and straightforward which works well for most of us because we complicate things so easily. The ideas contained within the book are simple to follow. They do work if you will only do the work. Many of us purchase a book such as this expecting to find long lasting answers; answers which allow us to continue to cruise through life as if on cruise control.
Chris
I just started reading the intro to this book and it had me hooked. A very thoughtful and introspective book for believers and non-believers. One of those books you will buy not only for yourself to refer to and reread but to give to friends. The author feels like an intimate friend by the time you finish the book. What a guy! I need to stop typing and go meditate now. Breathe in!!
JRobin Whitley
When I first ordered this book I expected more of a focus on meditation. While meditation is part of the book it comes across more as a time management book. Lama Surya Das gives good examples of how meditation can benefit one's life. It is a good book even if it is more business like that I prefer.
Rachel
This is the Tricycle Book Club October selection and the author Lama Surya Das is participating in the book discussions online.

Kathleen
Absolutely fantastic! Although not new information, it is intriguing and well written. No matter your religion, if you are interested in breaking out of your routine and living in the present, it's a must read.
Celestia
Insightful book. Helpful for a fellow writer and teacher who would like to share the teachings of happiness and well-being in our "busy-body" society.
Jen
it brought me back to sanity at a time i needed to be reminded of what is important in life and less focused on the craziness that is life.
Larry James
Buddha Standard Time is a joy to read and to learn from, I highly recommend this book and it's timely, elegant messages to all.
Nathan J.
Another definitive guide to finding Buddha in everyday life. Lama Surya Das is a true spiritual master accesible by all.
Philip
Worthwhile writings about living in the present moment with enormously practical advice on achieving this kind of mindfulness.
Tina
You certainly don't have to be a Buddhist to appreciate the tips for recognizing and living in the present moment.
Amy C
This has some nice passages on slowing down, aging, creating a personal sabbath, and facing death.
Chalice
This book was very repetitive. Didn't share anything new that wouldn't have been guessed prior to reading.
Gabriel M. Clarke
Thin, repetitive, trite, lacking in any substantial value. Well-meaning.
Sue
Love the practice tips on how to slow down and enjoy life.
  • Rebel Buddha: On the Road to Freedom
  • The Heart of Understanding: Commentaries on the Prajnaparamita Heart Sutra
  • Awakening Joy: 10 Steps That Will Put You on the Road to Real Happiness
  • Bringing Home the Dharma: Awakening Right Where You Are
  • One Dharma: The Emerging Western Buddhism
  • Dancing with Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • Hooked!: Buddhist Writings on Greed, Desire, and the Urge to Consume
  • The Heart of the Revolution: The Buddha's Radical Teachings on Forgiveness, Compassion, and Kindness
  • Not Always So: Practicing the True Spirit of Zen
  • Living Beautifully: with Uncertainty and Change
  • Stages Of Meditation
  • The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion: Freeing Yourself from Destructive Thoughts and Emotions
  • A Year to Live: How to Live This Year as If It Were Your Last
  • The Five Things We Cannot Change: And the Happiness We Find by Embracing Them
  • Be Love Now
  • Joyful Wisdom: Embracing Change and Finding Freedom
  • Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness: Walking the Buddha's Path
Lama Surya Das is one of the foremost Western Buddhist meditation teachers and scholars, one of the main interpreters of Tibetan Buddhism in the West, and a leading spokesperson for the emerging American Buddhism. The Dalai Lama affectionately calls him “The Western Lama.”

Surya has spent forty years studying Zen, vipassana, yoga, and Tibetan Buddhism with the great masters of Asia, including the D...more
More about Lama Surya Das...
Awakening the Buddha Within: Eight Steps to Enlightenment Letting Go of the Person You Used to Be: Lessons on Change, Loss, and Spiritual Transformation Buddha Is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living Awakening the Buddhist Heart: Integrating Love, Meaning, and Connection into Every Part of Your Life Awakening to the Sacred: Creating a Personal Spiritual Life