4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Rhyming has never been so much fun as in Steve Webb's bold, new picture book, which encourages children to read aloud, following the easy and catchy rhythm of the text.

"Skunka Tanka
Skunka Tanka
Tanka Tanka Skunk!
They've got the beat, and so do their friends."

"Meet Tanka and his friend, Skunk. When you say their names together, they sound like drums!"

Steve Webb's innovative...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Orchard (first published August 18th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Tanka Tanka Skunk!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tanka Tanka Skunk!

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinBark, George by Jules FeifferThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
52nd out of 286 books — 125 voters
Fetch by Adam Glendon SidwellChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Turtle Wish by Murielle CyrSilly Sally by Audrey WoodBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
Toddlers Ages 1-3
129th out of 144 books — 47 voters

More lists with this book...

Grace Abwooli
Tanka Tanka Skunk by Steve Webb is one of my personal favourites. Tanka is the elephant and his friend Skunka a skunk. The book doesn’t follow a story or plot of some sort, but is more about words, musicality and rhythm.

The illustrations are vibrant, colourful and eye catching. Also, the background stripes are cleverly designed to help keep the beat as one reads. The book also teaches children the names of different animals such as: panda, panther, tiger, zebra, alligator, fox, tiny little hair...more
Tharema Alim
Tanka Tanka skunk written by Steve Webb was a book I was introduced to when I was working in a primary school and I used it in my phonics lessons when teaching them syllables. It is filled with pictures of different animals and insects such as polar bear, tiger and caterpillar, and it captivates the reader with all the different colours and also helps them learn the different animals at the same time.
The book starts off with “stamp your feet to the skunka tanka beat”, in which you have to stamp...more
Nasima Begum
I'm an adult and i loved this book! It made me want to read the book out aloud with the rhythm. This book is very good! It's about an elephant called Tanka and skunk called Skunka. It goes through the book with lots of different animals and in some pages what noises some animals make. The book is a musical genre book, full of rhythm and how to use syllables. It is very visual and colourful. I liked that it was fun to read and i think children will engage with this book. It meets one of the Key S...more
Camille
I'm a big fan of using shakers to accompany at least one book or song during my storytimes and this book is perfect for just that purpose. The cover says "Stamp your feet to the Skunka Tanka beat!" This book takes advantage of the rhythms and syllables of different words and turns them into a fun interactivity. The cover encourages you to stamp along, but you can grab shakers or rattles and shake along, or you can get all creative and make your own noise maker and play along with the prose: "Cat...more
Fjóla
Apr 09, 2014 Fjóla rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: toddlers, read aloud
At first I was a bit perplexed by this book. My son read it to me, and he giggled at it, but nothing made much sense. But when I took a second look at it, I got it. It's a great rhythmic read aloud, and if you liked Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb, you should like this one equally. Full of onomatopoeia, it's actually quite the clever book.
M.J.
I saw this and just had to write a review for it. It's been years since I first read this and to this day, I can still quote loads of it (I know, perhaps now the best endorsement when it has so few words in its!) However, my kids loved it, and I loved it. So please, give it a chance and then, in ten years time, you'll still be quoting pages of it!! My favourite line is 'ant eater, ant eater, BIG BLUE WHALE' said in a very LOUD VOICE!
Amy Musser
Tanka, an elephant, and his friend Skunk love to beat out a crazy rhythm using the names of all their friends, from llama to lemur, bear to cat-er-pil-lar. This is a great addition to a storytime about phonological awareness or vocabulary. Rhythmic text and a fun refrain make this a rollicking read aloud.

Read More at Picture-Book-a-Day: http://picturebookaday.blogspot.com/2...
Roger DeBlanck
Tanka Tanka Skunk by author and illustrator Steve Webb makes superb use of musicality to accompany vivid and amazing illustrations. Tanka (an elephant) and Skunka (a Skunk) play drums. Webb repeats the rhythmic tune the two characters play throughout the book: “Skunka Tanka/ Skunka Tanka/ Tanka Tanka Skunk.” Then he moves on to other beats using an assortment of different animals. He shows how kangaroo has three beats and caterpillar has four: “Kang – ga – roo” and “Cat – er – pil – lar.” The li...more
Katrina Dombrowsky
The rhythm and fun, tongue twister-like words make this a great read-aloud. It would be fun to have the kids pat along to the “chorus,” or have drums to beat every time the "Tanka Tanka Skunk" part comes up, but I'm not sure the younger set would quite get it… This one would probably be better for an older group.
Anne
CIP: none
Summary: A picture book full of rhythm and animals in clever combinations.

Review: This is a fabulous book! It very cleverly combines animal names and delightful pictures in a rhythmic beat that will have toddlers and preschoolers chanting along with a smile on their face. Perfect for people who want to put music type materials into their storytime without actual singing. Also, challenges the reader to repeat the book, but *faster*!!

SLJ says: "Storytime audiences will revel in the beat"
P...more
Ruth Ann
Interactive

Have parents and kids tap out syllables on floor while I am reading!
Helen
A perfect read-aloud book for exploring rhythm and rhyme with preschoolers using familiar and less familiar animal names. We love repeating each page, and then starting all over again, faster this time! Works really well in a group too (using clapping/tapping to mark the beats)
Kathy Morrison
Jun 27, 2007 Kathy Morrison rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers, friends, moms
Shelves: classroombooks
This rhyming book uses animal names to create rhythm patterns that are silly and repetitive. Great fun for a regular story time, body percussion activity, or drum circles. Recommended to me by a Mom who uses it at home with her 3 children (5, 3, 1) and they read it almost every day! Plus, she has a gathering drum at home they include for the ultimate home experience.
Recommended to me by two children's librarians, Tanka Tanka Skunk is one of the most fun toddler books I've read. The page backgrounds have different solid colors, the black font is fun, and the cartoon-like pictures are adorable. The text doesn't tell a story, but plays with the fun of words, including rhymes and beats. Great for a toddler or pre-school storytime.
jacky
This was read today at story time. Our librarian read it through a few times, faster each time. It was clear she had some practice! It really teaches about rhythm and let kids play with rhythm. I also liked the variety of animals used, not just your usual farm animals.
Melanie
This is a great book. Nice simple pictures, easy and fun to read. It takes several times through to get the rythm of it all down. I think my baby will like it even more when she's older. It's a lot of fun now, but I think she'll just love it in a year or two.
Valerie
perfect for a rhythm and rhyme theme - don't be afraid to get out the rhythm sticks and have the kids beat out the syllables as you read this one. Great for toddlers to learn clapping out beats or for preschoolers and beginning readers to get the rhythm.
Library Quine
Not a huge amount of story but fantastic musicality and rhythm. The book features two main characters, Tanka (elephant) and Shunk. When you read their names together they sound like drums. The ideal book to get little ones shaking their shakers.
Destinee Sutton
There's no story here, just a kind of rhythmic chant using animal names. It's pretty fun. Should you choose to read this to young ones, though, I warn you that it could go on forever because the last page says to read it again only faster.
Amanda Parker
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book! One of the best for read-aloud, storytime, or fun with kids of any age! Well written and fun to read, I've read it so many times that I can get though the whole thing in 33 seconds! Yes I've timed myself- so fun!
May 08, 2008 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: story time
Recommended to Jennifer by: Stefanie
Everyone should drop everything and run out and read this book. You'll spend the rest of the day thinking, "skunka tanka, skunka tanka, skunka tanka, SKUNK." And really, what more can you really ask for? I mean, it does have a beat....
Kelli
"Skunka Tanka Skunk Tanka Tanka Tanka skunk!" The silliness and rhythm of this book makes it a crowd pleaser. Clapping the syllables is a fantastic pre-literacy exercise that makes learning almost effortless. Great book.
Tricia
What a hit this was in storytime...not just with the kids but also with the adults. Animal names become rhymes with a repeating visit from Tanka (elephant) and Skunk. Fun to read, fun to build audience participation.
Dearborn Public Library Youth Services
This is a great book for young pre-K through 3rd grade. The rhythm grabs the litter kids and the older kids see the syllables. It's a very active, get on your feet and stomp book. Hightly recommended.
Edna
Wow - what a fun book for teaching phonetics. As the book is read aloud, it's only natural to add a beat with the repetitious silly sounding lyrics that rhyme with the different animal names.
Bonnie
Aug 10, 2008 Bonnie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE WITH A KID
This is one of my favorites! My kids and I sit around our gathering drum and bang out the words as we chant and shout. Many thanks to Miss Elizabeth for introducing us to this one at storytime.
Alexis
Loved it!, as did my toddler. Such a fun way to organize animals in a rhythmic chant/song. Weeks after reading it, my toddler will still chant portions of the book that she remembers.
JaNeal
A fun rolic in the music and rhythm of words--playfully wonderful.

Lots of speech sounds here but the K and the K-blends (nk, sk) are especially good.
Kayla
A book with beat!! Great for introducing syllables! And just plain fun. Steve and I find ourselves singing the song even when Susie is not in the room.
Elizabeth S
As advertised, the text rhythms are wonderful. The hard part is the challenge to do it all again, FASTER. Parts get a little tongue-twistery.
tank tanka 1 6 Jun 27, 2007 08:33PM
  • Dear Mr. Blueberry
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Hey, Little Ant
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • The Treasure
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Hello, Day!
  • The Important Book
  • Clap Your Hands
  • Down by the Cool of the Pool
  • Lunch
Bigger Digger Polly Jean Pyjama Queen: A Lift-the-Flap Book Tigerbear Happy Zappa Cat Too Hot to Stop!