Start by marking “The Hallowed Hunt (Chalion, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Hallowed Hunt (Chalion, #3)

The Hallowed Hunt (World of the Five Gods (Publication) #3)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  7,572 Ratings  ·  459 Reviews
Lois McMaster Bujold returns to the vivid, perilous world of her previous masterworks, the Hugo Award-winning Paladin of Souls and Hugo and World Fantasy Award-nominated The Curse of Chalion, with this tale of devotion and strange destiny. The half-mad Prince Boleso has been slain by a noblewoman he had intended to defile. It falls to Lord Ingrey kin Wilfcliff to transport ...more
Audio CD, 448 pages
Published March 1st 2007 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Hallowed Hunt, please sign up.

Wolfread I have always seen this listed as the third of the trilogy. It was written and published third, but in time-line takes place a bit before the events…moreI have always seen this listed as the third of the trilogy. It was written and published third, but in time-line takes place a bit before the events in the first book in the trilogy, making it sort of a prequel. All three books are stand-alone works, only very loosely tied together by setting. I have always seen them listed as 1) The Curse of Chalion 2) Paladin of Souls 3) The Halllowed Hunt. I don't think it really matters if this one is considered first or third because it is set a bit apart (earlier) in time from the other two, and is in a different location with different characters.(less)
Wolfread This was written and published third, but in the time-frame of the world described, it takes place a bit before the events in "The Curse of Chalion".…moreThis was written and published third, but in the time-frame of the world described, it takes place a bit before the events in "The Curse of Chalion". I have always seen this one listed as the third of the trilogy, but I guess it is now considered a prequel to "The Curse of Chalion". The three books all work as stand-alone books, and are only loosely tied together by setting and occasional brief mentions of characters from the other books. (less)

Clouds
The general consensus regarding The Hallowed Hunt seems to be "good, but not as good as the first two." I disagree.

My twee summary would be "greater than the sum of it's parts." The Hallowed Hunt is a complex beast (excuse the pun) and leans more heavily on expositional dialogue than is Bujold's usual practice, but I found this theosophical adventure both engaging and rewarding.

Due to the aura of disappointment palpable in the cumulative body of Goodreads reviews, I was reluctant to start this o
Brad
This third book is much the same and significantly different than the others, so much so that they're all about the same amount of difference between them while in the same world, but all of them have so much of the same gentleness and levels of extreme intensity. It's very odd to describe, and I'm sorry for making a hash of it, but it's still valid.

The gods are always making a mess of things, and sometimes it's so much worse than we think. Here's to the wolf! And here's to the Horse! Can we rel
Mike (the Paladin)
Oct 17, 2010 Mike (the Paladin) rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
We have been discussing on a different thread how a person's mood, frame of mind, surroundings etc. might effect their outlook on a book. I'm forced to say, maybe that's so here. I really liked the first in this series of books, it is exceptional as is the second. Each (especially the first The Curse of Chalion) snagged me and dragged me into the story. They held my interest from the first.

Now we come to the third. I could not get into it. The author seeks here to expand further the details of t
Lightreads
Dec 27, 2008 Lightreads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, romance
Third in her Five Gods universe, dealing with the son. I liked this better a year and a reread later. It is very much a Bujold book, by which I mean that the main character, while operating within the inner circles of power, has some affliction (curse and blessing) which makes him an outsider to the society he works to serve. In this case the affliction is the possession of an animal spirit. Which is why, I think, I enjoyed this book but it did not grab me by the heart and gut like Curse of Chal ...more
Kevin Xu
Mar 26, 2016 Kevin Xu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't understand why all the dislike for this book?
Glad that this book wasn't the 1st in the series. If The Hallowed Hunt was the first book McMaster wrote in her World of the Five Gods trilogy, would most people continued on with the series at all to win all those awards and recognition that the first 2 books have?
Jim
Oct 06, 2013 Jim rated it liked it
I screwed up & listened to this as the 2d book in the trilogy, not last. I don't think it's that big of a deal since it takes place way before the first two & has nothing but the world in common. I read the first of this trilogy when it came out & then the second, but never got around to this one. The gal that read this was quite a good reader, but different from the other two books.

The first half of the book dragged for me. I almost quit. Way too much description & thinking (exp
Cyndi
Feb 09, 2017 Cyndi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not sure where this book actually fits in the series. If it's a prequel to the Challion books, then they carried none of the knowledge forward. If it's a sequel it's far into the future. Same religion, brief mention of Challion. ???
Anyway, I'm glad I didn't read it first 'cause I never would have read the other two and that would have been my loss.
D.G.
Apr 25, 2015 D.G. rated it really liked it
**4.5 stars**

What a wonderfully complex book! Lois McMaster Bujold is a master storyteller, waving such intricate plots which she doles out little by little but still leaves some questions to the imagination. I feel like I must read this book again because I'm sure I missed a lot of the subtlety.

I can't go much into details about this story because a) I'm bound to get something wrong and b) I will give spoilers and I think this story is best enjoyed when it's uncovered by the reader. I will say
Jesse Whitehead
Dec 13, 2013 Jesse Whitehead rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are books that are fun and exciting to read. There are also books that explore ideas in depth, providing commentary on some of the passions of human existence. Sometimes a book can be both of those things. The frequency with which Lois MacMaster Bujold is able to accomplish that with her books is astounding.

The Hallowed Hunt appears to be equal parts fantasy thriller and romance story but that is just a cover for what it really is: an exploration of forgiveness, redemption and mercy.

Bujold
Eric Moreno
Aug 15, 2011 Eric Moreno rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beth Cato
I was blown away by the first two books in the Chalion series. Perhaps my expectations here were too high. The Hallowed Hunt is not a bad book by any means, but it suffers from a slow start, less developed characters, and sometimes confusing theological plot twists.[return][return]Prince Boleso has been murdered. Lord Ingrey has been dispatched to bring his murderer to justice, and finds things are not at all what he expects. The murderer is a young woman, defending herself from rape. To make th ...more
Althea Ann
Nov 24, 2011 Althea Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to agree with others who have said "good, but not as good as the first two." However - it's still squeaking into the 4-star range.

I also feel that in this case, marketing this as "Chalion #3" is doing the book a disservice - though set in the same world as 'Curse of Chalion' and 'Paladin of Souls,' this is a fully self-contained, stand-alone novel.

Ingrey, a bad-ass but good-hearted soldier, who just happens to have been saddled with a forbidden spirit-animal as a young man, is sent to dea
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Not recommended for animal-lovers: Lots of spirits (mostly of animals) being pulled into the souls of people (mostly through throat-slitting), causing various powers to manifest. Complex world-building, but it just didn't engage me the way I'd hoped. I read to 75% and skimmed the rest.

For whatever reason I tend to like Bujold's SciFi better than her fantasies. Two and a half stars.
Bogdan
Apr 07, 2013 Bogdan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Hallowed Hunt” sau “Vanatoarea sfanta” este volumul trei si ultimul din seria Chalionului, romane semnate de cunoscuta Lois McMaster Bujold. Din punctul meu de vedere volumul de fata putea lipsi fara nicio problema din bibliografia autoarei. In mod sigur lumea s-a bucurat cand a aflat ca mai exista inca o carte cu actiunea plasata in lumea Chalionului, si eu m-am numarat printre entuziasti, asta pina am inceput sa citesc cartea. Din start semnalez unul dintre minusurile volumului de fata, si ...more
Wendy
When I stepped into the world of Chalion, I was introduced to its five gods—Father, Son, Mother, Daughter and the Bastard—and some of the rituals surrounding them, but I mistakenly assumed these gods were much like ours: believed in by some, but with little proof of their existence. But as with everything else in The Curse of Chalion, Bujold politely allowed me my assumptions, then gently pulled the rug out from under me and moved on before I even had time to catch my breath. Subsequently, I lea ...more
Kerry
Oct 15, 2012 Kerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 10, 2005
I loved this. Of course, I generally love Bujold's work and give her a good amount of leeway, but she didn't disappoint. I've heard some people say they didn't like this one as much as The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls. It was a bit different (in a very different part of this universe for one thing and a couple of centuries for another), but I really enjoyed it.

About half way through it took an unexpected right angle and went in a different direction from what I had expected. I thought
MB (What she read)
Lois McMaster Bujold is an incredible author! Her worlds are detailed, fully-realized and intriguing. Each of her characters is deep, complicated, and unique. And the plots! Wow! She is one of the few authors I read where I can't guess what is going to happen about 50 pages in. Her writing is for intelligent readers and I appreciate that she doesn't dumb her books down.

This book starts rather quietly. But as the darkness and suspense built up I was more and more involved/invested. The plot/idea
Neil
Apr 28, 2009 Neil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could be underestimating this one. I started out listening to it as an audiobook and got through about two-thirds of it that way. Avoid the audiobook at all cost. Why they chose a woman reader who wasn't particularly good at men's voices to read a book narrated by a man with mostly male characters is beyond me. To make matters worse, the reader used a lofty tone, which I guess was supposed to indicate "fantasy," but it just made everything sound corny.

When I finally switched to just reading t
Sbuchler
Genre: High Fantasy

This audio book was read by Marguerite Gavin, unlike the other two in the series which were read by Lloyd James. I had a lot of trouble getting over Marguerite Gavin's reading style. I found it very distracting. I think it worked well in her reading of _Dead Witch Walking_ - but the snotty psudo-hard biten sound did not work for me as the narrator of Ingrey & Ijada's story. He may be a "realist" but neither of them are snotty. :-S I'm sure it didn't help that this isn't on
Felicia
May 28, 2011 Felicia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I LOVED the first two books in this series. Like, five stars, MUST READ, loved. I had extremely high hopes for this one, but it just didn't feel very connected to the other two. The plot was pretty stand alone from the previous, and seemed really exposition-y with the animals spirits, taking place in a different region, different characters etc. It started off well but just led to me skipping a lot to the end. I'm not sure what happened, I love this author but would probably recommend sticking t ...more
Andreea Daia
I must be the exception from the rule because I thought that this novel was more enthralling than the previous installment, Paladin of Souls. I won't go again over the exceptional writing technique of Ms. Bujold, which I discussed at length in my reviews of The Curse of Chalion (link) and Paladin of Souls (link). Enough to say that the author's style continues to be consistently impressive and gripping.

Quite a few readers complained that they didn't find the religious twist from The Hallowed Hu
Kat  Hooper
Mar 31, 2009 Kat Hooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Lois McMaster Bujold has exactly the right idea with the Chalion series. Each book stands alone, but if you have read the first one (Curse of Chalion), you get all the background material you need to understand the geographical, political, and religious systems of her world. This means that later books (Paladin of Souls and The Hallowed Hunt) can have fresh new characters and plots, but we don't have to endure many info dumps. The magic system, meanwhile, gets more and more complex, as w ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Nov 05, 2012 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bujold Completists; Fans of the Chalionverse
This is the third book set in the Chalion universe, but it's a standalone with no common characters or thread, just a related culture with the same dominant religion. If the land of The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls, can be identified with Renaissance Spain, then the Weald of The Hallowed Hunt could be seen as Medieval Germany--the Weald being a land barely mentioned in the other books that's far away and this a tale in the past of the other books. I loved The Curse of Chalion, which was ...more
cuifen
Jan 29, 2014 cuifen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Sadly, this book just did not work for me at all - and I loved the first two Chalion books.

I think the problem, for me, boils down to the fact that all the shamanic religious stuff that the plot revolves around is just too inaccessible. The novel is trying to impart too much information and background on spirit animals, history and culture all at once, not to mention politics. I can grasp the idea of having a spirit animal fine, but once the story started meandering into who has what animal and
John Strohm
"Does this make any sense?" "No, not really."
Thus speaks Ingrey about 85% of the way through the book (I listened to the audiobook so I may not have the quote exactly right). Unfortunately, I agree with him.

Where the previous Chalion books worked within a specified framework, this one sets up new rules every few chapters. The end result is that literally anything can happen, and sadly, it kind of does.

The book starts off slow, builds into an interesting second act, and then it's like Bujold ran
Margaret
The Hallowed Hunt is set in the same world as the other two Chalion books, but in a different country: the Weald, conquered by the Darthacans years ago and still affected by the conquest even after throwing off the invaders. Lord Ingrey kin Wolfcliff is sent to arrest Lady Ijada, who killed the dying Hallow King's younger son under mysterious circumstances. Soon Ingrey and Ijada are tangled up in a scheme involving animal spirits, warrior ghosts, and the Weald's hallow kingship.

I wasn't quite a
Claire
Mar 04, 2013 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kate Willshaw
Shelves: fantasy, 2013
This is set in the same world as the previous two books but has no real links to them, a fact that some might find off putting. We have moved from Spanish-ish Chalion to Anglo-Saxon/Germanic-ish Weald but the Five are the same and there are similar dilemmas. This is the book of the Son, and I hope that LMB gets around to writing the stories of the interactions of the last two gods.

The main story is satisfactorily wrapped up by the end of the book (and how refreshing it is to read standalones of
Fernando Gonzalo Pellico
Tercera novela del ciclo de Chalion y la más inconexa de las tres. En ella aparece simplemente nombrado Chalion y se mantienen la magia del Bastardo y los dioses, nada más. Ningún personaje de los libros anteriores vuelve a aparecer.

Sin embargo, la señora Bujold ya nos tiene acostumbrados a estas cosas. En alguna futura novela anexionará pedazos de mundos que pertenezcan a este Ciclo, seguramente sorprendiéndonos gratamente.

Es una lectura interesante, más profunda que las dos entregas anteriores
Diane
Feb 20, 2017 Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, audio
More like 4.5 stars. I've enjoyed the previous Fantasy novels set in this world a great deal. This one was no exception. The denouement was also quite moving.

The narrator (Marguerite Gaver) wasn't my favorite, I kept getting distracted by her reading, but her wasn't too bad all in all. Her male voices all sounded devoid of expression, something I expect is due to her wish to keep her voice pitched low as like a man's voice. Her female voices and her variations in delivery of each character made
Rebecca
What a great book. Possible review to come.
  • The Gate of Gods (The Fall of Ile-Rien, #3)
  • The Privilege of the Sword (Riverside, #2)
  • Fortune and Fate (Twelve Houses, #5)
  • Breath and Bone (Lighthouse, #2)
  • Whiskey and Water (Promethean Age, #2)
  • The House of the Stag (Lord Ermenwyr, #2)
  • The Last Hawk (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #3)
  • Dragon Blood (Hurog, #2)
  • Oath of Gold (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #3)
  • A Song for Arbonne
  • Water Logic (Elemental Logic, #3)
  • The Broken Kingdoms (Inheritance, #2)
  • The Blackgod (Children of the Changeling, #2)
Lois McMaster Bujold was born in 1949, the daughter of an engineering professor at Ohio State University, from whom she picked up her early interest in science fiction. She now lives in Minneapolis, and has two grown children.

Her fantasy from HarperCollins includes the award-winning Chalion series and the Sharing Knife tetralogy; her science fiction from Baen Books features the perennially bestse
More about Lois McMaster Bujold...

World of the Five Gods (Publication) (7 books)
  • The Curse of Chalion (World of the Five Gods, #1)
  • Paladin of Souls (World of the Five Gods, #2)
  • Penric's Demon (Penric and Desdemona, #1)
  • Penric and the Shaman (Penric and Desdemona, #2)
  • Penric’s Mission (Penric and Desdemona, #3)
  • Mira's Last Dance (Penric and Desdemona, #4)

“Signs of the Bastard's holy presence tend to be unmistakable, to those who know Him. The screaming, the altercations, the people running in circles - all that was lacking was something bursting into flame, and I was not entirely sure for a moment you weren't going to provide that as well.” 24 likes
“But have you ever overheard two women discussing men? Men are crude liars, comparing their drabs, but women - I'd rather have [an] anatomist dissect me alive than to listen to the things the ladies say about us when they think they are alone.” 10 likes