Start by marking “Babysitting George” as Want to Read:
Babysitting George

Celia Walden

Babysitting George

liked it 3.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  13 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
As a young reporter, Celia Walden receives an unusual assignment: track down a global superstar and keep him away from all other journalists. That man is soccer player George Best, who made his debut for Manchester United at age seventeen and was the star of a star team throughout the 1960s. Enormously skilled and ruggedly handsome, idolized by men and women alike, he was ...more
Published (first published May 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Babysitting George, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Babysitting George

Badrul  Hisyam
I took longer time to finished this book because I am quite busy lately. This book tells a sad story of an alcoholic footballer who lived in a damaged life. A journalist came to babysit him and this book tell us the story of his life before he died.

Firstly, about the good side of this book. This book is not a fiction like you always read. Its a true story. Author's experiences of being a carer for George Best at the same time doing her job as a journalist. (No wonder her writing is good)

Secondl
mediumlysocial
I probably would never have read this if I hadn't come across this book while cataloguing. I don't like football and I like footballers even less. But a story about a journalist babysitting a deteriorating legend seemed intriguing. It's almost a novel with George Best as the tragic genius hero. I thought it was a touching snapshot of the man, not unexpectedly sad, but surprisingly funny on occasion. I think the saddest thing that came out of it was the picture that this man had no qualms about d ...more
Oriana Wilmott
Oct 10, 2012 Oriana Wilmott rated it it was ok
Quite an interesting insight into the horrible tabloid world, albeit a few years ago, I'm sure it has got worse since. The author comes over as vain and annoying, but it is fairly well written and George's character shines through. Some insight into addiction although this is a very light-weight account of a short time they spent together, mainly unwillingly on his part.
Simone
Jun 27, 2012 Simone rated it liked it
A fascinating train wreck of a story, touchingly written. If it isn't true, she fakes it well. If it is, then it's a compassionate tribute to a man in love with drink at the expense of everything else (a good cautionary tale, too ...).
Bettie☯
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Sheena
Sheena rated it it was ok
Apr 01, 2016
Michael Freeley
Michael Freeley marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Barclay Dutson
Barclay Dutson rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2014
Lorito
Lorito rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2014
Hannah Hilbery
Hannah Hilbery marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Stuart Hill
Stuart Hill rated it it was ok
May 20, 2014
Debbie
Debbie rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2014
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2013
Tim Rowell
Tim Rowell rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2014
Joni Millar
Joni Millar marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
Em
Em marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2012
Jay Hill
Jay Hill marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2012
Misssharice
Misssharice marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2012
Juliana
Juliana marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2011
Maureen Mcdonald
Maureen Mcdonald rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2011
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2011