Start by marking “Branded (Fall of Angels, #1)” as Want to Read:
Branded (Fall of Angels, #1)

Branded (Fall of Angels #1)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  13,278 Ratings  ·  948 Reviews
Jessica had the nightmares for as long as she can remember. Nightmares of being judged by people who have died, of being branded by the angels. Her friends and family think she's crazy because of it all. Yet she carries the mark of the condemned, seared into the back of her neck, and hides it and herself away from the world.

But when two men she can't ignore enter her life
Published March 4th 2010 by Createspace (first published January 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Branded, please sign up.

Liz it's fantasy and much worse than divergent.

Shelly Crane
Oct 02, 2011 Shelly Crane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off, let me say I finished...no- devoured the first two books in two days time. I was wary to start it. I mean bad angels didn't sound awesome to me but I gave it a shot and was not dissapointed.
The characters were not annoying as I find they are in alot of fantasy novels. They were relateable and caring towards one another. Their relationship was sweet and believable, no patronizing. I'm not turned on by female roles who are whiny and selfish. And the male roles are usually so arrogant b
Keary Taylor
Jul 30, 2010 Keary Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Well, I had to give my own work 5 stars right?... Keep an eye out for Forsaken, the second book in the Fall of Angels, coming this fall!
Annie
Jun 09, 2011 Annie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Good:
Branded has a very interesting premise: angels are not the glorified beings they're hyped as. Instead, they are the cause for the main character's torment. Neat.
The story line is decent as well. It kept me guessing until the end. It's not all that predictable (except for the romance bit) and the author keeps some semblance of suspense up until the very end.

The Bad:
For one thing, the ending seems very rushed. Taylor manages to cram the entire resolution of the story into pretty much a pa
Ellis
First of all: negative stars, a shelf created especially for this book, because it left such a bad taste in my mouth that the only stars I can possibly give are those below zero.

As you might have guessed, Branded made me angry, and therefore it will be impossible to review this without spoilers. However, many of the plot is so obvious and unoriginal that the spoilers aren't that substantial. Also, some explicit language will be used, because sometimes there is just no better way to express your
Thea
Dec 01, 2012 Thea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jessica Bailey is tormented. Every time she falls asleep, her nightmare begins. The first chapter got me into reading the book. It was different. It started where most books end… on judgment.

However, after a couple of chapters, the story goes downhill. FAST. The author tends to overelaborate on everything, leaving nothing to the imagination. There are a few pages full of just descriptions of surroundings, and feelings. I gets boring fast when every detail is explained and explored.

The book fee
J. Lynne

>>>WARNING SPOILERS (SLIGHT)<<<

Initially I was really into this book. I loved Jessica's character. The premise intrigued me. The writing was decent. Then Alex happened.

I did not like Alex, at all. He was too chipper. Too eager. At least, he is in the beginning. He and Jessica fall in together way too quickly for my piece of mind. I mean, Jessica hasn't known him a day and already she's okay with him walking in on her in the shower. Not only that, but he thinks its okay to invad
Myvampfiction
Nov 22, 2011 Myvampfiction rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
review by Megsly

*Warning: possible spoilers ahead.*

Branded follows 20-year old Jessica Bailey, who is a teenage run away who never sleeps. She can usually reach almost 100 hours with no sleep before her body starts caving in on her. The reason she doesn't sleep is because she has night terrors, extreme night terrors. In her dreams, she finds herself locked in a room, awaiting trial. An angel she calls Adam, with gray eyes (which is apparently indicative of whether or not they are fallen or not?
Elle Beauregard
The story and the characters definitely kept me reading.

I purchased this book on a whim--I love to read the work of local authors and jumped at the chance to help support a local up-and-coming when I saw this book at a bookstore near my office, in Seattle. I read every day on my way to and from work on public transit, and sometimes, while reading this book, I'd almost forget where I was! Once, I almost missed my stop!

The story is compelling, the scenery and set-building very full without dragg
Etough
Jul 13, 2011 Etough rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I did enjoy the story in this book, but I am not sure I liked how it was executed. The idea was fantastic and very original. I am not sure if this was the writer's first book, but the flow of the book was off. There was so much build up and not enough character development to fill the pages. While I liked there characters in the book okay...I didn't feel like I knew enough about them to love them. There was so much room to get you emotionally involved with the characters but since you didn't ...more
Heather
Jul 06, 2014 Heather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
It's a rare book that can cause me to feel shame for reading it. 10 pages in, I knew pressing on could potentially cause my brain cells to atrophy. I can't say for sure if any of my brain matter truly did perish, but I'm going to partake in the Sunday Times crossword puzzle just in case. This was literally, the worst book I've ever bothered to finish.

Branded possesses all the self published fails.
1. Mary Sue who is insanely insipid but instantly adored....check
2. Insta love with a super rich, ri
Katerina
Willow Brooks
The plot started off great but plummeted so much so it became tedious to finish the story; It dragged on and on. I hated the heroine after chapter 18. The ending was basically a lot of work for nothing. All that training for what?? I'm glad it's over. I will add how I believe that if I had read this book three years ago, I probably would have loved it.

I recommend this book for people who are fine with reading stories based around an annoying heroine. I really liked her at first but as the story
EroticaAfterDark (Lilith)
eyeroll

I have never read a book that has bored me so much. I don't know why I did even finish it? Maybe because I was still hoping that the appearance of the 'villain' (sorry for insulting real villains here) would give this story the kick that would make me understand why everyone has rated this book so well...

The only really interesting thing is what the 'heroine' is experiencing... in her dreams. The twist is a new view on things, and that I did like. But that's about it, unfortunately.

What made thi
Katinki
Feb 15, 2012 Katinki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: angel-books
I'd like to give this more than 2 stars, but I can't see it when I compare this book to some of the other "angel" books I've read.

Basic premise is that Jessica has been haunted by terrible nightmares since a young age. Her nightmares are really more than that, however. In them she stands trial before a panel of angels on the behalf of others, and upon their decision, she suffers the pain of these souls' ascension or worse, damnation. Oh, and she wakes up with proof of it. Enter Alex, the perfec
Ciara1973
Sep 16, 2013 Ciara1973 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: angel-and-demons
Imy♥♥

Jessica has been tortured with horrifying nightmares ever since she was a little girl. Nightmares of being judged and standing trial for those that have died, in front of a council of Angels. 5 Condemned angels with black eyes, and 5 exalted angels with blue eyes.
Up meant exaltation and never ending bliss, while Down meant a branding and never ending torment. On the back of her neck she wears the branding of the condemned reminding her that not all nightmares stay hidden in the shadows of a dre
-RadioActiveBookWorm-
Goodreads Synopsis: Jessica's had the nightmares for as long as she can remember. Nightmares of being judged for people who have died, of being branded by the angels. Her friends and family think she's a crazy because of it all. Yet she carries the mark of the condemned, seared into the back of her neck, and hides it and herself away from the world.
But when two men she can't ignore enter her life everything changes, including the nightmares. The two of them couldn't be more different. She will d
Dava Stewart
This book is based on a really interesting idea, and after the first chapter or two I was set to like it a lot. Alas, it foundered. The main character is a tortured individual whose life is steeped in the supernatural - not exactly the kind of character you would imagine would be interested in shopping at the mall or painting her toenails. The idea gave the author a great opportunity to explore some deep, philosophical questions about religion and humanity, but she shied away from it. There was ...more
★Moonrise Books
Branded (Fall of Angels, #1) is the story of Jessica, a young woman estranged from her parents, who suffers from excruciating night terrors that have all but taken over her life. Jessica doesn’t sleep. Well, she tries her best not to, but after several days she does succumb to sleep, only to be met with the same nightmares she has had her entire life—nightmares of the trials of souls.

In the nightmares, Jessica waits in a cell for the angel who never speaks. Hooded, she is led to walk the gauntl
Amelia

I started Branded with high hopes - it seemed like an interesting premise and I was happy at the prospect of reading some YA with slightly older characters.

I get a few pages in and already it is setting itself up for a stereotype, complete with pretty-but-kind-of-weird female character plus wealthy-male-model-with-not-much-personality and a healthy dose of insta-love. I was ready to forgive Keary Taylor for this because there was still this mystery over Jessica's dreams and I was intrigued.

An
Penelope Fletcher
Jan 19, 2011 Penelope Fletcher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shraddha
Oct 13, 2014 Shraddha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alex is just perfect, and so very selfless. He is sunshine and all things that make one happy. I think it was beautiful when Jessica said that she would never be worthy of him but she's going to try.

I freaking love this book! The concept was so different, and Jessica and Alex went through too much. There's just so much love in this book, especially from dear Alex, you can't help but adore the book and the characters!

Here are some things I learned from Branded:
1) You must look past a person's mes
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

DNF at 18% and Chapter 6.

This one is truly a shame that I must quit it because it REALLY has a fascinating premise. Jessica goes to sleep, but in her "dreams", she's a soul on judgment in front of a tribunal of 5 evil angels and 5 good angels.

Fascinating, right? Well, it would be without all the boring day-to-day activities and the mooning over Alex's FANTASTIC ABS. Gorrammit, I get it, women are fully entitled to be sexually attracted to a guy purely based on his physical qualitie
Auntie K
Aug 04, 2015 Auntie K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: Branded

Author: Keary Taylor

Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

Published Date: March 4 2010

Pages: 374

Summary:Jessica's had the nightmares for as long as she can remember. Nightmares of being judged for people who have died, of being branded by the angels. Her friends and family think she's a crazy because of it all. Yet she carries the mark of the condemned, seared into the back of her neck, and hides it and herself away from the world.

But when two men she can't ignore e
Sam :)
Nov 30, 2015 Sam :) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ibooks
Rating: 4.25 stars

Such a fantastic and unique plot! Jessica herself was so strong, and I didn't expect half of what happened. My only criticism was that it seemed just a bit too long.
I must admit that I'm not planning on continuing the series, as I just feel like it's better as a stand alone.

I definitely recommend this fallen-angels novel!
Meagan
Dec 27, 2015 Meagan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF... I trudged on until about 60% couldn't finish
Kate
Mar 17, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was sucked into this story right from the start. Jessica has been standing trial every night, most often being branded and condemned by terrifying angels, and now lives a solitary life where she tries not to sleep. When Alex enters her life, she's surprised at how quickly they connect. Normally I'd call this instalove, but there was so much chemistry between the two that I was disappointed when Cole arrived. I thoroughly enjoyed the battle between good and evil. This is not your typical fallen ...more
Beth F.
“So Beth, do you plan on reading the next book in the series?” Goodreads chuckled lightly.

“No, I think I’ll pass,” Beth said with a chuckle.

“This book didn’t give you a chuckle?”

I chuckled, “I’m still perfecting my eye roll chuckle.”

“Fair enough”, chuckled Goodreads.

I am consistently underwhelmed by YA fiction so I’m not sure what possessed me to read this book ahead of everything else in my TBR pile, but I did. I found a lot to complain about, such as chronic overuse of the word ‘chuckle’,
Erica
Nov 07, 2012 Erica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had heard some great things about Branded since it was released, so I picked it up on ebook. I was sad to say that while I enjoyed the enticing plotline, overall, Branded was not a favorite for me.

I think it really came down to instant love in not only one but two situations. There are two boys who almost instantly fall in love with Jessica. There was no development before and afterwards I felt like the relationships between them didn't develop at a pace that I would have liked. I wanted more
Missy LaRae
The premise of this book was really exciting. I loved the beginning when Jessica is counting, I love little quirks like that in characters because it makes them seem so much more interesting. But as soon as the "love interest" is introduced this little idiosyncrasy of hers is gone. No more counting, not even telling us how many hours she'd been awake. I dislike when an author gives a character a quirk but abruptly stops it and no longer continues to use it to further the character development. H ...more
Crazy for Young A...: Branded (Fall of Angels, #1), by Keary Taylor → Start Date: October 09, 2015 11 21 Oct 18, 2015 08:12AM
The Free Book Cha...: Branded, by Keary Taylor 4 47 Jun 17, 2015 08:13PM
Kindle Book Sharing: Fall of Angels by Keary Taylor 6 9 Dec 12, 2014 12:30PM
Alex or Cole ??? 4 44 Mar 28, 2014 11:20AM
  • Gideon's Promise (Son's of Judgment, #2)
  • Meant to Be (The Saving Angels, #1)
  • Walking Dead Girl (Vampireland, #1)
  • Angelblood (Dark Angel, #4)
  • What Tomorrow May Bring
  • Son of Eden (Tales of the Guardian #1)
  • After Eden (Fallen Angels, #1)
  • Gifts of the Blood (Angel's Edge, #1)
  • Bird Song (Grace, #2)
  • Become (Desolation, #1)
  • The Halo Chronicles: The Guardian
  • Stained (Stained, #1)
  • Shadow of the Sun (Timeless, #1)
  • Glimpse (Zellie Wells, #1)
  • Starfire Angels (Starfire Angels: Dark Angel Chronicles, #1)
  • Awakening (The Watchers, #1)
  • Inhale (Just Breathe, #1)
3420702
Keary Taylor is the USA TODAY bestselling author of over a dozen novels. She grew up along the foothills of the Rocky Mountains where she started creating imaginary worlds and daring characters who always fell in love. She now splits her time between a tiny island in the Pacific Northwest and Utah, with her husband and their two children. She continues to have an overactive imagination that freque ...more
More about Keary Taylor...

Fall of Angels (3 books)
  • Forsaken (Fall of Angels, #2)
  • Vindicated (Fall of Angels, #3)

“I rested my chin on my shoulder, not quite fully looking at his face. "They don't disgust you?" I whispered, my voice shaking.
He rested one hand on my other shoulder and the other on my arm and leaned forward, gently pressing his lips into the center of my brand.
"Nothing about you could disgust me," he whispered against my neck.”
22 likes