The Fall Of Neskaya (Darkover, Book 4) (Clingfire, Book 1)

The Fall Of Neskaya (Darkover, Book 4) (Clingfire #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  1,210 ratings  ·  27 reviews
The Fall of Neskaya, Book One of the Clingfire Trilogy, marks the legendary author's final return to Darkover before her death. Set in the tumultuous era of The Hundred Kingdoms, a terrible time of strife and war, this unique fantasy world is divided into a mutlitude of small belligerent domains vying for power and land. One ambitious and corrupt tyrant will stop at nothin...more
Published July 1st 2001 by DAW Hardcover (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Fall Of Neskaya (Darkover, Book 4), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fall Of Neskaya (Darkover, Book 4)

Jimyanni
This book was written by Deborah J. Ross in the Darkover world created by Marion Zimmer Bradley; apparently, the idea and some of the early plot concepts came from Ms. Bradley before her death, but the majority of the actual writing was done by Ms. Ross. Nonetheless, it rang true as a Darkover novel; it had the feel of Bradley's writing. I'm given to understand that Ms. Ross had been working with Ms. Bradley for years, and understood her world as well as anyone. It has the added benefit that Ms....more
Chuck
Marion Zimmer Bradley's 1999 death seems to have had little effect on her literary output. At least once a year, a new title appears in her name, title in her name, comes out. It's always by "Marion Zimmer Bradley and Someboyd Else." In this case, the "Somebody Else" is Deborah Ross, a pretty darned good fantasy author in her own right.

The quality of these 'And Somebody Else" books is quite high. Of course, this isn't a "sharecropper" novel (where one author simply writes in a world created ay a...more
Lee
Gerda
Aug 02, 2009 Gerda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of fantasy novels
Another good novel by..., well I guess most of it by Deborah J. Ross. Marion Zimmer Bradley has been gone for about a decade now and still books are released in her name. She often wrote books with a co-author during her life and if I am to believe them she left a lot of novels at her death that she didn't manage to finish... So the name Marion Zimmer Bradley is still prominently on the books!

This book is the first part of a trilogy, 'the clingfire trilogy'. Unfortunately I don't have part two a...more
Bron
The Darkover novels are such a wonderful mixture of pre-raphaelite romance and sci fi! This one is an account of Rafael Hastur's efforts to bring some measure of peace and order to a world beset with terrible weapons and a man determined to be a tyrant - King Damien Deslucido. Through it all runs a love story - that of Coryn Leynier and Queen Taniquel of Acosta. In a later story, Taniquel becomes a legendary figure, a warrior Queen who restored the kingdom of Acosta, but here she is just a young...more
Kathrin
I read some books of the Darkover series years before but since I hardly remember them I started to read the series from the beginning again. However, this one kind of stuck in my mind after reading it for the first time.

I still tend to like the more fantasy themed books of the series more than others and this one combined my favorite topics. The work in the towers and their involvement in the wars were quite interesting.

However, especially the last part of the book is highly themed on a love s...more
Marcello Tarot
Ma quale trilogia?

Con gli altri due libri della “trilogia” (le virgolette sono quanto mai d’obbligo) questo ha legami tenui a dir molto. Forse, se fosse stato presentato come un libro a sé stante, avrebbe potuto essere parzialmente (e sottolineo “parzialmente”) apprezzato; ma spacciato come parte di una trilogia fa solo sentire truffati. Pecca oltre modo grave, poi, è la totale mancanza di motivazione per certi atti compiuti all’inizio del romanzo da parte del “cattivo” di turno. Nel complesso,...more
Lys
Aspettando che la Longanesi si decida a pubblicare anche gli altri due romanzi della Clingfire Trilogy, La Caduta di Neskaya è consigliatissimo a chiunque ami Darkover.
Certo, la mano della Bradley si fa sempre meno visibile, ma la Ross è riuscita a creare un buon racconto.
Manca qualcosa, quel qualcosa in più che solo Marion probabilmente sarebbe riuscita a dare, ma le atmosfere di questo libro sono indubbiamente quelle Darkovane che abbiamo imparato ad amare.
Tanto angst, tanto romance, un'intere...more
Sara Biondi
I love the Darkover series, and this book has not disappointed me...very entertaining and well written! I loved every character.
Joy
Marion Zimmer Bradley wrote this shortly after her death, in 2002, and the parallels to contemporary issues are obvious--the invading dictator-wannabe using weapons of mass destruction while lying to the UN weapons inspectors Comyn Council; there's also a charming love story here, and the story of a queen fighting for her and her child's kingdom...and you know Darkover is always fun to read during what seems to be an interminable winter. I think I'll go eat some nuts and honey now.
Cathy Holford
Deborah J. Ross continues the Darkover tradition after the death of Marion Zimmer Bradley. She is a kindred spirit and "sees" Darkover so clearly. This is taking place in the Age of Chaos before the Compact. Unrestrained use of laran and the destruction involved, power struggles, evil plots...all lead to the kind of good reading we expect from Darkover. Hats off to Ms. Ross for being able to keep Darkover alive even after the creator of that world has died.
Is it romanticism or laziness that leads authors to "The Only Person Who Is Attuned Enough to You to Rescue You is the Hawt One You Spent a Week With Once" scenario? Not the people trained in that kind of work whom he'd lived with and loved for years, not a family member, not a close friend, not a lover... only Her.
Kristi Thompson
Hmm. OK, still reasonably amusing. I did not buy the bit at the beginning where Ross wrote about how MZB had told her the story of what was to happen in these books, and I doubt anyone else will. It was quite unnecessary, and rather patronizing: she's dead! Of course she didn't write the damn book!
Cecilyn
I can't say that I enjoyed this book; I think the writing style is just not for me. I couldn't really get into the characters, which will really ruin a book for me, regardless of the plot or setting. A real bummer, I was hoping I'd like it, because I've like a few of her other books.
Maddalena
Sinceri complimenti a Deborah J. Ross, che ha saputo scrivere un romanzo talmente darkovano che quasi si potrebbe credere che l'ha scritto veramente Marion.
Un romanzo avvincente, non vedo l'ora di leggere gli altri due volumi della trilogia!
Nicole Simon
Of the clingfire triology this one is at least a bit MZB style; if you are in desparate need of an additional fix, stop latest after reading this and do yourself a favor and check with previews first if you can stand the way it is written.
Rochelle K.
I can't really mark this as read, though I tried to read it...I really did. Maybe it just wasn't the right timing. Might try again at a different point in time. Just couldn't get into the story.
Roberta
Bella storia, ambientazione affascinante (è sempre Darkover in fin dei conti) ma carente nella narrazione piatta e lenta.
Katie Shepherd
It seemed really interesting at the beginning, but the plot turned out to be not so creative after all.
Terry
Finding this book on the library's "New Books" shelf led to my summer of rereading my Darkover collection.
Donna
The plot developed nicely. MZB is imaginative, yet her writing style is simple, which I like.
Dennis
Couldn't put it down.

Easy read, characters believable.

Book I of the Clingfire Trilogy
Francisca
An interesting story and a nice starter for me for the Darkover world.
Adrian Smith
OK, moving country, needed some comfort reading. Mum is a big fan.
Julie
I think I was a bit too old for this book.
Joe
I could read it again. It was a good read :O)
Carol Prince
Loved it and all of the Darkover series...
Tkrystina
Tkrystina marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
  • Marion Zimmer Bradley's Sword and Sorceress XXI
  • Maelstrom
  • Hidden in Sight (Web Shifters, # 3)
  • The Quarters Novels: Volume I (Omnibus: Sing the Four Quarters / Fifth Quarter)
  • Return to Avalon
  • Roger Zelazny's to Rule in Amber (Dawn of Amber Trilogy, #3)
  • Sword and Sorceress 22
  • Chanur's Homecoming (Compact Space, #4)
  • Way of the Pilgrim
  • Man-Kzin Wars 5 (Man-Kzin Wars, #5)
  • Childe Morgan
  • Black Star Rising (A Del Rey Book)
Marion Eleanor Zimmer Bradley was an American author of fantasy novels such as The Mists of Avalon and the Darkover series, often with a feminist outlook.

Bradley's first published novel-length work was Falcons of Narabedla, first published in the May 1957 issue of Other Worlds. When she was a child, Bradley stated that she enjoyed reading adventure fantasy authors such as Henry Kuttner, Edmond Ham...more
More about Marion Zimmer Bradley...
The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1) The Forest House (Avalon, #2) Lady of Avalon (Avalon, #3) Priestess of Avalon (Avalon, #4) The Firebrand