Start by marking “Then Came You (Gamblers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Then Came You (Gamblers, #1)
Preview

Then Came You (The Gamblers #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  13,595 ratings  ·  572 reviews
Reckless and wild, beautiful Lily Lawson delights in shocking proper London society and in breaking any rule to flaunt her independence. Now she′s determined to rescue her sister from an undesirable marriage to the ruthless Alex Raiford, the arrogant Earl of Wolverton. She succeeds in rescuing her sister, but in the meantime Alex decides that Lily must be his. He has resol ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published September 30th 2003 by Avon (first published June 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Then Came You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Then Came You

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenOutlander by Diana GabaldonDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Favorite Historical Romance Novels
45th out of 2,220 books — 4,181 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenOutlander by Diana GabaldonDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
My Favourite Historical Romance
47th out of 1,348 books — 1,755 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
3 to 3 1/2 Stars

This is my first Lisa Kleypas book and there is not doubt that she is one INCREDIBLE writer. I can see why most of my Goodreads friends love and consider her one of their all-time favorite romance novelists. Unfortunately, this book didn't work for me like I had hoped. While I adored and fell head-over-heels in love with the hero, Alex, I can't say the same for the heroine, Lily. I started the book very much loving her vivacious, witty, and incorrigible behavior; however, by the
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Lily Lawson is such a great heroine. This is one of the books I love more for the heroine than the hero, although I really loved Alex Raiford. This is Lily's story. She is not perfect and she is considered a fallen woman. But the grit, and the determination she has makes you love her for who she is. Alex cannot resist her, and falls hard for her. I thought this book was so passionate and intense. The words just jump off the page and into your heart.

Keira Knightley as Lily

Matthew Marsden as Alex

Rane

I loved this book, that after I finished reading it, I flipped to the first page and started to re-read it again.

At first glance Alex Raiford is your typical A Alpha Male, wanting it his way or the highway. But slowly your shown what has left Alex so cold and unfeeling and that he’s finally has to see that he’s been hiding behind this pain and building a wall around himself and the one person he didn’t want around him in a million years is the one who opens his eyes.

Lily is a cutting, gambli
Eastofoz
Jul 23, 2008 Eastofoz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Tammy, Kathrynn, Isis, JJ; lovers of Loretta Chase's "Lord of Scoundrels"
What a page turner this turned out to be! It was nearly impossible to put down. This is right up there with Loretta Chase’s “Lord of Scoundrels” in terms of deliciously wicked banter between the h/h and the love-hate relationship is broiling hot with lots of unexpected twists and turns.

Alex is one short tempered, bossy man who cannot handle not being in control all the time. He just can’t stand the “screw you”, devil-may-care attitude of Lily Lawson and does everything he can to get one up on h
Shawna
5+ stars – Historical/Regency Romance

Although I’d previously read and loooved Kleypas’s Travis’s series, this was the first historical romance of hers that I read, and it’s no wonder that she’s such an incredibly popular romance author. The relationship between wild spitfire spinster Lily Lawson and stodgy Alex, Lord Raiford, from bitter antagonism to explosive passion that turns to cordial respect and then deep affection, is sheer magic to behold. This book inflamed my LK admiration that firs
Susana
Addictive for certain, but did it have to had so much drama?
If this had been cut to half its size, it would get a solid four star rating!
As it was, it was just too much: I am an emotional wreck by now, and it's six o'clock in the morning! o_O

The positives:
The banter between the main characters.
The fact that they pretty much hate each other guts on sight, and for quite some time (yes, I choose to place this amongst the positives, lol)

The fact that neither of them is your typical a hundred per cen
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Wow. I’m sensing another Kleypas craze coming on! Have I ever said how much I love this woman!? I may have mentioned once or twice, but I absolutely adore her historicals! No one can really compare with her. Kleypas is simply the historical romance queen!

Although this book wasn’t my favourite of her works, it was still pretty damn good! At first I wasn’t too fond of Lily. She was too showy, cared too much about being the center of attention and I didn’t like that at all. Lily says she doesn’t be
Bekah
This book made me fall in love with Lisa Kleypas again. I had devoured her books years ago, and then things happend and I just stopped reading altogether, and then I picked this up...This is one of those books where once the hero has decided to stop being stubborn, he falls like a 100 pound cement block! :-) Luckily for Lisa she has this ability to write these stories that make you want to pick them back up and feel that tenderness again and again, and thus makes her books 'keepers'!

Reread: Marc
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
I am confused about my feelings towards this book because things that I should've have loved were just okay and things that should've disturbed me didn't alter me. I couldn't possibly rate the book, not in this state of mind. However, that 4* are for Lily, for tying up Alex to a bed all night so her sister could elope and for dressing as motherfucking Eve so she could be the gambling queen that she is.
Rachel Regina
Overall rating: 5 stars!

Triggers:
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)
Intimacy with om/ow: (view spoiler)

HEA: (view spoiler)

My review:

Lily
Audrey
After waffling between a four and a five, I'm going for broke and slapping a fiver on this wonderful story. Lily is a magnificent heroine. She just feels so REAL in everything she says and does. She's audacious and bold and makes mistakes, but she also has very human quirks and vulnerabilities that she doesn't want to reveal to anyone (or doesn't trust to reveal) after having gone so long only relying on her own independence. When Alex comes along and is smitten almost from the start, she doesn' ...more
Nina
LOVED IT!!! If I could, I would sprinkle thousand stars on this book!

Such an amazing story... Lily and Alex's relationship was so dynamic, it sucks you in right away and you don't want to put it down until you finish.

Lily was very adorable with her funny and inappropriate acts, sometimes she was too cynical but I liked her very much.

And Alex... I don't know which gorgeous part of him I should choose to begin with... (of course I meant his character ;p) Alex stole my heart with his beautiful cha
Tammy Walton Grant
"Damn, damn...there it goes, the frigging thing!"

A few months ago one of my groups (Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous) started a thread called "First line of the book you are reading", and this line was one of them. I was hooked as soon as I saw it -- I possess a well-practiced and finely honed potty mouth and it's not very often you read a historical romance where the heroine possesses one as well.

I have stayed away from Lisa Kleypas' books almost on principle. She is so prolific, and her books a
Erika

Overall rating: 3.5 stars

Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Anything sexual with om/ow: (view spoiler)
Amount of Sex In The Book: (view spoiler)
Overall Steam Factor/Chemistry (between 1-5): (view spoiler)
Steelwhisper
So that was my first Kleypas.

I hope to god that the other two I unfortunately also bought sight unseen aren't as bad as this one, because this was pretty rotten reading up to when I and the book parted ways.

Most importantly, I couldn't at all connect to the prose. It was brittle, unemotional and as dry as tinder, not to speak of very, very boring.

Boring appears to be a staple for this book, because inspite of their antics I found both H and h to be utterly yawn-inducing. In fact, if the most e
♥ Beth
Feb 04, 2010 ♥ Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Fans; Lisa Kleypas Fans
Shelves: favorites
Then Came You

Another awesome read from Kleypas!

I loved Alex and Lily's story! This book has it all! I loved the drama between Alex and Lily for all her crazy antics and meddling! You can't help but laugh at her actions and poor Alex never had a chance!! He was doomed from their first meeting!! The chemistry between them sizzles! As their relationship develops, they end up saving each other, in ways no one else has been able to do in the past, to reach their happily ever after.

Truly a beautiful s
Sababa
And here I thought I had read Lisa Kleypas' best romance novel!! I loved Devil in Winter and Sugar Daddy, still do, but Then Came You, is altogether a different standard of romance. It is superbly written, with a heroine I won't ever forget! Lily is absolutely all the things women in those times lacked - wit, courage, beauty and the ability to be by her own.
When I read Derek's story I was a bit disappointed in him. But Then Came You brings out the best of Derek Craven! I literally howled readin
Regina
Not quite 4 stars, but better than 3 stars so I will give it my unofficial rating of 3.5 stars.

Then Came You is a book that I started to listen to several years ago and was just not interested in Lily, the main character. She seemed selfish and attention seeking and I was just not interested. I should have kept listening and I am glad I gave this book another chance.

Then Came You is one of Kleypas's earlier written historicals. And in both books in this series, the content is darker in terms of
Carol Storm
This is one of my favorite Lisa Kleypas novels -- I like the fact that she really challenges herself to create a heroine who is not the usual demure miss.

Lily Lawson is rougher, more outspoken, more sexually experienced, and more rebellious than most of the young ladies Lisa Kleypas writes about. And yet underneath the persona of "Lawless Lily" there is a wounded soul. Lisa Kleypas makes Lily both glamorous, and vulnerable. It's an amazing and compelling journey that this heroine takes!

Alec Rai
Mary
This was probably one of my least favorites by Lisa Kleypas.
It may be because I had already read the second book in this series, which means the characters had already been introduced and were already together. But when I read it I just couldn't concentrate on it. I got so bored with the characters. The romance felt lacking and almost dirty sometimes. Plus seeing the main character in the second book of the series flirting and 'in love' with Lily really pissed me off.
I recommend if you do want t
Keertana
I never thought I'd say it, but there definitely IS such a thing as being too strong. Both Lily and Alex, the leads of this historical romance, are simply too stubborn and too closed off from the world to make for entertaining characters. If anything, their constant bickering grated on me and got old quickly. After all, the sexual tension is prevalent, but the dialogue goes in circles. Now, to make it clear, this isn't a bad book at all, but it's just not one for me. I'm tired of the push-and-pu ...more
Rashika (is tired)
This is my first historical romance.
Huh. I may have underestimated them. By a lot. Or maybe I was just really lucky when I picked this one.
Umm still. Wow.

Oh my feels.
HOLY SHIT

I didn't really expect to have much of an emotional response to this book because I didn't expect too much but there were times when I could feel my eyes stinging and wow.
Nothing else to say.

You win.
Wendy
I read this particular Lisa Kleypas as part of a reading challenge. It was, as usual, beautifully written, funny, witty and romantic. The background plot was excellent and not one I've come across before.
Lily Lawson, the spirited, beautiful but thoroughly outrageous heroine is a very endearing character. However, I could not quite reconcile her behaviour with the events in her life which had happened barely two years previously. Alex Raiford, the Earl of Wolverton is a wonderful, delicious and h
Michelle
Everytime I read a Lisa Kleypas book I have a huge smile on my face and I feel all giddy inside. The first book of the Gambler Series was excellent! Lily Lawson is a ill mannered, wreckless, gambler who is trying to find her daughter who was stolen from her. Alex Raiford is still longing for his deceased fiance until he meets Lily. She is everything in a woman that is completely wrong for him. When Alex realizes he can't live without Lily they marry but Lily keeps her secret from Alex. She's afr ...more
Kim
Caution: Reading this book is an absolute sin, a guilty pleasure, a morbid addiction.
Generally, I can't stand the *cough* sex scenes. Thankfully, I have this uncanny ability to intelligently skip these saccharine parts, allowing me to still be able to grasp the bulk and excitement of the plot while preventing my opinion of the book from being tarnished.
And then the author weaves conversations and a huge hunk of romance between the making out.
Such strategy left me with no choice but to skim throu
Ezinwanyi~the Impish Angel  (Oh My Shelves)
WOW.
My first Lisa Kleypas book and the rumors are true--she is a great writer. I can't believe i have had this book for years.

Wilhemina "Lily" was a societal rebel. Thumbing her nose at the ton and doing everything she could possibly think of to scandalize her parents. She gambles, she goes hunting and she cut her curly locks short. She does everything opposite of what a proper society lady should.
Her parents shun her because their nerves and reputation can't take it, and they asked her not to
Corrine
I really didn't think I was going to like this book. I've tried starting a few times, and wound up skimming through and then setting it aside for another day. But this time, when I gave my full attention to the story, I wound up really enjoying it.

Lily Lawson is the antithesis of everything a well-bred lady should be. After being jilted at age 20 and estranging herself from her family, she and her eccentric aunt toured the Continent and lived in Italy where Lily was again betrayed by a man. When
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Lily is one of the strongest heroines I've ever read. She has had her illegitimate daughter stolen, has spent every last cent paying blackmail to keep the girl safe, and still has the energy to protect her younger sister from a loveless arranged marriage and set up a happy ending for Penny.

Lord Alex has met Lily's type before, fallen in love, and had the untimely death of his intended warp his view of life. He thought that marriage to an undemanding type would be the solution.

I do not know how L
Grace Cieleen
Absolutely splendid! After a streak of bad reads, I come home to a classic Kleypas! This book was recommended by GR buddy - Riddhi and I totally feel giddy all over as I recall the book and it's wonderful story! I love how this book encompasses all the Lisa factors: The heart wrenching lines, the deeply rooted back stories, the passionate exchange of I love you's and of course that Piping hot Lisa steam factor!

I absolutely loved the hero - Alex Raiford. On a scale of Lisa heroes, he ranks very h
Nenia *Genghis Khan soaked in sherbet*
Oh. My. God.

I don't--

I can't--

Gah!

Even though I finished this yesterday, I decided to sleep on the review because otherwise it would have consisted entirely of incoherent babbling.

I used to eschew romance entirely. I was a horrendous literary snob, and believed historical-romances were nothing but silly bodice rippers for people to read at the hair salon or whatever. But then I befriended two lovely ladies named Myrika and Louisa, and their glowing accolades of regency romance--as well as the hi
  • Surrender to the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #3)
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • The Last Hellion (Scoundrels, #4)
  • Private Arrangements
  • Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane, #2)
  • Untie My Heart
  • All Through the Night (Royal Agents #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn (Fairleigh Sisters, #3)
  • Unclaimed (Turner, #2)
  • Bound by Your Touch
  • The Duke (Knight Miscellany, #1)
  • How to Marry a Marquis (Agents of the Crown, #2)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
More about Lisa Kleypas...

The Gamblers (2 books)
  • Dreaming of You (Gamblers, #2)
Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1) Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3) Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1) It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2) Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3)

“Sooner or later everyone was driven to love someone they could never have.” 28 likes
“I want to give you whatever elusive, impossible, goddamned mysterious thing it is you need in order to be happy. Does that frighten you? Well, it frightens the hell out of me. Don't you think I'd stop feeling this way if I could? It's not as if you're the easiest woman in the world to—" He checked himself suddenly.” 24 likes