Start by marking “Princess in the Spotlight (The Princess Diaries, #2)” as Want to Read:
Princess in the Spotlight (The Princess Diaries, #2)

Princess in the Spotlight (The Princess Diaries #2)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  33,074 ratings  ·  837 reviews
Just when Mia thought she had the whole Princess thing under control ...Things get out of hand, fast:

Library Binding, 240 pages
Published June 26th 2001 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published July 3rd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Princess in the Spotlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princess in the Spotlight

Skinnerbox
Apr 01, 2008 Skinnerbox rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers
Shelves: meg-c
This i very interesting book. I realy love M.C. books. I think she's very, very clever and modern. I realy like that Mia is a feminist;)
I luve Princess Diaries;)
Susanna
I've never liked the movies, but at least they cut out most of the unnecessary junk that fills these books. Are boyfriends and kissing really the most important things on the mind of the average 15-year-old girl?
Sabine
The princess stuff isn't getting easier and to add to that, Mia is receiving letters from a secret admirer who may or may not be the boy she has had a crush on since she was six, her mom has just revealed she is pregnant with Mia's Algebra teacher, and her best friend has run off with her attractive, but small-town cousin who is visiting for her mom's wedding. What is a princess to do?

After reading the first book in this series I went to the library and just happened to see the rest of the books
Liv.
May 02, 2008 Liv. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone.
Recommended to Liv. by: Nobody.
-from inside flap-
Just when Mia thought she had the whole Princess thing under control...

Things get out of hand fast:

Since Mia's the brand-new crown princess of Genovia, indomitable dowager princess Grandmere arranges a national primetime interview for her. With just a few innocent remarks, Mia manages to enrage her best friend Lilly, practically get one of her teachers fired, and alienate the entire country of Genovia. (Population 50,000, but still!)

There's the havoc of the interview's aftermat
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
While the storyline in this one isn't as fresh and exciting as the first one, it still holds solid and Mae hasn't yet changed much.

It takes place only days after the end of the previous book - I have a quibble with how fast everything moves, and how soon this could have happened - when Mia learns that her mum is pregnant with her algebra teacher's baby. They decide to get married on Halloween at City Hall and keep it quiet.

It's Mia herself who blurts out the news not just to her dad and Grandmot
Kelsey F
Right now, Mia Thermopolis’s life is at an all time low. She just found out she is heir to the throne of the small European country Genovia, she is failing algebra, and her mom is pregnant with her algebra teacher’s baby. So what else can go wrong? Well believe me; tons. Because now she also has to deal with a secret admirer and an interview on her newly obtained throne which will air on national TV. The main question is will Mia be able to handle all this or will she crack under pressure?
Mikaela
this the first time in many months that I gave a book 5 stars. I mean it wasn't that life changing or deep or anything it was just that I COULD RELATE TO IT SO MUCH. I don't even know if I should be ashamed or freaked out that I can relate to a 14 year old teen. i mean, what is wrong with me?! lol Well, I can't literally relate to it like the princess part but in some way that she says thing, and how she thinks can somewhat makes me say 'oh my god YES'.

spoilers below.... beware lol

Okay, back to
Jessica
Grade: B+

Oh Meg Cabot, I love you, I really, really do. So charming, so funny, so witty, so ironic. If I had read this series when it was first published when I was ten years younger, it would definitely had been a different experience for me. This is a book for young girls, but Meg Cabot never fails to throw in things for us "adults" that we might have missed the first time around while reading as preteens/teenagers. And that is one of the many reasons I love her!

Meg Cabot has a very distinct w
ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥
And the story of Mia continues..

First book left us at when the identity of Mia (or Princess Mia to be accurate) was exposed. Now, as it mentioned on the book summary Just when Mia thought she had the whole princess thing under control, things get out of hand, fast. Yep! that's what happens..

As soon as the book starts, we get to know that Mia's mom is pregnant from her Algebra teacher. Then, Mia finds letter from a secret admirer while trying to figure out her feelings for her BFF's brother, Mich
Arielle
Rebecca
It’s been a while since I had read the first Princess diaries book but lately I have been looking for more books to read that are light and fun so I decided it was time to continue on with the Princess Diaries series again.
I enjoyed reading Princess in the Spotlight. It didn’t take me very long to read through the book either. They’re the kind of book that you can pick up and read in no time because they’re fun reads. While I wouldn’t go so far as to say that it was fluffy because it does have i
Kathy Davie
Second in the Princess Diaries Young Adult series about a geeky fourteen-year-old girl who has learned she's a princess and heir to a throne.

My Take
Cabot does a good job of portraying typical teen self-centeredness, frustrations, and obsessions. Mia is something of a dingbat, but also a typical teen making everything about her, jumping to conclusions, and almost never thinking before she acts or speaks.

I do like the diary layout. It's so perfect for conveying Mia's thoughts!

How is it that Philli
Livvy
I'm actually giving this book a three and a half star rating. And let me warn you if you think that these books are anything like the movie. AT ALL. Because the first book covered the first half of the movie, and the other half isn't in this book, despite everyone's longing.

I love the books and the movies equally, and this book is whimsical and hilarious, considering Mia's worrying qualities. In this book, Mia is thrust into more teen girl dilemmas within the first sentence. Well, actually, I gu
Rachel Lightwood
This review may contain unavoidable spoilers for The Princess Diaries.

What a load of rubbish. This book is a waste of paper. I cry for the poor trees that were used to print this piece of trash. I cannot believe that this got published. Its absolutely crap, to put it bluntly.

Mia's life was turned around in The Princess Diaries when her father was revealed to be the prince of a small European country called Genovia and thus Mia a princess. The worst part is that after his stunt with testicular ca
Natalie
Without pregnancy-hormone-induced romantic dreams, how else am I supposed to remember what it's like to have high school crushes? Reading Meg Cabot books, of course. As far as teeny-bopper books, there's the wonderful Twilight series, of course, and then, I read Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and it was good and all, but I was pretty much done after one book & I could leave the sequels alone. But I'm more impressed with the Princess Diaries & I'm enjoying them. Yes, I know... probably ...more
Once Upon A Time
I like this book to a certain extent. My actual rating is 3.5.

So Mia is sitting there writing in her journal and her mom says she is having a baby. Mia made a bigger deal than it actually is. She took it to the next level. She isn't suppose to tell anyone. Then her mom says she is getting married to her Algebra teacher. Not creepy at all.Right? So any ways she deals with being a normal girl at times then a not so normal girl.

Meg Cabot I love all your writing. I think you got into the mind of a t
Lacey Louwagie
We all need a little fluff in our repertoire, and this definitely does it for me more than Twilight or crappy romance novels. It's been about 7 years since I read the first Princess Diaries novel, and I'd forgotten about how much fun they are. This is one of the few series where I just suspend my disbelief and have fun with it. So I'm feeling generous and giving this 4 stars for accomplishing what it attempts to accomplish and being enjoyable to read -- even though the crush-on-best-friend's-bro ...more
Teenage
May 06, 2014 Teenage rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle school girls
Shelves: 2014, books-i-own, series
Princess Mia is back with a whole new set of problems. When she final gets the hang of being a princess, everything changes fast. Mia found out in the first volume that she is the only heir to the throne of the small European country called Genovia. From that she made the agreement with her farther that if she finishes school in New York she will visit (and one day rule) Genovia. With that her first appearance as the princess will take place in December. Her Grandmére has been giving her princes ...more
Pamela
Fun and light teenage point of view.

I enjoyed this volume slightly better than the last one. Not sure why, maybe I had a good idea who they were, Mia was less whiny and there were many events, one after the other that made this reading fun and exciting from beginning to end.

It's still only a 4-star rated book because it wasnt too deep or didnt have any real chracter development to admire. She does become more thoughtful and grown up (more with the matter concerning her mom), but it's still not
Hafeleni
Book report
26 February 2014
Princess Diaries 2: Princess in the Spotlight

Princess diaries 2: Princess in the spotlight, is a second book by Meg Cabot continuing from her first Princess Diaries Book. After Mia finds out she is a princess, her life gets even more different. Mia finds out that her mom is pregnant with her Algebra teacher's baby and then they are getting married. Mia still continues having princess lessons from her grandmother. She has to go through an interview with a sweet women, w
Rania

It all started when Mia had to do a speech for her interview because she is the brand new princess of Genovia. The interview was on T.V. This is when Mia got a secret admirer. He kept on sending her bunch of love letters. Mia really wanted to know who was it she kept on doing rechearch about him she found no information, all she knew was that he was a boy and in love of her.

The day after ,Mia disapeared and no one knew were she was. All they had was her princess diary. Everyone was so worried t
Hannah
Personally, I loved this book.

The Princess Diaries is a very famous series by Meg Cabot, and the Disney film is highly loved by everyone. However, after reading the first book again, I decided to re-read the second book and found myself loving it even more then before. Honestly, when I was younger and I read this: I wasn't thrilled. However, now I can admit that I loved it.

The Princess Diaries: Princess In The Spotlight is the second book in the series and is even more relatable then the first
Andreia Silva
Mia Thermopolis, como todos já sabemos, é uma princesa de um país não muito distante de nós (tirando o facto de ser fictício), chamado Genóvia. Tem uma avó má (gosto mais da do filme, confesso) e uma paixoneta pelo irmão da melhor amiga, o Michael.

Neste segundo volume temos uma Mia na mesma desastrada, desleixada mas com um coração gigante. A Mia dos livros é um bocadinho mais parvinha do que a Mia dos filmes (até porque a Anne Hathaway nunca o conseguiria) mas a história em si, tal como no prim
Ashley
Krizia Anna
Princess Mia is such a lovable and relatable character which makes the second installment of "Princess Diaries" fun and easy to read. I think almost every girl's dream is to be princess but not everyone looks like one which makes the book a peoples' book, something that is close to people's heart. I have no doubt that Mia would be a great ruler to Genovia.
Lisa
I found this cuter and more likeable than the first Princess Diaries book. I don't know why. Maybe I was just more in the mood to read a silly book.

The second book is just Mia having a crush on Michael and having a secret admirer, as well as dealing with her mother being pregnant. Nothing crazy but it's short and cute.

Sonja - Intellectual Badass
7.5
‘The Princess Diaries: Take Two’ is lovely sequel to its predecessor. The characters are great. They are original, fun and intense. There are not many events happening in the novel, some quite shocking events occur, however I would have preferred if there were more incidents or phenomenons happening. Mia’s diary is more full of other stuff than in the first novel, for example Mia’s English diary is in it. I love the sarcasm that Mia uses, it is really funny to read. I love how Mia gradually a
Candice M (tinylibrarian)
Oct 25, 2007 Candice M (tinylibrarian) rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Meg Cabot, the Princess Diaries films, preteens
Further adventures of a shy high school freshman who discovers, to her great dismay, that she is the princess of a small European country. Really I think I just read this because I love the Moscovitzes, which are somewhat minor characters in this series.
Therese
I s2g I almost took away another star because of the stupid editing mistakes, but that's of course the fault of the norwegian translation, not the original book. But still. What the heck. Did I just read some kind of unfinished copy? You don't have three editors note about needing translations for words in the middle of the text in a book! And one time is a honest mistake so that wouldn't have bothered me that much. But three times. And one time on the first page!! Yeah, you heard me right. The ...more
Heather Clark
Not so bad. I like these books better than the oh-so-Disnified movie, but I suspect that by the time I start on the third one, I'll start feeling let down. :)
YA lovers <3: Princess In The Spotlight\ Take Two 1 1 Jul 10, 2014 11:13PM
Princess in the Spotlight 2 11 Mar 04, 2014 04:10PM
Meg Cabot Fan Club: Princess In The Spotlight 1 4 Oct 31, 2013 02:08PM
Princess in the spotlight 5 50 May 31, 2012 08:09PM
  • Away Laughing on a Fast Camel (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #5)
  • The Second Summer of the Sisterhood (Sisterhood, #2)
  • Lucky T
  • Blonde Ambition (A-List, #3)
  • Dates, Double Dates and Big, Big Trouble (Ally's World, #2)
  • I Like It Like That (Gossip Girl, #5)
  • Calling the Shots (Angels Unlimited, #4)
  • Spells & Sleeping Bags (Magic in Manhattan, #3)
  • Family Affairs (Secrets of My Hollywood Life, #3)
  • Girls in Tears (Girls, #4)
  • Alice In-Between (Alice, #6)

More about Meg Cabot...
The Princess Diaries (The Princess Diaries, #1) Size 12 Is Not Fat (Heather Wells, #1) All-American Girl (All-American Girl, #1) Shadowland (The Mediator, #1) Queen of Babble (Queen of Babble, #1)