Start by marking “The Hunting Ground” as Want to Read:
The Hunting Ground

The Hunting Ground

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  45 reviews
When Elliott and his brother move into the old and crumbling Glebe House they don't expect to find themselves sharing it with ghosts. But soon sinister events are unfolding. An old diary reveals glimpses of the mansion's past - and of a terrible tragedy. An old woman talks to ghosts - but is she in fact being controlled by them? And what of the sinister East Wing - a hideo...more
Published July 1st 2011 by Orion (first published May 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Hunting Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hunting Ground

Taภya
I give this book 3.5 stars.

The book started of quite well, with Eve at the beginning, When she was dragging her doll around on the floor.

But after reading few more chapters in the book, i found the book wasn't scary at all really.

The only thing i didn't really like was when they were reading the dairy of Theo Stark, i did at first, but then when they found more of the dairy pages, it didn't seem like a dairy anymore it started turning into a first person perspective.

But this was a great read.
Kirsty
This is a young teenage ghost novel that I think would suit an age range of around 12-14. The book starts off well and delves straight into a creepy scene with no slow build up. Tension is created right from the beginning and I actually found the start of the book quite unnerving. What can be more scary than small Victorian ghost girls that drag their dolls behind them, leaning over you in the middle of the night? Still gives me chills thinking about it...

The end of the book is also quite drama...more
Arjun Thakrar (Excellent Reads)
When Elliott and his brother, Ben, move into the old and crumbling Glebe House they don't expect to find themselves sharing it with ghosts. But soon sinister events are unfolding. An old diary reveals glimpses of the mansion's past - and of a terrible tragedy. A mysterious woman talks to the dead. And evil lurks in the East Wing - a hideous labyrinth of passageways devised by a truly twisted mind. Can Elliott and his family escape the clutches of Glebe House? Or will they be trapped in the maze...more
Nikki-ann
I haven’t read a ghost story in a while, so I thought a young adult book wouldn’t be too scary of a re-introduction to ghost stories. However, The Hunting Ground is quite creepy for a kids book! I guess that’s why it says “Not for younger readers” on the back of the book!

I found the book to start very well, with tension building immediately. I certainly felt a little wary when I put the book down and turned off the light… If anything had made a sound shortly after I’d put the book down, I’d have...more
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
Chilling and really haunting.

When the characters are kids.. it's really hard not to get goosebumps, that's for sure.
The plot is surely well thought of. The characters have a mind of their own.

I like the twists and turns. I just have a love-hate relationship when it comes to the cheesy parts.

All in all, still a scary, yet really interesting and intense book.
Serendipity Reviews
Cliff McNIsh knows how to scare the pants off you! This book is full to the brim of hair raising, spine tingling, ghostly moments that will leave you constantly looking over your shoulder. You won't be able to sleep at night, as you analyse each and every sound to convince yourself there is no such thing as ghosts!

This book is told from the point of view of Elliott, a sixteen year old boy who has moved into a rather sinister house with his father and younger brother, whilst his dad repairs the h...more
Beth Kemp
I read this in a day, because I started it on the way to work, continued on the way home and snuck away to finish it before dinner so that I would be able to comfortably go to bed. This is not a book for the very young (and I wouldn’t recommend it at bedtime, either!). It’s no gory horror, but it is excruciatingly tense. Cliff McNish is a skilful craftsman who knows how to manipulate the tension level and keep you guessing – there is a mystery element to this novel as well.

As the blurb shows, t...more
Kirsty (overflowing library)
The Hunting ground is a really creepy thriller which will play on your mind long after you finish reading it. It is well written and keeps you engrossed all the way through, with every word precisely selected and masterfully deployed to scare the pants off you.

The story centres around a family of three Elliot, Ben and their Dad who have moved into a creepy old mansion to renovate it. As time goes on strange things are seen and heard which makes the family start to worry that there might be somet...more
Luna
I’m not a fan of ghost stories but I couldn’t resist this and I’m so glad I didn’t. The Hunting Ground is creepy and disturbing for all the right reasons. I was so engrossed in the story I forgot pretty much everything around me.

The Hunting Ground has a split narration; most of the story follows Elliott and his younger brother as they unravel the mystery of Glebe House but one of their clues is the diary of a young boy called Theo whose family were the last occupants at Glebe House in the 1960s....more
Christine
This book was creepy. It wasn't that scary, no. But the dark atmosphere of the book lingers like a dark cloud above it's reader's head, even long after you've read the book. The way the writer depicted and wrote the story seems normal enough while you're reading, but before you know it, once you get sucked into the world of Elliott and Ben, you'll most definitely feel it--a slight chill in the back of your bones, that someone's-watching-me feeling creeping in.

I found myself inexplicably drawn o...more
Sam Pope
Another chiller from Cliff McNish - although a young adult author his books are as scary as any adult ones I have read. In this, two brothers are tormented by the ghost of a young girl almost immediately after they arrive at Glebe House, which their dad has been commissioned to renovate. The secret seems to lie in the East Wing and in the old lady who wanders the grounds in a dress covered in wilting flowers. Increasingly, the younger boy Ben becomes obsessed with the portraits of the former mas...more
Vee
OK SO FIRST OF ALL I'D LIKE TO SAY THAT I HATE HORROR AND THRILLER NOVELS BECAUSE THEY SCARE THE CRAP OUT OF ME!
BUT I FORTUNATELY READ THIS ONE AND REALLY ENJOYED IT! :D

so the setting was great, a bit cliche,(seeing how everyone goes for the haunted, gothic, eerily beautiful mansion,) but nonetheless great.
the characters were great too and I loved the way they were protrayed. the ghosts were freaking scary at first but upon finding out about their intentions, i started to warm up to them.
of co...more
Emma Adams
A creepy mansion with a tragic past not quite buried and an evil presence in the corridors… Cliff McNish tells a classic ghost story which proves that some things never fail to send chills down the spine, and sometimes, traditional ghost stories work best.

When siblings, Ben and Elliott, move into an old estate, they don’t expect their sleep to be disturbed by strange noises, nor the corridors to be filled with creepy paintings of the previous owner standing over the corpses of hunted animals.

The...more
Teresa
I do enjoy a good ghost story especially those with a subtle build up which don't rely on blood and gore to terrorise the reader - think The Woman in Black by Susan Hill, the ghost stories of M R James and, more recently, Dark Matter by Michelle Paver. I don't think there are enough good ghostly books out there for young teens as the focus has been on vampires and is now turning to zombies so this is a neglected zone which Cliff McNish is exploring. This is my first foray into the world of McNis...more
Jess
The Hunting Ground sounded so intriguing, going off the synopsis and the reviews, and the beginning did not disappoint. However, I quickly discovered that what started off creepy and interesting, turned out to be quite cheesy. When I say 'cheesy' I mean the Halloween movies that Disney make that were totally scary when I watched them as a 8-12 year old, but now are silly and flawed. Although the plot (and some tiny other details) were not very well thought through, Mcnish's writing style and sce...more
Adele Broadbent
This is a great ghost story with a bit of a difference. The ghosts of children are still hanging around wanting vengeance on the man who killed them. He's an evil dude, with a twisted bent for hunting. But who will be the hunted and who will do the hunting?

Rachel
A Haunting Hunt

I was sent a copy of this to review.

This story of two brothers and their father who roam the country renovating houses slips comfortably into an easy reading style. Pages slip past under your fingers and before you know it the birds are singing outside the winter.

The tale starts with the ghost of the little girl, Amy, watching the boys sleep and descends further into terror with each passing page. The tales of the former occupants is told in back story through the medium of pages...more
Sarahkmartinuk
Enjoyed this book, easy to read but not very scary!
Heather
Creepy little tale, interesting concept.
Larissa Wroe-Doyle
this was a awesome book to read. it kept me on the edge of my seat. i couldn't put it down. i hope theres a number two where cullayn returns
Shauna Tyndall
I was expecting good things of this book but didn't get them. The basic plot is good - two brothers and their father move into an old house that just happens to be haunted by the ghost of a sadistic killer. But the end result is a disappointment and actually a touch on the childish side despite the fact that 'Not suitable for younger readers' is on the back. I didn't read anything that would be unsuitable for younger readers. I don't know, it just wasn't for me.
Annmarie Ager
i really enjoyed this book. as a bit horror fan this was my sort of thing while its still for young adults the horror is at a minimum but the chills the book gave me and the times i looked over my shoulder whole reading the just proves how good the book is. the book had an amazing story that leaves you wondering why you may in bed DID I HEAR A NOISE....IS THAT SHODOW MOVING....DO I HEAR WHISPERS. if you like a scare but with minimum blood read this :)
Raa
I picked this up at my school library because I have always loved ghost stories. This seemed a little cheesy when I read the synopsis and looked at the cover. But once I started reading, I could not stop and it genuinely gave me chills. It is a very unique ghost story and very cleverly written.
Clare Wilson
This was a great read from start to finish.

Having seen Cliff at the Edinburgh Book Festival last year, I decided to pick this one up, and I wasn't disappointed.

This ghostly tale keeps you on the edge of your seat. When I did manage to put it down, I was afraid to turn the light off!
Vicky
Feb 20, 2012 Vicky rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Vicky by: Me
This book was pretty awesome, though it's not one you want to read during the night. (I stayed up till two thanks to this book, and I finished it in one sitting :D) It gave me the chills, but the plot was fairly well put together. I was talking about all trough the next day XD
Andra
very good haunted house story- brought the characters (including the main entity and the house itself) top life and I couldn't put this book down. Some images still remain in my head- and that proves it was a good read!
Kelly
This was not what i was expecting! A great book that i couldn't put down which worried me because of what the portraits did in the books... This book also managed to scare me a little and that's never happened before!
Kellyann
It was pretty good, very interesting, and kinda creepy. I enjoyed it over all. I couldn't put it down, i liked the characters, and it drew me in. It may seem cheesy, but its pretty good.
  • The Waiting Room
  • House of Echoes
  • Hollow Pike
  • The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories
  • The Guardians
  • The Diamond Thief (The Diamond Thief, #1)
  • The Unseen
According to my Mum, when I was arriving in this world on the night of 24th August 1962 the electricity in the house failed, and all the lights went out. So I was born part in darkness and part in candlelight. I’ve no idea what significance that has, but it sounds impressive somehow…

I was born in Sunderland, a city in the north-east of England. I’d like to say I picked up the local Mackam accent,...more
More about Cliff McNish...
Breathe: A Ghost Story The Doomspell (Doomspell, #1) Angel The Scent of Magic (Doomspell, #2) The Wizard's Promise (Doomspell, #3)