An Agent of Deceit (Ben Webster, #2)

An Agent of Deceit (Ben Webster #2)

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A powerful man with a deadly secret. A desperate spy dying to find it . . .
Published May 1st 2011 by Mantle (first published 2011)

Ian Young
An Agent of Deceit is an intelligent and convincing thriller set in the world of international finance. The story is told alternatively from the perspective of two lead characters.

Lock is a Dutch lawyer, brought up in the UK, who is employed by a shadowy Russian businessman. Over the course of a decade or so finds himself irrevocably tied to an increasingly complex network of companies whose chief purpose appears to be to disguise the passage of large sums of money originating somewhere in Russ...more
Gerald Sinstadt
John Le Carré casts a long shadow. If not the originator of espionage novels, he has taken the genre to a challenging new level. Books by other authors regularly emerge invoking the Le Carré name as recommendation. Very few - perhaps Alan Furst and Joseph Kanon - justify the claim. But now here is a new name delivering a first novel of quite stunning achievement.

Chris Morgan Jones postulates a pernicious enmity between two men of unimaginable wealth. One, Konstantin Malin, is a Russian oligarch...more
Michael Drysdale
This financial/espionage thriller is about a shady Greek businessman’s attempt to destroy a Russian oligarch, Malin. This is done by employing British investigator Ben Webster who decides to investigate the oligarch’s front man, Dutch lawyer Richard Lock. The story is seen through the eyes of these two characters.
I thought the book was very well written with a style similar to John Le Carre. The book describes how a maze of offshore companies might be used for money laundering. I found this inte...more
R.J. Lynch
Ignore the shortcomings--it's a great read.
This book went from a solid four stars to a deserved five stars right at the finish, with a stunning and completely unexpected ending. The characterisation isn't up to much--you won't believe in the people or their motivations any more than I did--but this is a thriller, not a work of literary fiction, and as a thriller it's brilliant. Excellent pace, well thought out plot, good dialogue. A winner.
John
Taut, intelligent, unflashy spy thriller which made me want to follow up on the writer's other novels. As a good thriller should, it starts slowly but then gradually builds to an unexpected (by me) climax. Ben Webster is definitely not a hero, but is not an anti-hero either. You are made, by the writer's skill to feel some sympathy for him and the other main protagonist, Richard Lock, but not too much.
I enjoyed it a lot and found myself not doing other things to read more which is a compliment t...more
Carey Combe
Ben
A good first book by author . Enjoyed it . I Buzzed though this & gave me a good insight that lead me to read treasure islands by Nicholas Shaxson .
Keith Whitelam
A tense thriller set in the overlapping worlds of finance and espionage. A very enjoyable read. Looking forward to reading his most recent work.
Colin Luker
Good easy to read story with interesting characters. Well worth a read. Have not read this author before but wil certainly try him again.
Dianne
A well written taut novel featuring Ben Webster, a private detective, which had me engaged throughout.
Darren Hosken
Classy thriller. Resonances of John Le Carre.
Maria Boardman
Ok but the characters were a bit weak.
Sophie
Good intelligent thriller.
Colin
Colin is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2014
Tolossa Bedada
Tolossa Bedada marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Paola Gonzalez
Paola Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Elaine Burrows
Elaine Burrows marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Ty03sam
Ty03sam marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Charles Sweeney
Charles Sweeney marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Rich
Rich added it
May 24, 2014
Beverley Evans
Beverley Evans marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Graeme Rennie
Graeme Rennie marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Very authentic 1 2 Aug 25, 2012 06:27AM
The Silent Oligarch (Ben Webster, #1) The Jackal's Share (Ben Webster, #3)