Start by marking “Grace from the Garden: Changing the World One Garden at a Time” as Want to Read:
Grace from the Garden: Changing the World One Garden at a Time

Grace from the Garden: Changing the World One Garden at a Time

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  7 reviews

"Gardening is the most basic of languages, the labor from which we're all born and nourished. . . ."

In these pages, we travel the country with Debra Landwehr Engle as she visits 20 gardens and gardeners from California to Maine and Minnesota to Arkansas, showing us that grassroots campaigns actually can and do involve roots--and seeds and garden trowels. That any person w
Published May 23rd 2003 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Grace from the Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grace from the Garden

Michelle Voelker
As a gardener, I enjoyed the individual stories of hope and generosity. I also enjoyed getting to know each gardener and their individual stories. Ms. Engle provides enough details and information that a chapter is enough for each individual story.
Christina
Some people might feel the stories told this book seem a bit repetitive, and the writing might not be super wonderful, but in this case, I don't care. Each story is worth being told and heard, and thank goodness Mrs. Engle chose to take the time to do it. What a great reason to write a book:to showcase real-life accounts of compassion and service. I found that it was good to read one or two accounts each day and then let their importance and lessons have a place in my thoughts.
Tráese
Always a nice time to open this gem back up again--

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."
-William Shakespeare
Barbara
Group of short stories, how gardens connect people to other people and to their environment. Great for people who love gardening and for community activists - scocial workers.
A collection of stories about people and their gardens. All of the gardeners are working to make the world a better place. Nice bedside reading for any gardener.
Jane
Interesting stories about people gardening and gardens but a little goes a long way for me. Halfway thru I am ready to stop reading it.
Jill
I felt I needed something beside chick lit to read. It was interesting. I didn't love it, but I did finish it.
Jillian Millsap
Jillian Millsap marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Jenny Justice
Jenny Justice marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Priscilla
Priscilla is currently reading it
Mar 09, 2015
Gabby  Hukill
Gabby Hukill marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Nicole Donze
Nicole Donze marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Jan Roberts
Jan Roberts marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Allison Bourgeois
Allison Bourgeois marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Y.L. Lael
Y.L. Lael marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2013
Bobbi
Bobbi is currently reading it
May 02, 2013
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
I grew up loving books. Some of my earliest memories are of trips to the grand old library in downtown Des Moines, where we'd pull book after book off the shelves in the children's section and carry them home with great anticipation.

One of my sisters (I'm the youngest of six kids) and I had an ongoing contest to see who could read the most Newbery Award books. We'd pick up bookmarks at the librar
More about Debra Landwehr Engle...
Only Little Prayer You Need: The Shortest Route to a Life of Joy, Abundance, and Peace of Mind The Only Little Prayer You Need: The Shortest Route to a Life of Joy, Abundance, and Peace of Mind Winter: Women's Stories, Poems, and Inspiration for the Season of Rest and Renewal Fall Women's Stories and Poems for the Season of Wisdom and Gratitude Summer: Women's Writings for the Season of Beauty and Resilience