Start by marking “Lily and the Major (Orphan Train, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lily and the Major (Orphan Train, #1)

Lily and the Major (Orphan Train #1)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,097 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Back by popular demand: The first novel in the romantic Orphan Train trilogy, Lily and the Major—the beloved historical classic about a woman who must choose between her family and her one true love, by #1 New York Times bestselling author Linda Lael Miller.

In his arms, she discovered how tender—and how bold—true passion could be…

Lily Chalmers wanted only two things from l
Published May 24th 2011 by Pocket Books (first published December 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Lily and the Major, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lily and the Major

JLC
This has to be the horniest hero I've ever read. Seriously, every conversation or thought process this dude had centered around him bumping uglies with the heroine. He even wanted to 'take her' between the biscuits & butter dish on the table everybody just got finished eating from. LOL, it was kind of funny... to a certain extent. But after awhile, I started feeling like I was spending way too much time with a 16 yr. old boy... or a pair of humping chihuahuas.

I feel a bit loony after readin
Christel
Mar 28, 2009 Christel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: LLM readers and Historical romance readers
I really liked this book. It is in the Orphan Train Series. The characters were will developed and the plot of the story was also good. Just to see the developement of the storyline and the ending were just good enough to keep you interested.
Becky ♡The Bookworm♡
The first chapter of the Orphan Train series introduces us to Lily Chalmers, a six year old girl who's been sent west on the orphan train with her two sisters. Abandoned by their mother, the girls are soon separated, adopted in to homes one by one, leaving Lily alone as the train continues it's westward journey. Fast forward about fifteen years and Lily is now a grown woman, a strong girl who refuses to give up hope that she will find her lost siblings...if she just keeps writing letters and sta ...more
Wendy
I have to say that I really thought that this book would be better. I had seen it many times in the book stores and thought about grabbing it, but now that I have read it I can't figure out why it is everywhere when many of her other books are so much better. I could see that this was an early work of hers right off the bat. And I took that into consideration. But over all I couldn't ignore the repetitive nature of this book.

Lily is a woman that was abandoned by her mother and separated by her
Yz the Whyz
The first book in a trilogy about three orphans.

This is the story of Lily, the youngest of the three. Lily's dream is to have her own farm and find her sisters. One glance at Lily and Major Caleb wants her for his mistress.

A tale of two stubborn individuals, each bent on getting their own ways, but are helpless against their attraction with each other. Together, they learned the importance of compromise as they slowly learned to trust each other, and finally found love.

It's a pretty decent stor
Captmashpea
Sep 02, 2014 Captmashpea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was awful. I really can't think of a redeeming quality about it. I just hated all of the characters. I hated the girl because she was an idiot. She was trying to be a feminist, while completely and utterly failing at it. I hated the guy because he was misogynist and completely manipulated her but was like "you manipulated me", shut up you manipulated her. I hated all the other characters because they were supposed to be Lily's friends and guardians and supposed to look out for her but ...more
Lauren
Apr 01, 2015 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, western
Lily and her sisters were put on the orphan train heading west. Separated when lily was six she has spent her life trying to find them. Caleb is in the military and when he first spies lily all he wants is for her to be his mistress, lily on the other hand has plans for her life.

The characters and storyline were okay but I was never really riveted. I am interested to see what happens with Lilly's sisters.
Joanna
Mar 10, 2014 Joanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I am sorry, but Lilly was one of the most annoying heroines I have even encountered in a romance novel. She is stubborn to excess and quite honestly, an idiot. She gives it all of the time, even when treated like crap. She has absolutely no self respect. Oh sure, I will give it up to you all of the time, but treat you like a complete jerk any other time. Caleb is a stud who actually comes off better than Lilly, only because he isn't an absolute idiot like she is. I started the trilogy with ...more
Addicted2Luv
Oct 20, 2008 Addicted2Luv rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: American Historical Romance
Loved the characters and the setting (Washington territory 1800's). 1st in the Orphan Train series.
Gerd
Nov 16, 2013 Gerd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tausch
Another visit to Romancelandia, and though I enjoyed myself more than last time, I can still safely say that Historical Romance isn't mine.

However, on the plus side stands that the main protag at least recognizes the stupidity of being blindly driven by lust - not that it helps her any, but still it's nice to have a character that admits to their actions being nonsensical.
She's not just educated but also, at times, willing to make use of it and to take a stand for herself and womankind.

On the mi
Amanda
Dec 20, 2011 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book, but Lily was kind of a combination of my favorite kind of character and my least favorite character and I just couldn't like it. I did finish it. I was getting literary whiplash from the two of them going Yes-No-Yes-Yes-No and so on and so forth. One minute she is proud and ambitious and then next he is using her. I did not like this male lead whatsoever! He was far too commanding and not in the sexy way.

I hated how everyone was saying "Marry him" when all he was off
Marilyn
May 25, 2014 Marilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
IF you are unfamiliar with the concept of the "orphan trains" that for many, many years took orphans from the east to an uncertain destiny in the west this will give you some insight. Most orphans lost all contact with any family. Some were treated well; others were taken in only as free labor for the farm. The three sisters in this series were old enough that they were able to reconnect. They had very different experiences after they left the train.
Adrina
Mar 09, 2015 Adrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After more than 20 years,I re-read this novel & still I rate it as one of my fav novels of all time. The Orphan Train Trilogy were the author's earliest books & in my opinion some of her best work. Her later books lack the soul, feel & wit which her earlier books had in abundance.
Katie
May 06, 2012 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wendy Tavenner
Jul 09, 2014 Wendy Tavenner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must have read this book for the first time 20 or more years ago. It stayed with me that long, that I had to read it again. I read it on Oyster and it's still a wonderful book! Linda Lael Miller is such a great writer. Poor Lily, Emma & Caroline are put on the orphan train by her mother, the train headed west from Chicago. Each sister was taken in by someone at different stops. Lily is determined to find her sisters and plans to stay in one place like she was taught if she got lost!!! She ...more
Fiki
I read this book when I was much younger and I liked it. After reading it again a few days ago i realized it was truly awful. i did not enjoy it at all. The major was alright but lily was silly and ridiculous.
Nenya
Sep 24, 2014 Nenya rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the main idea... but (view spoiler)
Jane
I really struggled with this book and almost quit reading it a dozen times but I have enjoyed other books by Ms Miller so I stuck with it.

The h was so ridiculous and passive aggressive, she didn't want the H but kept asking him to make love to her. At the same time she was determined to show she could do everything on her own but always turned to someone else to help her. She was just all over the place and not someone I could connect with.

The H was so manipulated by the h I couldn't connect wi
Julie
Jun 01, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! Have re-read it multiple times over the years and it is always enjoyable. Fun series!
Marcia
Aug 03, 2014 Marcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I pictured a young Howard Keel as Caleb. The book was like an old MGM movie.
Katheline
Aug 03, 2014 Katheline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
perfect!
Corinne
The characters in this book were hard to like. They were immature, indecisive, and didn't grow throughout the book. What peaked my curiosity about this book was the Orphan Train aspect, and I am curious enough to continue to learn more about that backstory. Unfortunately her reason for being on the orphan train is her mother fell in love with a soldier who told her to get rid of the daughters? And a subplot was Lily being afraid of becoming a floosie because of that. Didn't really connect.
Betty
May 14, 2014 Betty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not the book I was expecting as I am not a huge fan of romantic novels.
Natalya
Aug 09, 2012 Natalya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
She drove me crazy with her indecisiveness and modern woman ways, which are silly given that in the times she lived in she clearly couldn't afford them, which means they were even more foolish. He drove me crazy with his chauvinist ways, unwilling to comply with typical romance plot and just marry her, for god's sake. Very unsatisfying, but maybe in a good way... it did make me want to read the other two in the series about the sisters that she lost in an orphan train.
Dawn
Jul 16, 2014 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't read a book like this in awhile, but I like the Western Romance storylines. I enjoy Linda Lael Miller's books, but this wasn't one of my favorites. Lily was a hard character to like. She was immature and annoying at times. For the most part though, I enjoyed the story. I am going to read the other two books in this series, so I can find out if the three sisters reunite.
CJ - So, you wanna play with magic?
2.7

I've come to realize that Miller loves her hero's to 'suckle' and 'feast' on the heroine's breasts. Disconcerting and oedipal to say the least.

Also, why does every heroine almost get raped? Sometimes more than once?

Eh.

Not the worst book but not the best book. The heroine drove me crazy with her foolish stubbornness and the hero was too Alpha.
Tia
Dec 09, 2013 Tia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My least favorite book of the series. Lily was such a little girl, so wishy-washy and stubborn about things that seemed juvenile. The series isn't awful, but I've read better and won't put any of these on my keeper shelf. I liked the Wife Lottery series by Jodi Thomas much more.
Libertylady
This is the first of the orphan series that I read. The H/H were Major Caleb Halliday and Lilie Chalmers. The setting is mostly in the Washington territory. I liked reading it very much and had a hard time putting it down once I got into it.
Ceej
Oct 25, 2010 Ceej rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this book three stars because Miller is one of my favs. That's the only reason. I'm not sure but Lily just wasn't a normal Miller heroine. She was quite annoying, uncompromising and spoiled considering she was orphaned.
Kasey
Mar 25, 2010 Kasey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not like this book. I was such a disappointment especially since it was a Linda Lael Miller book. The whole Orphan Train plot sounds really good and it is but the individual story was boring and annoying.
  • The Texan's Reward (Wife Lottery, #4)
  • Chasing the Sun (Blood Rose, #3)
  • Frontier Woman (Sisters of the Lone Star, #1)
  • Mustang Wild (Wild, #1)
  • A Convenient Wife (Montana Mavericks: The Historicals)
  • Rose (Seven Brides, #1)
  • Rachel and the Hired Gun (Men of Defiance, #1)
  • In a Cowboy's Arms
  • Come Spring (Storm Family, #3)
  • Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, #1)
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)
  • Wild Roses
As the daughter of a town marshal, Linda has come home to the western lifestyle that gave birth to one of today’s most successful authors. She left Washington years ago and pursued her wanderlust, living in Arizona and London and traveling the world. Now the author of more than 100 novels, the “First Lady of the West” is glad to be back home, writing contemporary and historical stories that have e ...more
More about Linda Lael Miller...

Orphan Train (3 books)
  • Emma And The Outlaw (Orphan Train, #2)
  • Caroline and the Raider (Orphan Train, #3)