Start by marking “Thinking Of You” as Want to Read:
Thinking Of You

Thinking Of You

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  5,710 Ratings  ·  237 Reviews
Ginny Holland's daughter Jem has headed off to university, leaving single mum Ginny with a severe case of empty nest syndrome. To make matters worse, the first gorgeous man she's clapped eyes on in years has just accused Ginny of shoplifting. So Ginny decides to advertise for a lodger but what she gets is lovelorn Laurel, who can only talk about her ex-boyfriend. However L ...more
Published January 25th 2007 by Headline Review (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Thinking Of You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thinking Of You

Allegiant by Veronica RothThe Transfer by Veronica RothThe House of Hades by Rick RiordanFangirl by Rainbow RowellThe Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks
2013 Book
36th out of 189 books — 174 voters
Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingWinnie-the-Pooh by A.A. MilneThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Best Books Must Reads
177th out of 188 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Suad Shamma
Nov 23, 2012 Suad Shamma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, own, 2011
I finished this book in half a day, and it was SO worth the read. Jill Mansell does it again for me, and I am so glad I trusted my instincts with her and bought 6 more of her books all at once! This is only my second, and I'm so pleased.

It had just the right ingredients blended together perfectly, it was utterly delightful. It made me laugh in all the right places, cringe in all the right places, gasp in all the right places, and get mad in all the right places.

The characters were very well-roun
Eva Wildeman
Jul 16, 2016 Eva Wildeman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heerlijk boek voor de zomer, typisch moeder en dochter dingen en leest heerlijk weg
Sara
Nice, easy, and funny read. Adorable love story.
What I particularly enjoyed about this book was the variety and complexity of the characters, you have Ginny as the protagonist, but the author explores and makes a role for all the surrounding people in her life. Assigning them bigger chunk of the book, as for her daughter Jem or best friend Carla, or just a bit of a story here and there as for depressed-tenant Laurel and womanizer ex-husband Gavin.
Plus you have a litter of kittens… made me crave
Aeron Trahaearn
So I bought this book for my bestest friend/cousin in the whole wide world (I know I am being cliche) and Of course I had to read it before I gave it to her!!
I really liked the cover of this book. It was the reason why I bought the book. I thought it was a bit on the subdued cute side you know?
The character were really cool in an old fashioned way? I mean I didn't like Jem. One. freaking. bit. But her mom was okay. I mean look at her relationship with her ex-husband!! It was damned awesome! heh
Els
Jan 10, 2016 Els rated it really liked it
Jill Mansell is absoluut een van mijn favoriete schrijfsters. Haar meest recente boeken las ik al allemaal maar er lag nog een hele stapel van haar oudere op mij te wachten. De hoogste tijd om er eentje van zolder te halen en mij erin te verdiepen.
En ja, hoor. Het was weer een juweeltje. Naast het onvermijdelijke voorspelbare einde zitten er ook een aantal verrassingen in en de humor is weer geweldig. Ik weet niet of het aan mij ligt, maar ik heb de indruk dat de ouderen nog net iets beter zijn
Filipa
Já li este livro! Lindo!

Absolutamente fantástico. Adorei. Ao contrário do outro que eu tinha lido dela, não me fez desesperar por ter um final desadequado. Este final foi lindo e não poderia ser melhor.

É um livro delicioso ! Devora-se num instante!
Decididamente, esta é uma autora para seguir. Estou rendida aos encantos dela.
Jenny Miller
Jun 08, 2012 Jenny Miller rated it it was ok
I've read plenty of good reviews by this author, and after the first disappointment I faced with another one of Jill Mansell's novels, I decided 'what the heck', and read another one.

There was no improvement. At all.

The story line just gets so boring and repetitive. The protagonist is always a gorgeous woman in her 30's who is head over heels for a guy she thinks she can't have. And the reason for this is always the same - she thinks that he's way out of her league, and that he doesn't like her
Amber
Jul 19, 2016 Amber rated it it was ok
Wie noemt z'n kind nou Jem? Ik had het leuk gevonden als afkorting, maar als volledige naam, ergerde ik me zo af en toe toch wel. Daarnaast zou ik nooit met iemand in huis gaan wonen die ik maar half ken zoals Ginny met Laurel heeft gedaan.

Dit was een prima boek voor een dagje vakantie, of een dagje trein zoals ik deed en daarnaast is het vrij voorspelbare plot toch nog wel omlijnd met een aantal onvoorspelbaarheden.

Het boek is erg langgeleden geschreven, ze gaan nog op zoek naar landkaarten. He
Kellie
Mar 30, 2008 Kellie rated it it was amazing
This has to be one of the best chik-lit novels I have ever read. This is loaded with plenty of drama and humor and it kept me wanting more and was very hard to put down. The story is about Ginny. Her daughter has left for college and she is alone. She misses her daughter terrible and doesn’t think she can cope. But she picks herself up and decides to do something about it. She rents a room in her house to a woman suffering from a broken heart. Her name is Laurel and her brother, Perry, is to die ...more
Sophie Van der beke
Een boek waarvan je spontaan een glimlach op je gezicht krijgt. Ginny is geweldig en Finn is een echte gentleman.
Shannon
I read based on feelings. And clearly, my life is in need of some sappy and sweet; also a hardy serving of predictable. Jill Mansell provides me with that. Sprinkled with British charm and humor, she's fluffing my blackened, withered heart, to a sickly gray, that looks a little more like a smokers lungs, and less like an unidentifiable hunk of road kill that's turned more into a grease spot for all the tires that have tread upon it. I'm positive many can say they abhor her, or they loath ridicul ...more
Rachael
Oct 19, 2009 Rachael rated it liked it
Cobweb looked at the clock. Oh my god, just twenty four hours before she would be in Trafalgar Square, queuing up to have her copy of ‘Thinking of You’ signed by the one and only Jill Mansell.

It wasn’t as if Mansell was her favourite author in the world, not by a long shot, but there was always something special about going to a book signing whether you were meeting J.K Rowling or Tim Bowler. The excitement was really starting to tug at her now, and a whole army of butterflies had gathered in h
Rachelle Ayala
Oct 20, 2013 Rachelle Ayala rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A charming and delightful story. Thinking of You is a multigenerational, community-based story centered around Ginny, an empty-nester, and her daughter, Jem, a freshman in college, and how they adjust to the changes in their lives.

An assorted cast of quirky minor characters add to the humor from the playboy ex-husband, Gavin, to the sexy strumpet best friend, Carla, to the neurotic new roommate, Laurel.

Ginny has several false starts in finding a new relationship, a new job, and a life without he
Heather (Kindles & Wine Book Blog)
Cute story. I really liked how things wrapped up for the various characters toward the end of the book - there weren't a lot of loose ends, and in a day of trilogies and series, I really appreciate books that stand on their own. For me, the first 25% or so seemed to be a lot of background setting for events later in the book - I didn't really get into the book until 30 - 35% of the way through it. Then I really enjoyed the parallel plot lines between mother and daughter.

There's also a lot of fo
Blodeuedd Finland
Mansell brings us many HEAs and personal growth.

First we have Ginny, divorced, working here and there and about to be home alone as her daughter Jem is leaving for uni. She is not happy and there will be a few mistakes on the way. But as this is a Mansell book there will also be happiness and hers will be in the form of love.

Jem, her 18 year old daughter will also find herself during this year and make her own mistakes. But some mistakes have to be made.

Then we also have Ginny's best friend Clar
Serena
May 29, 2013 Serena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thinking of You by Jill Mansell is another romp in the English countryside. Ginny Holland has a problem when she’s in emotional turmoil — her mind wanders and the tasks at hand just disappear from her consciousness. Even when she’s worried about her daughter’s first year at college in Bristol and away from home, Ginny is still not immune to the charms of a hot-looking man in an antique shop. But while she’s browsing and happily daydreaming about the man in the shop, he catches her red-handed wit ...more
Kim
Oct 30, 2014 Kim rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
Terrible. Terrible plot, terrible writing, terrible translation, terrible everything. No more Jill Mansell for me.
Romancing the Book
Mar 09, 2014 Romancing the Book rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Reviewed by Aubrey
Book provided by NetGalley for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

I embarrassingly enough have a bit of a love affair with all things British. The accent, the vocabulary and their love of tea. I love to read any book set in Britain. Thinking of You is a book after my own heart. Jill Mansell writes in a way that makes you want to pack your bags and move to England. Her characters are cheeky, eccentric and different from the typical North American character.

The c
Darlene
Feb 26, 2014 Darlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thinking of You by Jill Mansell released on May 7 from Sourcebooks. I know I say this every time I read a book from Jill Mansell but I’m going to have to say it again – I love her books! Jill is my favorite British author and I always look forward to one of her books with great anticipation and I have never been disappointed. Thinking of You was fantastic and it’s one of my favorites so far. I thought the storyline was great and the characters were the kind who seemed to step out of the pages of ...more
Elusive
Apr 12, 2016 Elusive rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
In ‘Thinking of You’, 38-year-old Ginny is a lonely single mother who desperately misses her daughter Jem who’s now spending her time in university. Jobless and having no company except for her glamorous best friend Carla and her playboy ex-husband Gavin, she decides to advertise for a lodger in order to make a new friend. However, things don’t turn out as planned. Meanwhile, she’s captivated by a handsome man who wrongly believes that she was shoplifting.

In typical Jill Mansell style, this book
Miren  Santiago
Nov 18, 2015 Miren Santiago rated it liked it
“Life doesn’t always turn out the way you expect, does it? You think you’re in control, but you’re not. It’s like getting on a plane to Venice, then getting off and finding yourself in Helsinki.”

Thinking of You is one of the books which I got from Booksale. I bought it because of the author, Jill Mansell, whose other book (Rumour Has It) I really liked. This book is a very easy reading, as I was able to finish it overnight. It is easy, relaxing, enjoyable, and very funny. The characters were suc
Zel Polev
Jul 11, 2016 Zel Polev rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
TheBookLionizer
Aug 09, 2015 TheBookLionizer rated it it was amazing
description

I am definitely a huge fan of Jill Mansell now!
All of her stories are so relatable, you don't feel shocked or surprised unless if you know someone who pokes condom to get instantly pregnant. DAMN that was mental!

The story of Ginny and her entourage was so adorable and realistic, you feel you're there witnessing it or part of the group of friends. I love how she stays friendly with her ex husband, how easily she could forgive her bff to get behind her back and sleep with her boyfriend. I had a
Lynn
May 23, 2013 Lynn rated it it was amazing
This is the second of Jill Mansell's books that I have read. They are fun and fast to read. I enjoy the characters in her books. They are people that you would want to know and have lives that aren't always perfect. A happy, fairy tale ending isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes it is nice to have some escapism when reading. I will be looking for more books by this author.
Celeste
Feb 03, 2015 Celeste rated it it was ok
While I did enjoy some of the dialogue and the setting, I found the plot to be predictable and much of the characterization cliche. At first, I could relate to the protagonist, Ginny. She's a late-30s divorcee suffering from empty-nest syndrome who gets drawn to a questionable man who answers her ad for a lodger. Her choices in many of the situations that follow made her less someone I'd relate to and more like someone I whose character I might question. The plot devolves into the kind of soapy ...more
Lisa
Mar 19, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I wouldn't say whether or not this book would be a 5 for everyone - maybe, maybe not - or even me on another day and time (for sure it would be a 4), but this just hit me right at the right time. Fun, fun, fun book! I hated Ginny in the beginning - total eye roll. But she started to show spunk around Chap 3 and kept getting better and better.

I think the best part of the book were the one liners - and they were everywhere! Someone else mentioned a few, but my favorite was "No one deserved to go
Annemarie
Jul 30, 2015 Annemarie rated it it was amazing
This book was fabulous. I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen to Ginny. I loved how her story paralleled her daughter's. I loved the story, I loved the characters, I loved everything. It was a fun book and easy to picture while reading!
Abigail
Apr 16, 2014 Abigail rated it really liked it
This was a book I wasn't expecting to like very much, but sort of got sucked in. It follows a woman in her late 30s who is a divorced empty nester. I found her to be a little pathetic, since she simpered so much about her daughter going off to college. My own daughter just went herself, so I wanted to relate to her experience, but I just couldn't. I found the story a little bit predictable in that I knew from the get-go how it was going to turn out, but I did enjoy all the characters and thought ...more
Isabella
Nov 18, 2014 Isabella rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Easy read, enjoyable. I liked it explored both mother and daughter lives...

However, the best-friend bit was a bit far-fetched.
Lobo
May 23, 2015 Lobo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Határozottan elégedett voltam a könyvvel, mert pont azt adta, amire vágytam: könnyed kikapcsolódást. Jill Manselben az a jó, hogy sok szereplőt mozgat, nem feltétlenül mindenkinek oldódik meg teljes hepiendre az élete, de persze azért a főszereplő révbe ér, viszont több kapcsolatot és helyzetet nagyon életszerűen tud megoldani. Jópofa történet, voltak benne meglepő fordulatok, kiválóan megírva és igényesen kiadva itthon (fordítás, szerkesztés, külalak mind mind dícséretes), Magyarországon is.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Thinking of You by Jill Mansell 1 5 May 13, 2013 02:58PM
  • Geknipt voor jou
  • Glazuur
  • The Love Academy
  • Who's That Girl?
Jill Mansell lives with her partner and children in Bristol, and writes full time. Actually that’s not true; she watches TV, eats fruit gums, admires the rugby players training in the sports field behind her house, and spends hours on the internet marvelling at how many other writers have blogs. Only when she’s completely run out of displacement activities does she write.

Jill Mansell's books have
More about Jill Mansell...