Start by marking “Politically Incorrect Guide to the Middle East” as Want to Read:
Politically Incorrect Guide to the Middle East
Preview

Politically Incorrect Guide to the Middle East (Politically Incorrect Guides)

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Why most of what you think you know about the Middle East is wrong
The Middle East: a region that's almost never off the front pages, yet one most Americans know little about. The mainstream media and Ivy League academics only make matters worse by casting everything in the usual politically correct mold: Arab terrorists are just desperate freedom fighters, and the region's
Published May 14th 2014 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Politically Incorrect Guide to the Middle East, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Politically Incorrect Guide to the Middle East

Jacob
There is a lot of good information in here, so it's worth reading if you're looking for something and you should know if you have any interest in this topic. This would have gotten four stars if the author had put as much effort into the book as they should have. It reads like "this is a summary of my experience in the middle east," including opinions without support and ideas that go unelaborated. That's what a book is for - filling out the gaps and making sure your arguments are supported! Esp ...more
John
A great primer on the Middle East from a very knowledgeable and non-partisan (despite this being a Conservative Book Club main selection) source. The amount of information being thrown at you is a little overwhelming, and the tone is a little dry, but this book will likely alter your perspective of the world at large.
Richard Macquarrie
This was a great book that was easy to read and I thoroughly enjoyed. There was a few grammatical errors that drove me nuts, enough in the beginning to become a small distraction. However with that said this book gave very new and insightful ideas on how America can do a better job with the middle east. I believe using Saudi Arabia in a greater capacity is a great and inspired idea. The author clearly has a great understanding of the middle east and his ideas should be carefully considered by ou ...more
Dwain
My favorite thing about the Politically Incorrect Guides is that you hear perspectives that don't often get talked about. I'm sure many of those in the know would dispute many of the things that are said, but I am glad to hear the other perspective that doesn't normally see the light of day. One example is that I have always wondered who exactly Palestinians were - because as far as I could tell they are just Arabs and there is nothing unique about them. Saying this is almost dangerous though, a ...more
Ray
A book with "political incorrectness" in its title might make you imagine that you're likely to be exposed to radical viewpoints, but I didn't feel the ideas expressed were grossly out of the mainstream. The author clearly isn't a fan of liberal author Michael Moore or ex-President Jimmy Carter, nor Bill Clinton to some extent, but there are plenty of people who share those views. If the few anti-Democratic Party comments in the book don't distract or distress you, then you'll find the book cont ...more
brendan
I learned bunches about the recent Middle East history. Somehow, the public schools that I attended for 16 years forgot to mention any of it.
Sief has his bias, and he is certainly clear about it, but his outline of the situation in the Middle East smacks of realpolitik and wonderful hindsight.

The best lesson I take from The P.I.G. to the Middle East concerns a warning to Americans: "We will never be able to apply our Western democracy onto another cultural group of people (particularly Muslim
Jeevan
We all keep wondering why Middle East is the way it is. Why can't there be peace? Why, in spite of best efforts by so many American Presidents, there is no hope for peace?

This book is a must read to answer all these and many more questions.

The biggest mistake we all make is assuming that what has worked for western civilization, and in India will work elsewhere. But the Authors clearly, using example of Ottoman Empire, show why the Middle east should be ruled the way they did it. And why The Ho
Handerson Lanzillotta
A lot of informations but a confused language
Leslie
This guy knows his stuff. Helped shed some light on an area of the world I've long wanted to have sorted out in my mind. Really enjoyed finding out the histories behind why things are the way they are over there and what we should be doing differently in our dealings with these countries (Hint -- it's a LOT different from what we actually ARE doing. Gee, I wonder why it's not working out so well...would love for Obama to read a copy of this).
David Robins
A main thesis is that Western-style democracy is not the answer in the Middle East, and it gets the point across using examples such as the Ottoman empire and present Saudi Arabian government. Good description of past and present conflicts in the region. Strong governments (that will quell extremists, as the Saudis do) and quiescent tensions seem to be the answer to prevent open war and let the people of region survive and prosper.
Thomas
I read it quickly and with ease, but the tone is thoroughly obnoxious. Much of the material is simply the author's opinions about events and policies that the reader has already encountered. The bright spot, if you choose to see it that way, is the part where he describes the rise of modern antisemitism in the Near East: earlier, bloodier, and more widespread than you might think.

Fast-paced, crisp narration.
Faez
The concept of the "politically incorrect" books is confusing. It claims to present arguments unacceptable by western academia. The question is who should we trust the professors of the academia or the right-wing war mongering of Martin Sieff? A depressing book which shakes any hope for the Middle East or humanity.
Atchisson
Not the best way to make friends with the self-proclaimed "open-minded", but it is certainly good information to know. All of this is available in different forms elsewhere, but this is a great collection of the basic facts.
Excellent info. on Middle East; balanced perspective; author shows good and bad decisions made by Arabs and Israelis, Democrats and Republicans alike. Gives reader a good grasp of what's happened/happening over there.
Karen
Easy read. It's nice to have a different view than what the media re-hashes or the people in cowboy hats and flag shirts at the congressional representative meetings are yelling.
Void lon iXaarii
Modern history told in a quite (dangerously) cutting edge way and with some rather surprising views & interpretations.
Mscout
Slly me, I didn't realize Politically Incorrect meant politically polarizing...
Deborah
Should be required reading for every American.
J.J.
J.J. marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Judah
Judah marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Matthew Dambro
Matthew Dambro marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Erich Nickman
Erich Nickman marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Alb.krist
Alb.krist marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to The South: (And Why It Will Rise Again)
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Bible
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to English and American Literature
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam (and the Crusades)
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming: And Environmentalism
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Darwinism  And Intelligent Design
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Vietnam War
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Real American Heroes
  • Whatever Happened to Justice?
  • The Sword of the Prophet: Islam - History, Theology, Impact on the World

Politically Incorrect Guides (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming: And Environmentalism
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam (and the Crusades)
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to The South: (And Why It Will Rise Again)
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Science
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Bible
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Socialism
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Western Civilization
Shifting Superpowers: The New And Emerging Relationships Between The United States, China And India That Should Still Be Us: How Thomas Friedman's Flat World Myths Are Keeping Us Flat on Our Backs Guia politicamente incorrecta de Israel y oriente medio (Ensayo/ Essay)