The Nine Lives of Montezuma

The Nine Lives of Montezuma

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Michael Morpurgo's yarn about the dangerous, exciting life of a farmyard cat from fiery kitten to tired old Tom. Age group 8+.
Published March 1st 2004 by Egmont Books (UK) (first published March 1980)

Discoverylover
I read this last night in an attempt to get my sleep back to normal hours (we'll see if it worked this evening!). As far as I'm concerned, Michael Morpurgo can do no wrong. I've been reading his books since I was a kid and I'm not sick of them yet. I love his way of taking historical situations and making them interesting for kids (and adults!), without dumbing them down at all.

This isn't one of his historical novels, but I still loved it. A story about a beloved farm cat and his 9 lives. Short...more
Annie
Have you ever read a bad book by Michael Morpurgo? I have to tell you how much I enjoyed this wonderful little book about the trials and tribulations of Montezuma the farm cat and his nine lives. It's quite large print and only took me an hour or so to read, but it really is one all you cat lovers mustn't miss. He's the most wonderful little character - this man really knows cats! - and his every adventure is a joy (I loved the baked bean tin story...) and those that are more traumatic have you...more
Anne
Michael Morpurgo really can do nothing wrong in my eyes. He is a wondrous author, and even though his books are aimed at children, I have not yet come across anything that he has written that I've not enjoyed

The reader falls in love with Montezuma, the farm cat who lives life on the edge! We all know that cats are supposed to have nine lives and this little book recounts each of Monty's near escapes in detail. Yes, I cried - throughout the story and especially at the end, but I loved every page.
Melanie Stand
I don't like cats but as I read this story to my two beautiful boys I grew to become rather fond of little Monty, so much so that as we sat and read the final pages I cried and I could barely get the words out. Just beautiful. Morpurgo is wonderful at story-telling for children, I particularly love how he doesn't 'dumb-down' or patronise children by shying away from difficult life-issues, all of which he deals with sensitively and positively. Wonderful.
Seonaid
From a near miss with a barn owl when just a kitten to a fight with the farm dog, Montezuma's nine lives are packed with excitement and, at times, sadness. In true Morpurgo fashion, the reader is spared nothing of the realities of life, and death, and the humans in the story are varied and complex, though mostly compassionate. I was in tears at the end, and poor Izzie had to finish reading it to me :) (Mind you, I'm in tears at the end of most of Michael Morpurgo's books).

Whilst not as powerful...more
Jen
<3 ed this very interesting story of a cats life told chapter by chapter of his 9 lives
Heather
Excellent.

I listened to this as an Audio book, read by Robin Bowerman, and he read it very well, adding to the story.

its about a larger Ginger Tom, with a white patch, Montezuma, who lives on a farm. He is a master hunter, and survives various situations and adventures. Getting snowbound with the sheep, was my favourite.
Emily Cox
Jan 19, 2014 Emily Cox added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children
very good, intresting, sad at times, and happy. Lures you in.
Nassra Zakwani
A wonderful book about a stray cat taken in by a family who were not great lovers of cats except for one boy called Mathew. He was given the name Montezuma as he was a survivor. He cheated death nine times. After getting to know Montezuma, the entire family loved him a lot. Its a great story on survival and hope...!
Joy Padley
This is the first Morpurgo book I have read, I picked it because the Cat looked like my cat also called Monty. Morpurgo is very clever in telling the cat's story through the 9 lives tale. I enjoyed it and it's a great book for childeren too.
Lynn Kyle-smyth
Heart breaking and heart warming book. Loved my me and my 12 year old alike. Monty the wonderful cat and his marvellous adventures keeps you entertained for the whole of this book. Michael Morpurgo is an awesome writer.
Pepe Cabrera
I love this book, it brought out the child in me. I love the story of the life of Montezuma, I can't help but to compare it to mine. The last chapter really made me cry, when that big black cat from his dream finally got him.
Tanja
A classical Morpurgo tale about the nine lives of a cat and the very special bond between the animal and it's human owner. I enjoyed how the narration of the story switches from animal to human and back.
Lara
this book was nice, but the last chapeter even made my dad cry, and he's not a cat type.quite sad this book is:( but the bits before Montizuma dies are full of excitement. a page turner this one is.
Fawaz H
A good story , a fast read , a happy/sad ending and a great heroic cat ^_^3.5/5 stars .

Fiona
Lovely little read, you can't help but fall in love with Monty!
Mhairi
Absolutly wonderful book! A real favourite.
Lorna
Pretty good!
Kathy Lane
Kathy Lane marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Sophie
Sophie added it
Jul 11, 2014
Holly
Holly added it
Jul 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Michael Morpurgo is the author of many books for children, five of which have been made into films. He also writes his own screenplays and libretti for opera. Born in St Albans, Hertfordshire, in 1943, he was evacuated to Cumberland during the last years of the war, then returned to London, moving later to Essex. After a brief and unsuccessful spell in the army, he took up teaching and started to...more
More about Michael Morpurgo...
War Horse (War Horse, #1) Private Peaceful Kensuke's Kingdom The Butterfly Lion The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips