Start by marking “Cool!” as Want to Read:
Cool!

Cool!

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  1,356 ratings  ·  95 reviews

Discover the beautiful stories of Michael Morpurgo, author of Warhorse and the nation’s favourite storyteller

Michael Morpurgo’s inspiring story of Robbie, a boy in a coma – victim of a car accident. Locked inside his own head, able to hear but not move or speak, Robbie tries to keep himself from slipping ever deeper into unconsciousness.

Robbie, football fan and animal love

Published 2004 by Collins (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Cool!, please sign up.

Aliyah This book tells the story about a boy, who gets hit by a car and ends up in the hospital, whilst his family feel strongly sorry for him.Most of the…moreThis book tells the story about a boy, who gets hit by a car and ends up in the hospital, whilst his family feel strongly sorry for him.Most of the chapters tell how he felt, his inabilities and how he couldn't wake up. Even though his favorite football player came that still didn't wake him up but luckily his dog, Lucky arrives and he ends up being such a lucky dog after all.
The book is very touching!(less)

Lynda
Dec 04, 2014 Lynda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults and children who enjoy quality children's literature. Aimed at children 9+

A coma is a state of unconsciousness where a person is unresponsive and cannot be woken.

Imagine this. You are lying in a hospital bed, in a coma, apparently dead to what is happening around you. But you experience it all the same, hear what is being said about and to you, and try in vain to communicate with your loved ones and the world outside.

That is what happened to Robbie Ainsley, a 10 year old boy who spent over 6 weeks on a life support system in Wonford Hospital after being struck by a ca
Hannah Burgess
Cool tells the story of a young boy who after getting hit by a car ends up in hospital in a coma. The story is told from the boy's thoughts whilst he is in a coma. when his family and friends visit him you read that his thoughts lie mainly with waking up and his inability to do so and the frustration he feels (especially when his favourite football player arrives!) and it is eventually the arrival of his dog Lucky which finally wakes him up.

This story touches on a number of issues such as grief
Harry Li
I like this book very much and i think its very touching. The story is about a narrator called Robbie and his dog lucky, his parent are divorced long time and one day his dad came and wants talk to Robbie's mom and his mom wants Robbie avoided this conversation so she told him took lucky for a work and Robbie ask his mom for some money for ice cream and he said cool but his mom don't like cool this work and she went angry and told Robbie go out and Robbie took lucky for a walk but Robbie forgot ...more
Amy Barrett
Cool by Michael Morpurgo

Cool is a story about a boy called Robbie. Robbie and his dog Lucky were involved in a car accident and Robbie finds himself in a coma and trapped in his own mind unable to react or move but he can still hear everything going on round him. His family and friends all try different ways to help him wake up from the coma.

As Robbie is unable to react he describes the emotions, sounds and smells he can experience. The book deals with the issue of separated parents as well as t
Anne
Cool by Michael Morpurgo tells the story of a young boy (Robbie) who after getting hit by a car ends up in hospital in a coma. Morpurgo is able to tell the story from the Robbie’s thoughts. When Robbie’s family and friends visit him, he has the frustration of not being able to wake from his coma. This is even the same when his favourite football player comes to see him. But will he awake when his dog 'Lucky' arrives to see him? Especially as he thought he was dead!

Morpurgo is able to touch on is
Emily
I learnt that the things or people you really love can save your life,also that dogs are really important to some people.
Another thing that i have learnt is that you can still here the people when there in a coma.
This book is about a boy called Robbie who was chasing his dog aross the road because a car was coming and his dog was running after a cat.He ran out into the road and a car hit him.He was raced to hospital and thats all he could remember.
Robbie was really brave but on some days he just
Savindi Jayasuriya
Name:- SAVI Date :- November 23, 14
Book Review Graphic Organizer
Directions: Fill in the information below to help you organize your ideas for your book review.
Title: COOL
Author: Michael Morpurgo
Story Elements
Setting (Time, Location, etc.)_____________________________________________________________

List the Main Characters and their traits.

The main character is Robbie and he is the main character in the in the book because he was in a Coma and he said what it felt like to be in a Coma and all
Vanessa Henriques
Written by Michael Morpurgo and illustrated by Michael Foreman ‘Cool!’ tells the story of Robbie Ainsley, a 10-year-old boy who had been in a coma after being knocked down by a car while running after his dog Lucky.
As the story begins to unfold, the reader becomes aware that although Robbie is in a coma, he is aware of everything that surrounds him such as sounds, voices and smells. The reader also learns that Robbie’s parents are going through a divorce which Robbie blames himself for by just
Joe
Robbie has been hit by a car and is now in a coma, this story is about what he is thinking inside his head and how his parents try to wake him up.

The characters are Robbie, Gianfranco Zola, his parents, a nurse, Lucky (Robbie's dog) and Dr. Smellybreath.

The setting is in a hospital ward, in England.

This book is in 1st person, because it is inside his head (the opinion of other characters come in Robbie's perspective, through what he hears) .

This book is okay for mature children, because the voca
Molly
This book is also brilliant, but heart-braking. A boy in a coma after he ran after his dog. Nothing or no one seems to be able to wake him up, exept when his favourite footballer comes to pay him a vistis. This book makes me.............. cry :'(
Leo
I've found this laying around the house this morning and I gave it another read. It's better than I remember, the end brought me to tears again. Damn you, Michael Morpurgo.
Menaka Sankaralingam
Robbie lies in coma after a terrible and serious car accident. He cannot speak or move. He can only hear. After the car accident, he thinks his dog Lucky is dead. His parents and relatives do everything they can to wake Robbie from the coma. His friends from the school send him get-well messages. Sometimes, he tells himself that maybe he is in the middle of a bad dream or a nightmare and once he wakes up, it will be fine. But do their efforts bear fruit?

An interesting and endearing tale of a you
Charles Lor
I liked this book very much because the ending was very sweet and was very touching. I thought this book described how someone being trapped inside a coma feels like. Morpurgo uses a simile to describe what it feels like. "Being inside a coma is like being locked in a room on the outside", This made me understand the pain people go through when inside a coma. It captured the lonely desperate feeling someone have when being trapped in a coma. He also mentions in the book because he is trapped in ...more
Shreya
This story is about a boy and a dog.One time a boy fell into a coma. The dog and the boy's mother thought about the time that the boy was great. The dog thought they liked to play football at the playground.He fell into a coma while he was playing soccer. His mother thought he smiled when he ate food that he liked. HIs mother and the dog and other family members hoped the boy would get well.

I think this book is little bit difficult,but i liked it.I know some other books written by Micheal Morpo
Lilys
This book is about a boy named Robbie and his dog, Luck who both got hits by a car. Robbie went into a coma and he couldn't do anything. Many of his friends, family and even a football star came to see him but nothing would help him wake up. Will he ever 'wake up'? I really liked this book because it was a shory, sweet and sad. I think people should read this book if they like sad storys which turn out to be happy.
Just
My 9 year old read this book at school. I was worried that it might be a difficult read for him having experienced many family members dying in hospital but he seemed to enjoy it. I think it gave him a positive spin on hospital stays in that people do get better in hospital and they don't always die.

For me it was an interesting read and brought back a lot of difficult memories.
Jack
For book reviews and more, please visit my book blog, The Book Stop

I thought the idea of the storyline was great but the same events basically just kept recurring. I felt like there was no climax in the story. It just began and it ended. I wasn't hooked into the book wanting to know how it ends because I already knew. It was a bit predictable. I never really got to know what the characters personalities were like. It wasn't very descriptive and I couldn't make a picture of it in my mind. Overall
Saffron
BhkcfyjycujkbbuiygugikbuigvhiytfftiyyiftougyivgivygugiuifytfutyvuugtiuyrfcfyyoiftfufudfigyfitfffyfVhgvtfyiviyvviygyfcvguuyccytvyuguvyfvugyuvygiftyifygivyghgvigyivgyihgivivghguhguvuhvvugycguvcugvgcjcuvcgfyB ijjyhyhhyhhgbybbyb
Sasha Bunn
Very good book. I read this a few years back for a school reading quiz and really enjoyed it. This was probably one of the books that got me into reading and I strongly recommend it to readers of all ages.
Theodore Murphy
Cool is a small but perfectly formed and well written book. It was the first book to make me cry. Truly amazing and depressing at the same time. A must read for everyone!
Emily Drummond
This was a poignant book, suitable for all ages, that made me cry, laugh and feel something amazing. I couldn't put this book down. It was so emotional.
Mira Issa
Cool book!
I enjoyed this book a lot but i thought it was too short and i just wanted more and more, but its a very enjoyable book
Sophie Uzar
Sad story with a happy ending.

It's a nice quick I read it in half and hour.

3 STARS
Bethany
I read this 8 years ago and it's still one of the best stories I've ever read! Morpurgo is a genius
Mitchell Graves
This book is okay but it gets quite boring. I like the start but I hate the finishing.
❁ ✌ Eman ✌ ❁
This was one of our class reads and I absolutely loved it!
Jasmine Chung
i think it was good to read and it was interesting too
Aya Darwash
Advertising to the car brand from the tradeamarks inc!!!!!
Den
Second time I have read this book - more relevant to me now as I work with childrne in a hospital setting.
One of the pupils is reading this for school and as I couldn't recall all the ins and outs I thought I had better read it quickly myself - a good excuse to re-visit a Morpurgo book.
Basically Robbie goes into a coma after being in an accident after chasing his dog across the road. Everyone (family, friends, stars, nurses) try to bring him out of the coma but things are not looking good when s
Stephenie Oxley
A very touching story with a great ending.
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book Review 3 1 2 Aug 15, 2014 06:22AM
  • Jacky Daydream
  • My Dad's Got An Alligator
  • Dead Man's Cove (Laura Marlin Mysteries, #1)
  • Mr Stink
  • Sophie's Lucky (Sophie, #6)
  • Horrid Henry And The Abominable Snowman
  • The Mopwater Files (Hank the Cowdog, #28)
  • Daisy, Dad and the Huge, Small Surprise (Ally's World, #10)
  • The Stormin' Normans
  • I Know What You Did Last Wednesday (Diamond Brothers, #6)
  • The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm
  • The Broken Token
  • Floss
  • The Very Lazy Ladybug Pop-Up
  • Genius Ideas [Mostly] (Tom Gates, #4)
Michael Morpurgo is the author of many books for children, five of which have been made into films. He also writes his own screenplays and libretti for opera. Born in St Albans, Hertfordshire, in 1943, he was evacuated to Cumberland during the last years of the war, then returned to London, moving later to Essex. After a brief and unsuccessful spell in the army, he took up teaching and started to ...more
More about Michael Morpurgo...
War Horse (War Horse, #1) Private Peaceful Kensuke's Kingdom The Butterfly Lion The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips