Start by marking “SpongeBob SquarePants and Philosophy: Soaking Up Secrets Under the Sea!” as Want to Read:
SpongeBob SquarePants and Philosophy: Soaking Up Secrets Under the Sea!

SpongeBob SquarePants and Philosophy: Soaking Up Secrets Under the Sea! (Popular Culture and Philosophy #60)

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  36 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
SpongeBob SquarePants and Philosophy is designed to introduce fans of SpongeBob SquarePants to some of the great thinkers and questions in philosophy. The essays can be shared by young and old alike, kindling new interest in philosophy and life’s big questions. What keeps SpongeBob “reeling in” major audiences on a daily basis is that underneath the lighthearted and whimsi ...more
Published August 9th 2011 by Open Court (first published August 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about SpongeBob SquarePants and Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about SpongeBob SquarePants and Philosophy

Ted
I didn’t finish this book, read about 30% of it. Really I was just sampling the series of “Pop Culture & Philosophy” books, and chose this one because (a) my grandkids have enjoyed the TV series, (b) my son claims to like it, and (c) I’ve seen enough of it myself when the grandkids watch to at least know what the book is talking about.

Actually, if I leave it sit near where I read, I might read more.

I wanted to give it 3 stars. I chose 4 for the reason stated at the end of My Reaction.

I thin
Ginan Aulia Rahman
Oleh Hasbi Ilman Hakim

Dalam kedalaman laut yang mencekam bersama langit yang berbunga-bunga, keluarlah seekor spons kuning dari nanas yang berpintu, berjingkat-jingkat melewati rumah model patung Easter Island sembari melantunkan nada harian dengan semangat, “Aku siap, aku siap, aku siap!”.

Dan adegan selanjutnya –bagi kita yang selalu menontonnya setiap hari di layar televisi—mampu kita tebak: Squidward, seekor gurita yang cukup ambisius dalam meraih harga dan kejayaan diri, berteriak kasar kepa
pearl
Dec 30, 2011 pearl marked it as to-read
Shelves: philosophy
I actually own this (as an ebook) and I am going to read it and tell you all about it.
Hana Bilqisthi
Selama ini gue selalu mikir ada pesan apa yang bisa gue dapet dari menonton spongebob dan gue ngga menyangka ada sekumpulan orang yang membahas spongebob dengan serius.. mereka adalah Joseph j. foy dan rekan-rekannya.. buku ini memberikan pandangan baru dalam memahami karakter-karakter dalam spongebob squarepant dan bikini bottom .. entah dalam cara mendapatkan kebahagiaan, keadaan negara yang ideal, gmbaran ilmuwan, teman sejati dan banyak hal lainnya :)

beberapa qoutes yang gue suka:

“money is o
Sylvester
Sep 23, 2015 Sylvester rated it did not like it
Shelves: philosophy
Such a rip-off. SpongeBob SquarePants and Philosophy is a terrible hack collection on essays with over the top interpretation of the characters and episodes to convey some sort of propaganda of the writers. This pop culture philosophy book will only make you regret reading it.
Elysa
Jul 09, 2014 Elysa rated it it was amazing
I thought this would be slightly ridiculous, but it ended up being incredibly insightful and informative. I understand a lot of the ideas discussed better after seeing how they relate to Spongebob, and it gave me interesting information about the show and people's reactions to it that I had never known.
Mega Larasati
May 06, 2015 Mega Larasati rated it really liked it
I really like Spongebob and this is an interesting book. I only read the first 4 chapters since I got it for free on Google Books but it's really worth it, especially for you who like popular culture.
Batty Amnesia
Jul 27, 2015 Batty Amnesia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Keby som to mala celé zhrnúť tak knihu som si naozaj obľúbila ale určite by sa tu našli menšie chybičky. Tá pre mňa najhlavnejšia je tá, že to nie je pre každého fanúšika SpongeBoba a ja sama som sa pri čítaní občas potrápila. Niekedy som už zaspávala, pretože azda iba filozof by dokázal filozofickú knihu prečítať na jeden šup. Ale ak ste fanúšik tejto morskej špongie tak naozaj vrelo odporúčam. Samotná anotácia by chcela prilákať i malých čitateľov ale toto by zrejme po prvej strane odložili.
h
David
A fun introduction to different western philosophers and philosophical issues through popular entertainment.
Rhianna
Jan 02, 2012 Rhianna rated it really liked it
The first thing I do when I finish school is read a book with chapters written by two of my favorite professors. I liked it. I enjoyed the chapter relating to dreams, it makes me want to read more by Descartes since it's been a while.
Norma
Apr 05, 2012 Norma rated it really liked it
It was surprisingly enjoyable and insightful.
Eva
Eva added it
Jul 17, 2016
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Cassie Dowell
Cassie Dowell marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Shelby Suderman
Shelby Suderman marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Austin Mann
Austin Mann marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Abir
Abir marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Tom Palladino
Tom Palladino marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Kimmy
Kimmy added it
May 08, 2016
Aaronita Juanita
Aaronita Juanita marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Aydan
Aydan marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Rosie
Rosie is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2016
Natalya
Natalya marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Artemis
Artemis marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
John Irony
John Irony rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Popular Culture and Philosophy (1 - 10 of 64 books)
  • Seinfeld and Philosophy: A Book about Everything and Nothing
  • Baseball and Philosophy: Thinking Outside the Batter's Box
  • The Sopranos and Philosophy: I Kill Therefore I Am
  • Woody Allen and Philosophy: [You Mean My Whole Fallacy Is Wrong?]
  • Harry Potter and Philosophy: If Aristotle Ran Hogwarts
  • Mel Gibson's Passion and Philosophy: The Cross, the Questions, the Controverssy