Start by marking “Village Affairs” as Want to Read:
Village Affairs

Village Affairs (Fairacre #13)

Open the gate to Fairacre, America's favorite English village.
The English village of Fairacre may appear idyllically peaceful to passersby, but those who live among its shady lanes always have problems to untangle. When a terrible rumor emerges -- that the Fairacre School is to be closed and the children bused to nearby Beech Green -- the village is up in arms at once. Th
Published November 7th 2007 by Mariner Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Village Affairs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Village Affairs

Apr 30, 2009 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hi! First of all, I made a mistake when I was clicking on the stars and I ended up with one star instead of 5! I enjoyed his book very much. In fact, I own the complete collection of Miss Read books and reread them often. I especially enjoy the Fairacre series because Miss Read's adventures in the classroom sound very familiar to me.
Mar 12, 2016 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When life gets crazy, there's nothing like escaping to Fairacre. Another enjoyable read in this series!!
Oct 01, 2016 Ro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great tale from Fairacre. Highly recommended.
Jun 10, 2014 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy these books so much. This story dealt with the possibility of Fairacre school being closed. Rumor run rampant and Miss Read worries that she will lose her happy situation as Fairacre school's headmistress. Of course that's not the only thing for her to worry about. She worries about little Joseph Coggs and his two sisters, who attend Fairacre school. Their Father, Arthur Coggs, Fairacre's major trouble maker,drunkard, thief, wife beater and all around louse has finally gotten his ...more
I always enjoy reading Miss Read, but over all this story was depressing. Aside from Miss Reads concerns about her life and future which really weigh her down, there are sides stories about two other women. Both of these are hapless creatures who are buffeted by life but are too ignorant or stupid or foolish to help themselves in any way.

One is happy that she gets beaten by a strap instead of a belt buckle and the other considers bread and some canned sauce adequate nourishment for her four chi
Jun 14, 2009 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another gentle Miss Read book -- easy to read and enjoyable -- she doesn't mince words in her "criticisms" of human nature, exemplified by the characters she writes about -- not only is Mrs Pringle described so well that one almost cringes when she is involved, you also "love" the curmudgeon because Miss Read makes you realize that Mrs Pringle (and other "characters") also have some good points. This book one has the constant worry about the closing of Fairacre school -- will it, or will it not? ...more
Apr 27, 2012 Tami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Miss Read book. I was looking for something different at my local library and literally just pulled this off the shelf one day.... That was somewhere around 1979 or 1980...and it's been love ever since. I have read all her books, most of them several times over, and enjoy them immensely. I also got a few of my friends following her and we have had some chats over the various characters. I am not sure I can say which I like better, Fairacre or Thrush Green, when I am reading abo ...more
Linda Orvis
Aug 02, 2008 Linda Orvis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anglophiles
I've been collecting the Miss Read books for about ten years and have never read one...until now. What a treat! Okay, not everyone is such an anglophile as myself, but if you are you'll enjoy all the nuances of English life that are contained in these books. Miss Read is a schoolteacher in a small English Village. You guessed it; the reader learns all the foibles of the citizenry. No, nothing earthshaking happens, unless, of course, you think rumors of the school about to close or that one of th ...more
Sep 02, 2016 Angelica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
This was a fairly good book. A piece of England in a time gone by. A slice of life seen through the eyes of a school teacher. When faced with the potential closure of Fairacre, Miss Read must do her best to muddle on until she learns her fate. While she does her life (as it should) is inextricably linked with others in her little village. With lots of description and a fair amount of drama... Village Affairs is a very cute little story and I am going to keep an eye out for the others in this ser ...more
Apr 01, 2010 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book goes back to the formula of little vignettes from Fairacre village life, with small upsets, small triumphs and a lot of gossip. Minnie Pringle (no better than she should be!) has some tribulations regarding men. There's still discussion about if the school should be closed. Arthur Coggs gets pinched for stealing (no better than he should be!) and the vicar is endearingly vague. What's not to like?
Miss Read is nervous when she learns that Fairacre School might be shut down, causing her to lose her beloved teaching job and causing the students to be bussed to faraway schools. If that isn't enough to keep her mind racing, she must deal with the problems of her neighbors and friends in this little village of the Cotswolds. The story was cute, but seemed to drag on at times. I actually enjoyed the finally couple chapters the best.
Aug 08, 2008 Sallie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book in my huge pile of books to read for years. I finally decided to pull if out of the bunch and read it. So far, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Why did I wait so long??

Finished this yesterday. I really liked this book and shall be looking for other Miss Read books. I know my local library has 7 or 8 titles.
Jan 16, 2011 Melee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been months since I lasted visited Fairacre and let me say, it has been far too long! I had forgotten how happy these books make me. Miss Read's gentle humour and quirky cast of characters never fail to make me smile.
Lise Petrauskas
Dec 28, 2011 Lise Petrauskas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Oh I do love me some Miss Read! Her books are not cloying as once I feared. Self-deprecating, insightful, comic, and heart-warming (but not falsely so.) The perfect accompaniment, with Gwen Watford's excellent narration, to any activity. The world seems a better place with Miss Read in it.
Apr 29, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such tender stories from an English village schoolteacher... One of the blurbs on the dustjacket says it best, "Don't you long, every once in a while, for a story about people you might like to know, leading lives you would enjoy?"
Dec 23, 2012 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Will Fairacre school close and put Miss Read out of her job and home? I would have enjoyed more about the villagers and daily affairs in Fairacre and less about the possible school closing and Minnie Pringle's love life. As always, Joe Coggs charms.
Christie Curry
Jan 22, 2013 Christie Curry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of Miss Read's books are spectacular IMO! I have read both the Fairacre series and Thrush Green, Fairacre being my favorite between the two, and they are gentle, wonderfully pleasant books!
Karen Latto
Karen Latto rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Kristina rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2015
Jeanne Gale
Jeanne Gale rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2011
Sharon rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2011
Iona Bauer
Iona Bauer rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Sandy  Kemp
Sandy Kemp rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2011
Edith Clark
Edith Clark rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Badgwendel Badgwendel
Badgwendel Badgwendel rated it it was ok
Dec 10, 2011
Joppe rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2013
Mary rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2011
Roberta Jones
Roberta Jones rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2014
Sharanya rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2016
  • Bel Lamington
  • Intrigue In The Village
  • Not All Tarts Are Apple
  • Sunlight on the Lawn
  • The Sunny Side: Short Stories and Poems for Proper Grown-Ups
  • The Grub-And-Stakers Move a Mountain (Grub-and-Stakers Mystery, #1)
  • The Recycled Citizen (Kelling & Bittersohn, #7)
  • The Heart of the Family (Eliots of Damerosehay, #3)
Dora Jessie Saint MBE née Shafe (born 17 April 1913), best known by the pen name Miss Read, was an English novelist, by profession a schoolmistress. Her pseudonym was derived from her mother's maiden name. She began writing for several journals after World War II and worked as a scriptwriter for the BBC.

She wrote a series of novels from 1955 to 1996. Her work centred on two fictional English villa
More about Miss Read...

Fairacre (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Village School (Fairacre, #1)
  • Village Diary (Chronicles of Fairacre, #2)
  • Storm in the Village (Chronicles of Fairacre, #3)
  • Miss Clare Remembers (Fairacre, #4)
  • Over the Gate (Fairacre, #5)
  • Village Christmas (Fairacre, #6)
  • Fairacre Festival (Fairacre, #7)
  • Emily Davis
  • Tyler's Row (Fairacre, #9)
  • The Christmas Mouse (Fairacre, #10)