Start by marking “Staying with Conflict: A Strategic Approach to Ongoing Disputes” as Want to Read:
Staying with Conflict: A Strategic Approach to Ongoing Disputes

Staying with Conflict: A Strategic Approach to Ongoing Disputes

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  22 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Winner of the 2009 CPR Award for Outstanding Book In this groundbreaking book, Bernard Mayer, a pioneer in the field of conflict resolution, offers a new paradigm for dealing with long-term disputes. Mayer explains that when dealing with enduring conflict, mediators and other conflict resolution specialists need to move past the idea of how quickly they can resolve the con ...more
Published January 28th 2009 by Jossey-Bass (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Staying with Conflict, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Staying with Conflict

Charlotte
Sep 13, 2011 Charlotte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mediation-books
I like to read mediation books rather slowly, a chapter at a time, trying to apply what I'm learning as I go. This most recently completedis one that has had and will have a great impact on my attitude about what I do as a mediator. Bernie Mayer (and I'll take the liberty of shortening his name as he is a fellow Nebraskan that I have heard speak) begins by claiming that the thought that mediation can resolve all conflict is not realistic, because conflict is part of what defines who we are--poin ...more
Stela
Great book on conflict!

While most books focus on conflict resolution and reaching an agreement (as soon as possible), this book focuses on the though and often hidden and underestimated challenge of handling an ongoing conflict, and takes a strategic approach to solving long-term conflicts.

Scott Harris
Feb 16, 2013 Scott Harris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mayer helpfully points out in this collection the hard reality that all conflict is not as resolvable as is often portrayed in conflict resolution writings. In fact, his approach outlines a fairly reasonable perspective for facing ongoing conflict, managing the emotions and interactions that are central to it and mitigating the risks associated with letting it get carried. This book fills a much needed space in the conflict resolution spectrum.
Feb 21, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I read this for my conflict class, but it was so interesting I would have kept reading even if I weren't in the class. Interesting insights into the nature of conflict, power and narratives.
mathilda_craft
mathilda_craft marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
JMU Talent Development
JMU Talent Development marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Carrie
Carrie rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
Laura Matson
Laura Matson marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Jen Jacques DeFranco
Jen Jacques DeFranco marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Vanessa Roebuck
Vanessa Roebuck rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Summer Breeze
Summer Breeze marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Princeton
Princeton marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Jessica Salyers
Jessica Salyers is currently reading it
Apr 02, 2015
Dimitri
Dimitri rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2015
Logan Key
Logan Key marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Tizeta
Tizeta marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Marjorie
Marjorie marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Nan
Nan rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Amccyoung
Amccyoung rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2014
Leah
Leah rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Carmen
Carmen added it
Sep 30, 2014
Ruth Freedman
Ruth Freedman marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Summer
Summer rated it it was ok
Jul 23, 2014
Dennis Gingrich
Dennis Gingrich rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2014
ellen
ellen added it
Apr 21, 2014
Kevin Mcguyen
Kevin Mcguyen rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2014
Maggie Delano
Maggie Delano marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014