Start by marking “The Gifting” as Want to Read:
The Gifting

The Gifting (Gathandrian Fantasy Trilogy #1)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  15 reviews
NB: This book is a FREE download at Smashwords and Omnilit Books.

Simon Hartstongue is a mind-reader, and branded a coward and a murderer. When his overlord and lover Ralph Tregannon turns against him, he is forced to embark on a treacherous journey to the distant and magical land of Gathandria in order to save his country and his own soul. During a series of terrifying tri
Published May 31st 2011 by Bluewood Publishing Ltd (first published May 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Gifting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gifting

Arthur
When I was reading this book, I felt heavy. Not from the sophisticated concepts or the depth of reality brought alive by the story. Far from it. It's from, "another LOTR wannabe" that drags all kinds of difficulty upon the MCs. Like LOTR (Book 1), the MCs are in a journey to certain place. Unlike LOTR, however, we don't actually know what's going on except they need to get to their destination place ( only toward the end we learn why .

In the meantime, we read about betrayal (is it?), spy, etc.,
Ayanna
Jul 03, 2013 Ayanna marked it as gave-up
Shelves: dnr, hahahaha-no
Not sure what happened/was supposed to happen, but what I read about was definitely not what the blurb talked about. The advanced praise shit annoyed me because bitch, don't tell me what to think.

It was written in third person present tense interspersed with present perfect. Why? Why would you do something like that? And the "switching between characters" thing was weird. It didn't really feel like there was a need to do so.

And it dragged on. It just felt melodramatic. I couldn't get into the s
Helen Thompson
I'm afraid I found this enormously derivative. While I have to admire someone who has the skill to write and has the patience to do it, I really don't think this is going to cut it in the world of fantasy fiction. There are just so many better books out there in my view.

The characterisations were not bad but I found the dialogue pretty stilted and the whole "executioners mind cane" premise contrived. It may work for others but certainly not for me.

Writing less than favourable reviews is tough
Lynn Worton
I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

This is a fantastic fantasy that kept me glued to the pages! I loved it!

Johan and Isabella are brother and sister. They are complex characters. Johan is a man of pure spirit; he is kind and considerate. Isabella has a secret, and is willing to kill to protect it. They have been sent on a mission to find Simon, in the hopes that he will be The One to stop the mind-executioner, Gelahn.

Simon is another fantastic character
Nithu
I really enjoyed this first installment and I'm really looking forward to the second book in the trilogy. The world Anne has created is interesting and I loved the legends and stories that go with it, eg, the different constellations and their meanings.

The only niggle I had was the multiple POVs. This is something I always have mixed feelings about. I love knowing what is going on in eveyrone's head (I am one of nature's nosey parkers!), but usually find it a wrench when the POV is switched to a
Monica
Johan and his sister, Isabella, must find, rescue, and retrieve Simon to stop the ongoing war.

The heavily detailed narrative and dialogue is told from multiple points of view which tends towards the verbose. However, the different points of view blend well into each other, and the details are rich and varied.

All of the characters are flawed and hiding things, which makes it difficult to like them; however, as they grow and open up as the tale progresses, likability increases.

Due to the subject m
Dana
I received this book in a First Reads contest! The Gifting was written in an interesting way in which the author wrote from each character's point of view with a title beforehand so that the reader would be clear on who's "voice" they were reading. I have never seen this style before, and was unsure at first if I would like it, but I actually found it enjoyable. It was interesting to hear different points of view on the same situations from the various characters. I believe this was the author's ...more
Nancy Carbajal
A fantasy about a brother and sister with mind gifts who look for a cousin to save their beloved city. Somewhere in the middle of the story where they have the part about the snow birds, I was starting to loose interest but I kept on. I wanted to know Simon's story. Simon's character was the most human and interesting part. Great writing, but fantasy is not the easiest subject for me, but Simon's story made it that much more easier for me to stay with it. Simon is in love with another man, but t ...more
Bran Burne
Wow. Such a good read. Starts out slow, but by the end its epical.
Johnny
I don't read much fantasy, which immediately colors my opinion on "The Gifting". The world described in this book is filled with magic, but I had a hard time grasping its "rules" and thus its inhabitants. Though travelling with Simon, Johan and Isabella grew on me after a while and I was very much intrigued by them and their personality. Annyeke's part of the story confused me again but I was glad to realize at the end her importance and the bigger part she will no doubt play in the sequel, "Hal ...more
Nicci
Original review at: http://twlibreviews.com/2011/08/revie...

What I like about the The Gifting by Anne Brooke is the imagery of the Kingdom of Air where the ravens resided and protected Simon. It was the ultimate test. It brings Simon hope, for he had been forbidden his history and what he was. It was also a place of renewal where Simon dares to step to the plate and grant something precious to the Boy, the only person in this story I could redeem Simon for his past actions.

I could not fully inve
Tahlia Newland
The Gifting is a unique fantasy where mental and physical worlds merge in a flight of unrestrained imagination. Unlike much fantasy I’ve read lately, this book soars with hope. It’s a story of redemption gained through a mystical journey through earth, air, fire and water that tests the deepest recesses of a man’s soul.

From the blurb: The mind-dwellers of Gathandria are under deadly siege. For two year-cycles they have suffered: their people decimated, their beautiful city in ruins. Their once
As ever with Anne Brookes, she achieves the unexpected. This is an unusual fantasy with a compelling 'hero' and a beautifully realised world. Far from reverting to the usual and familiar in fantasy Brookes gives us a cast of unforgettable characters and an adventure that is at once a physical and spiritual journey. This is a story that lingers in the mind - I am so looking forward to the next instalment!
Chas
Aug 11, 2011 Chas is currently reading it
Shelves: first-reads
This is a Goodreads.com First Reads giveaway. Looking forward to receiving it!
Rachel
Dec 31, 2013 Rachel marked it as owned-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unread-mm
*downloaded free on ARE
MBJ
MBJ marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Pati
Pati marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Connie
Connie added it
Apr 04, 2015
Ajumi
Ajumi added it
Mar 07, 2015
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Pati Cain
Pati Cain marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Tammie
Tammie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
  • Broken Phoenix
  • Ivan the Heartless
  • Equipoise (Ennek #3)
  • Memories and Marco
  • Maps
  • Blue Skies
  • Honky Tonk (Honky Tonk, #1)
  • The Fall (The God Slayers Quartet #1)
  • Nor Iron Bars a Cage
  • The Lord of Twink's Bottom
  • Hidden Love (The Hidden Series, #4)
  • In Liam's Wake (The Makeshift Soldier #1; Toys and Soldiers, #5)
  • A Call to Arms (The Chronicles of Arden, #1)
  • The Red Sun Rises
  • Into the Woods (Searching for Eden #1)
  • Playing with Food
  • The Fairy Gift
  • Crowchanger (Changers of Chandris, #1)
Anne Brooke lives in Surrey, UK. She is a multi-published author in a variety of genres, including gay erotic romance, fantasy, comedy, thrillers, biblical fiction and the occasional chicklit novel. Her fiction has been shortlisted for the Harry Bowling Prize (for novels set in London) and the Royal Literary Fund Scheme.

When not writing, she spends time in the garden attempting to differentiate be
More about Anne Brooke...

Gathandrian Fantasy Trilogy (3 books)
  • Hallsfoot's Battle
  • The Executioner's Cane (Gathandrian Fantasy Trilogy #3)
Where You Hurt the Most The Delaneys And Me (The Delaneys, #1) Entertaining The Delaneys (The Delaneys, #2) The Art of the Delaneys  (The Delaneys, #3) Dating the Delaneys (The Delaneys, #4)