The Gifting

The Gifting (Gathandrian Fantasy Trilogy #1)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  16 reviews
NB: This book is a FREE download at Smashwords and Omnilit Books.

Simon Hartstongue is a mind-reader, and branded a coward and a murderer. When his overlord and lover Ralph Tregannon turns against him, he is forced to embark on a treacherous journey to the distant and magical land of Gathandria in order to save his country and his own soul. During a series of terrifying tri...more
Published May 31st 2011 by Bluewood Publishing Ltd (first published May 11th 2011)

Arthur
When I was reading this book, I felt heavy. Not from the sophisticated concepts or the depth of reality brought alive by the story. Far from it. It's from, "another LOTR wannabe" that drags all kinds of difficulty upon the MCs. Like LOTR (Book 1), the MCs are in a journey to certain place. Unlike LOTR, however, we don't actually know what's going on except they need to get to their destination place ( only toward the end we learn why .

In the meantime, we read about betrayal (is it?), spy, etc.,...more
Ayanna
Jul 03, 2013 Ayanna marked it as gave-up
Shelves: dnr, hahahaha-no
Not sure what happened/was supposed to happen, but what I read about was definitely not what the blurb talked about. The advanced praise shit annoyed me because bitch, don't tell me what to think.

It was written in third person present tense interspersed with present perfect. Why? Why would you do something like that? And the "switching between characters" thing was weird. It didn't really feel like there was a need to do so.

And it dragged on. It just felt melodramatic. I couldn't get into the s...more
Helen Thompson
I'm afraid I found this enormously derivative. While I have to admire someone who has the skill to write and has the patience to do it, I really don't think this is going to cut it in the world of fantasy fiction. There are just so many better books out there in my view.

The characterisations were not bad but I found the dialogue pretty stilted and the whole "executioners mind cane" premise contrived. It may work for others but certainly not for me.

Writing less than favourable reviews is tough...more
JC
Jun 23, 2013 JC rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Just didn't do it for me, you know? The story felt disjointed, I wasn't invested in any of the characters, and I found myself skimming a lot. The trials were too -- I don't know, they felt too powerful and godlike. I guess I'm just not a fan of nonhuman forces playing judge, jury and executioner. I don't normally mind a shifting POV, but I think in this case the number of viewpoint characters probably bogged down the narrative. I didn't even really mind that Simon had done those things for Ralph...more
Monica
Johan and his sister, Isabella, must find, rescue, and retrieve Simon to stop the ongoing war.

The heavily detailed narrative and dialogue is told from multiple points of view which tends towards the verbose. However, the different points of view blend well into each other, and the details are rich and varied.

All of the characters are flawed and hiding things, which makes it difficult to like them; however, as they grow and open up as the tale progresses, likability increases.

Due to the subject m...more
Johnny
I don't read much fantasy, which immediately colors my opinion on "The Gifting". The world described in this book is filled with magic, but I had a hard time grasping its "rules" and thus its inhabitants. Though travelling with Simon, Johan and Isabella grew on me after a while and I was very much intrigued by them and their personality. Annyeke's part of the story confused me again but I was glad to realize at the end her importance and the bigger part she will no doubt play in the sequel, "Hal...more
Nicci
Original review at: http://twlibreviews.com/2011/08/revie...

What I like about the The Gifting by Anne Brooke is the imagery of the Kingdom of Air where the ravens resided and protected Simon. It was the ultimate test. It brings Simon hope, for he had been forbidden his history and what he was. It was also a place of renewal where Simon dares to step to the plate and grant something precious to the Boy, the only person in this story I could redeem Simon for his past actions.

I could not fully inve...more
Lynn Worton
I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

This is a fantastic fantasy that kept me glued to the pages! I loved it!

Johan and Isabella are brother and sister. They are complex characters. Johan is a man of pure spirit; he is kind and considerate. Isabella has a secret, and is willing to kill to protect it. They have been sent on a mission to find Simon, in the hopes that he will be The One to stop the mind-executioner, Gelahn.

Simon is another fantastic character...more
Tahlia Newland
The Gifting is a unique fantasy where mental and physical worlds merge in a flight of unrestrained imagination. Unlike much fantasy I’ve read lately, this book soars with hope. It’s a story of redemption gained through a mystical journey through earth, air, fire and water that tests the deepest recesses of a man’s soul.

From the blurb: The mind-dwellers of Gathandria are under deadly siege. For two year-cycles they have suffered: their people decimated, their beautiful city in ruins. Their once...more
Nithu
I really enjoyed this first installment and I'm really looking forward to the second book in the trilogy. The world Anne has created is interesting and I loved the legends and stories that go with it, eg, the different constellations and their meanings.

The only niggle I had was the multiple POVs. This is something I always have mixed feelings about. I love knowing what is going on in eveyrone's head (I am one of nature's nosey parkers!), but usually find it a wrench when the POV is switched to a...more
Dana
I received this book in a First Reads contest! The Gifting was written in an interesting way in which the author wrote from each character's point of view with a title beforehand so that the reader would be clear on who's "voice" they were reading. I have never seen this style before, and was unsure at first if I would like it, but I actually found it enjoyable. It was interesting to hear different points of view on the same situations from the various characters. I believe this was the author's...more
Nancy Carbajal
A fantasy about a brother and sister with mind gifts who look for a cousin to save their beloved city. Somewhere in the middle of the story where they have the part about the snow birds, I was starting to loose interest but I kept on. I wanted to know Simon's story. Simon's character was the most human and interesting part. Great writing, but fantasy is not the easiest subject for me, but Simon's story made it that much more easier for me to stay with it. Simon is in love with another man, but t...more
As ever with Anne Brookes, she achieves the unexpected. This is an unusual fantasy with a compelling 'hero' and a beautifully realised world. Far from reverting to the usual and familiar in fantasy Brookes gives us a cast of unforgettable characters and an adventure that is at once a physical and spiritual journey. This is a story that lingers in the mind - I am so looking forward to the next instalment!
Chas
Aug 11, 2011 Chas is currently reading it
Shelves: first-reads
This is a Goodreads.com First Reads giveaway. Looking forward to receiving it!
Bran Burne
Wow. Such a good read. Starts out slow, but by the end its epical.
Rachel
Dec 31, 2013 Rachel marked it as owned-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unread-mm
*downloaded free on ARE
John
John marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Pastor
Pastor marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Debbie
Debbie added it
Mar 22, 2014
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Tracy Piccolo
Tracy Piccolo marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Darksummers
Darksummers marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Julianna
Julianna marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Carcinogenic
Carcinogenic is currently reading it
Feb 17, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Anne Brooke’s fiction has, in the very distant past, been shortlisted for the Harry Bowling Novel Award, the Royal Literary Fund Awards and the Asham Award for Women Writers. She has also twice been the winner of the DSJT Charitable Trust Open Poetry Competition but doesn't quite know how she managed it. She is the author of eight published novels, her latest being The Executioner's Cane, an epic...more
More about Anne Brooke...
Where You Hurt the Most The Delaneys And Me (The Delaneys, #1) Entertaining The Delaneys (The Delaneys, #2) Maloney's Law (Maloney's Law #1) The Art of the Delaneys  (The Delaneys, #3)