Start by marking “Wish for a Fish: All About Sea Creatures” as Want to Read:
Wish for a Fish: All About Sea Creatures

Wish for a Fish: All About Sea Creatures (The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  608 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The Cat in the Hat, Sally, and Dick take an undersea voyage aboard the S.S. Undersea Glubber! Traveling down from the Sunny Zone to the Dark Zone to the Trench at the bottom, Captain Cat and his crew get up close and personal with the different life forms found at each level of the ocean. Along the way, they meet sharks, jellyfish, dolphins, manatees, whales, and sea cucum ...more
Published April 6th 1999 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Wish for a Fish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wish for a Fish

Alessandra
Dec 03, 2013 Alessandra rated it did not like it
To label this book "Dr. Seuss" is too much.
He never yet wrote it, nor genius it touched.
It's flat, it's pedantic, it leaves children bored,
The very things Teddy S. Geisel abhorred.
Go read some real Dr. Seuss if you wish.
Let these hand-puppet zombies drone on about fish.
Jeffrey Hite
Oct 12, 2012 Jeffrey Hite rated it did not like it
I do my very best not to groan out loud when my kids bring me this or one of the other in the series. to read. It is usually the younger ones who bring them to me so I usually will read them but they are really awful. Thank goodness the older kids realize how bad these books really are.

We have a number of the books in this series and the best thing I can say about them is that the pictures are interesting.

The rhymes are really a stretch. Most of the information is sketchy at best, though it mig
Mitel Patel
Wish for a Fish All About Sea Creatures (Cat in the Hat's Lrning Libry) by Bonnie Worth

This book is fantastic for a Water topic or a topic based on Sea Creatures. It gives an insight to what kinds of things you can find in the ocean. It goes down to different sea levels and looks at the different sea creatures that live in the sea and how they live.

A fantastic non-fiction book for early KS2. It would be a great book for a children to write a book review on it as they can learn a lot from the facts in the book and comment on whether they liked the book or hot and why.
Aubrey Foulds
Nov 19, 2015 Aubrey Foulds rated it really liked it
Join the Cat you know in a journey under the sea to learn about the different zones and the animals that inhabit them! This book takes information that could otherwise be dull and livens it up with rhymes and the silliness you're used to in a Dr. Seuss book. The pictures may be slightly exaggerated, but the facts provided are accurate.

Part of The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library, a series that provides eye-catching, fun books on subjects that children might otherwise miss or avoid!

I tend to ski
Valarie
May 17, 2016 Valarie rated it really liked it
This is not actually written by Dr. Seuss, so the writing doesn't have the same beat and whimsy that his original works did. For kids who enjoy rhyme, though, it is a great introduction to the ocean zones. Even parents can learn something! It's a bit long for preschool age, but will be a great choice when they want to delay bedtime ; )
Madison
Feb 15, 2015 Madison rated it really liked it
This book teaches kids about dolphins mantes and where all these creatures live it is a wonderful book that teaches kids about marine life it teaches them about the sunny zone to the dark zone I thought this was A wonderful book that I would like to read again
Brittany Hastings
Nov 20, 2012 Brittany Hastings rated it really liked it
Grade level: 2nd
Lexile: 540
Main Character: Cat in the Hat, Sally, Dick
Setting: Ocean
POV: 3rd
Genre: Informational

-Summary: This book is an informational text about the different characteristics of fish. The Cat in the Hat goes on a journey undersea to discover many different types of fish that live in the ocean. Accompanied by Sally and Dick, they go aboard the SS Glubber to explore the ocean. Along the way, the Cat in the Hat learns about many fish under the sea and teaches the others about wha
Heather
This book really isn't for beginning readers as it contains a lot of difficult words. But it is written in a style like Cat in the Hat.

Here we learn about sea creatures. You might have figured that out from the title. Maybe not. Anyways, it's pretty basic information. It talks about the different layers of the ocean and about a few of the animals that live in each layer. It discusses food chains as well. All fairly short, but concise.

We used this in our ocean studies and it really helped the 4-y
Amber
Feb 10, 2009 Amber rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
My classmate in my reading methods course read this book to us. For an activity she briefly discussed the book and all the different sea creatures and where they live in the ocean. A mural would be presented of the layers in the ocean with examples of which sea creatures live in each of the layers. Students then will participate in drawing sea creatures either from the book or sea creatures they like on construction paper and cut them out. Each student will come up and tape their sea creature on ...more
Oana Cerchezan
This book is a really great book to use in the fourth garde. Dr. Seuss never fails at making even what might seem like the most boring of subjects interesting by using rhymes. An activity the teacher can do is assign each table a certain 'zone' that it has in the book and let them use their creativity to tell about that certain zone. The teacher should have different requirements for each grade level.
Cornelius
Dec 05, 2010 Cornelius rated it really liked it
Shelves: rhyming-books
For first kindergarten children, this is an excellent book to read to children so they can learn about different creatures that live in the ocean. I would use this book in the classroom to help children to listen to rhyming words while learning about sea creatures, such as jellyfish and sharks.
Actonacademyguatemala
May 16, 2013 Actonacademyguatemala rated it really liked it
Two kids went under the sea with the Cat in the Hat. They see lots of kinds of fish. They see sharks and lots
of fish. I gave it four stars because its not so interesting the book. KL
Karen
Sep 14, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool, read-again
My 3 year old likes to read this one a lot. I am a new fan of the Dr Seuss Learning Library. There is the fun of the Cat in the Hat plus the learning.
Alex
Mar 18, 2010 Alex rated it liked it
Shelves: for-children
It's not Dr. Seuss, and the meter is frequently abused, but there are some fun facts and drawings in this work of nonfiction for preschoolers.
Yvette Guillen
Aug 08, 2011 Yvette Guillen rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-read
My kids love this one! My son is entering first grade in a couple weeks and he can read it independently!
Teri
Apr 11, 2011 Teri rated it liked it
Shelves: oceans
Good concepts taught--pictures are crummy--3.5 stars
Angela Barakat
I read this with both my children.
Erin
Jun 03, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
O
Michelle McPherson
Michelle McPherson marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Evelyn Lopez
Evelyn Lopez rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Aarti Rawat
Aarti Rawat rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Grace Garcia
Grace Garcia marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Allie
Allie added it
Jun 06, 2016
Ghassanali
Ghassanali marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
  • On Beyond Bugs (Cat In The Hat's Learning Library)
  • Ben Franklin and the Magic Squares
  • A Tree Is a Plant (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Wings on Things
  • Great Day for Up
  • How Do You Lift a Lion?
  • Humphrey the Lost Whale
  • C is for Clown
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • Down Comes the Rain
  • From Tadpole to Frog
  • Pandas
  • What Is the World Made Of?: All About Solids, Liquids, and Gases
BONNIE WORTH is the author of countless books for young readers, among them the Cat in the Hat Learning Library books If I Ran the Rain Forest, HarK! A Shark!, Oh Say Can You Seed? (winner of the 2003 Ohio Farm Bureau Award), Wish for a Fish, Oh Say Can You Say Di-No-Saur?, Would You Rather Be a Pollywog?, Ice Is Nice!, and Safari, So Good!

More about Bonnie Worth...

The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • My, Oh My--A Butterfly!: All About Butterflies
  • Clam I am
  • Fine Feathered Friends: All About Birds
  • A Great Day for Pup!
  • Hurray for Today!: All About Holidays (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • I Can Name 50 Trees Today!: All About Trees
  • If I Ran the Rain Forest: All About Tropical Rain Forests
  • Inside Your Outside: All About the Human Body (The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • Is a Camel a Mammal?
  • Oh say can you say di-no-saur?

“[image] Alessandra wrote:

To label this book "Dr. Seuss" is too much.
He never yet wrote it, nor genius it touched.
It's flat, it's pedantic, it leaves children bored,
The very things Teddy S. Geisel abhorred.
Go read some real Dr. Seuss if you wish.
Let these hand-puppet zombies drone on about fish.”
3 likes