Start by marking “Creature” as Want to Read:
Creature

Andrew Zuckerman

Creature

4.53 of 5 stars 4.53  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Photographer Andrew Zuckerman's strikingly detailed images of animals from around the world are as delightful as they are inspiring. This collection of astonishing studio portraits of 175 wild creatures from baby leopards to parrots, bears, mandrills, and many more are stunningly foregrounded against white backgrounds, depicting their subjects with rare sensitivity, insigh ...more
Published December 1st 2008 by Chronicle Books (first published October 25th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Creature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creature

Book Concierge
This is a book of stunning photography of various animals ... from millipedes to chimpanzees. The photography is beautiful and evocative. Sometimes an extreme close-up (a cockatoo's feathers), other times a full-length portrait (a magnificent cougar). All the animals are photographed against a stark white background, really making the creature itself the focus of the art.
Mary Crabtree
"Creature" is a fresh and starkly modern example of animal photography. Each animal is displayed on a bright white background so that nothing detracts from that moment in time frozen by the camera. You see an Owl in flight but so close you feel you could touch it. The Lion in a full toothed roar. There is no text, no explanation. The picture, or should I say the animal, speaks for itself.

I love this book because even though there are goats and wolves...among the more exotic and unusual, they are
Kelly
Zuckerman's photography is a WONDERFUL addition to my classroom library. My preschoolers pour over the photos and the immense detail gives them plenty to pour over. The photos are accessible and compelling. I love Zuckerman's work.
Shonna Froebel
This large-format photography book has wonderful images of many animals, from insects to grizzly bears.
The photographs include some close-ups and all open your eyes to the variety of textures and the detail of each animal. You can stare at some photographs for a long time, just taking in the detail.
From the quills of a porcupine to the toes of an elephant, this will have you taking a new look at each animal included.
LINDA
I read about this book in a magazine and was estatic when it finally arrived for me at the Library!

Amazing, the photographs against the stark white background really pop off the page. I found myself petting the pages thinking that I would be able to feel the textures becaus it looks so real. (silly me!) There was so much detail. The patterns that nature has created are exhibited perfectly here!

e
- captured the personalities of these creatures .
grimacing toads,
balled up armadillos,
'no pictures' squirell.
puffed porqupine,
and a centipede montage!
all beautifully executed on stark whit backgrounds.
this would be neat as a flipbook...
one question:
how do you fit a giraffe in a photography studio???
John Beeler
Beautiful and piercing. Will become a case study for designers, photographers, and artists on how to employ whitespace as a narrative, visual tool.

Bought it for Cosi for Christmas and I am sure the pages will get torn from wear. I'm ok with that. This book deserves to be explored.
Heather
The photography in this book is exquisite. I love how Zuckerman captures the animals' characters in such a striking way that you feel almost as if you can peer into their souls. Perfect for animal lovers of any age.
Heidi
fantastic! love the photography - ruby loves it too there were a few ohhhs and aws throughout the book from her and she hugged at least 10 of the animals. Got it from the library but I NEED TO OWN THIS BOOK!
Christiane
I took this to my school visits this year...even though it is huge and I walk to my schools....it was that good. All ages can enjoy these remarkable photographs.
Brenda
First learned of this book when the author was interviewed on 'Ellen'. Right then I knew I had to have it. The pictures are unbelievable. I would love to see more.
Jessica
This book, and its sister "Bird" are AMAZING! Everything is shot on a white background and there are no words or charts to clutter up the beautiful pictures.
Frank
Beatutiful and revealing close-up photographs of a wide range of animals. I found myself staring for a while at some of the models.
Chrissy
The pictures in this book are amazing. All animals are on a white background so you can really see the detail of each species.
Heather
Zuckerman portrayed each animal as an individual being, and beautifully captured the essence of animal emotions.
This is one of my favorite 'coffee table' books EVER. The pictures in this are amazing. Love love it.
Debrarian
Amazing, candid portrait-style photographs of all sorts of animals. Large coffee-table sized gorgeous book.
Tessa
Baboons are crazy looking! They are more like werewolves than wolves.

These photographs are great.
Parker
Amazing photography of animals!!
Emily
Really cool photographs of animals.
Ellen
Un-freakin'-believable.
Clynn
Clynn marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Ross Marshall
Ross Marshall marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
  • Charles Harper's Birds and Words
  • Unlikely Friendships : 47 Remarkable Stories from the Animal Kingdom
  • Pavement Chalk Artist: The Three-Dimensional Drawings of Julian Beever
  • Hurry Up and Slow Down. Layn Marlow
  • Unusual Creatures: A Mostly Accurate Account of Some of Earth's Strangest Animals
  • 101 Cataclysms: For the Love of Cats