Start by marking “Purple Dots CL” as Want to Read:
Purple Dots CL

Purple Dots CL

Joshua Bennett has just been nominated by the President to be head of the CIA. Everyone agrees that his confirmation hearing will be a mere formality. But this is Washington, and it soon becomes clear that someone wants Joshua's confirmation vetoed. So Bennett turns to a little known cadre of retired CIA spies for help. This odd team of senior spooks embarks upon a Washing ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 338 pages
Published April 1st 1999 by Thorndike Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Purple Dots CL, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Purple Dots CL

Gospodyina
Oct 09, 2016 Gospodyina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culled, fiction
A fun read for folks living in or around DC.
Jeruen
Jun 09, 2011 Jeruen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got back to my reading habit. And after a brief stint with Central Asian literature, I went back to contemporary lit. For this time, I picked up this book, Purple Dots by Jim Lehrer.

This is supposed to be a spy novel, but somehow, it feels different than your traditional John le Carre or Robert Ludlum novel. It is a page-turner, but it is of different quality. But first, the synopsis.

So the story is told from two points of view: first from the point of view of Charles Henderson, who is a 60-so
Sylvia Stocker
I only recently learned that Jim Lehrer has written a ton of novels, though where he finds time outside of hosting "News Hour" is beyond me. So, I decided to read one to see what I thought. The book was well done, I thought, but the subject matter wasn't really my thing, I guess. This novel is about the intrigue surrounding an appointment of a new CIA director. I'm guessing Lehrer knows something about Washington intrigue, so the book was believable in lots of ways... but sad and discouraging, t ...more
Kevin
Jun 18, 2008 Kevin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horribly boring and infantile story about a man who is seeking confirmation as Director of Central Intelligence. One Congressman has his own plan which means making sure that the DCI nominee is not confirmed. Now the friends of the DCI nominee must do everything in their power to ensure their friend is confirmed. What these friends do is just one step up on what junior high pranksters do. Very boring and it reduces CIA agents to nothing more than juvenile delinquents with slightly more elaborate ...more
Jc
Jun 15, 2010 Jc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who would have thought that Jim Lehrer (of MacNeil & .../Newshour fame) would also be a fabulous, imaginative novelist? This is the third of his novels I have read. J.L. actually is very good at plot twists and character development. I also get the idea he really amuses himself with his writing. This one deals with behind the scenes life in D.C., specifically CIA appointments. A nice tale, with a touch of intrigue, of what upper level agents do after retirement. A short, well constructed rea ...more
Chris Burland
This a loose sequel to Blue Hearts. There's mention of the outcome of that book in Purple Dots and if you can you should read Blue Hearts first so as not to spoil the plot of that book.

Purple Dots is a good page turner. Lehrer does craft a tight narrative. The interesting thing about this book is the use of dual narratives from competing protagonist/antagonist. So the majority of the core plot is told from two competing points of view.
Mr. Gottshalk
It was an interesting tete-a-tete between a Senator and a retired CIA spy, angling to deny or confirm the appointment of the next Director of the CIA. Relatively short at 224 pages, I thought that this book was like ordering a fast food meal and then being a bit disappointed when you're finished, but still hungry. I guess Jim Lehrer has a lot on his plate, being a news anchor and all. It's an ok book with some clever machinations but in my mind, "White Widow" is his best effort.
Aug 02, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE THIS BOOK. I think it has so few average stars because not many folks have read it. I have read it 10 times over the past 15 years. Jim L. is quick witted. And doesn't waste time with words. I enjoyed his characters.
Michael
Apr 03, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great novel that depicts the CIA using purple dots on their cars so they won't get ticketed or towed in Washington, DC. Neat book that was a quick read. People actually began putting purple dots on their cars thinking they wouldn't get towed!
Bart
Mar 03, 2014 Bart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining
chris
Jul 12, 2009 chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
jim lehrer is really a fun writer. wasn't sure i would enjoy this book on insider washington. a great summer read.
Tara
Jan 23, 2010 Tara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
New nominee for CIA director enlists help from retired CIA friends to find out why his nomination is being sabotaged in the Senate.
Coyla
May 01, 2012 Coyla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun quick read. I don't usually like political type books but this one is the exception.
Susan
Feb 14, 2010 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE this man's books!!
Andrew
Sep 23, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It wasn't as good as other Lehrer books I have read, but still good.
Joann
Easy to read - fast moving Washington D.C. based mystery. Nothing complicated - would pick up another Lehrer mystery.
Jacque
Jacque rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2013
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was ok
Sep 30, 2009
Denny Hebson
Denny Hebson rated it did not like it
Jun 08, 2014
David Hatch
David Hatch rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2015
Phil Klassen
Phil Klassen rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Beth Williams
Beth Williams rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2012
Greg Willis
Greg Willis rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2012
Claire
Claire rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2010
David Lister
David Lister rated it did not like it
Nov 02, 2013
Ernesto
Ernesto rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2009
Rick Smeaton
Rick Smeaton rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2007
Tom Davis
Tom Davis rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
James Charles Lehrer is an American journalist and the news anchor for The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer on PBS, known for his role as a frequent debate moderator during elections. Lehrer is an author of non-fiction and fiction, drawing from his experiences and interests in history and politics.

More about Jim Lehrer...